7. Matthews
8. Willis
9. Hawkins
10. Humphries
11. Wynyard
12. Briscoe
13. Mulder

I don't see anyone transferring.
Unless w're surprised, I'm assuming Briscoe is back.

So...?

No inside info but my guess would be that Briscoe is not coming back. After Briscoe, I would say that Lee could graduate then look for immediate playing time.

Again, no inside info but I see those two as the only real possibilities.

Bolden isnt going to Duke, Jefferson returning closed the door on any chance of that happening....

Last edited:
Where is Briscoe going...NBA? Would love to have him back for his hustle, defense, driving ability and leadership. Would hope he would stay in the gym to work on his shot.

So as Duke fan, let me preface this by saying that I think Bolden will end up at UK. But I know UK is at the 13 scholarship limit with Briscoe and Lee both back. Who do you think leaves? Somebody HAS to go to free up the spot for Bolden right? Or do you guys have somebody who is a walk on using a scholarship or something of that nature? Want to clarify that I am asking a honest question and in no way trying to troll.

As for Duke, will Amile coming back puts us at 12 and IF Allen came back, we would be at 13 as well. There are talks of Obi not playing anymore after this year due to lack of playing time, knee injuries, and graduating early. So it seems that both Duke and UK need to make room to add Bolden.

So as Duke fan, let me preface this by saying that I think Bolden will end up at UK. But I know UK is at the 13 scholarship limit with Briscoe and Lee both back. Who do you think leaves? Somebody HAS to go to free up the spot for Bolden right? Or do you guys have somebody who is a walk on using a scholarship or something of that nature. Want to clarify that I am asking a honest question and in no way trying to troll.

As for Duke, will Amile coming back puts us at 12 and IF Allen came back, we would be at 13 as well. There are talks of Obi not playing anymore after this year due to lack of playing time, knee injuries, and graduating early. So it seems that both Duke and UK need to make room to add Bolden.

Floreal is, but I'm already assuming that he goes back to walk on to put us at 13.

So as Duke fan, let me preface this by saying that I think Bolden will end up at UK. But I know UK is at the 13 scholarship limit with Briscoe and Lee both back. Who do you think leaves? Somebody HAS to go to free up the spot for Bolden right? Or do you guys have somebody who is a walk on using a scholarship or something of that nature. Want to clarify that I am asking a honest question and in no way trying to troll.

Marcus Lee should grad transfer to a team that will give him 30 minutes a game on a good team. There are many teams that would take him quickly. He needs a full 30+ minute season to get to the league.
Duke might be one of those teams. They could use a Marcus Lee at Center.

So as Duke fan, let me preface this by saying that I think Bolden will end up at UK. But I know UK is at the 13 scholarship limit with Briscoe and Lee both back. Who do you think leaves?

Most likely scenario is someone leaves early for the NBA that we aren't really expecting. Seems like it happens every year. Dakari, Goodwin, and so on... That would be my first guess - Briscoe goes pro.

So as Duke fan, let me preface this by saying that I think Bolden will end up at UK. But I know UK is at the 13 scholarship limit with Briscoe and Lee both back. Who do you think leaves? Somebody HAS to go to free up the spot for Bolden right? Or do you guys have somebody who is a walk on using a scholarship or something of that nature? Want to clarify that I am asking a honest question and in no way trying to troll.

What's your read about Allen leaving?

Marcus Lee should grad transfer to a team that will give him 30 minutes a game on a good team. There are many teams that would take him quickly. He needs a full 30+ minute season to get to the league.

Lol you think his best NBA chance is somewhere else? You think more minutes=better NBA potential? Seems very anti-Cal/anti-KY

What's your read about Allen leaving?

The rumors I'm hearing is that he is leaning towards coming back. He is a different type of kid that enjoys college basketball and has been a die hard Duke fan his whole life. The whispers are that he would really like to play with next year's team and have a chance at another ring. He started the 3 year graduation plan when he enrolled at Duke and I don't think he would've done that if he planned on bouncing after a year or two. So if he comes back next year, he gets one more shot at a title on a really good team and he gets a Duke diploma.

Of course, there is no guarantee Duke wins it all next year as UK will have a loaded team as well and there will be a couple other teams that could pull it off as well. But ultimately, I think he knows that he is a late first rounder (at best) and that will likely be his draft status again next year. So it really doesn't help/hurt him to leave or stay and I think he WANTS to stay at Duke for one more year. Of course, this could all be wishful thinking and he could bounce. But the rumors around Duke are that the plan has been 3 years.

Lol you think his best NBA chance is somewhere else? You think more minutes=better NBA potential? Seems very anti-Cal/anti-KY
I think Marcus needs a team where he can start and play full time. He needs to be able to show what he can do next year. That wont happen next year at UK.

If Allen heads back to Duke what kind of minutes does that leave for Frank Jackson or does he take over the point from Thorton?

As far as Briscoe, could Fox play the 2 and Monk the 3 and you have Briscoe run the point?

I think Marcus needs a team where he can start and play full time. He needs to be able to show what he can do next year. That wont happen next year at UK.

We spend every year ranting and raving about how we put guys in the NBA despite playing 20 minutes, and now Lee needs a team where he can get 30?

The problem with Lee is that he isn't there mentally. He looked like a better player 2 years ago against Michigan than he has at any point this season. He's not much of a shooter. He isn't overly-skilled on the block. His place in the NBA (if there still is one) is going to be rebounding and shot blocking. He can show that in 20 minutes a game.

Marcus has had ample opportunity to show what he can do.

I doubt a different jersey and 10 more minutes a game will improve his hands or free throws. We still have not seen Marcus make a jump shot in 3 years not take more than 3 dribbles at once.

Lee's skill set is energy and jumping ability, everyone already knows that.

Unlike Wiltjer who had plenty of offensive ability, he left so he could showcase his post moves and more open court abilities.

Marcus will leave to be a rebounder, lob guy, put back, defender type - just on a smaller stage.

If Allen heads back to Duke what kind of minutes does that leave for Frank Jackson or does he take over the point from Thorton?

As far as Briscoe, could Fox play the 2 and Monk the 3 and you have Briscoe run the point?

That's the million dollar question. If Allen returns, we have a lot of talent at the guard positions. Tatum is going to start and get 30+ minutes at the SF IMO. so that leaves Thornton, Jackson, Allen, Kennard, and Jones competing for 2 spots. Allen is the definite. I guess Thornton/Jackson will battle for the PG spot and the other one will come off the bench. Thornton will have a year of college experience on Jackson, but it's hard to watch Jackson's videos and imagine him riding the pine the whole time. Of course, mix tapes can be deceiving so we will see.

I have seen Jackson play in person and coached him in football his freshman year. He is extremely good. Great athlete and even better person.

I have seen Jackson play in person and coached him in football his freshman year. He is extremely good. Great athlete and even better person.

Good to hear........that lines up with everything I've heard about him as well. Duke may have a PG controversy on our hands next year. But many argue that Jackson is not a PG, but more of an off guard so I will have to withhold judgement until I see him and Thornton both play next year and be able to compare.

just throwing this out there
i think Hawkins can give up his scholarship and get financial aid because he is a in-state student
i know Marquis Estll did. i think he is Dom's cousin
i know the kid at Uconn did to make room for Drummond

The rumors I'm hearing is that he is leaning towards coming back. He is a different type of kid that enjoys college basketball and has been a die hard Duke fan his whole life. The whispers are that he would really like to play with next year's team and have a chance at another ring. He started the 3 year graduation plan when he enrolled at Duke and I don't think he would've done that if he planned on bouncing after a year or two. So if he comes back next year, he gets one more shot at a title on a really good team and he gets a Duke diploma.

Of course, there is no guarantee Duke wins it all next year as UK will have a loaded team as well and there will be a couple other teams that could pull it off as well. But ultimately, I think he knows that he is a late first rounder (at best) and that will likely be his draft status again next year. So it really doesn't help/hurt him to leave or stay and I think he WANTS to stay at Duke for one more year. Of course, this could all be wishful thinking and he could bounce. But the rumors around Duke are that the plan has been 3 years.

Of course. Duke and UNCheat kids that come back are always a "different type of kid that enjoys college basketball" or the "college life". Funny how those two schools seem to attract kids that would rather stay at college than be paid millions of dollars, huh? Couldn't be that their coaches care more about keeping them around could it?

Of course. Duke and UNCheat kids that come back are always a "different type of kid that enjoys college basketball" or the "college life". Funny how those two schools seem to attract kids that would rather stay at college than be paid millions of dollars, huh? Couldn't be that their coaches care more about keeping them around could it?

*sigh*

That's stupid.

Can't speak for UNC, but for Duke, just as with UK, the top recruits go to the league quickly. Guys like Rivers, Parker, Irving, Okafor, Ingram... the top 5 type talents at Duke tend to go after one year, same as UK.

Then you have the next tier of guys who might stick around longer. Guys like Allen (who was a top 25 recruit) or Jefferson from Duke, or Lee or Poy from UK.

Sometimes there are guys who don't fit that profile, like the twins, who were rather highly rated and still came back. It happens because they might be a little overrated in high school compared to what they can be expected to do in college. Sometimes you have guys who are NOT as highly rated who OVERACHIEVE, like Devin Booker.

Now, I would have to really look at this more deeply, but with just having a rough understanding of UK guys, I think Cal has more guys who either OVER or UNDER perform than K... Duke guys tend to perform about where their high school rankings would indicate. UK guys, I think, are a little more likely to either out perform or under perform according to their rankings. I don't know if this is true, but I think that is the case.

It is rare for a guy who is a top talent and top couple pick to come back. It doesn't happen at most schools in the modern era. It is silly to try to argue that Cal has some radically different approach than K when there are no facts to back that up. Both coaches care about their players, try to help their players succeed, and give the best advice they can for success in the future.

UNC is an entirely different animal, thanks in part to Roy's willingness to play age over ability, and thanks in part to Roy's apparent ability to just crush his guys development:)

Neither twin was projected in the 1st round or they would have been gone. Allen is. WCS came back because he was injured at the time and couldn't work out for NBA teams before the draft. The closest example would be Terrence Jones. There is zero chance though if Allen was at UK, had the season he is having, and was projected were he is, that he would come back. Cal would talk sense into him.

Yes, he is now. The kid has drastically improved his perimeter skills and still where he spends most of his time working on. He has great length and a good shooting form. Gabriel will be one of our best shooters next year. Fox and Monk are also good shooters from the perimeter. Dom has improved his shooting this year and will continue to get better. Also, don't sleep on SKJ's shooting skills either. That kid can shoot as well. If Willis returns, I don't see shooting as being an issue next year. I think we will have 5 or 6 that will shoot over 30% next year and a few that will shoot close to 40% or above. That's just my opinion though. Really don't think it will be issue at all. I've been wrong a time or 2 before in the past though, so you never know.
You do realize that you are the only one on this board that has been wrong about anything, right . jk

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
Neither twin was projected in the 1st round or they would have been gone. Allen is. WCS came back because he was injured at the time and couldn't work out for NBA teams before the draft. The closest example would be Terrence Jones. There is zero chance though if Allen was at UK, had the season he is having, and was projected were he is, that he would come back. Cal would talk sense into him.
Terrence Jones = NBA lockout.

Sure......if that's what you want to think go for it. The poster above asked me what my read is on Allen leaving/staying, so I gave it based on the chatter on the Duke's board. Maybe your right, maybe Allen is dead set on going pro but Coach K will force him back for a third year and Allen will have no say so and be forced to return a 3rd year.

Reactions: Crank_it_loud

DraftExpress has Allen at 30th. That is hardly some amazing, guaranteed spot... in fact, it is literally as borderline 1st around as is possible.

Listen, until you can come up with some great evidence about these Duke players who were looking at being a top draft pick and were forced to come back, and then these Kentucky players who were aching to come back but Cal talked sense into them, your position is biased nonsense. We know very little about any conversations coaches have with players, other than what is released (which is obviously coordinated) so to act otherwise is silly.

I have no idea what Coach K is saying to Grayson Allen. He is not in the same position as any of our OADs, and is not a guy who is a top 15 prospect. Hell, every poster on this board has said Allen will suck in the League. So why on earth should he bolt now, when A) he has a lot to work on, and B) he has a chance to be a leader on a truly special team next year?

For any kid that is borderline this year, I'd strongly consider going if I could get a guaranteed contract. (first round) Next years draft will be WAY stronger. A late first rounder this year could have a better year in college and not make the first round next year. Heck, just the UK and Duke guys alone next year will fill up most of the lottery!

And MSU should be stocked as well...

3 horse race next year...

just throwing this out there
i think Hawkins can give up his scholarship and get financial aid because he is a in-state student
i know Marquis Estll did. i think he is Dom's cousin
i know the kid at Uconn did to make room for Drummond

Dom cannot do this, nor can any other "recruited scholarship" players.

A walk on can receive a scholly later and then rescind without counting against the total, but not a player that came as a scholarship player they will always count whether they go academic or pay their own way.

Estill was a partial qualifier when he arrived and paid his own way that redshirt season.

Reactions: UKGrad93
Sure......if that's what you want to think go for it. The poster above asked me what my read is on Allen leaving/staying, so I gave it based on the chatter on the Duke's board. Maybe your right, maybe Allen is dead set on going pro but Coach K will force him back for a third year and Allen will have no say so and be forced to return a 3rd year.

You can put words into my mouth all you like. Weak sauce.

For any kid that is borderline this year, I'd strongly consider going if I could get a guaranteed contract. (first round) Next years draft will be WAY stronger. A late first rounder this year could have a better year in college and not make the first round next year. Heck, just the UK and Duke guys alone next year will fill up most of the lottery!

And MSU should be stocked as well...

3 horse race next year...

Next year looks like a difficult draft:( But I've also heard a few folks say the TOP is very, very heavy but it thins out after that. I don't know enough about it to really know.

You have a very loose definition of the term "shooter". Seems you've gotten wrapped up in 3 minute highlight videos that show Gabriel making 4-5 3s. He'll be able to make the occasional 3, but he's not someone you'll be able to rely on making the shot, at least not now and likely not next year. He's more 30% from 3 than 40%. His stats are online somewhere if I'm able to find em.

I disagree and I'm not going solely by a 3 min highlight video. I figured someone would say that. Come on, I'm not that naive. I'm not just talking about just 3 pt shots either when I say shooter either. I'm talking mid range game too and he has improved his mid range and 3 pt shooting. He may not be a good 3 pt shooter now but I think he will be by the time he steps on the court at Rupp. I listen to everyone but I trust Cal, if he says he can shoot it, I believe it.

If Allen returns, Duke is the prohibitive favorite IMO. Kansas will likely be in the discussion too based on who leaves early. UK hopefully will be in the mix by March but returning talent of Duke and Kansas trumps freshmen until proven otherwise.

Dom cannot do this, nor can any other "recruited scholarship" players.

A walk on can receive a scholly later and then rescind without counting against the total, but not a player that came as a scholarship player they will always count whether they go academic or pay their own way.

Estill was a partial qualifier when he arrived and paid his own way that redshirt season.

what about the kid at Uconn?
i know you can't go on academic scholarship without counting towards the athletics scholarship
but i think a in-state can go off scholarship and pay his own way

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT