ADVERTISEMENT

Boom

Every team who makes the tournament finishes the season with a loss. Except 1.

If you're intent on being sad, there will always be a reason.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Kentucky signed Almonor as a back-up, a guy who has more NCAA tournament wins as a player than THE ENTIRE UK PROGRAM for the past five years. In those two wins, he was high scorer in the first game with 23, then took on the role of harassing Purdue's Edey the whole game on the way to maybe the biggest upset in NCAA tournament history. And you see no reason to add him? This cannot be where some of Kentucky's real fans are now.
Hold up there buddy. Did you see me saying I don’t see any reason to add him? Go check, I’ll wait

Are you disabled and not able to type his name in a YouTube search bar??? You likely have already looked up his highlights and stats but you have an agenda to push and those mean UK coaches just keep tinkering with your fragile little feelings don’t they? 😃
lol. I’ll assure you of two things. Number 1 I am the least agenda driven person here. I literally have NO agenda. Number 2, I have never in my life looked up a players highlights on YouTube. What a complete waste of time.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
This doesn't deserve another thread but the cool thing about this year is we get to practically watch two Kentucky teams + see them go H2H

The what could of been Coach Cal team and the Pope led transfer team.

Reactions: catzcan
So I posed the question about how good this kid because I literally had never heard of him. So it. Seems I have my answer, we brought him here for depth. That’s cool. We need backups.

But we brought out the Daffy Duck gif for a backup. We have to do better in this area.

That was my only point

This doesn't deserve another thread but the cool thing about this year is we get to practically watch two Kentucky teams + see them go H2H

The what could of been Coach Cal team and the Pope led transfer team.
True. What almost was vs. what is. Can't wait!

Those weren’t the only options, would have much rather had Oates (KSR said the other day we didn’t reach out to him), Donovan (wait and ask, you could get Pope anytime), Pearl, Golden, Beard, or Lloyd. Now we have a coach that only got hired because he played here.
Good points and all valid, but would you trade Pope for Cal? Thanks.

Just step away from the keyboard and let this play out. You might learn something
I think I remember seeing where UK Trustees told Mitch he could not (NOT) go after Bruce Pearl, Nate Oats and a few other coaches. I still see on here people saying I wanted Oats. SO you wanted Oats, people that control UK said no you cannot have Oats. Not sure this is hard to understand. NATE OATS never was offered the job. Nate Oats made his public statement like he had a shot. He did that to try to get more $$$ out of Bama.

We struck out on Hurley and Drew, and apparently, Donovan wasn't interested, and we really could not afford to wait around for him. I also doubt he would have put together a roster as quickly as Pope and staff have already done. I like the Pope hire, much more than Pearl, etc. Pitino gave a great endorsement, so I think this was a good hire with lots of upside. Plus, the fanbase is mostly energized again.
Donovan was never offered neither was Oats or Pearl.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
lol. I’ll assure you of two things. Number 1 I am the least agenda driven person here. I literally have NO agenda. Number 2, I have never in my life looked up a players highlights on YouTube. What a complete waste of time.

Number 3: Stop asking other people for assessments on players when all those people have to go off of are highlights and stats. None of us are professional talent evaluators, therefore, you aren’t gonna get a super informative breakdown.

You know that though, but you choose to still ask for what reason other than to argue or troll?

LOL. So our assistant coach releases a tweet at 8:59 essentially telling EVERYBODY in the world this news. And six minutes LATER Trilly “predicts” it?

What a joke. Hey, who wouldn’t wanna pay for super inside scoops like that!
To be fair he called this long ago he’s the one who brought attention to it.

He could've gone to Siena to be their star player and put up 15 shots a game. He chose to come to UK and be a backup, 9th man type player who gets 5 shots a game. Quality depth piece at a position of need. Great pickup. My only complaint is he's another guy with only 1 year of eligibility. I wish we had a little more potential for roster continuity after this season.
Pope said he'd be recuiting top talent but given the circumstances and short time...he's already done it but I think he means younger players after this season and beyond. NIL is new to us all. This year's team will certainly leave room and time to recruit 5 stars, if that's what he wants to do for the next season. Personally, I give Pope a solid A so far. If he can land a guy that can drive the basket past his defender in the SEC, I gotta give him an A+. I do think we still need that guy. Pope's offense is based on, you can't run as fast as I can pass, kinda mentality and it's just truth, if done right. But there are gonna be times when we have to have that guy that we know can get to the rim....or at least has a great floater. It just changes the way other teams have to defend us. Interior passing will be huge too. Good passers and interior guys with great hands and good foot work is what will work in this system. I think we have most of that.

On3 also factors in a in/out transfer ranking - Teams like WVU and UL look good because the players out weren't very productive. UL's player in ranking is 88 vs player out at 73.4. UK has a 86.6 (in) vs 83.6 (out).

This proprietary algorithm determines if a school has improved its overall team talent, stayed the same, or declined in talent during the transfer window.

Louisville also has 10 transfers coming in, but 2 of them are redshirting, while our ranking is based on 7 incoming as of this morning. So we really should have an 8 vs 8 comparison.
That makes sense then, it tries to replicate talent which we had in spades leaving. It’s not just a ranking based on quality of players coming in. So that makes me think our class is more toward the top 5 of the other ranking, especially with so many transfers coming in.

pXFyjLu.gif

He could've gone to Siena to be their star player and put up 15 shots a game. He chose to come to UK and be a backup, 9th man type player who gets 5 shots a game. Quality depth piece at a position of need. Great pickup. My only complaint is he's another guy with only 1 year of eligibility. I wish we had a little more potential for roster continuity after this season.
Agree with the concern
I think, though, that was mostly circumstances
CMP had a very short time to build a roster. He’s not had time to build relationships with freshmen recruits. Even more he hasn’t had time to show what kinds of teams he will put on the floor that will make it attractive for portal players with more than one year of eligibility to check us out.
That being said, we do have a few guys who will still be here 25-26 season to help get it all rolling

Reactions: catfan220
So I posed the question about how good this kid because I literally had never heard of him. So it. Seems I have my answer, we brought him here for depth. That’s cool. We need backups.

But we brought out the Daffy Duck gif for a backup. We have to do better in this area.

That was my only point
Dude I think as a whole were so exited about all the changes that any good news brings out daffy. Yeah it’s probably overkill in this case but hey, no real harm right?
I only hope no one goes blind

• Haha
Reactions: ukfan1622

That was my only point
I will fix it where you cant see it don't worry

Reactions: Rockfly78
Dude I think as a whole were so exited about all the changes that any good news brings out daffy. Yeah it’s probably overkill in this case but hey, no real harm right?
I only hope no one goes blind
Of course there's no harm in it. But I'm afraid we are setting ourselves up for disappointment. Yes, change is exciting but we can't be out here wacking it to a soft 6. We are still Kentucky and if we are to remain kentucky then we can't let our standards slip.

Pope, go get me a hard 8 so me and Daffy can light a candle and turn down the lights.

• Haha
Reactions: Bkocats
Almonor's former coach and current Iona coach called him the smartest player he's ever coached. Love to hear that. BBIQ covers up other limitations when you are a role player.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
Of course there's no harm in it. But I'm afraid we are setting ourselves up for disappointment. Yes, change is exciting but we can't be out here wacking it to a soft 6. We are still Kentucky and if we are to remain kentucky then we can't let our standards slip.

Pope, go get me a hard 8 so me and Daffy can light a candle and turn down the lights.
Fair statements

Reactions: Rockfly78
Agree with the concern
I think, though, that was mostly circumstances
CMP had a very short time to build a roster. He’s not had time to build relationships with freshmen recruits. Even more he hasn’t had time to show what kinds of teams he will put on the floor that will make it attractive for portal players with more than one year of eligibility to check us out.
That being said, we do have a few guys who will still be here 25-26 season to help get it all rolling
I agree, overall very happy with the roster in such a short time. If all players with additional eligibility come back, we’ll have 5 returners as of now. Not bad, not great.

Noah, Perry, Chandler, Oweh, Garrison. Probably 2-3 starters in that group.

If you haven't read the interview with Almonor on On3 you should. The guy is all in on helping us win number 9. Talking about how Pope does not promise players minutes and how he is going to come here and work his butt off for this program and this state. And how Kentucky is the highest of the highest college basketball program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT