ADVERTISEMENT

Best 5 non-serious scoring threat players you remember

Tubbyfan78

Junior
Feb 9, 2021
I’m trying to remember the guys that dominated a game in some other way than scoring. The obvious and first choice would be Nerlens. Keep in mind, I’m not saying these guys CANT score but if their scoring is all they did, they wouldn’t have had anywhere near the same impact. My 5:
1. Nerlens
2. Chuck Hayes
3. MKG
4. DeAndre Liggins
5. Sahvir Wheeler

How’d I do and who did I forget? You could easily say Oscar and AD but they score efficiently enough I say they don’t qualify.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I wouldn’t say he dominated the game, but Allen Edwards was a guy who could always be counted on to come in and defend his ass off, come up with a clutch rebound, and hit a tough shot here and there. Just a solid guy that every champ team needs. Same could be said for Dale Brown.

It has to be AD for me. I know you disqualified him bc he had the ability to score, but he only avg 14 pts/game. If all he did was score and nothing else, we don't cut the nets down, that is how important he was on the defensive end of the floor.

Reactions: chroix
Rob Locke and Jared Prickett
Hey man, I actually really liked both of those guys. Prickett was fun to be around. Locke just because I have my first real memories with him being on the team. I was about 10 when he was first year. He was a solid contributor and got better each season. Sure he came off the bench and had his moments of fail, but I liked him. Played professionally over seas for a while I believe.

Reactions: chroix and cathouse
I’ll throw in Anthony Epps. Pitino repeatedly tried Delk at the point to start that 95/96 season and then inserted Epps into the starting lineup about 10 games into the season. He ran that team so well while averaging 6.7ppg.
Yep, the only thing that held Delk back were the attempts to make him play point guard. Because he was only 6’1”, Pitino kept trying to play him out of position at the point. As soon as he finally gave up on that, Delk flourished and showed he was by far the best all around wing guard in the entire country.

I recall the same thing happened with Delk in the NBA. He struggled when teams tried to make him play point, but thrived when they let him play on the wing. Sometimes you just gotta let players play where they play best regardless of where they” look” like they should be playing.

Last edited:
Erik Daniels. I know Chuck Hayes has already been mentioned too.... they're connection with the interior passing was delightful. Watch for it this season... Toppin and Oscar aren't the same as those two, but they find each other well in the post as well.

Maglore, Epps, Riddick, even Richards, most def Noel,

I don't like anyone saying Hays and Daniels couldn't score, that team with them and Fitch that went into tournament ranked number one, undefeated in the SEC, they probably played the best team ball of any UK team, I bet it was Tubby's highest scoring team, they were a joy to watch. So unselfish. And damn, Alabama A and M played out of their minds.

Reactions: chroix

I don't like anyone saying Hays and Daniels couldn't score, that team with them and Fitch that went into tournament ranked number one, undefeated in the SEC, they probably played the best team ball of any UK team, I bet it was Tubby's highest scoring team, they were a joy to watch. So unselfish. And damn, Alabama A and M played out of their minds.
Hayes was a less efficient scorer than Nerlens. Noel averages 10.5 on 6.3 shots, Hayes averaged 10.9 on 8.2.

Hey man, I actually really liked both of those guys. Prickett was fun to be around. Locke just because I have my first real memories with him being on the team. I was about 10 when he was first year. He was a solid contributor and got better each season. Sure he came off the bench and had his moments of fail, but I liked him. Played professionally over seas for a while I believe.
I loved them both.

What was the question?🤔😃

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
Hayes was a less efficient scorer than Nerlens. Noel averages 10.5 on 6.3 shots, Hayes averaged 10.9 on 8.2.
They are close but I'm sure Hayes had a better average from the floor, 60% of Noel's points were put back dunks. Hayes would cut in from the corner with a hard dribble and shoulder fake or bump off his man for a close bank shot.

They are close but I'm sure Hayes had a better average from the floor, 60% of Noel's points were put back dunks. Hayes would cut in from the corner with a hard dribble and shoulder fake or bump off his man for a close bank shot.
False, check the stats.

I agree with most of your list OP. But Wheeler had multiple 20+ point games last season. I know for whatever reason this board hates on the kid all the time, but he’s able to get to the basket and get the scoop layup quite a bit.

So I’d swap him out with Turner. But otherwise pretty solid list if you ask me.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I’m trying to remember the guys that dominated a game in some other way than scoring. The obvious and first choice would be Nerlens. Keep in mind, I’m not saying these guys CANT score but if their scoring is all they did, they wouldn’t have had anywhere near the same impact. My 5:
1. Nerlens
2. Chuck Hayes
3. MKG
4. DeAndre Liggins
5. Sahvir Wheeler

How’d I do and who did I forget? You could easily say Oscar and AD but they score efficiently enough I say they don’t qualify.
That's a really good list. Cliff Hawkins is a good example, IMO. He scored more his senior year but before that he wasn't on the floor for scoring, but for on-ball defense and play making.

I agree with most of your list OP. But Wheeler had multiple 20+ point games last season. I know for whatever reason this board hates on the kid all the time, but he’s able to get to the basket and get the scoop layup quite a bit.

So I’d swap him out with Turner. But otherwise pretty solid list if you ask me.
Yep, Wayne Turner is another good one.

Darius MIller......UK does not win the title in 2012 if he's not there. That dude was so damn valuable. He might only score 6 points, but those 6 points always seemed to come when so badly needed. He had that calming impact....

Reactions: Fox2monk
Darius MIller......UK does not win the title in 2012 if he's not there. That dude was so damn valuable. He might only score 6 points, but those 6 points always seemed to come when so badly needed. He had that calming impact....
All true, but he was absolutely a serious scoring threat, even if he wasn't one of the go-to scorers. He was a clutch three or FT-line jumper just waiting to happen.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
All true, but he was absolutely a serious scoring threat, even if he wasn't one of the go-to scorers. He was a clutch three or FT-line jumper just waiting to happen.
ALmost every guy listed was a scoring threat, TBH. He only averaged 9ppg.....but on just 7 shots. He controlled the game...tempo. EVery pass had a purpose....every dribble....disrupted passing lanes. Just did everything. But most importantly, when in the game, UK seemed a lot more relaxed, calmed, etc, etc....During the IU game, both of them, he was the difference. Especially at AH. When UK was on the verge of getting blown out, he hit some big time shots, and made some big, non- box score, type of plays.... Then in the SW 16 game, dude was the difference----19 points, not sure if he even missed any type of shot.

I just think you remove him from that team, they don't win it all. MOF, I'm not sure they beat Indiana w/o him in the SW 16.

One of my all-time favorite UK players. Just loved how the kid played.

Reactions: Fox2monk and chroix
I’ll throw in Anthony Epps. Pitino tried Delk at the point to start that 95/96 season and then inserted Epps into the starting lineup about 10 games into the season. He ran that team so well while averaging 6.7ppg.
Epps doesn’t get the credit he has deserved. He was a very important cog in that dominant 96 title team. The proverbial straw that stirred the drink. He was just a winner and is my answer for the question at hand in this thread.

UAB.

Reactions: WallMashKyBall
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT