ADVERTISEMENT

Cal on Edwards

Actually makes me wonder if the kid himself ISN’T delusional and/or saddled with a delusional camp. I think the “come stay at my house” line, while definitely a joke, hints at something real. Wouldn’t shock me at all if Edwards has had more than one “weight of the world” moments in the early going that Cal has talked him through, and no doubt had him come stay a time or two to get away from feeling like all eyes are on him. I’ve been extremely frustrated with Edwards at times, he still isn’t sharing in the chemistry the rest of the team enjoys. But I think the important thing is, he wants to share in it. If the want to is there, the support is there from the staff because they see he wants it, all it’s going to take is getting in the gym and getting shit right.

I think JE is on the cusp of a breakout game, not on individual performance, but one where he gives the ball up and sees that it gets back to him for easy scores and he puts up an efficient 20 points that also gets him juiced on defense, leading to transition buckets for teammates. Comes in post game and everyone pours water cups on him and everyone just goes “See!!?? SEE!!??” Welcome to the team Justin. Once he flips that switch and sees that it’s about doing the hard stuff on the front end, he’ll take off like a rocket. He’s making everything hard on himself right now because he’s only focused on the back end result and those results haven’t been consistent for the first time in his life.
Hoping your right. One thing I did notice in Saturday's game...take a look at around the 55 second mark of the highlights. Edwards is out on the fast break. He decides to try and take it himself toward the hoop against 2 UNC defenders, immediately has it stripped out of bounds.

What I love is immediately after the play he knew he had Reeves wide open on the wing for a 3 and realized he screwed up. Went directly to Reeves and told him my fault and gave him a hug. Now we just need Edwards to actually make the right play going forward!!

Anyone getting a Keon Brooks vibe with JE?

Hope I’m wrong.

Like to think he would be willing for a year 2 at UK if he needs it. But that is doubtful nowadays.

Reactions: tomrain and kyrx
Hoping your right. One thing I did notice in Saturday's game...take a look at around the 55 second mark of the highlights. Edwards is out on the fast break. He decides to try and take it himself toward the hoop against 2 UNC defenders, immediately has it stripped out of bounds.

What I love is immediately after the play he knew he had Reeves wide open on the wing for a 3 and realized he screwed up. Went directly to Reeves and told him my fault and gave him a hug. Now we just need Edwards to actually make the right play going forward!!

Was too busy screaming at him to notice during the game, but was really happy to see it when I was watching the extended highlights yesterday. Exactly what I’m talking about, he wants to do right which is why I think we’re gonna see it all start clicking for him.

Hope I’m wrong.

Like to think he would be willing for a year 2 at UK if he needs it. But that is doubtful nowadays.
Nope, I don’t see it. This kid is gonna get it. Everyone sees that if he gets it together we’ll be damn near unstoppable in March. Also, he’s 20 already so it has to be now. This year is his only chance to go Top 10.

Edwards appears to be a team guy, but in my eyes, he's not very athletic and doesn't shoot well from the outside. He comes across to me as a poor mans Tayshaun Prince but without the post up game, 3 pt shooting or good defense.

Last edited:
All I know is that 10 games in, Edwards has already set some type of record for being rejected by the rim on dunk attempts...the dude seems to have one of those each game. Absolutely insane.
This. Guy either has no hops or is out of shape.

I think all of us were expecting 20/10 a game and a top 3 draft pick next year, but that is looking like it's not going to happen. Those type of players do not get blocked by the rim 3 times in 10 games.

Perhaps 10/6 is what we should expect, and be happy with. I don't think he is hurting the team at all, but he is not going to lead us to number 9.

Will probably be a lot better next year, but unfortunately he will be in the NBA.

Reactions: westerncat
If Edwards can get close to what he’s capable of producing then sky is the limit for this team. Honestly would like for Cal to try bringing him off the bench just for a change of pace.
I agree 100% I’d love to see the starters be DJ/Reed/Reeves/Adou/Mitchell sometimes. Then I’d like to see a lineup of Dilly/DJ/Shep/Edwards/Bradshaw to change it up.

Reactions: travisbickle

Some Freshman it takes a while realizing they may not be able to dominate the game anymore, and the need to make the correct play.

Reactions: westerncat
Edwards is going to be fine. People freaking out about him are the typical hand wringing side of BBN that aren’t happy unless something is wrong. We just beat UNcheat, enjoy!
Dude was a projected lottery pick. Even tabbed by some as the #1 pick in the draft. He has been rejected by the rim at least four times on dunk attempts. He is shooting 25% from deep on 28 attempts. He’s soft and cannot defend.

What is your definition of “fine” chief?

When he’s on the floor, the other team’s coach is glad it’s not Thiero or Shepherd or someone else who would be an actual problem for their team.

Saw that during the game real time. Liked that.

Edwards appears to be a team guy, but in my eyes, he's not very athletic and doesn't shoot well from the outside. He comes across to me as a poor mans Tayshaun Prince but without the post up game, 3 pt shooting or good defense.
Many over estimate Prince 3pt shooting, maybe because of the 1 UNC game. I think he made <30% as a FR, and his high was around 36%.

Hope I’m wrong.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Settling for the pull-up J too much.
I hope he doesn't underachieve like Poythress.

And I really hope he doesn't disappear and stay in the coach's doghouse like Rhodes.

He needs to watch film on Terrence Jones and use that as his goal.

I just hope he doesn't go the Boston/Livingston route.
Right now I can't say he does anything better than PJ and PJ would not have been a first rounder as a OAD.
Same for Quick.
BJ is averaging 3 ppg right now, probably his last season for the Clippers.
Who knows about interest of other teams in the league.
Livingston is a long shot to ever play meaningful minutes in the NBA.
With JE's mom being a former professional basketball player, I hope they make a smart decision on when he should enter.

Hmm .... a freshman struggling on defense and the physicality at the rim? Years ago it wouldn't be shocking, now he's practically talked about like a bust.

10 games is a large enough sampling to tell the young man what he needs to do. The next 10, especially as the team gets back to full strength, is his window to improve. Then Cal has to assign minutes based on what players can do for us right now.

Edward's draft stock isn't set yet. With the right attitude and some changes, he can be very good. I think his challenges are that his size is a dime a dozen in the NBA. So to even make a roster at that SF/SG size a player either has to be REALLY excellent across the board, or a unicorn at something. 20+ years ago Edwards would have had at least 2 or 3 years to figure it all out. Now, one season or he didn't live up to his potential. Hardly fair.

Reactions: G-PIP and storm1507
Edwards is going to be fine. People freaking out about him are the typical hand wringing side of BBN that aren’t happy unless something is wrong. We just beat UNcheat, enjoy!
I agree with this... However, I can't help but wonder if he hadn't came to UK and most of the minutes fell on Thiero, how good would that kid be right now. Thiero has been solid all year and makes big play after big play. He looks like he's on the verge of breaking through and becoming a dominant player.
I'm in no way putting Edwards down, because I too believe he will be a big part of this team down the stretch

I would love for this to happen. But right now I don’t see one thing he’s good at . What is it supposed to be?
It’s funny, even when he shot up the ratings nothing I ever read could give a straight answer at what he was good at. It was all very vague like “he won’t be a guy you depend on for 20 points but all the tools are there to be a star” or whatever. It actually kinda tempered my expectations quite a while ago.

If he were at Duke, Kansas, UNC etc. we’d be mocking their fan base and laughing at the missed dunks and plummeting draft stock. But since he’s a Cat, you have homers in this thread and elsewhere saying he’s a stud. RR is a wild place.

Actually makes me wonder if the kid himself ISN’T delusional and/or saddled with a delusional camp. I think the “come stay at my house” line, while definitely a joke, hints at something real. Wouldn’t shock me at all if Edwards has had more than one “weight of the world” moments in the early going that Cal has talked him through, and no doubt had him come stay a time or two to get away from feeling like all eyes are on him. I’ve been extremely frustrated with Edwards at times, he still isn’t sharing in the chemistry the rest of the team enjoys. But I think the important thing is, he wants to share in it. If the want to is there, the support is there from the staff because they see he wants it, all it’s going to take is getting in the gym and getting shit right.

I think JE is on the cusp of a breakout game, not on individual performance, but one where he gives the ball up and sees that it gets back to him for easy scores and he puts up an efficient 20 points that also gets him juiced on defense, leading to transition buckets for teammates. Comes in post game and everyone pours water cups on him and everyone just goes “See!!?? SEE!!??” Welcome to the team Justin. Once he flips that switch and sees that it’s about doing the hard stuff on the front end, he’ll take off like a rocket. He’s making everything hard on himself right now because he’s only focused on the back end result and those results haven’t been consistent for the first time in his life.
I suspect Edwards has some sort of love for Playstation or some other vice that's keeping him out of the gym. He still looks pretty soft. He needs to shadow Thiero for about six weeks.

If he were at Duke, Kansas, UNC etc. we’d be mocking their fan base and laughing at the missed dunks and plummeting draft stock. But since he’s a Cat, you have homers in this thread and elsewhere saying he’s a stud. RR is a wild place.
Dariq Whitehead is a good comp. 2022 #1 recruit by Rivals. Goes to Duke, mediocre production and then to the draft. If you peruse the database you will see a lot of SFs that were rated high that did very little in college. Only the ones that are impactful are the better shooters like Dick and Miller last year.

People can do both and should do both. One can be extremely happy about the win over UNC and yet call out the fact that BJ Boston, strike that, Edwards isn't playing well in any element of the game. I think he is making the mistake of thinking that he has to put up lofty numbers to get the attention of the NBA. If he only realizes, it isn't necessary. He has been on the NBA's radar for years. He just needs to go out and play good smart basketball and the metrics he seeks will follow. Even if he never achieves the numbers he desires at UK, the NBA is very used to drafting UK players who put up better numbers in the NBA than at UK.

One of Edwards' biggest issues right now is that he isn't playing team ball. He seldom passes any ball that touches his hand.

Dariq Whitehead is a good comp. 2022 #1 recruit by Rivals. Goes to Duke, mediocre production and then to the draft. If you peruse the database you will see a lot of SFs that were rated high that did very little in college. Only the ones that are impactful are the better shooters like Dick and Miller last year.
Dariq is in the G league also.

Reactions: qwesley and tomrain
Im still holding out hope for the kid, but like an earlier poster had posted; when he committed to us, I went back and was watching footage on him in high school and wasnt overly impressed. Not what a #1 pick in the NBA draft should look like. He looked like and average shooter and the athleticism didnt jump out at you. I remember in Canada he really struggled the first game, but then turned it on and looked the part, so we will see.....

Reactions: RunninRichie
Does anybody have any of those before and after pics you sometimes see from players? Would love to see Edwards change since he got to UK, if there is one.

I agree with an earlier poster who thinks he loves the Playstation or some other vice that is keeping him from working out/working on his game.

The kid has been solo blocked by the rim three times in ten games. That is something that happens to a team once or twice every 4-5 years. 3 times in 10 games?

Bro needs to get stronger.

i agree with the poster that believes that Edwards needs to come back for another year but we know that will most likely not happen. Just don't see him going in the top 10 draft right now.

Does anybody have any of those before and after pics you sometimes see from players? Would love to see Edwards change since he got to UK, if there is one.

I agree with an earlier poster who thinks he loves the Playstation or some other vice that is keeping him from working out/working on his game.

The kid has been solo blocked by the rim three times in ten games. That is something that happens to a team once or twice every 4-5 years. 3 times in 10 games?

Bro needs to get stronger.
He might need glasses. He jumps more than well enough to dunk; I think he might have issues with seeing things closeup. I guess maybe he is near-sighted. I don't know, but what is displayed on the floor simply makes no sense.

He might need glasses. He jumps more than well enough to dunk; I think he might have issues with seeing things closeup. I guess maybe he is near-sighted. I don't know, but what is displayed on the floor simply makes no sense.
I still go back to fitness. He looks doughy compared to the rest of the team. When you aren’t in peak condition the first place it shows up on the basketball court is your legs. You can still get up with a runway, but the explosiveness vertically is the first to suffer. He’s clearly talented and has skill, but the game is moving to fast for him right now. And unfortunately he does not have elite athleticism atm to make up for mental errors.

Looks to me like he’s got quite a few good examples on the team he can learn from though.

Every time he shoots a 3 I yell out short before the ball leaves his hands
I don’t think Edwards has a good feel for his own 3pt. shot. I feel like neither Edwards nor anybody in the building has any idea whether his 3s are good when they leave his hand. It just seems like he shoots a high arching shot toward the basket and hopes (along with all of us) that it falls in. On the other hand, by comparison, I think he’s comfortable and pretty dependable with his pull-up 12 footer.

Regardless, UK has a multitude of better 3pt. shooters and I think he can actually help the offense by simply passing up that shot early in the shot clock. He can work on his 3pointer outside of games and gradually introduce it into games as he learns to become more consistent with it. The offense is fine with Edwards putting up 10 & 6, if the 10 is gotten efficiently.

Reactions: RunninRichie
“But what happened was [guarding] number 3, he went under the screen 3 different times and the kid got 3 threes. Well then, you can’t be in the game. I’m not mad at ya, I love ya. Wanna stay with me tonight at my house? C’mon, I’ll make you a pizza.”

😂😂😂 I was burying Cal tonight, but dude knows he has a squad. Knows if he can bring Edwards along, shit is gonna get real scary for everyone else.
Imo Edwards is an upgrade from CL. Dude might make mistakes but he also makes elite play He might lead the team on offense put backs.Seem like every game it comes out of nowhere to tip one in.

Reactions: BigKari
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT