ADVERTISEMENT

BIG Week Ahead....

sluggercatfan

All-American
Aug 17, 2004
Eku.. Otis for week games and series at Vandy for weekend...would absolutely be HUGE for ranking and seeding if they could go 4-1 with wins eku..Otis and win the weekend series, but with our week day pitching being so weak I could see us beating eku, probably losing badly to Otis because they have some potent bats and hopefully winning the series at Vandy would be awesome....GOCATS!!!

It is going to be interesting to see what Henderson does this week. There are a whole lot of big time games. EKU is a pride game that doesn't matter much, but it hurts us because we cannot afford to lose it. We also cannot afford to use a lot of pitchers in this game. Pop needs to come into this game and be good and our bats need to get him a big lead and early.

After that you have to wonder... do you go to Logue for the Louisville game? He is the only other guy on our roster that has a start and that is what I imagine Henderson will do. Especially since Logue is a lefty and Henderson will probably like those matchups. However, does Logue really give us the best chance to beat the 4th ranked team in the nation? The concern there is that Logue hasn't even pitched since March 30th and he has only gone over 3 innings once this year in 8 appearances. So, if not Logue what does Henderson do?

Hendo has leaned heavily on both Lewis and Strecker in the weekend. Strecker has appeared 6 times for 9.2 innings, Lewis 3 times for 7.1 innings and Salow 2 times for 2.2 innings. No other pitcher, other than the closer Hjelle, has pitched multiple innings in the SEC. So, you have to imagine that Henderson will not want to start either of those guys knowing he may very well have to use them this weekend against the No. 2 team in the country. So then where does he turn? Salow started in two games last year, but has not worked over 3 innings but once this year. However, he is pitching well this year and is a lefty. So, he is a candidate. After that the candidates get slim. Possibly Dwyer, but he struggled against Tennessee.

After looking at this... could you imagine how bad we would be this year if Cody and Beggs hadn't returned? Holy hell!

Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
Yep that does help. So does that will see Logue against Louisville? Thoughts?

Would think so. Throw your lefties and see if they can get the ball to Lewis in the 7th...a little lefty for VT did pretty well against UL in a game I saw a week or 2 ago.

They could committee the lefties...don't know them enough to know their arm angles, but if Logue/Dwyer/Salow are different enough that would be a nice strategy...get 6-9 outs a piece from those guys...

Louisville was 2-2 last week and dropped from 4th to 9th. However, they are still an outstanding baseball team. If you don't want to read any further then the synopsis is this: Louisville, before this past weekend had the 3rd best team batting average in the country and the lowest team ERA in the country. That may be enough to tell you all you need to know, but here is some more detail:

If I am not mistaken Kentucky will face Kade McClure, who is a 6'7 sophomore righty. McClure has thrown 35 innings in 8 appearances and has a 2.31 ERA. He isn't exactly a strikeout king, but hitters are only hitting .130 against the guy. Runs will without a doubt be at a premium against this guy. Unfortunately, getting to the bullpen is not something that will really be of much help for Kentucky. The Cardinals have a team ERA of 2.91. It wouldn't surprise me for Kentucky to see Sam Bordner work at least an inning. The 6'6 freshman righty has appeared in 8 games and has a 1.98 ERA. If the game is close in the 9th then UK will face Zack Burdi, which should be a familiar name. The junior 6'3 righty closer has been phenomenal in his career as a Cardinal earning All American honors last year. This year his era is 2.77 in 13 appearances and 13 innings. Hitters are only hitting .122 against him. So, UK will have to take advantage of every mistake and score runs when possible, because the mistakes and opportunities will be few and far between.

Hitting for the Cardinals... well... it's freaking good too. Kentucky is hitting a solid .292 as a team while Louisville is hitting an outstanding .327. As I said, that's a top 5 batting average. Louisville is an excellent hitting team and they hit for extra base hits quite frequently. This year they have 77 doubles and 13 triples (compare to UK having 58 and 7). UK's smaller field may help us in this department and take away some of their extra base hits. They also hit the home run pretty well. They have 29 on the season (UK has 30), so UK definitely needs to keep the ball low in the zone. They aren't afraid to play small ball and will sac bunt pretty frequently if they need to, doing so 56 times this year.

I mean... what can you say about them... they are an excellent team. Well rounded. They play solid defense, they hit better than almost anyone in the country and they pitcher better than anyone in the country. Makes me want to puke. [sick]

We have two midweek games this week, Western being tomorrow. I believe we'll have a Johnny-All Staff in either the Western or UK game. McClure worked two innings Friday against FSU and threw gas all over the fire walking people down in Tallahassee, ultimately we got tagged for a Grand Slam as a result.

Bordner starting one of the two games is a good bet, and I'd think McClure's spot work in long relief Friday was probably due to the missed midweek start due to the rainout last week.

Did anyone happen to catch Gary Hendersons show tonight? There was suppose to be an update on the new stadium.

Would everyone agree going 2 and 2 would be a sucessful week ? Any way that scenario plays out would be OK. A 3 and 1 week would be bliss !!

Louisville was 2-2 last week and dropped from 4th to 9th. However, they are still an outstanding baseball team. If you don't want to read any further then the synopsis is this: Louisville, before this past weekend had the 3rd best team batting average in the country and the lowest team ERA in the country. That may be enough to tell you all you need to know, but here is some more detail:

If I am not mistaken Kentucky will face Kade McClure, who is a 6'7 sophomore righty. McClure has thrown 35 innings in 8 appearances and has a 2.31 ERA. He isn't exactly a strikeout king, but hitters are only hitting .130 against the guy. Runs will without a doubt be at a premium against this guy. Unfortunately, getting to the bullpen is not something that will really be of much help for Kentucky. The Cardinals have a team ERA of 2.91. It wouldn't surprise me for Kentucky to see Sam Bordner work at least an inning. The 6'6 freshman righty has appeared in 8 games and has a 1.98 ERA. If the game is close in the 9th then UK will face Zack Burdi, which should be a familiar name. The junior 6'3 righty closer has been phenomenal in his career as a Cardinal earning All American honors last year. This year his era is 2.77 in 13 appearances and 13 innings. Hitters are only hitting .122 against him. So, UK will have to take advantage of every mistake and score runs when possible, because the mistakes and opportunities will be few and far between.

Hitting for the Cardinals... well... it's freaking good too. Kentucky is hitting a solid .292 as a team while Louisville is hitting an outstanding .327. As I said, that's a top 5 batting average. Louisville is an excellent hitting team and they hit for extra base hits quite frequently. This year they have 77 doubles and 13 triples (compare to UK having 58 and 7). UK's smaller field may help us in this department and take away some of their extra base hits. They also hit the home run pretty well. They have 29 on the season (UK has 30), so UK definitely needs to keep the ball low in the zone. They aren't afraid to play small ball and will sac bunt pretty frequently if they need to, doing so 56 times this year.

I mean... what can you say about them... they are an excellent team. Well rounded. They play solid defense, they hit better than almost anyone in the country and they pitcher better than anyone in the country. Makes me want to puke. [sick]
On the flip side FSU scored 29 runs on them taking 2/3 over the weekend...

Would everyone agree going 2 and 2 would be a sucessful week ? Any way that scenario plays out would be OK. A 3 and 1 week would be bliss !!

I would consider that a successful week. I think best case scenario might be to lose to Louisville and then take two games from Vanderbilt on the road. Then, it would be great to get a win against Louisville next week.

Does anyone know what the series record against the Cards is? TIA.
Kentucky leads the all-time series with Louisville, 69-40-1, although the Cardinals have won the last four meetings.

Prior to the last 4 meetings, I believe UK did pretty well against UL - even in the seasons when UL had a bunch of success.

Kentucky leads the all-time series with Louisville, 69-40-1, although the Cardinals have won the last four meetings.

Prior to the last 4 meetings, I believe UK did pretty well against UL - even in the seasons when UL had a bunch of success.
Thanks! I win the bet with my brother.

Cats lead 5 to 1, going to the bottom of the 7th inning. Cats got some clutch hitting in the top of the 7th, and scored 3 runs.

Uggh, the Cards come back with 3 in the bottom of the 7th, would have tied the game but Marcus Carson with a spectacular HR robbing catch to keep it at 5-4.

They may have just blown it. Another wild pitch scores the run to tie it up...

1 out with runners on 1st and 2nd in the bottom of the 9th. Henderson going to Strecker.

The bullpen's journey to the dark side is complete. Walkoff single in the bottom of the ninth.

Last edited:
One pitch and Strecker gives up a single up the middle that scores the winning run for Louisville. 7-6 loss for UK. [sick]

Our bullpen, which had been very good, has let us down 2 of the last 3 games. Shame, we played well enough to win over a top 5 ball club.

Otis has now won 5 straight and in the last 4 years has been to two CWS...Do you know how many UK has been to? ZERO... and as a matter of fact they are the ONLY SEC team to have NEVER done so and as a matter of fact they have never been to a regional final...now th at is pathetic and something the administration should be ashmed of, but they don't seem to care.

Cb3 why is Hairston the younger at Otis?

I don't know the actual reason. However, I suppose I can't blame the kid for wanting to play on a team that actually goes to the post season, makes it to super regionals, and has been to the CWS. In other words, one that competes for national championships. Also can't blame him for going to the school with better facilities and a much better coaching staff. Those would be my guesses of why he is there, but I don't really know. Me personally, I'd rather burn in hell than play for Louisville. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I don't know the actual reason. However, I suppose I can't blame the kid for wanting to play on a team that actually goes to the post season, makes it to super regionals, and has been to the CWS. In other words, one that competes for national championships. Also can't blame him for going to the school with better facilities and a much better coaching staff. Those would be my guesses of why he is there, but I don't really know. Me personally, I'd rather burn in hell than play for Louisville. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Was my guess, but I thought maybe it was something else...MB has got to make ome serious changes after this season and find some damn way to get this new stadium built...sometime I think it's all a big lie...and yes I'm pissed!!!...and I'm in the boat with you on playing for Otis

Last edited:
Cb3 why is Hairston the younger at Otis?

Devin was actually committed to Kentucky then flipped at the last minute. I had heard a rumor that Dorian almost transferred but was talked into staying so maybe that had something to do with Devin playing at UofL.

Who has that many passed balls. Just choked...time for new leadership at top. Get a young aggressive leader.

I don't understand Henderson's midweek strategy. Logue was probably throwing his best game of the season and only had 55 pitches through 5 innings, yet Henderson took him out before the sixth even started.

Devin was actually committed to Kentucky then flipped at the last minute. I had heard a rumor that Dorian almost transferred but was talked into staying so maybe that had something to do with Devin playing at UofL.
With Henderson that figures...by the way, how many ab did his brother get tonight?

I don't understand Henderson's midweek strategy. Logue was probably throwing his best game of the season and only had 55 pitches through 5 innings, yet Henderson took him out before the sixth even started.
DT...I was raising nine million kinds of hell with my texting buddies on this about GH...the guy dosen't have a clue!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT