ADVERTISEMENT

Cal’s Instagram post

The pulse of the fans in this program is not the same as it is on this and other boards. The average Kentucky fan isn’t calling for Calipari to be fired and replaced. They are irritated that this season isn’t going well but they know Calipari has earned the right to correct it over a couple seasons.

Yep. Some here think almost the whole fanbase is as angry as them..... [laughing]

You build teams not just on talent but based on what you need and what fits your system. No matter how many stars are by their names. Scouts aren’t always right and we see that every year.

They miss but it’s rare. It’s not the scouts missing on the talent or lack there of as much as it is players not being willing to conform or put in the work necessary to take the game to the next level.

Reactions: awf
It comes out now, kool aid drinker hypnotized by Cal. Well you better care about the SEC tourney this year. It may the only way UK gets in is to win it.
So all you basically care about is the 3 weeks in March? Sounds just like Cal.
Who cares if we lose all time wins, don’t catch UCLA and tie up the UNC series. The draft is 6 months away. Lets go!

You're acting like it's an either or situation. outside of dook, nobody else is trying to do what Cal is doing.
How is it other schools are winning titles then? Why are they able to win at a high level and not having a new roster every year?
Yes I know, Self, Williams, K, etc are not coming to UK. Who is pining for them? But to act as if UK can only win with Cal and the way he is trying to do it is just plain ridiculous.
Cal has a lot of people believing your last sentence. I thought it was mostly the younger posters but theirs some older ones that will say the same thing. I don’t get it, but they really believe you can’t win recruiting traditionally, like pretty much everyone else does. Lol

They miss but it’s rare. It’s not the scouts missing on the talent or lack there of as much as it is players not being willing to conform or put in the work necessary to take the game to the next level.
Scouts rarely missing? That’s not true at all. It happens with high ranked kids and lower ranked ones all the time.

It comes out now, kool aid drinker hypnotized by Cal. Well you better care about the SEC tourney this year. It may the only way UK gets in is to win it.
So all you basically care about is the 3 weeks in March? Sounds just like Cal.

Tournament championships are great for schools that rarely get one or rarely get anywhere in the big boy tournament. They are small time for the top programs. It’s why we make fun of Kansas for winning the mighty Big 12 all the time and treating it like it matters.

Last edited:
Name the coach that would replace Cal and take us to an E8, F4 and Championship in their first three years? I mean you’ve seen it in your lifetime, right? You can’t do it. It’s never happened in your lifetime. But I get it, you said Cal needed to recruit more guys that look more like you, so I see your angle. Hard to believe you said that, but lucky for you they yanked it quickly.
Ridiculous take. Is Cal ever going to repeat that?

You may be right about some but not me. I’m not really a “Calipari fan” but I recognize the shit hole we were in before he arrived. That includes the shit hole Smith pulled us down for several years. Talk about mediocrity......I digress.

What I’m hearing is let’s go recruit the one or two marginal 3 stars Kentucky produces annually and then find 10 or 11 other 3 star marginal players around the country, try to coach them up over 4 years with the hope that we might....might get a shot at making it past the sweet 16 every 5-6 years. Honestly, as a fan, I’m not interested in watching a bunch of players that should be playing at WKU or Alabama or Ole Miss develop over 4 years and POSSIBLY give us some excitement in the tournament 1 out of 4 years.

Every coach on the planet knows you go after the best possible talent and athletes you can find to give you the best opportunity to win year in year out, not some feel good story about a Kentucky kid who outshined all others in high school because the others won’t be getting any D1 offers, much less high D1.
Did you realize Tubby lost 40 games his last 5 years and Cal has lost 39 games in his past 5 years? I suspect after this season when you compare last 5 years Cal’s will be significantly worse than Tubby’s.

Honestly.........no.

But I worry because I'm of the mindset that regardless of whatever system Cal chooses, the playing field is getting more and more level and thus it's going to be even harder to win titles in the future.

I mean the two best teams in basketball right now are Gonzaga and Baylor lol. Where are the other bluebloods at?

I really hate to say that when this is all over we might look back on 10 and 15 and be like damn.........those were the shots are multiple titles.

But it is what it is and I'm going to root for this team regardless of what system or coach we got
Villanova won in 2016 & 18 and UNC won in 17. Duke won in 15 and KU was the best team by a mile last year.
The blue bloods are still winning titles. But not the way Cal is trying to do it.
The new NBA rules are going to make it even harder on Cal. Not only will he not h
be getting transcendent/generational kids, he won't even be getting the guys he's gotten the last 5 years. I mean, the guy has to stop this and change course, like now, or this program is going to crash hard.

Like I said, it has more to do with the players not making it work than it does lack of talent and skill that a scout “missed.”
We all make mistakes, even scouts sometimes. It happens. I see your point though just don’t fully agree with it.

Tournament championships are great for schools that rarely get one or rarely get anywhere in the big boy tournament. They are small time for the top programs. It’s why we make fun of Kansas for winning the might Big 12 all the tome and treating it like it matters.
Nonsense. Every game matters. Just because Cal doesn't care about them means nothing. I'm curious what he does care about outside of NBA draft talk and NBA contracts.
Sure seemed important when Pitino was here.

Did you realize Tubby lost 40 games his last 5 years and Cal has lost 39 games in his past 5 years? I suspect after this season when you compare last 5 years Cal’s will be significantly worse than Tubby’s.

Surely you aren’t comparing Smith to Calipari.......Smith left Kentucky and struggled to stay above .500 at every new stop and lower at some including his latest stop, High Point. That’s were they send the great ones to finish their careers.....High Point.

Some fans want to slam Calipari and pretend Smith was better. It’s absurd. If they are honest, they would choose Calipari every single season as their coach if given the opportunity to choose between Smith and Calipari. No responses needed on this one....we all know the truth.

Surely you aren’t comparing Smith to Calipari.......Smith left Kentucky and struggled to stay above .500 at every new stop and lower at some including his latest stop, High Point. That’s were they send the great ones to finish their careers.....High Point.

Some fans want to slam Calipari and pretend Smith was better. It’s absurd. If they are honest, they would choose Calipari every single season as their coach if given the opportunity to choose between Smith and Calipari. No responses needed on this one....we all know the truth.
Uh? nobody is saying Tubby>Cal we are saying Cal is identical to Tubby in the last 5 seasons. Hint: that’s not good.

That's not what people are saying at all.People aren't wanting Tubby back but pointing out the fact that Cal's and Tubby's record the last seasons are disturbingly the same.

Nonsense. Every game matters. Just because Cal doesn't care about them means nothing. I'm curious what he does care about outside of NBA draft talk and NBA contracts.
Sure seemed important when Pitino was here.

I will agree every game matters. The only reason we are having this side discussion is someone mentioned Joe B with 8 SEC championships as if it’s a huge accomplishment. We don’t need to hang tournament championship banners. That gives you bragging rights over 15 other schools. I’m looking for bragging rights over over all of college basketball. That’s what we strive for at Kentucky.

Hall had 3 NCAA final 4s with a title, runners-up and an NIT title when that was more than it is now

8 SEC titles in 13 years (2nd most ever)
Hall had arguably the most difficult job in College Basketball at the time. Following Rupp was no easy task and every move he made was magnified to the utmost. He built a great program his own way. He made a Final Four the year before retirement and did an amazing job with his 1985 team, which was his last. Unless Cal makes some hard changes, which he won't, he'll never get close to another FF while he's here.

I was trying to be respectful but I haven’t heard anyone say that scouts don’t miss before. First time I had heard that.
I've been watching UK Basketball for over 56 years and have seen players come and go. I've also seen a lot of so-called "Can't miss prospects" flame out. Every coach at UK has had their share that didn't pan out but the most overrated player, IMO, was Brett Bearup, with Dirk Minnifield a close second. However, Skal has to be right up there with them. I will say that both Bearup and Minnifield played hard but Skal was about as lazy as I've ever seen.

I've been watching UK Basketball for over 56 years and have seen players come and go. I've also seen a lot of so-called "Can't miss prospects" flame out. Every coach at UK has had their share that didn't pan out but the most overrated player, IMO, was Brett Bearup, with Dirk Minnifield a close second. However, Skal has to be right up there with them. I will say that both Bearup and Minnifield played hard but Skal was about as lazy as I've ever seen.
I wish a lot of the younger fans would talk to people that’s been a fan as long as you have. They don’t know or understand the history behind our program. Hell I don’t know as much about it as you lol

Name one that will come in and win 35 games in year one, 29 in year two and 38 in year three with an E8, F4 and NATI in those three first years along with three SEC titles. They grow on trees, right? Smfh

You’re a very interesting person on this board. I have a question I want you to answer for me as honestly as you can. If we went another 5 years under Calipari and happened to win 35 games per year and went to 5 final fours but no championships, what would your honest opinion be of Cal’s tenure as a whole? That would mean 9 final fours and one championship. I’m just curious how you would assess that kind of productivity.

I wish a lot of the younger fans would talk to people that’s been a fan as long as you have. They don’t know or understand the history behind our program. Hell I don’t know as much about it as you lol
That's because I'm old, lol. Started watching when I was 8 years old. One of my best friends had an uncle that was a writer for the CJ at the time (mid-60's) and he had a lot of the scoop on what was going on behind the scenes with Kentucky Basketball which was really interesting.

Reactions: Woodrow_Call_1998
I will agree every game matters. The only reason we are having this side discussion is someone mentioned Joe B with 8 SEC championships as if it’s a huge accomplishment. We don’t need to hang tournament championship banners. That gives you bragging rights over 15 other schools. I’m looking for bragging rights over over all of college basketball. That’s what we strive for at Kentucky.
To quote Herm Edwards...You play to win the game. Cal was a monster his first 6 years. No question. He was like a Mafia made man.
Now he's like Mr Rogers.

Name one that will come in and win 35 games in year one, 29 in year two and 38 in year three with an E8, F4 and NATI in those three first years along with three SEC titles. They grow on trees, right? Smfh

You sound like the husband that just allows his wife to blatantly cheat on him because he feels he could never get anyone any better. This is Kentucky basketball, and Cal has been pretty mediocre/bad for 5 years now by UK standards, including some of the most embarrassing losses in program history, unmatched roster turnover, and dudes quitting on the team left and right. At some point you have to rip the bandaid off. While It may not be time yet, Cal’s best days are looking like they are way behind him.

Are scouts rating talent based on college potential or NBA potential?

What good is their rating?

Villanova won in 2016 & 18 and UNC won in 17. Duke won in 15 and KU was the best team by a mile last year.
The blue bloods are still winning titles. But not the way Cal is trying to do it.
The new NBA rules are going to make it even harder on Cal. Not only will he not h
be getting transcendent/generational kids, he won't even be getting the guys he's gotten the last 5 years. I mean, the guy has to stop this and change course, like now, or this program is going to crash hard.

I don't really consider Villanova to be a blue blood.
Duke winning in 15 would is pretty much equal to if we won in 15. I feel like this has changed post 15 tho.
And I'm not sure KU was the best team at all last year. I'm not entirely sure they were even the best team in the Big 12 last season. They were one of the best no doubt tho. 2020 you again had teams like Baylor and Gonzaga with projected 1 seeds.

I just think the direction of college basketball is heading for a massive change. If you don't get generational talent because they are all jumping right to the league, than the talent level gap between the bluebloods and the ones fighting for 3 and 4 star guys is closing.

I doubt we see many repeat champions anymore. I think the sport is about to get more competitive and more balanced IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT