ADVERTISEMENT

Cal on Edwards

BigKari

Senior
Apr 15, 2014
“But what happened was [guarding] number 3, he went under the screen 3 different times and the kid got 3 threes. Well then, you can’t be in the game. I’m not mad at ya, I love ya. Wanna stay with me tonight at my house? C’mon, I’ll make you a pizza.”

😂😂😂 I was burying Cal tonight, but dude knows he has a squad. Knows if he can bring Edwards along, shit is gonna get real scary for everyone else.

“But what happened was [guarding] number 3, he went under the screen 3 different times and the kid got 3 threes. Well then, you can’t be in the game. I’m not mad at ya, I love ya. Wanna stay with me tonight at my house? C’mon, I’ll make you a pizza.”

😂😂😂 I was burying Cal tonight, but dude knows he has a squad. Knows if he can bring Edwards along, shit is gonna get real scary for everyone else.
We will need to platoon once Z is cleared and Cal will.

If Edwards can get close to what he’s capable of producing then sky is the limit for this team. Honestly would like for Cal to try bringing him off the bench just for a change of pace.

Edwards is going to be a vital part of this team’s success. He’s getting burned some on defense right now but he’s already a better defender than Reeves or Mitchell.

Cal just has to live with Mitchell and Reeves. They are 5th year guys. They are what they are.

He knows Edwards will get better and better.

He actually played better on the offensive end in the 2nd half and he rebounded well. But his defense is extremely lacking. He seems to be bad moving laterally and hates contact on either end. He just needs to get stronger and stop short arming shots. He plays too timidly at times.

That it will for sure.

Edwards is going to be fine. People freaking out about him are the typical hand wringing side of BBN that aren’t happy unless something is wrong. We just beat UNcheat, enjoy!
I agree, he did pick it up second half and he has had some good games to be fair. He just hasn’t put 2 halves together yet, needs to improve his shot, play tougher especially around the rim, rebound a little more. I think he needs strength more than anything. Then find out his best spots to score at this level. He definitely should return for year 2. He could have a breakout next year if he don’t quite get it figured out.

I hear ya, but Boston never did come around. We all kept saying the same about him a couple years ago. I hope you're right.
Well we needed Boston way more to be elite than Edwards, he was a huge piece that team counted on. After Clarke(RIP) highly disappointed too, and Askew absolutely sucked. We had too many pieces who were overrated and underachieved.

Last edited:
Edwards is going to be fine. People freaking out about him are the typical hand wringing side of BBN that aren’t happy unless something is wrong. We just beat UNcheat, enjoy!
I also think Edwards is fine. But, then again, I never expected him to be one of the better SFs in college this season (or even one of the top SFs in the SEC). I thought if he could handle the PF position defensively and rebounding wise that his offense could be pretty good at the 4 spot, and he could be a good role player this season. And Edwards has done the job on the boards, but the offense is still quite a way off.

I think anybody still believing the season hinges on Edwards becoming a star is mistaken on both counts. He’s not a missing piece. The team will be fine regardless of how much he develops this season. Thiero is probably better and actually has as much or more upside. And regardless, Edwards is, and will be all season, just a role player for this year’s team. Edwards could become a college star by his junior year (maybe a little earlier) – a’ la the seeming yearly Kansas SF plan. But I still think an NBA role player is his destiny regardless of when he goes – and there’s nothing wrong with that.

He needs to get in better shape. It’s clear he is a hooper, but his fitness is not good.

Well we needed Boston way more to be elite than Edwards, he was a huge piece that team counted on. After Clarke(RIP) highly disappointed too, and Askew absolutely sucked. We had too many pieces who were overrated and underachieved.
And I think you'll see this reflected in comparing their playing time as the season progresses if Edwards doesn't turn the corner. It's already starting, I think he only got 14 minutes last game and 13 tonight. With Boston there wasn't really any other option, you had to play him and hope he reached his potential. With this team there are so many great players if Edwards stays where he is he won't keep getting major minutes.

When you guard an outside threat, you absolutely cannot go under a screen…you have to get in front of it…Edwards will learn it…switching out has to get better also

Reactions: jrpross
Ryan scored 20 points tonight and pretty sure all of it came during the 12 minutes Edwards was in the game guarding him. Couple of nice plays in the 2nd half on the offensive end but he really has to pick up his game overall if he wants to continue getting even 15 minutes a game. Adou belonged on the floor more tonight than the 17 he got.

And I think you'll see this reflected in comparing their playing time as the season progresses if Edwards doesn't turn the corner. It's already starting, I think he only got 14 minutes last game and 13 tonight. With Boston there wasn't really any other option, you had to play him and hope he reached his potential. With this team there are so many great players if Edwards stays where he is he won't keep getting major minutes.
That is true. Edwards minutes have been getting reduced since Bradshaw returned. Thiero is also playing at a higher level. I do believe between Justin and Adou we have enough production to be good enough at that spot. Tonight combined they went for 15/8/3 in about 28 minutes of PT.

I hear ya, but Boston never did come around. We all kept saying the same about him a couple years ago. I hope you're right.
Difference is Boston was not a “team player”, and all he wanted to do was shoot 3’s. I thought that from the one HS game I saw him play on tv, and that’s why I was saying before his first UK game ya’ll would be disappointed and he would bust.

Another difference is that team was not very talented, especially when Clarke got hurt, so for them to not be bad, Cal NEEDED Boston to be good. He sees this team can be really good without Edwards, but maybe great with Edwards playing good.

Difference is Boston was not a “team player”, and all he wanted to do was shoot 3’s. I thought that from the one HS game I saw him play on tv, and that’s why I was saying before his first UK game ya’ll would be disappointed and he would bust.

Another difference is that team was not very talented, especially when Clarke got hurt, so for them to not be bad, Cal NEEDED Boston to be good. He sees this team can be really good without Edwards, but maybe great with Edwards playing good.
Clarke was not good either. He was a 6-6 SG that couldn't shoot.

Until he is fine we don't want him getting 30 plus minutes. Cal has fixed this recently. He may be potentially great but he's not there yet.

Thiero on the other hand has been very good.

that's a different Cal than during his Diallo years

maybe the difference is he is obligated to several players on this years team and not just 2 or 3

If you asked our fan base at the beginning of the season if they'd be happy with beating Miami and UNC with Edwards averaging 10 points/game while be our 7th leading scorer, I think there's not one of us who wouldn't be excited about that scenario.

We have plenty of good players this year. Edwards doesn't have to be the man early on, but he'll be a junkyard dog by March.

When you guard an outside threat, you absolutely cannot go under a screen…you have to get in front of it…Edwards will learn it…switching out has to get better also
How many practices and games does it take to learn this??? I am not sure he ever will learn not to go under the screen- I am not sure he will get much better this yr, he maybe what he is now, possibly bring him off the bench

I was hoping for a left handed MKG, he ain’t that.

He can still be a very, very good player. He already is. We just need to recalibrate some expectations for him

How many practices and games does it take to learn this??? I am not sure he ever will learn not to go under the screen- I am not sure he will get much better this yr, he maybe what he is now, possibly bring him off the bench
It's just easier.

Reactions: NociHTTP
He actually played better on the offensive end in the 2nd half and he rebounded well. But his defense is extremely lacking. He seems to be bad moving laterally and hates contact on either end. He just needs to get stronger and stop short arming shots. He plays too timidly at times.
What he needs to do is start staying in front of his man. He'll get stronger when he bolts for the NBA in June.

I'd have to go back and watch, but Im pretty sure the dunk thing is more about his court awareness than a lack of athletic ability. Very hard with a defender around you and you standing directly under the basket to complete a dunk because you have 2 obstacles in your way instead of 1. The other thing is you don't need to have a windup when you dunk. Go up and use 2 hands. It's a lot harder to block a 2-handed dunk than when you are doing it with one hand. Also easier to lose control of the ball especially when they are using that trash Wilson evo ball.

Reactions: gharding07
Clarke was not good either. He was a 6-6 SG that couldn't shoot.
I think Cal was (correctly) going to have him play PG, 1) because of his shooting and good passing and court awareness and penetration, and 2) because Askew was NOT the answer. He did play PG a good bit his last game or two. I think he would have been a good PG for us. But even with him at PG, that team still was at best a .550-.600 win team.

Reactions: fatguy87
Cal willing to limit mins for Edwards and play 3 guards is the most optimism-producing thing for me this season.
This.

I was literally going to post how proud I am of Cal for saying that.

Early in the season, I said if any other player was playing like Edwards that Cal would give him the “I can’t play you” treatment.

Him realizing he has better players to put out there and not forcing Edwards on the floor to help his draft status is a massive breath of fresh air.

This.

I was literally going to post how proud I am of Cal for saying that.

Early in the season, I said if any other player was playing like Edwards that Cal would give him the “I can’t play you” treatment.

Him realizing he has better players to put out there and not forcing Edwards on the floor to help his draft status is a massive breath of fresh air.
Actually makes me wonder if the kid himself ISN’T delusional and/or saddled with a delusional camp. I think the “come stay at my house” line, while definitely a joke, hints at something real. Wouldn’t shock me at all if Edwards has had more than one “weight of the world” moments in the early going that Cal has talked him through, and no doubt had him come stay a time or two to get away from feeling like all eyes are on him. I’ve been extremely frustrated with Edwards at times, he still isn’t sharing in the chemistry the rest of the team enjoys. But I think the important thing is, he wants to share in it. If the want to is there, the support is there from the staff because they see he wants it, all it’s going to take is getting in the gym and getting shit right.

I think JE is on the cusp of a breakout game, not on individual performance, but one where he gives the ball up and sees that it gets back to him for easy scores and he puts up an efficient 20 points that also gets him juiced on defense, leading to transition buckets for teammates. Comes in post game and everyone pours water cups on him and everyone just goes “See!!?? SEE!!??” Welcome to the team Justin. Once he flips that switch and sees that it’s about doing the hard stuff on the front end, he’ll take off like a rocket. He’s making everything hard on himself right now because he’s only focused on the back end result and those results haven’t been consistent for the first time in his life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT