ADVERTISEMENT

Bobby Hurley

Wonky

Junior
Jan 16, 2021
Reading the thread about tomorrow’s officials got me thinking about the rooferee. I fell into a YouTube hole of his most crooked calls and stumbled upon this video of him ejecting Bobby Hurley a few years ago. I remembered this moment, but hadn’t realized it was Higgins that did it. Here’s the video:

Rooferee ejects Bobby Hurley

Now… I hated him. But Bobby Hurley. Tough, fearless competitor. Coached by two hall of famers (his own dad being one). Deadly in transition. Jason Williams before Jason Williams. Made everyone around him better. Made Laettner look like Larry Bird. Two time NCAA champ. Knows the mindset (and talent) that it takes to win it.

It’s clear watching Hurley that Higgins had been under his skin early and often. He called the SOB out for what he is, gets tossed, and walks off the court crowing like a rooster because he KNOWS Higgins is bullshit and so does the whole building. I loved the cheer he got. Hurley is no bullshit. He’s a little dude that doesn’t have short man’s syndrome. He’s confident. I seriously wonder what a guy like Hurley could do at a school with the resources of UK. One thing’s for damned sure… we wouldn’t have to worry about X’s and O’s, legit confidence, or mental toughness of the players.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
Reading the thread about tomorrow’s officials got me thinking about the rooferee. I fell into a YouTube hole of his most crooked calls and stumbled upon this video of him ejecting Bobby Hurley a few years ago. I remembered this moment, but hadn’t realized it was Higgins that did it. Here’s the video:

Now… I hated him. But Bobby Hurley. Tough, fearless competitor. Coached by two hall of famers (his own dad being one). Deadly in transition. Jason Williams before Jason Williams. Made everyone around him better. Made Laettner look like Larry Bird. Two time NCAA champ. Knows the mindset (and talent) that it takes to win it.

It’s clear watching Hurley that Higgins had been under his skin early and often. He called the SOB out for what he is, gets tossed, and walks off the court crowing like a rooster because he KNOWS Higgins is bullshit and so does the whole building. I loved the cheer he got. Hurley is no bullshit. He’s a little dude that doesn’t have short man’s syndrome. He’s confident. I seriously wonder what a guy like Hurley could do at a school with the resources of UK. One thing’s for damned sure… we wouldn’t have to worry about X’s and O’s, legit confidence, or mental toughness of the players.
Say NO TO DRUGS!!! Hurley from UCONN maybe

Say NO TO DRUGS!!! Hurley from UCONN maybe

Bro, Dan Hurley wasn’t half the player Bobby was… and that matters to me personally. Bobby has been in championship situations and delivered.

Rather than argue with you, I will simply state this, and hope everyone on the board sees it:

IF… *IF* Duke wises up and cans Scheyer and hires Hurley, he will be in an FF and competing for titles in short order.

Bro, Dan Hurley wasn’t half the player Bobby was… and that matters to me personally. Bobby has been in championship situations and delivered.

Rather than argue with you, I will simply state this, and hope everyone on the board sees it:

IF… *IF* Duke wises up and cans Scheyer and hires Hurley, he will be in an FF and competing for titles in short order.
Kentucky will never hire a player from DOOK……

What about their respective coaching careers makes you think Bobby is a better coach than Dan? And what makes you think Duke needs to "wise up" with Scheyer? He's done a pretty good job this year in his first year as a head coach.

What about their respective coaching careers makes you think Bobby is a better coach than Dan? And what makes you think Duke needs to "wise up" with Scheyer? He's done a pretty good job this year in his first year as a head coach.

Nothing, actually. I think Dan is a good coach, and I think Bobby is a good coach too. They both learned from their dad. But Bobby did have the added benefit of spending 4 years playing for one of the greatest NCAA coaches ever… think of him what you will. That does make him a little more appealing than his brother TO ME PERSONALLY.

As far as Schyer, that is also simply a matter of opinion. He’ll always have talent because of the Nike funnel, but He just strikes me as a pretty dry guy. I know he was a champ as a player too, so maybe he’ll prove me wrong. I mean Tony Bennett is dry af and he has a title. So time will tell I guess.

Hurley’s team gagged away a 14 point lead last night. I’ve watched a bunch of ASU this year. The Sun Devils offense is described as “5 guys going their own thing at once.” Lots of iso. They’re great in transition, but their half court game is jackin’ step-back 3s and fall away mid range jumpers.

Bobby Hurley has never won an NCAA Tournament game that wasn’t in the First Four. I will pass for now.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Hurley’s team gagged away a 14 point lead last night. I’ve watched a bunch of ASU this year. The Sun Devils offense is described as “5 guys going their own thing at once.” Lots of iso. They’re great in transition, but their half court game is jackin’ step-back 3s and fall away mid range jumpers.

Bobby Hurley has never won an NCAA Tournament game that wasn’t in the First Four. I will pass for now.

With respect, your description of their offense sounds a lot like ours for much of the season. I mean we shot 25% in the second half last night. That isn’t me saying “fire Cal and hire Bobby Hurley” lol. Folks goin’ crazy in this thread. Give Hurley the reigns at a blue blood and see what he does, that’s all. The greatest moments of this dude’s entire life (other than the births of his children, I’m sure) happened during the NCAA tournament and he has said as much. If you think that’s a small thing, I guess we’ll just have to disagree.

X’ s and O’s? The guys never won a tournament game and in 8 years at ASU, he has a losing conference record. I’m not sure what you’re seeing.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
Yeah i don’t know anyone who’s watched ASU over the last 8 years and thought “Hurley is a superior Xs and Os coach.”

Very good college player though…

Reactions: CrimsonCats
Yeah i don’t know anyone who’s watched ASU over the last 8 years and thought “Hurley is a superior Xs and Os coach.”

Very good college player though…

I just think he doesn’t have dudes. Plain and simple.

I look for Bobby Hurley to replace Scheyer AND Stackhouse to replace Hubert Davis at unCHEAT after next season.

Also hope both hires fail miserably.

I just think he doesn’t have dudes. Plain and simple.
If he doesn’t have dudes then that’s on him. You should be able to be a consistent tournament team with the players that UCLA and Arizona don’t take out west.

Well, then let's not fool around. When Calipari retires, we hire LeBron James as head coach. Better player, more championships. Steph Curry, sue Bird, Derek Jeter his assistants.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
I like his spunk and fire in that video. I would say he was calm compared to how I would have reacted.

Why officials don't have to sit through a post-game press conference is beyond me. They can call whatever they want and not have to be held accountable.

Not that I have strong feelings on either of them and their ability to coach... I do sometimes prefer the guy that DIDN'T play to be the better coach. Most of your great coaches never saw the floor/field.

Now that might not apply to the Hurley brothers.. but I also don't think Hurley being the better player makes him any better for for being a coach.

Ya know, I’ve never heard what the reason is but , it doesn’t seem like Hurley is accepted as Duke “family “ like other past dukies. I wonder if there’s some kind of disconnect between Bobby Hurley and coach K .

Reactions: *CatinIL*
Ya know, I’ve never heard what the reason is but , it doesn’t seem like Hurley is accepted as Duke “family “ like other past dukies. I wonder if there’s some kind of disconnect between Bobby Hurley and coach K .
It surprised me that he didn't replace Coach Kyfhvkrfhrhtui...

Maybe I’m wrong but , I don’t think he was ever hired as an assistant by coach K was he ? I don’t think he’s ever been a member of coach k’s staff .
Not that I know of. I just figured that Duke would take him since he has head coaching experience, and he's from the Duke family.

Not that I know of. I just figured that Duke would take him since he has head coaching experience, and he's from the Duke family.
Yeah . Makes me wonder if coach k considers him a part of the “Duke family “ . Maybe Hurley forgot to bow and kiss his ring when he approached the almighty K ! lol

Reactions: *CatinIL*

uhhhh, you should know that the folks down at Arizona State realize he can't coach any of those things...

"Do you overlook the reality that the former point guard and coach’s son wouldn’t recognize X’s and O’s if they were at the end of a love letter? Or the fact that his squads can never seem to shoot? Or the risk that the guy gets so intense at times it looks like he’s going to have an aneurysm screaming about a foul call with 12 minutes to go in the first half of a non-conference game against East Middle North Central State University in November?"

5 of his 7 recruiting classes have been top 30, including the 14th best class in 2018 and the 8th best class in 2020. He’s had better talent than what his results have been.

Good point! I really don't get this "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence" stuff when the grass is crabgrass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT