ADVERTISEMENT

Bolden choice coming soon !!!!!

what about the kid at Uconn?
i know you can't go on academic scholarship without counting towards the athletics scholarship
but i think a in-state can go off scholarship and pay his own way

I have never heard of any in-state deal whatsoever.

Any player recruited as a scholarship athlete for bball or football will always count if they are on the team and eligible to play has always been the rule as I know of.

The Drummond issue occurred because bradley was redshirted for a specific reason unrelated to basketball..specialty school program...

Drummond actually ended up giving the schollie back and walked on that year.

Any player recruited as a scholarship athlete for bball or football will always count if they are on the team and eligible to play has always been the rule as I know of.

The Drummond issue occurred because bradley was redshirted for a specific reason unrelated to basketball..specialty school program...

I'm pretty sure ANY player can go off scholly and pay their own way (Estill did it) and not count against the scholly limit. What they can't do is go on a different scholly , like academic and not count against the limit.

DraftExpress has Allen at 30th. That is hardly some amazing, guaranteed spot... in fact, it is literally as borderline 1st around as is possible.

Listen, until you can come up with some great evidence about these Duke players who were looking at being a top draft pick and were forced to come back, and then these Kentucky players who were aching to come back but Cal talked sense into them, your position is biased nonsense. We know very little about any conversations coaches have with players, other than what is released (which is obviously coordinated) so to act otherwise is silly.

I have no idea what Coach K is saying to Grayson Allen. He is not in the same position as any of our OADs, and is not a guy who is a top 15 prospect. Hell, every poster on this board has said Allen will suck in the League. So why on earth should he bolt now, when A) he has a lot to work on, and B) he has a chance to be a leader on a truly special team next year?

That's the worst of all the mock drafts I have seen. The best being 20, but last week when I looked the best one was 15th I think. Seems like he has fallen in the last week though, so I'm sure he will be back now. You guys can rest easy I guess.

I'm pretty sure ANY player can go off scholly and pay their own way (Estill did it) and not count against the scholly limit. What they can't do is go on a different scholly , like academic and not count against the limit.

I may be wrong, but i do know that basketball and football are much more stringent on original scholarship recruited players.

Closed a lot of loopholes a few years back.

If Allen returns, Duke is the prohibitive favorite IMO. Kansas will likely be in the discussion too based on who leaves early. UK hopefully will be in the mix by March but returning talent of Duke and Kansas trumps freshmen until proven otherwise.

Depends. If we keep Briscoe and Lee and add Bolden, I like our chances just as much as anyone. If Allen returns and they get Bolden, then yeah I would even worry about an them having an undefeated season.

I may be wrong, but i do know that basketball and football are much more stringent on original scholarship recruited players.

Closed a lot of loopholes a few years back.

I wouldn't doubt if they made it so that recruited players can not go off scholarship without it counting towards the schollie limit. Otherwise, there is the danger a team could stack their rosters, with boosters paying the tuition under the table.

Reactions: brianpoe

being redshirted has no barring on taking up a scholarship
no-matter if Drummond gave it back he was still recruited as a scholarship player

i said in-state because it is much cheaper for in-state students to pay their own way
Tubby got Estill a lot of in-state grant money to pay his way after he gave up that scholarship

they did close a lot of loop holes
but Uconn still used one

Reactions: brianpoe
being redshirted has no barring on taking up a scholarship
no-matter if Drummond gave it back he was still recruited as a scholarship player

i said in-state because it is much cheaper for in-state students to pay their own way
Tubby got Estill a lot of in-state grant money to pay his way after he gave up that scholarship

they did close a lot of loop holes
but Uconn still used one

Drummond definitely counted, but Bradley did not play that year for some reason. UConn had like 15 guys that year.

No Oklahoma? That's a surprise. TCU, with a new coach, won't be really considered.
That's what I thought. At least if he left Oklahoma on there, there'd be a dark horse candidate. Now we all know it's a 2-school race. Clearly the kid has no idea how to dramatize an announcement.

Depends. If we keep Briscoe and Lee and add Bolden, I like our chances just as much as anyone. If Allen returns and they get Bolden, then yeah I would even worry about an them having an undefeated season.

I think Allen makes the jump. He's got less playing time waiting next year with the addition of Jackson and the marginalization of Jones at the 2/3, who will be fighting for wing minutes as well with Tatum solidifying the 3 spot.

PG - Thornton/Jackson
SG - Allen/ Kennard/Jackson/Jones
SF - Tatum/ Jones
PF - Jefferson/Tatum
C - Giles/ Jeter/ Obi

If Duke lands Bolden, it makes Allen's decision even more obvious, because K would likely place Giles at the 4 fulltime and give Tatum 30-35 minutes a game at the wing forward, thus forcing Jones to compete for his minutes at the off-guard position.

Word has come out from several people on the Duke forums that I frequent that Allen has already said he will be back. Take that as you will.

Duke will have a severe logjam at the guard spots; not that that's a terrible thing. But, at some point, people are going to be on the bench longer than they want.

I think Allen makes the jump. He's got less playing time waiting next year with the addition of Jackson and the marginalization of Jones at the 2/3, who will be fighting for wing minutes as well with Tatum solidifying the 3 spot.

PG - Thornton/Jackson
SG - Allen/ Kennard/Jackson/Jones
SF - Tatum/ Jones
PF - Jefferson/Tatum
C - Giles/ Jeter/ Obi

If Duke lands Bolden, it makes Allen's decision even more obvious, because K would likely place Giles at the 4 fulltime and give Tatum 30-35 minutes a game at the wing forward, thus forcing Jones to compete for his minutes at the off-guard position.
I REALLY want Bolden if for no other reason then to make K a liar. One of the big things that Duke promised Giles in order to sign him was that he would not have to play Center. I suppose they could play Jefferson at Center next year but it will be weird having the larger, more athletic player at Power Forward on defense.

Word has come out from several people on the Duke forums that I frequent that Allen has already said he will be back. Take that as you will.
Of course! Ratface has assured him it is in his best interest to return to Duke in order to cement his status as one of the biggest, and that takes some doing, assholes in Duke's history.

I REALLY want Bolden if for no other reason then to make K a liar. One of the big things that Duke promised Giles in order to sign him was that he would not have to play Center. I suppose they could play Jefferson at Center next year but it will be weird having the larger, more athletic player at Power Forward on defense.

Although Jefferson doesn't fit the traditional mold of a center, he will be our center next year. He has played a lot of minutes at the center for us in the past. Jefferson/Jeter will man the center spot and Giles will be at the 4.

You can put words into my mouth all you like. Weak sauce.

I didn't put any words in your mouth.......you said them.

" Couldn't be that their coaches care more about keeping them around could it?"

If that doesn't mean that Coach K would convince Allen to come back against his will, then what does it mean? Your words not mine.

Reactions: mapcatfan
Although Jefferson doesn't fit the traditional mold of a center, he will be our center next year. He has played a lot of minutes at the center for us in the past. Jefferson/Jeter will man the center spot and Giles will be at the 4.

If I may ask, what is the feeling from Duke insiders regarding Bolden? Several weeks back they thought he was UK bound. Then there seemingly was guarded optimism he was torn between Duke/UK.

Thanks, Darryl

If I may ask, what is the feeling from Duke insiders regarding Bolden? Several weeks back they thought he was UK bound. Then there seemingly was guarded optimism he was torn between Duke/UK.

Thanks, Darryl

If you asked me a week ago, I would have said most of the Duke insiders gave us about a 1% chance of landing Bolden. I have some connections myself with Duke people and I have heard UK. However, there was one trusted source who came out yesterday and said he still feels good about Duke's chances with Bolden. When you pair that with the recruiting guy on the Crystal Ball from Houston, TX that picked Duke yesterday it sent some of the Duke boards a blaze with hope. I still think he's going to UK assuming Briscoe, Lee, or someone else leaves. I think that's why he set the date later to wait and see who leaves from UK.

To tell you the truth, the mention of TCU worries me. Jamie Dixon is going to put everything he has into getting him, and has plenty of playing time as well as location to offer.

It's my understanding that Giles doesn't want to guard Center's on defense. So I agree that Jefferson will start at Center but what happens if it becomes apparent that Giles is a better post defender then Jefferson because he is bigger and more athletic and likely a much better shot blocker?

To tell you the truth, the mention of TCU worries me. Jamie Dixon is going to put everything he has into getting him, and has plenty of playing time as well as location to offer.
Great post. I have been told not to sleep on tcu

It's my understanding that Giles doesn't want to guard Center's on defense. So I agree that Jefferson will start at Center but what happens if it becomes apparent that Giles is a better post defender then Jefferson because he is bigger and more athletic and likely a much better shot blocker?

Fair question and a very good one.........I guess Giles would have to guard the other team's center IF it helped the team. My understanding was that Giles didn't want to play center on offense and wanted the freedom to be a stretch 4. If he has specifically said "he doesn't want to guard opposing teams centers" than he may not have a choice in that matter at times. I trust that he and Coach K hashed all that out ahead of time and have a plan in place. Much like Cal had a conversation with Gabriel about playing the 3. Ultimately, we don't know what was said in those conversations, but apparently (in both cases) the answer was good enough for Gabriel/Giles.

Reactions: Ukgold
Z71sab, I thought you just said yesterday or the day before that Bolden would be UK's starting center next year? Now you are saying don't sleep on TCU??

I believe Feldhaus may have given up his scholarship at one point.

In the U Part 2 documentary (30 for 30), they mentioned Miami putting football players on track scholarships (spring sport) when they were in some trouble a while back.

But, football is not basketball, so the rules may be different, or may have changed.

Z71sab, I thought you just said yesterday or the day before that Bolden would be UK's starting center next year? Now you are saying don't sleep on TCU??
I'm guessing the Dixon hire on Monday has complicated things. You have to admit, it's a big hire for them.

He has no inside info, so his guess is as good as anyone's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT