ADVERTISEMENT

Best 5 non-serious scoring threat players you remember

Dom Hawkins.
Never was a top notch scorer but I'll take a kid like that on a team 10/10 times. I do not want that kid to guard me.
I'll throw liggins in the same category. Not a too big if a scorer but he was lock down

Reactions: chroix
Since it seems like we aren't being to strict I'll throw Nazr out there. Obviously had the intangibles with how long he hung around in the NBA

I’ll throw in Anthony Epps. Pitino tried Delk at the point to start that 95/96 season and then inserted Epps into the starting lineup about 10 games into the season. He ran that team so well while averaging 6.7ppg.
Epps is one of the most under-rated, under-appreciated players in KY basketball history.

Brandon Knight's got all the shine in 2011...but that team makes it to the final four because of DeAndre liggins.

He shut Bufford down for Ohio state holding to 2-16.

Then he got one of the biggest stops of the game against unc blocking Barnes lay in on the board.

ALmost every guy listed was a scoring threat, TBH. He only averaged 9ppg.....but on just 7 shots. He controlled the game...tempo. EVery pass had a purpose....every dribble....disrupted passing lanes. Just did everything. But most importantly, when in the game, UK seemed a lot more relaxed, calmed, etc, etc....During the IU game, both of them, he was the difference. Especially at AH. When UK was on the verge of getting blown out, he hit some big time shots, and made some big, non- box score, type of plays.... Then in the SW 16 game, dude was the difference----19 points, not sure if he even missed any type of shot.

I just think you remove him from that team, they don't win it all. MOF, I'm not sure they beat Indiana w/o him in the SW 16.

One of my all-time favorite UK players. Just loved how the kid played.
Yep Miller was the Heart of that squad, he was the veteran who led them all year long. Obviously AD/MKG/Jones were the reason the really were the best team but as you said he could be counted on at the times they had issues.

Brandon Knight's got all the shine in 2011...but that team makes it to the final four because of DeAndre liggins.

He shut Bufford down for Ohio state holding to 2-16.

Then he got one of the biggest stops of the game against unc blocking Barnes lay in on the board.
Liggins was awesome that post season.

I’m trying to remember the guys that dominated a game in some other way than scoring. The obvious and first choice would be Nerlens. Keep in mind, I’m not saying these guys CANT score but if their scoring is all they did, they wouldn’t have had anywhere near the same impact. My 5:
1. Nerlens
2. Chuck Hayes
3. MKG
4. DeAndre Liggins
5. Sahvir Wheeler

How’d I do and who did I forget? You could easily say Oscar and AD but they score efficiently enough I say they don’t qualify.

In no particular order:

1) Charles Hurt
2) Heshimu Evans
3) DeAndre Liggins
4) Winston Bennett
5) Erik Daniels

Isaiah Briscoe was close as was Roger Harden

The title of the thread "non-serious scoring threats" does not match what the OP then explained (guys who contributed more than only scoring).

Looking at some of the names people have mentioned.
Oscar (NPOY) - led nation in rebounding, but also led team in scoring (by almost 5ppg) so he was a serious scoring threat
Wheeler - top 10 assist guy, good defender, scored 10ppg
Ulis (1st Team AA, SEC POY) - SEC defensive POY and SEC assist leader so certainly did more than score, but at over 17ppg was not a non-scorer it was also a big part of his game
WCS (1st team AA) - yet did not score 9ppg, has to top the list!!! Even if you look at his per 30min scoring of 10.3ppg is not a lot
Noel - the best 2-eyebrow shot blocker ever at UK (and only 0.26/gm behind AD). He had 9.5rpg, 4.4bpg, and 2.1spg. His scoring was only 10.5, although I think just before his injury he started scoring more. But should be in top 5
AD (NPOY, Def-NPOY) - also 10.4rpg and 4.7bpg. But he was our leading scorer (14.2ppg), so can't call him a non-serious scoring threat. But he no doubt did way more than score
MKG - he just did a little bit of everything, but his 11.9ppg was only 2.3 behind our leading scorer
Patterson - was 2nd on team in scoring all 3 years at UK, not a great defender, I don't see how anyone lists him
Rondo - sort of like MKG he did it all, was even our leading rebounder as Soph (more than our C Morris), but was our 2nd leading scorer even if only 11.2ppg
Hayes also did a lot of things, while in 4 years never reaching 11ppg. Good defender and rebounder, but not "great".
Daniels - scored 14.5ppg (2nd on team) so not non-scoring threat. Like that whole team (Hayes, Fitch, Hawkins, Azubuike), not great at anything, just did what it took to win.
Epps - while he may have been the 8th best guy on the 96 team, he may have been the most important one, all while scoring only 6.7ppg
Riddick was also a good choice, shot blocker, rebounded ok, couldn't score at all

I'd have to go WCS, Noel, Epps, Riddick, and ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT