ADVERTISEMENT

Cal’s Instagram post

I think he doesn’t, so we disagree there. He knows the mood around the program and it’s fans right now but it’s typical Cal to tell fans to shove it by going in the completely opposite direction. That’s his ego talking.

I don’t really blame him for shoving it back to the fans to some degree. Confident personalities will always react in that way.

I wouldn't necessarily say "overall". The first five years, indeed. But that ship appears to have sailed since 2015. I mean, we had for the first time a NCAA path bust wide open and Cal still couldn't get past K-State.

I think we got close enough in 17 and 19 for Cal to still think playing this way and succeeding is possible.

Now whether that's true or not remains to be seen I guess.

Reactions: Disappointed Cat
Name the coach that would replace Cal and take us to an E8, F4 and Championship in their first three years? I mean you’ve seen it in your lifetime, right? You can’t do it. It’s never happened in your lifetime. But I get it, you said Cal needed to recruit more guys that look more like you, so I see your angle. Hard to believe you said that, but lucky for you they yanked it quickly.

And what’s he done the eight years after that? 2 final fours? A lot of coaches could do that at UK. We survived after the greatest coach in our history left in Rupp I’m sure we will be fine after Cal leaves. I like Cal and would just like to see him adjust and adapt to the times. Play a more exciting brand of basketball and not 4 out of 5 guys on the floor who can’t shoot

He'll leave soon and we'll be Indiana for a decade. We have some of the dumbest fans imaginable.

The only line of defense for an indefensible coaching atrocity this season.

Surely you can do better, Gandalf.

Work up some magic in your defense of Cal. The gates of Mordor have opened, and you have nothing but a broken staff and a weak Indiana reference to aid you.

I think it is time for Cal to go. We don't deserve a coach like that anymore. Maybe Mitch should get Saul Smith or BCG back. This group of malcontents and sad sacks deserve exactly that.

Reactions: JC43
And what’s he done the eight years after that? 2 final fours? A lot of coaches could do that at UK. We survived after the greatest coach in our history left in Rupp I’m sure we will be fine after Cal leaves. I like Cal and would just like to see him adjust and adapt to the times. Play a more exciting brand of basketball and not 4 out of 5 guys on the floor who can’t shoot

Im all in on that, but the Goobs will probably run him out of town soon.

Our historically great program is taking a backseat to the NBA. It’s not hard to see that no matter what end of the debate your on.
Just saw another ky boy lighting it up at Kansas 14 of there 18 the McNeil kid from union who wanted but never got an offer. Stay the course Cal Askew/Boston/Clarke will lead us to number 9

I beg to differ. I say you have to be a total clown like you to keep kissing his ass like you are. His job is to make UK successful. You think 1-5 is worth 10 mil ? Yeah right.

And you think its smart to make decisions about a coach based on 6 games. Who's the moron

Reactions: JC43
And confident fans will blow it right back. It’s a two way street.

Only problem with that mentality is the coach, especially this coach, holds the power. $25MM of power just in cash but the blowback in the game would be even more money to the University and program. When it’s all said and done it would cost the program $40MM and for what? One really bad start in 11 years? Doesn’t make sense. Typical emotional reaction and lack of emotional maturity with fans. Some fans we can expect because they are under age 12. Others are too old and should know better.

Last edited:
3 pages of whining over this:

You all are a wee bit sensitive.

OP here..... my post was more to show that a large number of ‘replies’ to his post were really strong calling him out. That used to NEVER happen. Finally we’re seeing fans that are tired of his BS. Obviously I’m not a Cal fan but I don’t care about his IG post (I’m used to it) but I can’t believe fans are finally tired of it.

The pulse of the fans in this program is not the same as it is on this and other boards. The average Kentucky fan isn’t calling for Calipari to be fired and replaced. They are irritated that this season isn’t going well but they know Calipari has earned the right to correct it over a couple seasons.

Look....I’m fine with whatever because honestly it’s a small part of my life overall. I’m simply pointing out it will be a struggle much life the Smith to Gillispie to Calipari progression. Teams rarely fire a top coach and get another one to fill the spot. Regardless what some think, Calipari IS a top coach who has won big at Kentucky for the last decade. That’s just a fact.
You mean like UK did when Rupp left and they gave the job to one Joe B Hall.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Be honest though, do you think we'll ever see the types of players that were on the teams that went to those final fours? I'm talking transcendent and generational talent.

I don't.

Honestly.........no.

But I worry because I'm of the mindset that regardless of whatever system Cal chooses, the playing field is getting more and more level and thus it's going to be even harder to win titles in the future.

I mean the two best teams in basketball right now are Gonzaga and Baylor lol. Where are the other bluebloods at?

I really hate to say that when this is all over we might look back on 10 and 15 and be like damn.........those were the shots are multiple titles.

But it is what it is and I'm going to root for this team regardless of what system or coach we got

I’ve said this 50 times on here.....I will never understand the comments about calling yelling and screaming being a negative. I’ve yet to see, meet or be coached by a great coach who doesn’t yell and scream all the time. I suppose this is more evidence of our soft culture. Whisper coach......whisper.
These complainers obviously didn't play any ball. I had a lot of yelling coaches over the years (my dad included) but my college coach was beyond vocal.

Reactions: JC43 and MakinMusic
As much as I love Hall, he didn’t actually set the world on fire. Comparable to Calipari at this point.
What has Cal accomplished that Hall didn't outside of 1 FF? Hall followed the legend of UK. Recruited at a very high level. Maintained UK's success under Rupp and enhanced the program.
List how well coaches at Bama did after Bear Bryant. Tom Osborne at Nebraska. Wooden at UCLA. Knight at IU. Hall carried the weight of following Rupp his whole career.

I respectfully disagree with this. Cal has successfully manipulated people into believing like you. Accept watching bad basketball 3/4 of the season (it’s a process), not playing traditional home and home games versus teams like Indiana and UNCheat like we used to, accept players coming here only for NBA aspirations.....Lets not take the in state kids that are good that wanna come here for KENTUCKY basketball. I’d rather have a 3 star that will play his heart out for this program then a 5 star that’s selfish and don’t give a damn about anything but himself (I’m not posting names, I don’t bash players publicly).

We’re in the worst start of the season since 1926, with turmoil surrounding the team... and instead of worrying about the program, some of you morons are worried about the highest paid coach in the country. He created this problem in the first place. Some of you all don’t care about Kentucky basketball you care about Cal. Pointing blame at fans for what he’s done......think about that.

You may be right about some but not me. I’m not really a “Calipari fan” but I recognize the shit hole we were in before he arrived. That includes the shit hole Smith pulled us down for several years. Talk about mediocrity......I digress.

What I’m hearing is let’s go recruit the one or two marginal 3 stars Kentucky produces annually and then find 10 or 11 other 3 star marginal players around the country, try to coach them up over 4 years with the hope that we might....might get a shot at making it past the sweet 16 every 5-6 years. Honestly, as a fan, I’m not interested in watching a bunch of players that should be playing at WKU or Alabama or Ole Miss develop over 4 years and POSSIBLY give us some excitement in the tournament 1 out of 4 years.

Every coach on the planet knows you go after the best possible talent and athletes you can find to give you the best opportunity to win year in year out, not some feel good story about a Kentucky kid who outshined all others in high school because the others won’t be getting any D1 offers, much less high D1.

• Love
Reactions: awf and JC43
You may be right about some but not me. I’m not really a “Calipari fan” but I recognize the shit hole we were in before he arrived. That includes the shit hole Smith pulled us down for several years. Talk about mediocrity......I digress.

What I’m hearing is let’s go recruit the one or two marginal 3 stars Kentucky produces annually and then find 10 or 11 other 3 star marginal players around the country, try to coach them up over 4 years with the hope that we might....might get a shot at making it past the sweet 16 every 5-6 years. Honestly, as a fan, I’m not interested in watching a bunch of players that should be playing at WKU or Alabama or Ole Miss develop over 4 years and POSSIBLY give us some excitement in the tournament 1 out of 4 years.

Every coach on the planet knows you go after the best possible talent and athletes you can find to give you the best opportunity to win year in year out, not some feel good story about a Kentucky kid who outshined all others in high school because the others won’t be getting any D1 offers, much less high D1.
Talking about Tubby do you realize his last 5 and Cal's last 5 are almost identical?

Reactions: KyFaninNC

I tried to fix that post and in the middle of that I hit post on accident. That all wasn’t directed at you so sorry about that. My phones been acting up this evening and I’m not the best on them either.

You build teams not just on talent but based on what you need and what fits your system. No matter how many stars are by their names. Scouts aren’t always right and we see that every year.

Hall had 3 NCAA final 4s with a title, runners-up and an NIT title when that was more than it is now

8 SEC titles in 13 years (2nd most ever)

As I said, comparable. Are we really excited about SEC titles in today’s game? Not me.

Reactions: dezyDeco

You're acting like it's an either or situation. outside of dook, nobody else is trying to do what Cal is doing.
How is it other schools are winning titles then? Why are they able to win at a high level and not having a new roster every year?
Yes I know, Self, Williams, K, etc are not coming to UK. Who is pining for them? But to act as if UK can only win with Cal and the way he is trying to do it is just plain ridiculous.

Talking about Tubby do you realize his last 5 and Cal's last 5 are almost identical?

The difference is at the start of every Smith season we knew we had no chance. With Calipari the last 5 years, there has always been a buzz preseason, middle season and tournament time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT