ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas Punting the Big 12, Self with some Gamesmanship?

Cats192

All-American
Apr 22, 2011

I think Self knows theye're in for a tough Big 12 tournament without HD. Rather than trying and losing, he' sitting his other star player. He's hoping the committee gives them a pass.

Also, he's saying HD will be ready for the NCAAT. I'm not sure I buy it. Part of me thinks Self is making moves trying to save Kansas seed.

If Self finds out Dickinson and McCullar are seriously hampered for the NCAA tournament look for another “heart issue” that lets him to sit out the games as he makes an assistant take the fall.

Those two average about half the points and rebounds for the entire team. And there is literally not another center on the roster.

Last edited:
The problem is if they lose 1st Rd big 12 and another Big 12 team wins a few games because of it. It could knock someone out who is more deserving. HD is hurt I'm sure.

Reactions: Fox2monk
It'S A Damn Shame Oliver Anthony GIF - It'S A Damn Shame Oliver Anthony Smh GIFs

I think Self knows theye're in for a tough Big 12 tournament without HD. Rather than trying and losing, he' sitting his other star player. He's hoping the committee gives them a pass.

Also, he's saying HD will be ready for the NCAAT. I'm not sure I buy it. Part of me thinks Self is making moves trying to save Kansas seed.
To be fair, McCullar has been hobbled w a knee injury for the last 4-6 weeks and has missed multiple games. Hasn’t been 100% for awhile. Think he is trying to get both as healthy as possible before the big dance

Trying to let the committee know they weren’t at full strength during their losses. He’s trying to get the committee to overlook them and give them a 2 seed!

I don't know if this plan will (or should) work. OK, so let's say they lose the opening game of the B12 tournament and the SC says "ok, we won't count this loss"..

But it ain't counting as a win either.. and teams like UK and Creighton and Duke and Auburn could all actually win a few games.

So fine, Kansas is essentially not playing anymore, but in the meantime other teams around them are picking up wins. Those have to count.

I think this is more about not risking further injury than anything. Self is going to punt the B12 tournament, not so much to get extra sympathy, but to just prep for the NCAAT.

I don't know if this plan will (or should) work. OK, so let's say they lose the opening game of the B12 tournament and the SC says "ok, we won't count this loss"..

But it ain't counting as a win either.. and teams like UK and Creighton and Duke and Auburn could all actually win a few games.

So fine, Kansas is essentially not playing anymore, but in the meantime other teams around them are picking up wins. Those have to count.

I think this is more about not risking further injury than anything. Self is going to punt the B12 tournament, not so much to get extra sympathy, but to just prep for the NCAAT.

It's 100% meaningless to them.

The ncaa is all that matters to Kansas. Same with UK.

It's 100% meaningless to them.

The ncaa is all that matters to Kansas. Same with UK.

Although, on the flipside, if he rattles off a win or two without his two best players.. he could make a bunch of statements on how much better they could have looked.

He is still one of college basketballs ACTUAL sleazy coaches. Not the ones they THINK are sleazy, because a player couldn't procure his SAT scores and that was somehow on the coach.

I’m sure they know they have little chance to win and there isn’t a need to further injure them because they wouldn’t be ready.

He don't have to play games. Kansas will always get the benefit of the doubt from the NCAA or they would have received the death penalty on more than 1 occasion.

He don't have to play games. Kansas will always get the benefit of the doubt from the NCAA or they would have received the death penalty on more than 1 occasion.
Well, and moreso than that:

If HD isn't certain to play the 1st weekend of the NCAA Tournament, they're going to get penalized for that. They've dropped teams in the past for significant injuries late in the season.

I think he's fudging when he says HD and KM will be ready next week. I think and hope the committee will have some skepticism.

I’d place a Longshot on BYU or Iowa State if I was trying to maximize my bet of someone who could theoretically win.
K-State is worth the gamble at +30000, Tang is playing for his legacy (and perhaps future). He can't go dancing with the previous coaches players and then get shut out with his. And he's only going dancing if the wins the Big12 tourney.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT