ADVERTISEMENT

Boise State offensive coordinator Bush Hamdan is being targeted as the next offensive coordinator at Kentucky

Faulkner has now turned down Arkansas and Kentucky for OC jobs and MTSU for HC job. Can confirm that also. Faulkner will stay for another 2 years then leave for a P4 HC job. Also don’t say that Kentucky fans don’t care when y’all made another thread just about him.
He also turned down all the NFL HC and OC jobs that opened this year. And, half of a dozen premier league coaching positions. And, had a chance to Caddy for Tiger. The guy gave up an Indy pole position and could have coached in the NBA.

Georgia Tech football is back baby!

Yea. I don't get it. They come over here and talk shit then act schocked they got clapped back. The acc is softer on message boards than they are on defense on the football field.
The last several years, GT has been a bottom feeder in a bottom feeder conference. Now they're clapping back cheering that they didn't finish in last place this year.

Sort of like citing 6 wins against the sec this year as some meaningful measure when 4 were against non bowl teams
I spent a few days in the Atlanta area as a tourist while this past fall. Georgia Tech has a great football history and is a good school. But Tech has a real problem - and throwing money at it isn't going to fix it - the local government in Atlanta has to fix it. Tech needs to get their alumni involved politically. Tech is now located in a bad section of Atlanta - yes its basically downtown - but a bad area, bad traffic around it as well. I don't know how many people remember but not that many years ago Atlanta had a great entertainment venue called "Underground Atlanta" - how many have even heard of it today? The area was allowed to become very unsafe - and it then failed because of that simple fact. People will not go to unsafe places!

Atlanta has become a big modern city - which means it now has a different political group running it who have different political agendas that smaller cities. I can't explain why, but it seems to happen in every big city. It is not an easy task to run huge cities and it doesn't take long for an area to go from ok, to questionable, to try to avoid it. Larger cities have more corruption and its harder to govern larger cities because of so many moving parts and so many opportunities to fail. Georgia Tech is now feeling the brunt of that miscalculation. Hopefully, Atlanta and the area around Tech can make a come back. That is why most SEC schools have a better chance of succeeding - none of them are located in big cities with big city problems. In todays football landscape think about this - how many really good college football teams are located in big cities? Many years ago a lot of football powers were located in big cities - but today not so much. Miami, Southern Cal and UCLA came to mind - but think about it - how are those schools doing now? UCLA's head coach just left to become a college co-ordinator - would that have ever happened before? Do you really think that USC had a tougher schedule than Oklahoma does/did? Riley is having a much harder time in Los Angeles. Co -incidence or not?

Just my opinion - doesn't mean much - but I the Georgia Tech discussion led me to think about this for about 15 minutes - lol!

Go Big Blue!

The state mandated job posting ends today, 2/12, so is an announcement imminent? Of course, the posting thingy can be extended but just checked, no change in ending date is indicated. Need to get the OC in here and working.

Reactions: ganner918
The state mandated job posting ends today, 2/12, so is an announcement imminent? Of course, the posting thingy can be extended but just checked, no change in ending date is indicated. Need to get the OC in here and working.

I listened to ksr this morning since it was alluded they would talk about it. Sounds a done deal with official announcement anytime. They were in heavy spin mode so stoops and Co must at least feel that fans aren't very excited about the hire

I listened to ksr this morning since it was alluded they would talk about it. Sounds a done deal with official announcement anytime. They were in heavy spin mode so stoops and Co must at least feel that fans aren't very excited about the hire
If fans can't take a minute to read the guy's resume and not feel encouraged about the future, they're dumber than I thought.

You are effing insane to believe even the slightly above average UK CFB fan was

1) payed attention to the rumored OC hire this weekend,
2) knew who Hamden is, and
3) was disappointed

Even on this very board of fanatics there is ZERO consensus on some other guy, who is so much better, who should have been hired instead

If fans can't take a minute to read the guy's resume and not feel encouraged about the future, they're dumber than I thought.
I would think at this point with our current head coach having a long track record here that most people are just going to be 'wait and see'. There's no reason to be negative on him specifically yet but there's no reason to think it's going to go well either. We'll just see in the fall.

Not calling you out, but it's kind of a head scratcher as to why you're so down and dismissive of this hire based on the above post and others you've made on the topic. I'd hardly characterize this morning's KSR segment on him as "heavy spin mode." Just some basic biographical stuff and fairly surface analysis.

And, as at least one other poster alluded to, most fans probably just shrug their shoulders at the OC hire. Us internet nutters are another category altogether.

Well, if Drink wanted to keep him ask yourself this question. Is BSU a better job than Mizzou? No. So that makes me think Drink let him walk.

Stoops won't admit this is a downgrade but he did choose Coen over Hamdan back in 2021. Doesn't mean than Hamdan can't/won't be better than Coen but Stoops did choose Coen last time.

I don't know what Drink or CMS were thinking, but he could have left Missouri so he could be the play caller. Drink called plays in 22, Moore in 23 and it was clearly a good move by Drink.

As for the Coen comparison, never was that impressive, Robinson was all but uncoverable and he had a future starting NFL QB and arguably the conference's top back. I don't see him as a downgrade

I don't know what Drink or CMS were thinking, but he could have left Missouri so he could be the play caller. Drink called plays in 22, Moore in 23 and it was clearly a good move by Drink.

As for the Coen comparison, never was that impressive, Robinson was all but uncoverable and he had a future starting NFL QB and arguably the conference's top back. I don't see him as a downgrade
Hamdan went from QB coach at MO to OC/QB coach at Boise, his ama mater. Somehow that's a "step down" and MO "letting him go." Idiots.

Not calling you out, but it's kind of a head scratcher as to why you're so down and dismissive of this hire based on the above post and others you've made on the topic. I'd hardly characterize this morning's KSR segment on him as "heavy spin mode." Just some basic biographical stuff and fairly surface analysis.

And, as at least one other poster alluded to, most fans probably just shrug their shoulders at the OC hire. Us internet nutters are another category altogether.

I think that's because nuance isn't exactly the strong suit of a sports message board. It can both be true that 1) this oc is great and gets great results and 2) the hire itself doesn't provide the same impact of the last hire or two.

In the portal era especially, you have to follow two highly regarded NFL offensive guys with someone that carries weight. This guy just doesn't. That can be ok if he can quickly make up ground with the players and recruits. We'll see.

Contrast that with a guy like Tommy rees would've moved the needle for the 2nd category, but I think ultimately underwhelming in the 1st. I wasn't blown away by his bama scheme or play calls at all.

The spin in talking about was palpable imo. The best one was drew claiming since he was not a big hire, at least he might be here a while. That's quite a reach.

I don't doubt the guy will be at least competent. For the money in guessing we paid, we need him to be really good. We'll just have to see.

Have read that he is a good recruiter. Pointed out a few stars he was able to get at BSU. Seems like he is pretty rounded. Just a matter if we can recruit good enough players at every position and if his stuff works in this semi pro league. I really like the defensive players we signed this year. Excellent number and quality. Offensively I think we hit it with the skill players. Need a great haul in 25 class of some high quality OL to go with everything else.

I read somewhere on here that Hamdan started calling plays for Mizzou near the end of the 22 season.

Hamdan went from QB coach at MO to OC/QB coach at Boise, his ama mater. Somehow that's a "step down" and MO "letting him go." Idiots.
Read my post below.

It was reported that Hamdan began calling plays at Mizzou near the end of the 22 season. Did he choose to leave Mizzou for BSU or did Drink let him walk? We don't know.

Know what you're talking about before calling someone an "idiot."

Read my post below.

It was reported that Hamdan began calling plays at Mizzou near the end of the 22 season. Did he choose to leave Mizzou for BSU or did Drink let him walk? We don't know.

Know what you're talking about before calling someone an "idiot."
I know what I'm talking about. Again, he was a position at MO and left to be an OC AND position coach at Boise. That's a promotion, I don't care what you call it.

Never called you an idiot, sorry if you took my comment that way. Still, why so negative??

Reactions: seccats04
I know what I'm talking about. Again, he was a position at MO and left to be an OC AND position coach at Boise. That's a promotion, I don't care what you call it.

Never called you an idiot, sorry if you took my comment that way. Still, why so negative??
My apologies. I thought you responded to my post by calling me an idiot. I've always enjoyed reading your posts and know you're a die hard like me so we're All Blue together.

I know he was listed as a position coach but I recently read that he started calling plays for Drink at the end of the 22 season. Now, whether Drink let him walk or Hamdan chose to leave, we'll never know.

And I'm not convinced he would be a downgrade from Coen. Coen was decent but had a lot of head scratching games too so I'm willing to give this guy a chance. My point was I wonder if Stoops thinks he'll be a downgrade because he chose Coen the last two times over him?

My apologies. I thought you responded to my post by calling me an idiot. I've always enjoyed reading your posts and know you're a die hard like me so we're All Blue together.

I know he was listed as a position coach but I recently read that he started calling plays for Drink at the end of the 22 season. Now, whether Drink let him walk or Hamdan chose to leave, we'll never know.

And I'm not convinced he would be a downgrade from Coen. Coen was decent but had a lot of head scratching games too so I'm willing to give this guy a chance. My point was I wonder if Stoops thinks he'll be a downgrade because he chose Coen the last two times over him?
We're good brother!

Think Hamdan may be a couple of years younger than Coen, maybe Stoops felt prior he needed more seasoning. Regardless, Hamdan appears to be somebody Stoops has followed over the last few years.

Reactions: seccats04
I think that's because nuance isn't exactly the strong suit of a sports message board. It can both be true that 1) this oc is great and gets great results and 2) the hire itself doesn't provide the same impact of the last hire or two.

In the portal era especially, you have to follow two highly regarded NFL offensive guys with someone that carries weight. This guy just doesn't. That can be ok if he can quickly make up ground with the players and recruits. We'll see.

Contrast that with a guy like Tommy rees would've moved the needle for the 2nd category, but I think ultimately underwhelming in the 1st. I wasn't blown away by his bama scheme or play calls at all.

The spin in talking about was palpable imo. The best one was drew claiming since he was not a big hire, at least he might be here a while. That's quite a reach.

I don't doubt the guy will be at least competent. For the money in guessing we paid, we need him to be really good. We'll just have to see.
Fair enough. Scang was a disaster as an OC and poorly suited for the college game, no matter how respected he might be in NFL circles. Liam Part Deux was also just OK results-wise, but apparently quite good on recruiting, at least with the final pitch.

I'm upbeat on Hamdan. Good offensive results at BSU and apparently also a good recruiter, including in the portal. As with most things, we won't know for sure till fall.

Hamdan ran an offense that put up 6000 yards almost equally divided between pass and rush.
1700 passing yards for one qb, the other 1300 divided up amongst others due to injuries.

Reputation as a good recruiter. Has and does coach quarterbacks.

I knew nothing about Coen before he came. He did great his first year, not so great his second go around.

I'm willing to wait and see what Hamden or any other OC can bring and hope they stick around.

You are effing insane to believe even the slightly above average UK CFB fan was

1) payed attention to the rumored OC hire this weekend,
2) knew who Hamden is, andrence in should have been and could have been...
3) was disappointed

Even on this very board of fanatics there is ZERO consensus on some other guy, who is so much better, who should have been hired instead

There is a big difference in should have been and could have been... Maybe this is ht eone Stoops had in mind from the beginning and had no reason to contact anyone else... No one knows who or how many or if Stoops contacted any coach...
I am sure there is some truth in there some place... Stoops is in charge and it's his butt if things don't work out...
I thing Butch wanted to stay in Georgia and wait on the position to open up at UGA and I don't blame him... I also think Stoops was smart enough to know this and avoided another one year OC Malay... What if Buster did not want the job???
I will give Stoops the benefit of the doubt on this instead of fans who know nothing about this deal...

GBB

I would think at this point with our current head coach having a long track record here that most people are just going to be 'wait and see'. There's no reason to be negative on him specifically yet but there's no reason to think it's going to go well either. We'll just see in the fall.
There are reasons for optimism. He has had success. That is a tangible reason to think it going to go well. Also, the word that Boise is working hard to keep him is a reason. Realizing that no one wants to lose an OC just before spring practice, the incentive to throw more money at an OC whom you don’t have faith would be far less. Reasons.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
One thing from watching Boise , they usually snap the ball with about 15 seconds on the play clock. Our number of plays is def going to increase next season

If we get first downs. If we don't, won't make much difference. All those third down drops last year were killers. We operated too slow for sure but drops were the main reason for the low snaps

One thing from watching Boise , they usually snap the ball with about 15 seconds on the play clock. Our number of plays is def going to increase next season
Hard not to increase from fewest in CFB.

I think it's a recruiting negative against UK - you just don't get as many chances to actually play vs. standing around, particularly non-starters.

Faulkner has now turned down Arkansas and Kentucky for OC jobs and MTSU for HC job. Can confirm that also. Faulkner will stay for another 2 years then leave for a P4 HC job. Also don’t say that Kentucky fans don’t care when y’all made another thread just about him.
Yeah the ACC is so awesome that your undefeated conference champion didn't make the playoffs. The ACC is garbage.

As a Georgia Tech fan it’s hilarious that y’all thought y’all had a chance with Faulkner. 🤣🤣 GT left the SEC over 50 years ago and still has more than double the sec chips Kentucky has. 😂
Faulkner seemingly can coach well. As for you and Atlanta, good luck in that Concrete Jungle I used to pass through toward Florida. Anymore, I’ve discovered roads I didn’t know existed to bypass that city and foggy Chattanooga.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
So I've read a lot of comments on Reddit from both Boise and Mizzou fans in regards to him and this is what I've been able to deduce.

Boise fans absolutely do not want to lose him, and the reasoning behind it is one that would appeal to diehard internet fans. Apparently their offense looked rather dreadful for about half the season. Why that is, maybe hamstrung due to being a young OC, no idea. But he adjusted the offense to work with the talent they have and it became quite explosive. He was touted by many of them as a really good recruiter and landed the highest ranked recruiting class in MW history, being responsible for a lot of the big names himself. Recruit rankings and all that is 100% relative, but I'd imagine it's not exactly the easiest thing to convince 2 former 5 stars to play football in Idaho, and he's attributed to both of those recruitments.

He did in fact take over playcalling at the end of 2022 at Mizzou, and from what I've read, they actually wanted him back and were bummed when he left. Per them, their offense really improved with him calling shots. Again, no idea, just going off what I've read on Reddit which is a VERY large pool of people from varying fanbases.

Boise fans are pretty upset and expect their team to implode, even going so far as to say they should can their coach and start fresh. That's how much of an impact Hamdan made, apparently.

Arguing that him going to Boise 'makes no sense' is just absolutely absurd. 1.) Guaranteed OC position to call plays. He did not have that at Mizzou to my understanding. 2.) It's his alma mater. Many people on here will actively advocate for players and such to return to UK with zero reasoning beyond that's where they went to school. Sorry but UK isn't that special to where that only happens here. He played QB there and got to go back and coach there. If the cards fell in a different way, could end up being the HC at his alma mater. He had zero reason to stay at Mizzou.

I don't know if he'll be good or not, but he checks the boxes of what UK wants. Adaptability, QB coaching experience, balanced playcalling rooted in establishing the run, multi look in that capacitiy, faster tempo. There's no way of knowing who will work out and who will not, but foundationally he's there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT