ADVERTISEMENT

Best swingman to play at UK?

Mashburn can be argued as the best Kentucky player ever. Got to go with him.
I’m 54 years old and he is the best I ever saw play at Kentucky and nobody can touch him. People under appreciate just what this guy did for Kentucky. If any player ever deserved a statue out in front of Rupp it’s him. There will never be another player like him at Kentucky.

I don't remember Mash being called a swingman. For me the answer is Mercer as all he needed was the ball and it was going in one way or another. Mashburn was an inch taller and 30 pounds heavier than Mercer. Mashburn was the closest thing to a one man team Kentucky has ever had, though.

Anthony Davis is the best player ever at Kentucky, period. Mashburn is the 2nd best player I ever personally saw at UK. Mercer is the best swingman. DA swooping in on one side and throwing it over to Mercer on the other was a nightmare. Pick which one you wanted dunking on your head.

I'm 43. Of the guys in my lifetime, probably Mercer. DA and Tayshaun are up there. Bogans is underappreciated probably because of his junior season, but he's not far behind. MKG would be high on the list if he counts, but I think he was more of a 3/4 in college than a swing man. I agree with everyone about how good was Mashburn was, but don't think he fits the swing man criteria.

Mashburn did everything Mercer did and more. Shot it better from deep. Had more assists. The problem was that he was so good at scoring inside and rebounding, people forget how much better he was on the perimeter.

That gives me goosebumps! That 93 team was the best in the country. That BS call on Mash when he fouled out against Michigan was criminal. Two years in a row he was fouled out on BS calls.

Those Pitino teams were something else. Never seen anything like those Pitino UK teams since. When they were clicking, it was the absolute most beautiful basketball one will ever see.

EDIT: If Mash is considered a swingman, then he’s the best I’ve seen. Mercer and DA right behind him. Crazy that those two were on the same damn team. I’ll say it again, they were the best duo in the country in 1997. That injury is still heartbreaking.

I don't remember Mash being called a swingman. For me the answer is Mercer as all he needed was the ball and it was going in one way or another. Mashburn was an inch taller and 30 pounds heavier than Mercer. Mashburn was the closest thing to a one man team Kentucky has ever had, though.

Anthony Davis is the best player ever at Kentucky, period. Mashburn is the 2nd best player I ever personally saw at UK. Mercer is the best swingman. DA swooping in on one side and throwing it over to Mercer on the other was a nightmare. Pick which one you wanted dunking on your head.
I’m not quite sure it’s as definitive as some might think. I mean, AD is probably the best player ever here. Mash was damn good also. As was Issel.

Has to be Mercer, right?
He’s way up there. Crazy thing is that DA was having a better season than even Mercer in 1997. That’s insane to even think about. If DA doesn’t get hurt, I wonder how much that would’ve changed this argument.

I mean, DA was the best defensive player in the country in 1997 and possibly the best player overall. He was killing it before he got hurt. Thunder and Lightning were the real deal! Best duo in the country that year.

He’s way up there. Crazy thing is that DA was having a better season than even Mercer in 1997. That’s insane to even think about. If DA doesn’t get hurt, I wonder how much that would’ve changed this argument.

I mean, DA was the best defensive player in the country in 1997 and possibly the best player overall. He was killing it before he got hurt. Thunder and Lightning were the real deal! Best duo in the country that year.

Yeah, right before he got hurt the talk was would DA or Duncan get NPoY.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT