ADVERTISEMENT

Boom this week?

I love Hey Jude and it was nominated for record of the year in 1969 but Mrs. Robinson won the Grammy. Fact.

Their song "Hey Jude" was the best-performing single in 1968, spending a total of nine consecutive weeks atop the chart and tying the record at the time for the most consecutive weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. Fact.

Their song "Hey Jude" was the best-performing single in 1968, spending a total of nine consecutive weeks atop the chart and tying the record at the time for the most consecutive weeks at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100. Fact.
They are both great songs. You measure greatness by record sales. My standard is the vote of the artists, songwriters, producers and other industry professionals who are the membership of the Recording Academy. Different strokes ...

But he didn’t claim it sold the most records, instead he correctly said it won the Grammy for 68 Record of the Year.

Hence why you were wrong for saying he was wrong.

Last edited:
When I was growing up, we were so poor we didn’t have television until I was a teenager and still never had running water when I moved out at 19. My cousins had a radio and that’s how we listened to UK games back then.

Not everyone understands the lifestyle of those in the Appalachian mountains in the 70’s and early 80’s, I don’t expect them to. I was probably more worried about surviving and providing and somehow missed this great song you all are referencing.

They are both great songs. You measure greatness by record sales. My standard is the vote of the artists, songwriters, producers and other industry professionals who are the membership of the Recording Academy. Different strokes ...
Good post. And I measure greatness different than either of you; I consider a song great if it sounds great to my ears. And I personally don't consider either song even the best of that year by either S&F or the Beatles, much less of all artists.

Then we diid you a favor today. Everyone needs to know the #1 song in the year of their birth and Mrs. Robinson was the #1 of 1968. The first rock song to win the Grammy for Record of the Year.

@UK90

No I’m still correct!! 🤷‍♂️😉

BPlus, that song and the film that it was made for, The Graduate, was the Abrahamic origin of the so-called MILF movement.

It's a top 50 all-time American culture song and was the granddaddy anthem of the New Hollywood Era.
Respectfully, Saul ... I'm 77 years old, and I feel like I've been more familiar than most with the politics of the 50's, 60's, and 70's ... and I never heard of "the so-called MILF movement." Neither have I ever heard of any "Abrahamic" application of the "Mrs. Robinson" song other than that which is expressly stated in the words of the song. But, then ... I'm a Christian, and controversies between and among the so-called "Abrahamic religions" have now existed for more than two millennia, so I'll just not comment any further about that.
Best to you ... and more importantly ... Go 'Cats ! ! !

When I was growing up, we were so poor we didn’t have television until I was a teenager and still never had running water when I moved out at 19. My cousins had a radio and that’s how we listened to UK games back then.

Not everyone understands the lifestyle of those in the Appalachian mountains in the 70’s and early 80’s, I don’t expect them to. I was probably more worried about surviving and providing and somehow missed this great song you all are referencing.
Have you heard “You’ll never leave Harlan alive?”

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Well, do you like the song? I’m 43 and moved to America in 86 and have heard it about 5,000 times and definitely enjoy it.

MILF ........ 76 and my son had to explain the term MILF. Back in the day Mrs.
Robinson certainly qualified. Today ....... JLO would be right there along with many others. If my heart could stand it. ( - :

• Haha
I was impressed with Poplar when we played Miami. He's got serious offensive game and can get his shot against basically anyone on the college level, but would need to be willing to work more on D. I didn't see enough of Miami's games to really get a picture of how he played the rest of the season. How realistic is Poplar as an option though?

Robinson seems like a no-brainer, but this off-season has been a roller coaster for us. Nothing can be taken for granted. If Pope brings in either Poplar or Robinson and holds a spot for Riley reclass, I think that's probably going to be the roster.

If you add either of those pieces plus a Riley, I think you've got potential to make some noise. Riley is one of the few freshmen who could come in day one at the 3 and average 16 ppg within the normal flow of the offense.

False. It was “Hey Jude” by the Beatles.
It's hard to say which was the first since "rock" is a blurry kind of word. (Hey Jude didn't win Song of the Year in 1969. Little Green Apples did.) It seems to me that A Hard Day's Night was the first rock song nominated. Is What a Fool Believes a rock song? It won in 1980. You probably have to go to 1982 for Bette Davis Eyes to find the fist unambiguous rock song. Jackie DeShannon and Donna Weiss wrote it.

I'd have nominated Can't Buy Me Love instead of A Hard Day's Night, btw.

Would love to debate music of the 60's all day long but back to the business at hand. If not Robinson then who? We have 2 spots(freshman, overseas player player from the portal)

Simon and Garfunkel. That's too old a reference for many. But if you remember the 60s you never really experienced them.

I don’t remember the 60’s at all being born in 68’ and I do not remember much from the 70’s to be honest.

I’ve heard of this new thing where people will forget bad things that they’ve been through as a coping mechanism. I guess some of mine could be due to that.

I was born in 1968 and never heard the particular song one time in my life that I can recall.

So if being old isn’t an good enough excuse to you, I guess I’ll just go back to my cave.. lol
I must be hip. Born 1960 and I've heard that song hundreds of times over my life time. We has radios back then.

From the movie, The Graduate, starring Dustin Hofmann and Ann Bancroft. I see the future and the future is plastic

Never saw it either.. 😂 My wife use to manage a BlockBuster back in the day and she can’t believe I’ve never watched so many well known movies. I don’t watch much tv outside of sports.

I will get blasted for this but if I watch anything outside of sports it’s Little House on the prairie, Andy Griffith, Bonanza or Sanford and Son. 😂

I must be hip. Born 1960 and I've heard that song hundreds of times over my life time. We has radios back then.

My cousin had a radio and that’s what I listened to UK games on. Otherwise, our entertainment was staying alive.

There’s a rumor on the discord that Caleb love may try to enter the portal if things don’t work out with the draft. If that happens would you guys wants him? I say yes.

Reactions: CarolinaCatsFan
I’ve heard Simon and Garfunkel before but not that particular song.

Even if I’ve heard the song before, I’m being blasted for being old and not knowing song lyrics from the 1960’s right away.. lol
Well, I’m not trying to blast you. I just think it’s remarkable. Otoh it means you have a whole mountain of great music you can explore if you ever want to.

Graduate-image.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
It's hard to say which was the first since "rock" is a blurry kind of word. (Hey Jude didn't win Song of the Year in 1969. Little Green Apples did.) It seems to me that A Hard Day's Night was the first rock song nominated. Is What a Fool Believes a rock song? It won in 1980. You probably have to go to 1982 for Bette Davis Eyes to find the fist unambiguous rock song. Jackie DeShannon and Donna Weiss wrote it.

I'd have nominated Can't Buy Me Love instead of A Hard Day's Night, btw.
You made some good points. I agree that Can't Buy Me Love is a better song than A Hard Day's Night.
Also, rock is now so general a term as to almost be meaningless. For example, I'd say What a Fool Believes and Bette Davis Eyes are pure pop and as closely related to Frank Sinatra as to Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd, just to name a couple famous rock bands(whose music is not at all alike). A Hard Day's Night is definitely rock but, imo, not particularly good rock and not one of the Beatles' better songs.

Well, I’m not trying to blast you. I just think it’s remarkable. Otoh it means you have a whole mountain of great music you can explore if you ever want to.

Not really my cup of tea but I do love discovering new music. Most of the music I listen to today is by people not signed to record labels. Not all but most.

Reactions: BlueSince92
There’s a rumor on the discord that Caleb love may try to enter the portal if things don’t work out with the draft. If that happens would you guys wants him? I say yes.
I’d love the defense and reliable scoring he could give us. But I’d be afraid he would jam up the 1 and the 2 a little bit. I’m not sure I really like the ways we could use our planned-for pieces there around him if he played big minutes and I would think it would be silly to take him and not play him big minutes. SOS at Arizona last year was through the roof so he may have more upside than his straight numbers indicate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT