ADVERTISEMENT

Best BB player to come out of your high school ?

Best player within 5 years of me was probably a guy very few have ever heard of, Skeeter White (RIP).

Ryan Shannon? Nobody's ever heard of this guy. I don't know if he ever played beyond high school. But he had fantastic handles (as far as our area of the world was concerned) and could shoot the lights out.

Paintsville is John P, in basketball but Johnny Lemaster played over 10 years in the majors the with San Francisco Giants.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Pat Riley

ok.. It's not my HS as I went to a private academy, but it's the school district I'm currently in, and for all you guys know, it's "somewhere in NY".

The school itself has been rebuilt and is one of those modern 1-story ugly campus', but Linton/Schenectady is literally walking distance from me.

Bob Brizendine, Franklin-Simpson H.S., 1964. We knew each other since we were 4 years old. He averaged 21 ppg as a senior. Briz played at Georgia Tech. He played against Kareem at Pauley Pavilion when Kareem was known as Lew Alcindor. Briz was a year ahead of me in school. We were high school basketball teammates. What we wanted, more than anything in the world, was to play in the State Tournament. When Briz was a senior and I was a junior, we got within one game. Lost in the finals of the Regional Tournament to Allen County. A crusher ! They went to the semifinals of the State Tournament. Their best player, Norman Weaver, made the All-Tournament Team and played at WKU. Norm was a 6'4" forward. I was a 6'1" center. We played a box-and-chaser against them. I chased Norm. Obviously not quite well enough ! Toughest loss of my life, by a wide margin.
Briz and I ended up in the same law school class. He became a highly successful bankruptcy lawyer in Atlanta, and after that became a U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge. Briz died about 4 years ago. I sure do miss him.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueWhite21
Just curious on this slow day. Let’s set a ground rule though. Let’s make it the best player to come out of your high school either while you attended or within 5 years before or after. Should make it a bit more interesting. I’ll go first. Shannon Hoskins M.C Napier 1988 thru 1990 then he transferred to Clay Co. to finish out his high school career when MC Napier fired their then coach—Denny Fugate. He went on to play D1 at South Carolina then transferred and finished up at Georgetown (Ky). Current boys BB coach for Perry Co Central. He was a heck of a guard in his prime. Could shoot lights out. If he would’ve been two to three inches taller he could’ve played professionally I’m sure.
Billy Manning, Sandy Hook 1958.

Reactions: Ugoff
Charles Taylor.......
6'5" and could light it up from deep in the early 60's ........... just not a college type guy.
Played one year at KY Wesleyan with Mike Redd, another ..... "could have been"
I think either could make it today with the right mind set.......... Oh Well!!!!!

Ryan Shannon? Nobody's ever heard of this guy. I don't know if he ever played beyond high school. But he had fantastic handles (as far as our area of the world was concerned) and could shoot the lights out.
Did he play for South Floyd? I remember a Ryan Shannon playing there. If so, he went on to play at Alice Lloyd College.

Did he play for South Floyd? I remember a Ryan Shannon playing there. If so, he went on to play at Alice Lloyd College.

Yeah.
It wasn't a school known for much of anything really (the cheerleaders won some competitions). There might've been better, but I don't remember them.

Dear old HS has produced some excellent bb players ..spent many Tues, Friday, Sat. there watching games. Seats all around the gym and great view. Grew up for 9 years about 2 blocks from the old school at Brook/Breckenridge.
The original Male High downtown was the best although it's a lot rougher down there now than in the 80s. Even then it was still not EZ street down there. I remember my school bus driving by the Louisville Outlaws motorcycle gang's house and those dudes sippin beers at 7:30 am on the porch. 😂😂😂

Yeah.
It wasn't a school known for much of anything really (the cheerleaders won some competitions). There might've been better, but I don't remember them.
I remember that team his senior year. I think 4 of the players from that team wound up playing at Alice Lloyd. I seem to remember a couple of younger players players on that team named Rusty Tackett and Michael Hall that were hyped up by some as being D-1 players, but they wound up at Pikeville College and didn't play much. I think both left after 2 or 3 years of being at the end of the bench.

The year after Shannon graduated, South Floyd won their only 15th Region Tournament in school history. They lost to Clay County in the 1st Round of the state tournament.

Reactions: DCFseattle
Wasn''t any great players from Knott Central during 1989-1993 years or 5 years either way.. Even though we won region and made it to state tournament 3/4 years in '90-'93.. Had plenty length and Sonny Huff could kiss the rim.. No stars just a bunch hillbillies that could ball..

Overall top 2 from KCC

1A Camron Justice
1B Herbie Stamper

Last edited:
Not sure I could name anyone of much significance in those time parameters. Just really no basketball success in that time for real. Had a dude year ahead of me that played at North Carolina A&T. So best all time was maybe Ross Neltner who played at LSU and Vandy. Derek Smith and Jared Lorenzen were so much fun to watch when I was a kid. Basketball was obviously their secondary sport but they were both so big and athletic that they dominated.

Last edited:
Reactions: fatguy87
The original Male High downtown was the best although it's a lot rougher down there now than in the 80s. Even then it was still not EZ street down there. I remember my school bus driving by the Louisville Outlaws motorcycle gang's house and those dudes sippin beers at 7:30 am on the porch. 😂😂😂
Talking 60s...Dallas Thorton, George Tinsley, Ted Rose, Henry Bacon and many others. Believe it or not, my sister and her husband, who raised me, owned that house for 9 years and we lived there. We moved after my sophomore year at Male. Went to Manly Jr High.

Last edited:
Reactions: sambowieshin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT