ADVERTISEMENT

Brock

Jan 11, 2016
What’s everyone short take on him?

I know it was just one game and is was Southern Miss. I’m not saying he will be this good. After watching how he moves and throw so effortlessly with velocity. The first thought that popped in my head was Aaron Rodgers.

We've got ourselves a QB. He honestly surpassed my expectations for his first game as a starter. The kid has skill, toughness and intelligence. Even though he doesn't have as much game experience, I think he compares favorably to Levis during his first season here. Their games aren't exactly the same, though they have some similarities. But they both have the ability to make good things happen and have big impacts on the game. Brock will just keep getting better and better with experience and before his time at UK is done, he'll be elite. Hard to ask for much more than that. The dude has high end potential just like his lofty rankings out of high school suggested.

Folks in the game thread said be sucked right and left. I mean, what do these games do to some of you people in real time?

For me, I liked what I saw out of a dude making his first start. Secondly, I didn’t realize how bad Leary sucked. He should have never quit acting to try his hand at football. Thirdly, there’s no way we run this many jet sweeps ever again in a single game. USC gonna be wasting a lot of time working on defending that stuff.

In his first start, BV appeared to be a well-rounded QB with sufficient arm-strength, accuracy, and mobility to lead a competitive team. He should have slid more in the first quarter or so, but by the end of the night he began to opt away from the open field and complete the pass instead. He will learn to look off defenders. He has the skillset to emerge as UK’s most balanced QB since, I dunno, maybe Woodson?

Folks in the game thread said be sucked right and left. I mean, what do these games do to some of you people in real time?

For me, I liked what I saw out of a dude making his first start. Secondly, I didn’t realize how bad Leary sucked. He should have never quit acting to try his hand at football. Thirdly, there’s no way we run this many jet sweeps ever again in a single game. USC gonna be wasting a lot of time working on defending that stuff.
The first INT had a lot of people get Leary flashbacks. But he settled down after that and his only other bad throw was the near pick 6. But I place some blame on BB for dropping the gimme pass right before that. That should’ve been 1st and 10. Stuff happens though.

He made some very accurate and tough throws tonight. He’s an SEC QB. We’re in good hands.

Last edited:
Couple plays where it looked like he could make pretty much every throw. He also had an easy pick 6 dropped, took too many hits and seemed slow making the audible after the initial play call. Like his scramble ability. Think he can be good but a better team probably takes advantage of some of his mistakes

Reactions: CrimsonCats
12/18 169 3/1 QBR 82.6

Dude has a cannon, haven’t seen anyone in a long time throw a dart like that while running in the 2nd qtr. Hated to see the game end, no doubt in my mind he was going for 300 yards and another TD. Had a couple of bad throws which can be expected in his first game and first live action with our receivers. Seemed like he settled in and quit locking in on the receivers which was a concern at first. Definitely a gamer who can make plays with his arm and feet. Totally expect a big year out of him.

Levi’s did. Brock’s a big boy. He can handle some hits. Will be lots of “please get up” “please get up plays” this year most likely though.

Levis literally didn’t he got hurt against ole miss and was never the same in 2022 lol. We lost to South Carolina cause he was not playing and Vanderbilt because he was so hurt he couldn’t do anything even though he tried

Overall, I thought he was solid for his first start, but I’m not sure I was quite as blown away by him as some of you seem to have been.

On the plus side, he showed above average athleticism which not only allowed us to use him on some designed runs, but allowed him to extend some plays in which he showed good instincts in finding receivers downfield while scrambling. He also did throw some really nice balls. The arm talent appears to be there, and very few passes were off target tonight.

What I didn’t like as much was that he seemed to be a little slow processing at times. He had a pass or two that I thought he released a beat late, most notably the deep ball to Brown that ended up drawing a flag. He also had some issues locking on to his first read, which cost him one interception and should have a second time, and he seemed maybe a little too eager at times to scramble instead of go through his progressions if the first read wasn’t there. That’s the kind of thing that should hopefully improve with experience, but makes me a little nervous since it’ll be both harder and more important against the faster defenses he’ll see in conference play.

Brock looked better than I hoped in game 1. He stared down two throws but that was it. He only threw 30 passes vs live comp, so keep that in mind.

I saw a guy that was a great athlete that could make every throw and quickly read the defense. Plus i saw some very good ball handling.

The only knock at all is his arm strength. Its only very good which will impact his draft day results but for college its plenty good enough to make all the throws.

Another key is we have an oc that doesn't make him something he isnt. Coen did Leary no favors last year by throwing away all his strengths and trying to showcase his nfl ability. Bush is trying to win college games which is nice.

Levi’s did. Brock’s a big boy. He can handle some hits. Will be lots of “please get up” “please get up plays” this year most likely though.

He did get hurt but beyond that he was also a tank. Levis was under listed on the program because dude was every bit the size of the tight ends. At thr catwalk he was bigger than kattus and pretty much the same size as bates despite being listed at 220 or whatever. Couldn't tell it from the stands or tv but he didn't look human for a QB. Physically levis was the most talented QB we ever had and it wasn't even close.

Now maybe brock is that big too. Dont know because they cancelled the catwalk. Even so he needs to conserve himself some. Its great to see the QB run back but please slide unless its a crucial situation. Hes too good to get hurt just trying to deliver a blow.

I was pleased with his performance last night for his 1st start. Has a good arm and he will get better on his reads as the season continues. Has some good WR's to work with but need to cut down on running with the ball. We will see how he does against a good defensive team this coming week.

I thought he settled in and played better as the game went on.
I agree with this. I was impressed with his in-game improvement and felt he had an excellent debut. It will be interesting to see how he performs against better competition and in more crucial down-distance-score-time situations. Overall, he looked very promising and seems to have the potential to be very good. I just hope he can be consistent and reliable. We'll see ...

Last edited:
Has good pocket presence and awareness. Can throw on the run. That should help in the SEC. I thought some of his throws were bad but overall a good game for a guy that hasn’t really seen the field

Reactions: RunninRichie
Brock made plays. He looked kind of similar to Will LeaveUs in the way that he's physically.
He's got to do a better job of tricking the defensive backs with his eyes. Brock starts doing that... he'll be okay.

Teams are going to like try to abuse his eyeballs. He needs to be aware that that's coming because of this game he just had. If he just looks off the defensive backs he'll have some open plays cuz they will bite on his first look.

I personally would run plays where you have two receivers right next to each other running a route to about 10 yd and then they split left and right and he looks right throws left or vice versa. Planned play.
They won't be able to tell which way he's going to throw it. Use bunch plays keeping the receivers close to each other.

I thought his pluses were his vision, pocket presence and accuracy. He navigated the pocket at times to buy time and was able to throw accurately while on the move which is uncommon. He also normally didn't lock on to one receiver, but rather scanned the field and went through progressions something young QBs don't often do. He did make a couple of mistakes one resulted in a pick. No QB plays a perfect game and the pick didn't not result in any points. He was 12/18 67% completion for 169 yards which is a huge half.

He played above my expectation for a guy who hasn’t played meaningful minutes and reps vs 1s since high school.

would have looked even more impressive with 0.5 more seconds of protection on two downfield balls that he took hits on and barely missed open guys high. If he had space to step into the throw or to complete the arm motion…both of those are complete for big gains.

Even so, he showed he isn’t scared to stand in the pocket keeping his eyes downfield. He also did a great job of sliding up into the pocket to avoid rush at times.

Very happy with what I saw last night. Good arm, very mobile. As has already been said, don't lock in on a receiver, he did it a couple of times and nearly paid for it with an almost, should have been, pick six. A little bit of an issue with happy feet, I thought there were a couple of times he should have stayed in the pocket but he does throw pretty well on the run. In fairness to him, the entire offense picked up its game as the game went on, the offensive line in the first quarter had a couple of issues with someone either not picking up or missing blocks on the corner and it made him a little more antsy early on.

There was some practice highlights where the ball didn't look pretty. No wobble tonight. That was my most important takeaway.

Not too concerned about running. Yes, Levis got hurt. But it was a fluke where someone stepped on his foot or something odd. Brock has size where you let him run. Every now and then. In all things moderation. Feel safer him doing that than these little guys at other sbhools getting thrown down in the pocket.

What I really liked was his pocket awareness. That was the biggest difference I saw between him and Levis. Levis had little to no pocket awareness. Brock slid all over the pocket avoiding the rush, while keeping his eyes downfield. It was impressive. Many times he found his third option.

He’s got a cannon, too. Fleet of foot. Nifty QB. I think he should end up better than Levis.

Levis literally didn’t he got hurt against ole miss and was never the same in 2022 lol. We lost to South Carolina cause he was not playing and Vanderbilt because he was so hurt he couldn’t do anything even though he tried
Is there truth to the story that he kicked a chair after the game and broke his toe? That was the story

Dude has a rocket. Locked on to a couple guys that he shouldn’t have but other than that, very optimistic.

It was a breath of fresh air to see a QB with good escapability after watching Leary and Turf Toe Levis being statues for the past two years.

He’s gotta stop staring down his receivers though.

He didn't just lock on to his primary receiver once or twice. He stared them down. We didn't pay for it as much as we could've because we played a scrub, but it could've cost us against an SEC foe.

That said, for how much experience he has, his pros vastly outweigh his cons. If he goes through progressions quicker and gets the safety valve from time to time (along with some better pass pro), he'll become of the top QBs in the SEC as he develops. IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT