ADVERTISEMENT

Branham on Jasper

Further discussion about freshman signings. I think 4 would be about right (about 1/3 of the roster), Mix of contribute now from 2, 1 stud, and 1 multi year guy.

Would love to close on Jasper, land Yessoufo, a 6-5,210 lbs. wrecking ball Absolute ready now wing, very good 2 way player we always seem to miss on. Nate Ament, 6-9, 185lbs. PF. Needs to add weight, but he is more of a modern PF, does several things really well and is getting better every day, late bloomer, will be very good.

That would be for 2025 :

PG / SG - Jasper #22 ESPN (Now listed as a SG on ESPN, they was the ony one listing him as a PG before)
SF - Yessoufo #11 ESPN
PF - Ament (Virginia 33% / UK 29% on ESPN) #3 ranked per ESPN
C- Moreno #21 ESPN

Maybe sign a true PG in Mikel Brown, #15 ESPN. Give me this class and close up shop now. #3, #11, #15, #21, #22. (Mullins #35) if we do not get the 5 I mentioned.

Both Moreno and Ament will take a little time to adapt to the college game, but both are very capable, but both MUST add weight / get stronger.
Sign those 5 (all are realistic), let Moreno mature with Garrison hopefully coming back. I really would love to get Yessoufo, I truly believe he is going to be that stud wing. He is just so physical already on both ends and his shot has improved considerably.
That would be 5 top 25 guys, a top 5 in Ament #3(though I think he is ranked a bit too high, solid PG in Brown and 2 local kids top 25 ranked. Couldn't really ask for a much better 1st class for Pope. The Dybantsa, Boozer, and Petersons trio to me is not very likely but you have to at least recruit them.
JMO, I could be wrong.

EDIT : Sorry those was ON3 rankings. Disregard the ESPN rankings.

Last edited:
Exactly.

And he would do well here IMO. He may not be as good a shooter as other recruits but he is still a great college player potentially.

People on here micro focus on one aspect of basketball and forget it's an overall skill set that matters.
I thought he was supposed to be a great shooter?

Further discussion about freshman signings. I think 4 would be about right (about 1/3 of the roster), Mix of contribute now from 2, 1 stud, and 1 multi year guy.

Would love to close on Jasper, land Yessoufo, a 6-5,210 lbs. wrecking ball Absolute ready now wing, very good 2 way player we always seem to miss on. Nate Ament, 6-9, 185lbs. PF. Needs to add weight, but he is more of a modern PF, does several things really well and is getting better every day, late bloomer, will be very good.

That would be for 2025 :

PG / SG - Jasper #22 ESPN (Now listed as a SG on ESPN, they was the ony one listing him as a PG before)
SF - Yessoufo #11 ESPN
PF - Ament (Virginia 33% / UK 29% on ESPN) #3 ranked per ESPN
C- Moreno #21 ESPN

Maybe sign a true PG in Mikel Brown, #15 ESPN. Give me this class and close up shop now. #3, #11, #15, #21, #22. (Mullins #35) if we do not get the 5 I mentioned.

Both Moreno and Ament will take a little time to adapt to the college game, but both are very capable, but both MUST add weight / get stronger.
Sign those 5 (all are realistic), let Moreno mature with Garrison hopefully coming back. I really would love to get Yessoufo, I truly believe he is going to be that stud wing. He is just so physical already on both ends and his shot has improved considerably.
That would be 5 top 25 guys, a top 5 in Ament #3(though I think he is ranked a bit too high, solid PG in Brown and 2 local kids top 25 ranked. Couldn't really ask for a much better 1st class for Pope. The Dybantsa, Boozer, and Petersons trio to me is not very likely but you have to at least recruit them.
JMO, I could be wrong.

EDIT : Sorry those was ON3 rankings. Disregard the ESPN rankings.
If those guys are willing to come in and compete against veterans, I am all for it.

I just don’t want 4 or 5 Freshmen starting and expected to carry the load.

If you can get Oweh, Garrison, Chandler, Perry, and Noah to return and add some portal guys, and those four want to come, then I am all for it.

But would Yessoufou and Johnson both want to come here with the possibility of having to battle a Senior Oweh at the 2 or 3 or will they go somewhere where the coach will promise them a starting spot and 30 minutes a game (along with a big bag of cash)?

In this day and age, it’s usually a Jerry MaGuire moment: show me the money!!!! (and guaranteed minutes),

We get Johnson, pencil him in at the 2. Oweh at the 3. Garrison at the 5.

We need a portal PG. I don’t want an elite Freshmen PG who already has one foot out the door running the show. They make mistakes and turn the ball over a lot. I don’t see a Wall or Fox or even a Teague looking to come here, so give me another Butler type guy there.

Then give me Ament or even Yessoufou (if he is willing to play a small ball 4, he’s capable of playing there) at the 4.

I just don’t see us getting a bunch of 5-star guys unless Pope is willing to make certain playing time promises that he won’t make.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT