ADVERTISEMENT

Big news

I'm not even sure which mock you're referring to I quit paying attention to any of them once draftexpress went behind the ESPN pay wall because honestly they all stink outside of it. My point with Bamba is that if you watch the NBA where does fit in today's game that puts him ahead of those guys? He's literally Nerlens Noel with a touch more offense. Go look at the advanced metrics on their college careers. They are very similar except Nerlens stands true as the better defender. I love Nerlens but he literally can't even get in games. It's not all because of Carlisle either he really didn't do anything in Philly that's why they were apt to trade him. Bamba just like Nerlens has a lower ceiling than Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, Porter, Young, or Jackson. I personally think he's got a lower ceiling than Wendell Carter too in todays NBA. In most years their isn't this much top end talent and Bamba would top 5 and probably top 2-3 but this year just too many really skilled players at the top.

Is it out of the realm of possibilities that some gm gets enamored with his measurables and pops on him at 2 or 3? Of course not. However I think NBA gm's are trending in a way were a guys crazy wingspan and standing reach wont be enough to get him over some of the highly skilled players that are out there this year
Myles Turner, but potentially better. That's what the NBA sees with Bamba.

And Bamba might actually fit the current NBA game better than Bagley. A lot of NBA teams now couldn't care less if their center has any kind of post game. They want a center who can, first and foremost, be the interior anchor on defense. Other stuff is a bonus.

Ayton will almost certainly go ahead of Bamba, because even though Ayton hasn't shown the greatest defensive instincts (or desire to dominate on that end), he clearly has the physical tools to be a good defender. Bagley is more of a question mark. He's not particularly good on D, and does not have the physical tools that teams are looking for at center. He's pretty much a pure NBA 4, but lacks the shooting ability that a lot of NBA teams now want from that position.

I don't think it will happen, but it wouldn't be totally shocking to see Bamba taken ahead of Bagley.

Myles Turner, but potentially better. That's what the NBA sees with Bamba.

And Bamba might actually fit the current NBA game better than Bagley. A lot of NBA teams now couldn't care less if their center has any kind of post game. They want a center who can, first and foremost, be the interior anchor on defense. Other stuff is a bonus.

Ayton will almost certainly go ahead of Bamba, because even though Ayton hasn't shown the greatest defensive instincts (or desire to dominate on that end), he clearly has the physical tools to be a good defender. Bagley is more of a question mark. He's not particularly good on D, and does not have the physical tools that teams are looking for at center. He's pretty much a pure NBA 4, but lacks the shooting ability that a lot of NBA teams now want from that position.

I don't think it will happen, but it wouldn't be totally shocking to see Bamba taken ahead of Bagley.
Bagley is an absolute prototypical 4 in today's NBA. No team is looking at him at the 5. You realize he's shooting 36% from 3 and has true FG% of 63. That is absolutely outrageous. He also averages more rebounds than Bamba. He is one the most gifted offensive prospects that I've ever seen at this age and that size. He also has a motor that never stops. That's why there's even conversation about Ayton not going #1. Maybe Ayton turns into a monster and maybe he never commits to the game and has a 10 year career where he never makes an all star game and gets fat. None of us will know until draft night and really we'll never know until 5 years or so from now who was really right about this but as much as it pains me to say it, give me the Dukie all day every day in this scenario.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
Starting to see a pattern of guys Cal was after and either backed off, or shocked everyone by picking someone else. I think that alone is a strong indication Cal is not involved in paying recruits. At all.
Agree. All of this explains why Calipari's pitch to recruits has been "play for me at UK, then make a ton of money in the NBA". Given appearances, it looks like Calipari backed off some recruitments as soon as conversations crossed the compliance red line. And I believe we can see why Calipari took a pass from the very beginning on some highly ranked players like Duval, Preston, Sexton, Jackson, Ferguson, Robinson, Simmons. Looking at what we know now, it's still circumstantial but LSU, Alabama, Michigan State, Duke, Kansas, Texas appear to be implicated. This is starting to look like the story of the tortoise and the hare. In addition to Calipari, Jay Wright, Matt Painter, Chris Mack, Mark Few, Tony Bennett appear to be running clean programs based on current circumstantial evidence.

Agree. All of this explains why Calipari's pitch to recruits has been "play for me at UK, then make a ton of money in the NBA". Given appearances, it looks like Calipari backed off some recruitments as soon as conversations crossed the compliance red line. And I believe we can see why Calipari took a pass from the very beginning on some highly ranked players like Duval, Preston, Sexton, Jackson, Ferguson, Robinson, Simmons. Looking at what we know now, it's still circumstantial but LSU, Alabama, Michigan State, Duke, Kansas, Texas appear to be implicated. This is starting to look like the story of the tortoise and the hare. In addition to Calipari, Jay Wright, Matt Painter, Chris Mack, Mark Few, Tony Bennett appear to be running clean programs based on current circumstantial evidence.

Didn’t Rick Barnes recruit Eric Davis to Texas?

Bagley is an absolute prototypical 4 in today's NBA. No team is looking at him at the 5. You realize he's shooting 36% from 3 and has true FG% of 63. That is absolutely outrageous. He also averages more rebounds than Bamba. He is one the most gifted offensive prospects that I've ever seen at this age and that size. He also has a motor that never stops. That's why there's even conversation about Ayton not going #1. Maybe Ayton turns into a monster and maybe he never commits to the game and has a 10 year career where he never makes an all star game and gets fat. None of us will know until draft night and really we'll never know until 5 years or so from now who was really right about this but as much as it pains me to say it, give me the Dukie all day every day in this scenario.
You're just wrong about Bagley's position. A LOT of NBA teams would prefer him as a center. Hell, that's where ESPN's most recent mock draft has him listed. A lot of people don't trust his shooting (the 3 point shooting numbers are decent, but on limited attempts, and his FT%- often seen by scouts as an indicator of how easily, or not, a player will be able to expand his range- are bad), and a lot of people question whether he can chase smaller guys around on the perimeter (many NBA teams want a guy at the 4 who can guard multiple positions, so switching on D is easier and more effective). So, many teams would prefer Bagley at 5.

Bagley is a great prospect, and he could go as high as #1 overall. It depends on what that specific team wants. But there are some concerns that he'll just be Michael Beasley with a better attitude- a guy with the physical ability and skill to absolutely torch college players, but not able to translate that to the pros.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
pretty sure i saw UK in there with all of those other schools. if Duke, KU, and UNC are dirty, then i’m sure UK is as well. if they had to pay players to play for them why would they go to UK for free?

Nah it’s orchestrated by Thammel and Ford. I think they have the info or know the info and are spreading it as they see fit.

Yep. They likely looked at this discovery weeks ago. They probably already approach Emmert with it that's he had a statement so quick.

They sat on it till now because they know cbb interest is really heating up this time of year. Now they'll slow play it to get Max exposure

Based on the reporting & stories that have been made public over the last few months, he needs to borrow the DeLorean and convince his past self to retire about 4 or 5 years ago.

I'm still perplexed by the revelation of a guy who was highly regarded by nearly everyone in numerous circles, and his demeanor & personality spoke to him as a respected member in the community and his profession, only to find out he seemingly could care less about the behavior of his players and staff- including serial incidents of sexual assault or worse.
For that matter, even when he found out, it wasn't just that he didn't take any action that would have a negative impact on his team or the public image of the program, he didn't even care enough to handle things behind the scenes to reign in the despicable, illegal, and destructive pattern of behavior. That's some cold-blooded heartlessness, and apparently he and their football coach were in competition with one another to see whose program could wreak the most damage in town and shatter the most lives of the young people they sat back, watched, and let happen again and again without caring enough to be bothered with lifting so much as a finger to put a stop to it all.
I wonder if and when Izzo goes down will Vitale rip into him the way he ripped into Miller at Arizona? Or will he make excuses like he does for Pitino. Things are getting very interesting.

The presence of issues with those two explain why Emmert has been quoted as saying they would like to wipe the slate clean and start fresh. If Cal and UK had been in the list instead of those, wrath and fury.

I wonder if and when Izzo goes down will Vitale rip into him the way he ripped into Miller at Arizona? Or will he make excuses like he does for Pitino. Things are getting very interesting.

It has been quite sad to see Vitale slam Miller when he has defended Pitino who has done worse. I couldn't believe the other night he was saying Miller was taped by FBI trying to orchestrate payment but they had no proof Pitino knew anything. Umm Dick you do know Pitino was also caught by the FBI agent doing the same thing with Bowen right?

pretty sure i saw UK in there with all of those other schools. if Duke, KU, and UNC are dirty, then i’m sure UK is as well. if they had to pay players to play for them why would they go to UK for free?
OK tell us what you got on Kentucky. Do you have facts or are you just throwing things out to see if they will stick. Why would Kentucky have to be dirty because of the way Kansas, Duke and UNC run their programs.

Do you have facts or is this just wishful thinking on your part?

OK tell us what you got on Kentucky. Do you have facts or are you just throwing things out to see if they will stick. Why would Kentucky have to be dirty because of the way Kansas, Duke and UNC run their programs.

Do you have facts or is this just wishful thinking on your part?

so what are your facts on KU or Duke? kentucky has knox and Bam listed and someone on this board was saying something about Noel. for all we know every coach is dirty. you all think because a highly ranked recruit chooses any other school than UK then something must be going on. I’m a KU fan and if Bill Self is on the wiretap arranging payments then he needs to go just like any other coach doing the same thing.

You need to read through these threads if you want a detailed explanation but it comes down to Cal's recruiting taking a hit these past few years. Why did he lose out on or stop recruiting multiple players? We are starting to see why.

UK was mentioned with three players: Knox (minor-one meal), Noel (after graduation), and Bam (while UK wasn't really a player, money given to an influencer and not Bam).

If you are a UK fan, you would look into this deeper. If you're a troll you assume the worst and post something to that effect.

so what are your facts on KU or Duke? kentucky has knox and Bam listed and someone on this board was saying something about Noel. for all we know every coach is dirty. you all think because a highly ranked recruit chooses any other school than UK then something must be going on. I’m a KU fan and if Bill Self is on the wiretap arranging payments then he needs to go just like any other coach doing the same thing.

That explains it.

Reactions: UKUGA and flacat22
You don't have much of a mind for detail. There is no evidence UK is implicated. UK has issued a statement saying no current players or coaches are implicated. Public statements like that aren't issued unless UK's general counsel is sure. It doesn't matter if Nerlens or Bam took a loan from an agent. They are professional players. Pitino is now unemployed, and Sean Miller is incriminated on an FBI wire tap, because they conspired to pay amateur players to sign scholarship papers. There is no evidence that UK is implicated. Circumstantial evidence actually appears otherwise.

m
You need to read through these threads if you want a detailed explanation but it comes down to Cal's recruiting taking a hit these past few years. Why did he lose out on or stop recruiting multiple players? We are starting to see why.

UK was mentioned with three players: Knox (minor-one meal), Noel (after graduation), and Bam (while UK wasn't really a player, money given to an influencer and not Bam).

If you are a UK fan, you would look into this deeper. If you're a troll you assume the worst and post something to that effect.
maybe top players have seen what recent players (simmons, fultz, young etc.) can do at other schools and don’t need to go play with 5 other 5* players to get drafted high.

m

maybe top players have seen what recent players (simmons, fultz, young etc.) can do at other schools and don’t need to go play with 5 other 5* players to get drafted high.

One of your fellow KU fans came over here the other day and said we need to all ban together and tell the NCAA to stick it, (nobody agreed with him, lol) so he's clearly terrified of what's to come for your holier than thou/gutter trash program.

It has been quite sad to see Vitale slam Miller when he has defended Pitino who has done worse. I couldn't believe the other night he was saying Miller was taped by FBI trying to orchestrate payment but they had no proof Pitino knew anything. Umm Dick you do know Pitino was also caught by the FBI agent doing the same thing with Bowen right?
Dick Vitale is a substandard analyst. He has nothing to do with this. Pitino is history. Miller will soon be history. All of that is pretty clear. The big question is which other college coaches will go down in flames with them.

Reactions: awf
m

Like what, lose? Quit on your teammates? Not make the tournament? Has there been a Fultz sighting since he can no longer shoot?

Reactions: Cat78Scot
m

That's quite possible. There are a myriad of reasons why someone would choose to go elsewhere. There sure seems to be a systematic culture of cheating to address UK's recent dominance in recruiting also though.

You are the one that came over here asking, we are just informing you of the reasons why UK hasn't been implicated as of yet.

Knox- meal that is in question if it even occurred

Noel- already in the NBA at the time

Bam- was 16. We weren't recruiting him yet. Loan was likely given to an influencer to get him to NC State (adidas/Dennis Smith jrs loan was exactly double Bams/ Bams was marked "bad loan"/it's a known fact people in his circle were pushing NC State hard)

Cal and Kentucky has managed to back off every recruit that has came up to be involved with the shoe company pay for play, not just a 3rd party loan when they were a high school kid. You don't back off every one of them when they are top players and fill your needs if you don't know what is going on behind the scenes and are steering clear of it. Once or twice is a coincidence. 10+ is an indicator.

I missed the link that showed the money for Bam was given to an influencer. Could you please provide post it for some peace of mind?

Reactions: Kentucky31
I missed the link that showed the money for Bam was given to an influencer. Could you please provide post it for some peace of mind?

It's been more of an ongoing discussion in threads really, not sure if there is a link. The Thamel/Forde thread has a lot of it.

It's been more of an ongoing discussion in threads really, not sure if there is a link. The Thamel/Forde thread has a lot of it.

Basically the gist is that the loan was in 2015 and is marked as a 'bad loan' on the ledger. When you look at the other listings it looks like that loan is deemed to be 'not collectible'.

So the deduction made was that the loan was to someone who thought he could deliver Bam to NC State (the big player in Bam's recruitment at the time) and that since Bam wasn't aware of the loan, there is no way to collect even now that he is in the NBA.

Reactions: brianpoe
Okafor was/is strictly an old-school back to the basket C/5. But one who didn't/doesn't play DEF.

Bagley in an NBA 4, and will be an all-star.
Bagley is a five in today’s NBA not a four. He isn’t guarding draymond or players in that mold out on the floor. Tbh he isn’t guarding much of anyone out on the floor and he certainly isn’t learning how to in Durham playing that weak zone the whole game

m

You keep repeating that to yourself Sunflower......

Reactions: Cat78Scot
Didn’t Rick Barnes recruit Eric Davis to Texas?
I think we know now how Pitino got involved. He heard how so many of these players were being shopped around he decided to throw his hat in the ring and go after some highly rated players. What he did not figure on is getting caught up in a FBI sting operation. It all comes back to Cal, Pitino could not stand getting his arse kicked by Cal and decided to try and level the playing field.

I think we know now how Pitino got involved. He heard how so many of these players were being shopped around he decided to throw his hat in the ring and go after some highly rated players. What he did not figure on is getting caught up in a FBI sting operation. It all comes back to Cal, Pitino could not stand getting his arse kicked by Cal and decided to try and level the playing field.

Exactly.

As I've said in other threads. Higgins ran interference while we were dominating recruiting and the cheaters were ramping up the bribery scheme. Then our recruiting dropped off a bit.

Cal's been up against it from day one. Branded and assumed to be a cheater by the very same people that were blatantly cheating just to keep up with his legitimate recruiting.

At least that is what appears to have happened. You never know but it sure looks like we are clean.

I won't hold my breath waiting for all the sportswriter hacks to write conciliatory columns.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I'm not even sure which mock you're referring to I quit paying attention to any of them once draftexpress went behind the ESPN pay wall because honestly they all stink outside of it. My point with Bamba is that if you watch the NBA where does he fit in today's game that puts him ahead of those guys? He can't even drag Texas to wins. He's literally Nerlens Noel with a touch more offense. Go look at the advanced metrics on their college careers. They are very similar except Nerlens stands true as the better defender. I love Nerlens but he literally can't even get in games. It's not all because of Carlisle either he really didn't do anything in Philly that's why they were apt to trade him. Bamba just like Nerlens has a lower ceiling than Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, Porter, Young, or Jackson. I personally think he's got a lower ceiling than Wendell Carter too in todays NBA. In most years there isn't this much top end talent and Bamba would be top 5 and probably top 2-3 but this year there is just too many really skilled players at the top.

Having said all that is it out of the realm of possibilities that some gm gets enamored with his measurables and pops on him at 2 or 3? Of course not. However I think NBA gm's are trending in a way where a guys crazy wingspan and standing reach wont be enough to get him over some of the highly skilled players that are out there this year

I dont disagree with the NN comparison. What is the value of an elite rim protector today? Depends on the team I guess, and their conference opponents?

This mock has Bamba #8

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

These have Bamba Top 5

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...ck-draft-trae-young-luka-doncic-top-prospects

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/new...oncic-deandre-ayton/2khdk5d15lgt16sdln66qti01

https://www.si.com/nba/nba-mock-draft-2018

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT