ADVERTISEMENT

Barney needs to man up and hire pitino

That’s the way out of this mess. Bring back the man who originally brought UK back. Let him load his staff and groom the next coach. This is no crap shoot. We know pitino would come in hungry and would win big. He’d keep reed around 100% and bring alot of his former player and open the program back up to the players and fans. He knows how this job goes. He was a master at it and I have no doubt he would rekindle it. Say it’s crazy all you want but cal was no Saint when he came to lex many outside our program still look at him as a massive cheater. The thing about it is it’s a grand slam hire AND pitino is basically available and would crawl to Lexington. If we had an ad with a bb iq it would be a no brainer. A lot of Cals former players would even stick around. Players love pitino. We don’t need a Saint we need a friggin proven winner who we know can handle the job.

I promise you if it happened it would be the most excitement = $$$$. In our bb history. You may hate it now but if it happened would by in just like with cal.
That’s just so dumb

How bout Pitino vs Calipari in a UFC pay per view for the right to Coach Kentucky Basketball. Who ya got?

• Haha
Reactions: Ugoff
😂 This group.

Look, Rick is one of the greatest to ever do it. No denying that. His time in Lexington was my favorite. But I’m trying to envision Mitch Barnhardt pitching to his bosses and the state that the best guy for the job is a dude in his 70s (older than Rupp when he was forced to retire) who was included in an FBI investigation, ran a program that had strippers that led to vacating a championship, and was in another FBI case cause of dealing with extortion from sleeping with Karen Sypher at a restaurant.

Kumbaya , kumbaya , oh lord Kumbaya , Kumbaya Kumbaya
yes yes 1000 percent in n this . It is absolutely the quickest way to return to a national championship.
Then those camelot days will mean something again . nothing better than forgiveness and making up .
My guess is the ones that stay will not believe the difference in practices and coaching .
Would this make Reed more likely to stay ? No better coach to prepare him for the pros and his dad knows how good of a coach Pitino is .

Pitino lost to Cal with the greatest roster ever assembled according to some. Cal had Camby and 4 janitors.
Pitino also revenged that loss when it mattered the most in the F4.

If anyone is on board for keeping cal another season while you get the next coach lined up then this option is a better one. I’d rather have pitino here for 3 years than cal for another 1.

I have to wonder about a lot of our fans. Like how many live in their parents basement and play video games all day when the aren't posting on the board. What kind of person starts a thread like this?

Reactions: KFuqua and flacat22
I have to wonder about a lot of our fans. Like how many live in their parents basement and play video games all day when the aren't posting on the board. What kind of person starts a thread like this?
He’s been spewing this nonsense in various threads over the weekend. Sad thing is is that there’s a small fraction of posters that are as delusional as him and agree. 96 Pitino ain’t walking through that door.

Reactions: KFuqua
I think Pitino would be great for a few years. St. John’s should have made the tournament. The Big East was tough and got a raw deal in the tournament. The conference only got 3 teams in the tournament and they are 6-0. The Big East have won 6 of the last 12 NCAA tournaments. The SEC only has one in the last 12. The SEC was vastly overrated this year getting 8 teams in.

Pitino is still one of the best coaches in the country. He would do great here for a while. People want to hold it against him that he took the best offer available after Boston fired him. It wasn’t like UK was offering him when he took the Louisville job. Yeah, he flipped the fans off, but I’m sure they were being disrespectful to the man who saved our program and gave UK the greatest run in my lifetime.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua and dl51344
Gotta admit I’d take him back at this point. Far better than what we have now. For all of his faults, no one could question his desire to win and he’s second to none with Xs and Os.

3 year deal before he rides off into retirement. Will allow us to detox from cal’s revolving door, heal old wounds, and put our pride and tradition on center stage again. Rick probably isn’t going to win a title those years, but he can stabilize the program. We would have our pick of top assistants who want a chance to be first in line when Rick retires and the big chair opens up. The bottom line is there isn’t an obvious slam dunk hire, and I’d prefer Pitino as a steward of the program over the next few years over watching Cal burn it down.

Pitino lost to Cal with the greatest roster ever assembled according to some. Cal had Camby and 4 janitors.
Yes in the second game of the season with Delk at PG and trying to figure out a lineup. Hell our season is over now and Cal still hasn’t figured it out. Your point is moot and more than proves nothing.

Are we talking the semi-fossilized version of the guy that left us in the mid 90’s when he was on top of the world, but eventually crashed back down to Earth, only to get a cringe worthy tattoo of our most heated rival on his back?

Jokes are supposed to be funny, try again✅

Not sure why anyone wants that messed up slime-ball. He needs to stay in the northeast where he fits in. I had to work on his house phone system back in the day. He never paid. He expected everyone to give him everything. worthless.

Yeah, some teams get better as the season goes on. How did that Pitino team end the season? Calipari also beat UNC in the 2017 season and Kansas in the 2022 season but they also would go on to win national championships while Calipari choked.

I've been well documented over the years after he left Boston for UofL. That was one of the low points of my basketball fandom. It ripped out my soul seeing him fly in on Papa John's jet and the reaction of the fans there who prior, loathed him. I hated him with the glow of the sun.

That said, I would take him back in a second. He's eaten his humble pie. It would kill LilBro. An interesting dynamic.

I'm told he is quite unhappy at St. John's and feels he was misled as to their willingness to have the program built. I just think it may be a great time for the former emperor to return. I would enjoy the ride.

There's 1 coach that I can think of that I wouldn't take in Cal's place and that's Pitino. Why anyone would want that piece of garbage at UK is beyond me.

I don’t get it. My favorite era of UK basketball in my lifetime (born in 1980) was the Pitino era. But that happened when I was a child/teenager. I’m 44 now. A lot of time has passed, and rarely has looking to the past for future success worked in sports. Most coaches who return to a school or franchise for a second stint aren’t nearly as successful as the first time around.

Also, we forced Rupp to retire at 70, but are open to hiring someone to start at 71? I don’t see it.

I’d be okay with canceling next football season and using that money to cover the buyout. Restart it year after next. Only thing that would suffer is sports we don’t care about that rely on the football money 😂
Nite your damn tongue. That is the stupidest idea I have ever heard in any subject, and I have heard Putin talk about Nuking people

I don’t get it. My favorite era of UK basketball in my lifetime (born in 1980) was the Pitino era. But that happened when I was a child/teenager. I’m 44 now. A lot of time has passed, and rarely has looking to the past for future success worked in sports. Most coaches who return to a school or franchise for a second stint aren’t nearly as successful as the first time around.

Also, we forced Rupp to retire at 70, but are open to hiring someone to start at 71? I don’t see it.
Is he bringing Katrina or whatever her name is, and the girls?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT