ADVERTISEMENT

Bolden. Wait for it...

I agree with post #1114950. Giles and Jefferson will start for Duke at the 4/5 period. You also have Jeter who is going to eat up some minutes at that position. If Bolden picks Duke, he is fine with not being a starter and only about 15 minutes per game.

At UK - Even if Lee came back, he starts over him. He and BAM WILL start at the 4/5. SKJ and Humphries will back them up - but he will get 5-10 minutes more per game at UK than at Duke. I think that is a big advantage.

Also Giles is going to dominate the ball at Duke down low. BAM doesn't need to command the ball to be effective - he is a high energy, rebound, put back - fast break guy. I doubt the offense runs through BAM.

So more minutes, the post offense will run through him more at UK and equally good if not better team at UK - to be he comes to UK. The Jefferson and Lee news were both pluses for UK with Bolden.

Who knows how much longer it takes, but I feel more confident than ever in him being a CAT!

Bolden and his "handlers" and family have definitely killed the momentum by going completely silent. Maybe that's what they wanted, although I'm sure their phone is still ringing off the wall from media calls trying to get a scoop.

Has to be one of the more odd approaches to a decision - tons of hype, and then completely disappearing for a week. Seems though that if they were waiting on certain decisions to be made by both UK and Duke players, the announcement / MOVEMENT should occur any day, as we pretty much know the status of Lee, Thornton, and Jefferson.

Oh well, that's my one check in for the day...will pop in here tomorrow to see how the MOVEMENT is going.

Reactions: TexKat
Just curious, can anyone detail exactly what happened last week to make "insiders" feel good about UK's chances to land Bolden... or is that still considered "premium" info? I still haven't heard much about what went down.

Bolden likes UK and has wanted to go to UK since the Fall, but there were scholarship issues to work out. As others have noted however, parents and high school coach have been pushing Duke.

All indications are that as of a few weeks ago, the Duke forces had won out and Bolden was headed to Duke. I think Cal had even conceded at this point.

I think the Thornton situation changed things though, specifically the suggestion by Thornton's "Uncle" that Thornton had been misled about his role and playing time. More accurately however, it probably just gave Marques an opening to push back against the people who were wanting him to go to Duke.

There was a rumor that Bolden himself had called Cal a couple of days after that last Duke visit, and I believe it. There were also very strong rumors soon thereafter that Bolden was going to commit to UK at the Jordan Brand Classic. Obviously, that didn't happen.

Personally, I think the hold up is that the UK scholarship situation is still uncertain. Lee has said he wants to go to the NBA, but has left open the possibility he could come back.

Right now, Duke has an open scholarship, UK does not unless Lee opts to stay in the draft. That's a bigger deal than anyone appreciates. Cal isn't going to force out a kid he recruited to make room for Bolden, plus the reality is that if Lee comes back, Bolden isn't a must have recruit.

Bolden likes UK and has wanted to go to UK since the Fall, but there were scholarship issues to work out. As others have noted however, parents and high school coach have been pushing Duke.

All indications are that as of a few weeks ago, the Duke forces had won out and Bolden was headed to Duke. I think Cal had even conceded at this point.

I think the Thornton situation changed things though, specifically the suggestion by Thornton's "Uncle" that Thornton had been misled about his role and playing time. More accurately however, it probably just gave Marques an opening to push back against the people who were wanting him to go to Duke.

There was a rumor that Bolden himself had called Cal a couple of days after that last Duke visit, and I believe it. There were also very strong rumors soon thereafter that Bolden was going to commit to UK at the Jordan Brand Classic. Obviously, that didn't happen.

Personally, I think the hold up is that the UK scholarship situation is still uncertain. Lee has said he wants to go to the NBA, but has left open the possibility he could come back.

Right now, Duke has an open scholarship, UK does not unless Lee opts to stay in the draft. That's a bigger deal than anyone appreciates. Cal isn't going to force out a kid he recruited to make room for Bolden, plus the reality is that if Lee comes back, Bolden isn't a must have recruit.
Thanks for the summary, I appreciate it.

That's basically what I have been saying, but got laughed at for believing that Cal wouldn't cut somebody for Bolden.

Yep. Thanks for this.

But here's the rub. The last day of the spring signing period is May 18. The NCAA deadline for withdrawal from the draft is May 25. So if he's waiting to see if Lee stays in, then he isn't signing before May 18.

Obviously it will work itself out. But the sequence of dates aren't going to give him certainty on the UK end if that's what he's looking for.

The scholarship is the easiest thing to work out. And you better believe Cal will strongly suggest to someone that he doesn't see becoming a contributor, to consider another place. Don't know about you guys, but I'd rather have Bolden than Lee. Lee hasn't done anything with the opportunity given to him. Love the kid, but he isn't what we need to win a championship. Honestly, I hope Briscoe stays in the draft. He can't shoot, makes bad decisions with the ball, and lacks athleticism for his size. No way would I want him running the point.

Lee was pretty good and our most reliable big mid-season and then fell off the last part... which of course will be most remembered.
If he could, with another year of maturity just add consistency to what he was mid-season last year, he'd be very important this year. Having said all that, I think he's gone.

Anyone that wants Briscoe gone is not thinking clearly. He shot it something awful, but he rebounded big, passes it very well, disrupts the defense and gets into the lane at will, and defends very well. That's a guy you WANT on the team.
If he shoots it better.. he could be one of our best players, easily. If he doesn't, he will still be very valuable. Besides, it's not like Fox and Monk are going to play 40 minutes each...

Reactions: moe#8
Lee has not panned out! Time to move on! He can't catch the ball and when he does he can barely hold on to it! Has been a letdown as far a a 5* recruit goes with the exception of that brief time his freshman season in the tourney against Michigan and UofL!

The NBA combine is May 11-15. I think by the end of that week, Lee will have gotten enough feedback to know if needs to come back or stay in the draft. He's not going to wait until the last minute to decide.

That would still give Bolden an opportunity to sign a letter of intent. If Lee doesn't decide by May 18, Bolden can just sign scholarship papers. It's really not that big of a deal.

Reactions: jrpross
I'm thinking (hoping) that as soon as the word 'agent' emerges from Marcus Lee that Bolden will set an announcement date.

The NBA combine is May 11-15. I think by the end of that week, Lee will have gotten enough feedback to know if needs to come back or stay in the draft. He's not going to wait until the last minute to decide.

That would still give Bolden an opportunity to sign a letter of intent. If Lee doesn't decide by May 18, Bolden can just sign scholarship papers. It's really not that big of a deal.

^^This^^ The signing deadline should be of no concern to any top recruit. In fact, if I were an advisor to a top athlete, I would recommend they commit, but don't sign until as late as possible. This way any changes in the coaching staff or even school issues that may affect the program and the kids decision could be factored in and move on to another school if the kid chooses.

Cal encourages players not to sign a NLOI and just sign scholarship papers. The NLOI benefits the school not the player. Cal knows this and is all about the players and what is best for them.

The scholarship is the easiest thing to work out. And you better believe Cal will strongly suggest to someone that he doesn't see becoming a contributor, to consider another place. Don't know about you guys, but I'd rather have Bolden than Lee. Lee hasn't done anything with the opportunity given to him. Love the kid, but he isn't what we need to win a championship. Honestly, I hope Briscoe stays in the draft. He can't shoot, makes bad decisions with the ball, and lacks athleticism for his size. No way would I want him running the point.
The single most dumbest take ever on a player on this board. Briscoe was able to get to the rim at will. You must have been asleep when he was penetrating and kicking out to Murray or Willis for open 3's. Also one of the best rebounders and finishers for a guard in the country last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ecwildcat
I'm surprised some think Lee will return.Some of his comments about him not being able to showcase his talents here came off to me as pretty negative considering he was given every chance last season.And talking to a guy like Goodman who hates Cal and UK also seemed to say something.If he's not picked up by an NBA team I think he goes overseas.

Reactions: DanHalen88
The single most dumbest take ever on a player on this board. Briscoe was able to get to the rim at will. You must have been asleep when he was penetrating and kicking out to Murray or Willis for open 3's. Also one of the best rebounders and finishers for a guard in the country last year.

You might want to think about your own grammar before you talk about someone having the "most dumbest" take. Your sentence also doesn't have a verb.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat

Best post on Bolden on this thread. Common since appreciated !

For the last time...Lee staying or going has nothing to do with Bolden..the scholarship situation will work out. LEE has made it clear he wants to go pro...he doesn't want to be at UK...goog luck Marcus..turn the page

Reactions: Ghettobird
For the last time...Lee staying or going has nothing to do with Bolden..the scholarship situation will work out. LEE has made it clear he wants to go pro...he doesn't want to be at UK...goog luck Marcus..turn the page
I agree that coaches somehow make the scholarship issue work, but maybe Bolden is the type that does not want to play for a coach who pushes a player out to make room for him. If Lee leaves on his own accord it makes the decision easier, and this maybe the reason for the delay.

I agree that coaches somehow make the scholarship issue work, but maybe Bolden is the type that does not want to play for a coach who pushes a player out to make room for him. If Lee leaves on his own accord it makes the decision easier, and this maybe the reason for the delay.

Maybe there is no specific reason for the delay. He will announce when he is ready. No reason to rush things.

Don't know about you guys, but I'd rather have Bolden than Lee. Lee hasn't done anything with the opportunity given to him. Love the kid, but he isn't what we need to win a championship. Honestly, I hope Briscoe stays in the draft. He can't shoot, makes bad decisions with the ball, and lacks athleticism for his size. No way would I want him running the point.
Lee has not panned out! Time to move on! He can't catch the ball and when he does he can barely hold on to it! Has been a letdown as far a a 5* recruit goes with the exception of that brief time his freshman season in the tourney against Michigan and UofL!

This is the kind of loyalty I like to see. It's heartwarming, really. At some other places the players are viewed cynically, they exist merely to entertain the fan base - they serve no other purpose really - and are discarded as soon as something better comes along. Really glad we aren't like that. Way to go!!

Let's just say.....I agree with previous posters that he's waiting on UK's scholarship situation. Agree with Cat Ballou above, he does not have to sign a NLI.

At this point I think anyone that says they know are full of BS.

For the simple fact that I don't believe Bolden himself knows
No offense but you kind of contradicted yourself. You state that anyone who says they know are full of BS yet you say Bolden doesn't know. How do you know whether Bolden knows where he wants to go to or not? You must be full of BS too.

No offense but you kind of contradicted yourself. You state that anyone who says they know are full of BS yet you say Bolden doesn't know. How do you know whether Bolden knows where he wants to go to or not? You must be full of BS too.
well, with all due respect, he did say he doesn't BELIEVE Bolden knows - not stating as fact, but as opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT