ADVERTISEMENT

Boeheim's comments on the Big 10

SemperFiCat

All-American
Mar 2, 2009
Central Indy
"At the end of the day, you play for the [NCAA] tournament," Boeheim said Friday at his team's media day. "You can say what you want about the Big Ten. They sucked in the tournament. To me, that's what they did. All of their wins were in their league. If you can't play in the [NCAA] tournament, then you're not good."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...urney-true-measure-success-takes-shot-big-ten

Looks like Jim is riding some coattails to try to stay relevant. Cause you know, the only reason Cuse didn't even get into the tournament is because the ACC is so superior. Not knocking his premise that the Big 10 typically underperforms in the NCAAT. But, this comes off as a toddler screaming for attention.

I mean, he's not wrong. That's kind of what the Big10 has been recently.

I use to hate Jim B, but he's now fully transformed into the crotchety old man who seems to not give a shit who he offends. I've seen him have some takes that I agree with. Kind of refreshing to see. College basketball coaches are the ultimate salesmen of any sport, and you almost can never believe what they say (I never can figure out why).. so it's nice to see a coach like Jim B just not give a shit.

Well. He is right. B1G sucks. Hell we had Meeechigan fans trolling on social media the other night. They have a grand total of ONE title and it was when Bush Sr was President and only TWO conference titles. B1G basketball is a joke.
Michigan, IU, Purdue, Mich St all think they are on an elite level. IU was for about 30 years while Knight was there and that is it. Michigan has done very little and Purdue has done even less. Then you throw in Mich St who has been pretty successful under Izzo of getting to the tournament and even the final four but not much luck winning it all. They have been to 8 Final Fours with Izzo and only won it all once and that was 22 seasons ago.

Reactions: Ed323232
Since Syracuse joined the ACC, Boeheim has been 183-117. Maybe he should worry about his own team's success before bashing another conference. He has been trending in the wrong direction for a few years now, going 16-17 last year and 9-11 in conference.

Just sounds like a grumpy old man at this point.

I grew up in Syracuse so I love the guy. Sometimes its OK to realize you're a team that's only gonna have a shot every 10-20 years. He's a hilarious interview, and he absolutely staunchly defends his players.

He's not wrong at all here.

UK fan that loved Syracuse and Boeheim?

Sure.

He’s a pos and should have been fired years ago. His ego doesn’t come close to his real position on the scene. If Syracuse have a damn about winning they’d have fired him a long time ago. And his nose breathing is just gross and disgusting.

This guy essentially sucked for decades and dared his institution to fire him. Sacless Syracuse couldn't do it. And he’s gonna laugh for decades over it.

Let’s not even get into the pedophile coverup ESPN swept under the rug for him.

The crazy one in the Big Ten for me is Michigan. They have been in the championship game 7 times (i know 2 of them were vacated), only winning once. The last 7 times they have been to the Final Four, they have won. Only Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UNC and UCLA have more appearances.

He’s a pos and should have been fired years ago. His ego doesn’t come close to his real position on the scene. If Syracuse have a damn about winning they’d have fired him a long time ago. And his nose breathing is just gross and disgusting.

This guy essentially sucked for decades and dared his institution to fire him. Sacless Syracuse couldn't do it. And he’s gonna laugh for decades over it.

Let’s not even get into the pedophile coverup ESPN swept under the rug for him.
Why hasn't anyone told me it's gross and disgusting to breathe through my nose?

1. Bowheim killed a guy.
2. Syracuse has been irrelevant during the season for 10 years now. Sure, they made a couple Cinderella NCAA tournament runs because teams went ice cold against the zone.
3. When Boeheim made his 2 kids the 2 main guys on the team, that should have been the end for him, they just aren’t elite players.
4. Syracuse has been playing way too many white guys the past few years.

Reactions: RunninRichie
The reason Big Ten teams don't do well in the NCAAT is because the morons running it encourage a very old-school style of play reminiscent of the Big East back when it was playing slow, ugly, uber-physical basketball, not unlike NBA teams like Detroit in its heyday.

The league encourages big, heavy, old-school big men like Kofi Cockburn who bang each other around while perimeter defenders grab, hold, hand-check, etc.

Once they get to the NCAAT, none of them seem to adjust well to normal officiating.

I mean, he's not wrong. That's kind of what the Big10 has been recently.

I use to hate Jim B, but he's now fully transformed into the crotchety old man who seems to not give a shit who he offends. I've seen him have some takes that I agree with. Kind of refreshing to see. College basketball coaches are the ultimate salesmen of any sport, and you almost can never believe what they say (I never can figure out why).. so it's nice to see a coach like Jim B just not give a shit.
Agree.

Hate the Cuse and Boeheim but he's 100% correct on the Big 10. They get all this hype and then lay eggs in Postseason and then the media is rinse/repeat the following year. "This Conference is so tough that Warriors wouldn't win it...." all the hype and nonsense.

Reactions: Fox2monk and bfawns
Hate the Cuse and Boeheim but he's 100% correct on the Big 10. They get all this hype and then lay eggs in Postseason and then the media is rinse/repeat the following year. "This Conference is so tough that Warriors wouldn't win it...." all the hype and nonsense.
Just seems odd he is picking on a conference where his own team would more than likely finish in the bottom half. Michigan, Purdue, Wisconsin Indiana, Iowa, OSU, Illinois have all made deeper tourney runs than Cuse lately (last year with 4 making it to the sweet 16). Somebody tell Jim you have to be in the tourney to actually have success in the field of 64/68.

He might have the right message, but he isn't the right messenger.

Just seems odd he is picking on a conference where his own team would more than likely finish in the bottom half. Michigan, Purdue, Wisconsin Indiana, Iowa, OSU, Illinois have all made deeper tourney runs than Cuse lately (last year with 4 making it to the sweet 16). Somebody tell Jim you have to be in the tourney to actually have success in the field of 64/68.

Sadly, his teams with awful records have recently outplayed their seeding by simply daring teams to beat them making shots. He could've had his wife out there with "Buddy" and out of shape Joe Girard and beat some of these teams simply by playing zone. It's sad. But it's also the state of the game for many programs. They can't shoot and don't understand if you can't shoot, run it up the court to beat the zone.

Crusty old guys speaking their mind is refreshing. Even if it's from someone whose program I can't stand. Not liking the person delivering the message doesn't make what he's saying incorrect. And in case of why he's stating it, sure there was a question about conference strength or how many teams got in last year, etc....

As for the Big 10....I'm still on my hatred level for them. Had a cordial disagreement with a few fans here on their take of some teams in that conference and at end of day we split the difference. They were right Iowa would make the tournament and was good due to running numbers, then I was proven right by eye test when they flamed out against Richmond in the 1st Round. Michigan State actually played a good game for that mid team Izzo had last year against Duke--still lost by 9. Michigan beating Tennessee was a positive for me....but then they bit it in a bad outing. Illinois has been a Postseason mess the past 2 yrs. Wisconsin is a joke. Ohio State plays Stall Ball and Holtmann hates scoring. Yet he keeps getting recruits to buy his BS and when they transfer out, a new crop falls for same line. Until he changes, nothing will change. He's arguably the most overrated coach of the "next gen" guys they keep hyping. Look at his record at Butler/Ohio State in terms of not winning anything of relevance or performing when needed.

So admittedly on this subject I have a bias where I'd side with Boeheim.

What 4 Big 10 teams made the Sweet 16 last year?

Purdue sets the standard as underachievers. When the conferences leader in titles and wins struggles in the tournament, it is not good for the conference. Not many FFs for that school despite regular season success. UK is the opppsite for the SEC. Best regular season results backed up by March success. UK has done the SEC right.

Last edited:
Meh......Winning the title doesn't equal best conference. SEC is hands down, easily the best conference in CFB----It aint close. But if somehow Clemson were to win it, does that make the ACC better, or equal to the SEC over the years? I mean after all that would give the ACC their 3rd title, and 5th title game appearance... SEC has 5.

Easy answer----NO.

Had Gonzaga won the title in either year, does that make the WCC the best conference?

Ummmmm, no. Same had UNC won the title last year....Or had UCLA won it the year before...

Big10 hasn't won the title since 2000. But as Jim said, "If you can't play in the NCAAT, then you are no good...."----I guess, but..........Since 2000, the Big 10 has had 6 different teams play for the national title....had 2 or more teams in the FF on 3 occasions...Have had at least one team in the FF in 14 of the past 23 FF's....I'd say that is "playing"-----right?

Honest question-----is a conference considered good if one or two maybe three teams perform well, win a title-----Or is a conference better/good if they constantly have multiple teams getting deep in the NCAAT?

I do think the B10 gets a ton of love thats not always deserving. But to much emphasis is put on winning the title, opposed to having multiple teams getting to the FF, National title game, etc...

So what is more impressive-----having a team win the title,while the rest of your conference shits the bed, or..............Having 4/5 teams getting deep into the tourney?

Reactions: yoshukai
We just hate Syracuse because they can hold more fans. That’s the truth.
Do they fill the seats though? Looked it up.

Average attendance in 2021

1. Syracuse 21,000
2. UK 20, 160-----Are there really almost 4,000 empties?
3. UNC---20, 103
4. TN----18,890
5. Creighton----17, 634-----Wow----Creighton?
6. Wisky----16.192
7. Louisville---16,657----Damn thats also a lot of empties...
8. Kansas---16, 388
9. Indiana--16, 307
10. Nebraska---15, 299-----What?

Reactions: yoshukai
Meh......Winning the title doesn't equal best conference. SEC is hands down, easily the best conference in CFB----It aint close. But if somehow Clemson were to win it, does that make the ACC better, or equal to the SEC over the years? I mean after all that would give the ACC their 3rd title, and 5th title game appearance... SEC has 5.

Easy answer----NO.

Had Gonzaga won the title in either year, does that make the WCC the best conference?

Ummmmm, no. Same had UNC won the title last year....Or had UCLA won it the year before...

Big10 hasn't won the title since 2000. But as Jim said, "If you can't play in the NCAAT, then you are no good...."----I guess, but..........Since 2000, the Big 10 has had 6 different teams play for the national title....had 2 or more teams in the FF on 3 occasions...Have had at least one team in the FF in 14 of the past 23 FF's....I'd say that is "playing"-----right?

Honest question-----is a conference considered good if one or two maybe three teams perform well, win a title-----Or is a conference better/good if they constantly have multiple teams getting deep in the NCAAT?

I do think the B10 gets a ton of love thats not always deserving. But to much emphasis is put on winning the title, opposed to having multiple teams getting to the FF, National title game, etc...

So what is more impressive-----having a team win the title,while the rest of your conference shits the bed, or..............Having 4/5 teams getting deep into the tourney?
Things to think about. I just want to say, for a rival poster , you are top notch.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT