ADVERTISEMENT

Best BB player to come out of your high school ?

We had a guy play Div 1 mid major a couple years behind my class. The best player overall was Bimbo Coles. He was before my time, played in the mid 80s. He was a standout in baseball, believe he was drafted in mlb and I heard his best sport was football. He was on the 88 Olympic team before they changed the rules to allow NBA players and played in the nba for about 15 years. Never a star, but solid role player and long career. He was still playing when I graduated HS.

Charles Taylor.......
6'5" and could light it up from deep in the early 60's ........... just not a college type guy.
Played one year at KY Wesleyan with Mike Redd, another ..... "could have been"
I think either could make it today with the right mind set.......... Oh Well!!!!!
Glad to see somebody remembering that bunch from the 1963 graduating class. For my money, that was the best All-State Tournament Team ever. Charlie Taylor and Mike Redd were great ... but Redd's teammate Wes Unseld (a junior) was also on that All-Tournament Team, as were Clem Haskins and Dwight Smith, and George Wilson from Dunbar, and Pearl Hicks, who played with Clem and Dwight at WKU.

Leonard Coulter played for Danville. He had a excellent career at Morehead State.Leonard earned All America honors in 1972.He should have been playing for Kentucky but don't think he was offered.

Last edited:
My school was so small, that I waived the five-year rule. Best was probably David Justice who went on to marry Halle Berry and play for the Yankees. I believe he was 1st team locally in Bball and we did not have a baseball team - go figure. Honorable mention to Brian O'Connor.

Not anyone of note from the men's side, So I'll have to say the best player with the most accolades, including All-American honors is the lady currently coaching the UK Women's team, Kyra Elzy. There was a girl I graduated with, Nancy Crutcher, who led the women's team to the State Championship and was supposed to sign with WKU back when they were a women's power, but she blew out both her knees and never played college ball.

Last edited:
Dirk Minniefield! Another Lafayette HS grad, graduated in 1980 so was a junior during the '79 title year. Holy buckets we were good! A lot of games were pretty much over after the first quarter of Jail House Junk defense.

Me. Kidding. Kid at Auburn now by the name of Chance Westry. Went to my high school in Pennsylvania until soph season, I believe. Then went out to the West Coast to play with Bronny. Had some other high division 1 players, but I believe he was the highest ranked player coming out of HS.

@Denim Vest Do you think he will see the court and contribute this year as a true Freshman?

Reactions: Fox2monk
Greg Smith, Caldwell County grad, went on to Western Kentucky and then to the Milwaukee Bucks to win an NBA championship along with Oscar Robertson and Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

Missed Freddie Cowan by one year as he's six years older than me. Within the five-year timeframe, I would have to say Dennis Johnson, who was recruited to Iowa, then transferred to WKU after one year to finish his career.

Wally young western high school. Sluggercatfans nephew! Second Joyce young sluggercatfan niece!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT