ADVERTISEMENT

C’mon Malik, That Man Has A Family

star trek GIF

Greatest screwing I've ever seen in American sports. If not the greatest, it's in the Top 5. If I could flush the state of NC I would.
Hey hey, NC is a great state, good people (most Kentuckian's would love it here), it's just that 30-40% are flawed in their love of Tar Heels (& another 10-15% of Blue Devils). The hate should be focused at the conspiracy by ESPN, by Nike, by NCAA to give those 2 schools advantages every chance they get.

Hey hey, NC is a great state, good people (most Kentuckian's would love it here), it's just that 30-40% are flawed in their love of Tar Heels (& another 10-15% of Blue Devils). The hate should be focused at the conspiracy by ESPN, by Nike, by NCAA to give those 2 schools advantages every chance they get.
Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful. Like Kentucky but with ocean access. But there's a reason a lot of Western Kentuckians can't stand NC, and especially DUKE, that go far beyond basketball.

What's western Kentuckian's beef with the state of NC?

Well....I had a whole post typed out and it didn't post.

Not the whole state of NC per se, but basically, tobacco and one James Buchanan Duke (whom Duke University is name for).

The Nightriders and The Kentucky Black Patch Wars:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Patch_Tobacco_Wars

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Riders#:~:text=Originally known as the Silent,a medical doctor and farmer.

Duke owned and found the American Tobacco Company (his father was a huge tobacco plantation owner.....take that for what you will. Well, it was the largest tobacco company in the world at the time. And a good chunk of their products came from the nutrient rich tobacco fields of WKY. Duke lowered the price of what the farmers could sell their tobacco for (that he would buy it for in other words) to where they could not make a profit. This would basically put local farmers out of business and the Duke company would buy them out (for an unfair price as there was no regulation) and then monopolize the tobacco market. This would cripple WKY as tobacco was and still is a huge cash crop. Well, most farmers got tired of that and organized resistance as Duke, being a huge tobacco baron, would always have preference in courts or government disuptes. If the farmers couldn't sell the tobacco, they would prevent it from getting in Duke's hands. They would raid warehouses and burn them to the ground. Two warehouse here in Hopkinsville were literally wiped off the map. They called themselves the Night Riders. They were terrifying. Technically, they could be classified as terrorists, but they felt they had no other recourse.
Long story short, they finally got enough pressure on Duke to raise his bidding prices to fair levels. But not after a lot of nights of seizing towns (including Hopkinsville, Princeton, Cadiz, etc) and fires, burning fields, etc. There are still lots of mixed feelings aobut it nearly 120 years later. But, a lot of people sided with the Night Riders as the oppressive tactics by Duke went unchecked by governments and would've have CRIPPLED Western Kentucky and NW TN.

An example of the masks they used:
KYHOPnightriders_ks22.jpg

Bill Cunnigham, the renowed Kentucky historian, wrote an EXCELLENT book on it called, "On Bended Knees". It ought to be required reading in every Kentucky classroom.

Personally, I'm split on the Night Riders. On the one hand they were absolutely terrorists. But, on the other, they had no other options. And I'm a firm believer in when normal redresses of law and government fail, I believe in the words of Jefferson.

And yes, it does add to my disdain of Duke and all it stands for a little bit more.

Last edited:
What? Lol

In the history of posterizing dunks.. the player always celebrates and the poor hapless soul who got dunked on shakes it off as best he can.

Monk did nothing wrong here. Dunn was the one who put hands on him.
You call it celebrating. I call it screaming in Dunn's face....
However you choose to label, his actions were that of a punk bitch. Someone makes a good play on you then screams in your face. Will you just hang your head and just take the ball out of bounds? Seems too me that would make you look like a bitch even more. Anyone screams in my face better expect a not so very pleasant reaction.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
However you choose to label, his actions were that of a punk bitch. Someone makes a good play on you then screams in your face. Will you just hang your head and just take the ball out of bounds? Seems too me that would make you look like a bitch even more. Anyone screams in my face better expect a not so very pleasant reaction.
Lol you wouldn’t last long in sports then. That’s been the reaction of every great dunk ever really.

Well....I had a whole post typed out and it didn't post.

Not the whole state of NC per se, but basically, tobacco and one James Buchanan Duke (whom Duke University is name for).

The Nightriders and The Kentucky Black Patch Wars:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Patch_Tobacco_Wars

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Riders#:~:text=Originally known as the Silent,a medical doctor and farmer.

Duke owned and found the American Tobacco Company (his father was a huge tobacco plantation owner.....take that for what you will. Well, it was the largest tobacco company in the world at the time. And a good chunk of their products came from the nutrient rich tobacco fields of WKY. Duke lowered the price of what the farmers could sell their tobacco for (that he would buy it for in other words) to where they could not make a profit. This would basically put local farmers out of business and the Duke company would buy them out (for an unfair price as there was no regulation) and then monopolize the tobacco market. This would cripple WKY as tobacco was and still is a huge cash crop. Well, most farmers got tired of that and organized resistance as Duke, being a huge tobacco baron, would always have preference in courts or government disuptes. If the farmers couldn't sell the tobacco, they would prevent it from getting in Duke's hands. They would raid warehouses and burn them to the ground. Two warehouse here in Hopkinsville were literally wiped off the map. They called themselves the Night Riders. They were terrifying. Technically, they could be classified as terrorists, but they felt they had no other recourse.
Long story short, they finally got enough pressure on Duke to raise his bidding prices to fair levels. But not after a lot of nights of seizing towns (including Hopkinsville, Princeton, Cadiz, etc) and fires, burning fields, etc. There are still lots of mixed feelings aobut it nearly 120 years later. But, a lot of people sided with the Night Riders as the oppressive tactics by Duke went unchecked by governments and would've have CRIPPLED Western Kentucky and NW TN.

An example of the masks they used:
KYHOPnightriders_ks22.jpg

Bill Cunnigham, the renowed Kentucky historian, wrote an EXCELLENT book on it called, "On Bended Knees". It ought to be required reading in every Kentucky classroom.

Personally, I'm split on the Night Riders. On the one hand they were absolutely terrorists. But, on the other, they had no other options. And I'm a firm believer in when normal redresses of law and government fail, I believe in the words of Jefferson.

And yes, it does add to my disdain of Duke and all it stands for a little bit more.
Pretty interesting. I grew up north of the Ohio, but my family history is in eastern KY (Morgan Co. West Liberty, Wrigley, Sandy Hook), so I had no clue about that. Thank you for taking the time to share that!

There's no way of knowing that Monk meant to yell in Dunn's face as he did it a nanosecond after he came off a dunk. Which, isn't a foul anyways.

But there's a 100% chance Dunn meant to put hands on Monk. Which could be a foul if the refs wanted it to be.

Weird hill to die on lol. Every player who comes off a dunk like this goes crazy.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
season 13 GIF

hell most of kentuckys ancestors came from NC.

Pretty interesting. I grew up north of the Ohio, but my family history is in eastern KY (Morgan Co. West Liberty, Wrigley, Sandy Hook), so I had no clue about that. Thank you for taking the time to share that!
Np;yw. It was a very interesting portion of the history of WKY and like I said ironically caused by a man who's university we're not to fond of. A lot of folks in Western Kentucky consider being a UK fan and honor/privelige and carry it with pride down here. We hate IU, we hate UT, most of us hate UofL and almost everyone out this was considers it a birthright to hate on Duke too.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
I prefer to call my area of KY southwestern KY. I'm in barren btw.
Yeah, that's Central KY to us. lol. But the folks out in the Jackson Purchase think. Hopkinsville is that too so.

I love discussing Kentucky history and geography. You guys are the ONLY Barren County in the United States. Named for the "barren" meadowland that covers a third of the county.

There is a BarrOn Count in Wisconsin, but it's spelt differently. So it doesn't count.

Meanwhile, there's three Christian Counties. One here, one in Missouri and one in Illinois.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Yeah, that's Central KY to us. lol. But the folks out in the Jackson Purchase think. Hopkinsville is that too so.

I love discussing Kentucky history and geography. You guys are the ONLY Barren County in the United States. Named for the "barren" meadowland that covers a third of the county.

There is a BarrOn Count in Wisconsin, but it's spelt differently. So it doesn't count.

Meanwhile, there's three Christian Counties. One here, one in Missouri and one in Illinois.
Barren County is a great county. I recently went and visited a great granduncle. He told me of our civil war ancestors. Barren County was a pretty strong pro confederate county. (1200 confederate soldiers to 548 union). Anyway, my 4th great grandfather on my great-grandmothers side was in the 6thKY Infantry CSA. He was shot through the body at the battle of baton rouge LA in 1862. He laid on the field for a day until he was found and spent 3 months healing. Afterwards he went and rejoined the fight. He fought until may 1865 where he was forced to take the oath by Sherman's army. He started the ride home back to Barren County shortly after. When he got to Nashville he was stopped by union forces (he was still wearing his confederate coat) They stole his horse and he was forced to walk the rest of the way home. Now Nashville to barren county is about a 45 minute drive if youre going 80+MPH. So you can imagine how long that took him. After he died in 1923 his wife received a check for that horse from the US government.

My grandfather also told me of a story once when he was a boy. He would talk to his neighbor with his mother who was an old man. One day my grandfather was over at his house with his mom and was snooping around in the old guys closet and he sees a gray coat. And my grandfather asks him ''what's this war coat for? Do you do reenactments in it"? To which the old guy responds ''I was in that war''.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT