ADVERTISEMENT

Barney has to go.

Those are really stupid comments. We can walk and chew gum at the same time. It isn’t an either or it’s trying to get a consensus of fans on board that our Athletics programs and yes an emphasis on the tradition and history of our bb program needs to be revitalized. It’s dumb as hell to say I want all the money to go to basketball. Barney made the mistake Barney needs to figure out how to fix it. You know the same guy who gave 60 mil from the athletic budget to science.
You basically want a C.M. Newton.

I would interested in knowing where you got those numbers but I have a pretty good idea. At any rate it seems to me that most UK fans are enthusiastic supporters of both sports, but do have a preference. If you are going by the boards you will obviously see a lot more activity on this board during football season, and same for Rafters during basketball season, but year round I can tell you football is of more interest on HOB then basketball is. Also I have read numerous posts from fans mostly on HOB that have said they have lost interest in basketball over the years due to one and done, lack of post season success and other factors and now favor football but I have yet to read a single post by one that says the opposite. I senses the football is growing in popularity in Kentucky while basketball is declining while basketball still may have more fans that lean towards it.

At any rate, if you live out of state like many of us do, you will realize what the meaning of the term "football conference" really is. Most SEC fans outside the state have casual at best interest in basketball. Basketball is viewed similar to what baseball might be on here. If the team you support doesn't have a competitive football program you're marginalized regardless of how good your basketball program is.

That's just how things shake in this league like it or not.
Spot on... we might as well crow about our proud rifle team tradition as hoops with LSU or Bama fans. All "UK basketball tradition" has ever garnered us from our conference foes is snickers.

Spot on... we might as well crow about our proud rifle team tradition as hoops with LSU or Bama fans. All "UK basketball tradition" has ever garnered us from our conference foes is snickers.
I’ve been saying this for years. Bringing a mean game of checkers to a chess conference

Reactions: Girthang

If one does not care about baseball, soccer, or women's volleyball, then it is easy to pretend like they don't matter. But the NCAA requires all universities to maintain at least 16 sports, and some people do care about every sport. It is closed-minded to disregard or blow off people who do, since they have just as much right to their preferences as basketball fans do.

But here is the bottom line. Football is the cash cow.

What is happening to our men's basketball program is unfortunate, and it doesn't hold up to standards built by MOST of UK's prior basketball coaches. It doesn't even hold up to the standards Cal established when he got here. If anyone actually believes Mitch Barnhart is satisfied, they aren't paying attention. But there are 33,000,000 reasons why this can't be solved with one simple step. And even though the money may exist, UK has made a decision to keep the powder dry for now. The school would rather spend it on capital improvements. If they are forced to spend money to make Cal go away, they want to pay considerably less than $30 million. They are exercising patience because they have to manage a complicated budget that funds many educational and financial priorities, and they understand how to do the job responsibly. It is anything but "very simple".

Some people understand this. Others (like the OP) don't. If one has never managed a departmental budget, it might seem "very simple" (in the OP's words) to spend a huge amount of someone else's money. The truth is that Mitch Barnhart serves under the direction of the Board of Trustees Committee on Athletics, Chaired by Mr. David Melanson. Without Mr. Melanson signing off, Mitch can't buy a new desk chair. A lot of people here (including the OP) don't believe this because they don't want to. This is a Board of Trustees decision.

Last edited:
The president of our university is a bama graduate. He has no roots in Kentucky Barney neither. Your school has a president who grew up in Georgia and went to UGA. And I understand his job but at UK the primary job is to maintain the basketball winning tradition the way at UGA is to maintain your football tradition. These are the first things that must be done by an ad at UK. This ad is tone deaf on the issue. And to boot our fb program is sliding after never even reaching a ny6. Now I’m ok with that but not at the expense of our bb program therefore we need an AD who understands the expectations of success for the basketball program for the state. Our basketball program is the representative of sports in Kentucky. There are no pro teams. The dynamics are different and when football is losing the fans won’t show. When basketball loses fans who never had a chance to afford seat will traveS from pikeville or Paducah to keep rupp packed for big games and sec. The basketball program has to be fixed barney needs to go. We need the football the primarily football fans to get on board and not be afraid of an AD who may be more centric on basketball early on. No one cares about tennis or gymnastics all of that takes care of itself. But at the university of Kentucky to allow what has happened the AD Barney needs to pay the price for his awful decisions.
You know Mitch along with Cap will be deciding the new AD. New AD with similar mindset of Mitch.

Cap and Mitch are untouchable. They. Made UKAA and hospital university.are fast growing and bring in huge amounts of cash.

a

People can say what they want about Barnhart but overall he’s basically a businessman and a good one at that. He’s made some questionable hires along with negotiating some contracts that aren’t favorable but overall the entire athletic dept is doing well imo. Most of the minor sports are much better off, softball is a perennial top 20 team, baseball is top 25 two years straight and looking better, football is competitive with two ten win seasons under his watch; the only reason bball is on a downslide is due to nothing more than Cal’s motivation and ability to coach.

I do think Barnhart probably didn’t expect this to happen when the contract was signed but neither did a majority of the fanbase. Hate it for bball as I love the sport but it’s ludicrous for anyone to think bball has been sacrificed at the expense of our football program. Bball sucks due to the fact that Cal lives by the OAD theory which worked for awhile but has destroyed the program, we’re basically a NBA farm team and he knows that if he doesn’t keep pushing these freshmen into the league that his ability to sign them out of hs will dry up. Nothing but a used car salesman.

For decades our football program suffered under terrible administrations, and this joker has the gall to throw water on football?

I feel bad for the bball players and some fans, but his tears are delicious

What’s wrong with the UKAA giving 60 million to build the new science building if the money is there? UK is a university with it's main goal of educating the people of Kentucky.
There might be 15 collegiate athletic departments in the nation that can provide real financial assistance to education. I am very proud UK is one of them, and anyone finding fault with that concept is morally deficient.

The OP’s primary argument that football has harmed basketball is divisive, factually flawed and easily proved wrong.

His secondary complaint of athletic largess being used for broader educational benefit is far worse than his factual confusion.

It is moral delusion.

LOL

I had to go post at bottom of this thread. The tone-deafness is at an “11”.

There might be 15 collegiate athletic departments in the nation that can provide real financial assistance to education. I am very proud UK is one of them, and anyone finding fault with that concept is morally deficient.

The OP’s primary argument that football has harmed basketball is divisive, factually flawed and easily proved wrong.

His secondary complaint of athletic largess being used for broader educational benefit is far worse than his factual confusion.

It is moral delusion.
Nuff said on this topic. GO CATS!!

Reactions: The-Hack
giphy.gif
Brainfart pretty stupid everone knows it

UK basketball sucks right now because our ad gave our underachieving coach a terrible contract. The only reason Barney continues to be employed are because the football team is average and makes bowl games. So yes one has to do with the other. If fb went a couple losing seasons we’d all be United. Read the tea leaves.
You have a fantastical image of Barnhart. Is he an all powerful god you’re terrified of? He’s not untouchable. He has ppl to answer to…not just on the UK org chart. Ppl with money.

He’s not running some fiefdom. He’s just not going to listen to a guy that thinks emails do something or insanely thinks Rick Pitino is the answer to all the problems.

Wasn’t it just a week ago you were crying he should’ve spent 33 million and you were gonna send angry emails? Well..looks like he knew what was going on and there were probably conversations about it with parties and ppl with money so they were assured….but not the angry email guy

It’s real simple. He built our fb program from terrible to average at the cost of our championship basketball program. I love UK fb but what’s defined our athletics is basketball success. Extreme success. Something UK fb could never bring us. It’s nearly impossible for UK to compete for an sec title now in fb. We haven’t even been to a ny6 yet this clown at AD sinks our bb program and has used his philosophy with our fb coach the 10th highest paid in the game. You can’t make this up. The last two years of fb have been subpar. I mean it’s time for all uk fb bb or whatever fans to stand shoulder to shoulder and demand Barney go. You don’t get to spend big for mediocrity and keep the job. You don’t get and give mulligan after mulligan on coaching hires and keep your job the way the man has. We need bbn to come together to oust this guy. It’s about 7 years too long for him at uk. We need a unified movement to hold the man accountable who gave cal this ridiculous contract that has ripple effects through all programs.
What rock you been living under?

In the national press he looks like a bafoon

You must be reading different articles than me. He was able to give you what you wanted without paying 33m$ at the price of a couple weeks. On top of that every coach UK would like to replace him was still coaching and wouldn't be open to leaving current job until this week, seems like a brilliant move to any rational person.

If one does not care about baseball, soccer, or women's volleyball, then it is easy to pretend like they don't matter. But the NCAA requires all universities to maintain at least 16 sports, and some people do care about every sport. It is closed-minded to disregard or blow off people who do, since they have just as much right to their preferences as basketball fans do.

But here is the bottom line. Football is the cash cow.

What is happening to our men's basketball program is unfortunate, and it doesn't hold up to standards built by MOST of UK's prior basketball coaches. It doesn't even hold up to the standards Cal established when he got here. If anyone actually believes Mitch Barnhart is satisfied, they aren't paying attention. But there are 33,000,000 reasons why this can't be solved with one simple step. And even though the money may exist, UK has made a decision to keep the powder dry for now. The school would rather spend it on capital improvements. If they are forced to spend money to make Cal go away, they want to pay considerably less than $30 million. They are exercising patience because they have to manage a complicated budget that funds many educational and financial priorities, and they understand how to do the job responsibly. It is anything but "very simple".

Some people understand this. Others (like the OP) don't. If one has never managed a departmental budget, it might seem "very simple" (in the OP's words) to spend a huge amount of someone else's money. The truth is that Mitch Barnhart serves under the direction of the Board of Trustees Committee on Athletics, Chaired by Mr. David Melanson. Without Mr. Melanson signing off, Mitch can't buy a new desk chair. A lot of people here (including the OP) don't believe this because they don't want to. This is a Board of Trustees decision.
My nomination for post of the year.👍👍👍👍👍

Not too tough.

Just go back and look at the OP!!

I am pretty simple myself, but even I know not to call someone names that just saved my school 33m.

Hope I don't get banned for this, but the BB crowd don't seem to understand the the role of the Athlectic Director is to oversee all athletic programs, not to take from every program and give to the BB program. What they seem to want is a BB director.

You’re like a child
Thanks!

“He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore,, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. ‘And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me."

Matthew 18: 2-5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doodah859
“He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore,, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. ‘And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me."

Matthew 18: 2-5.

I can't believe he is picking on you Hack. But the irony is wanting to make a comment about someone lacking intelligence and misspell the name you want to call him.

Reactions: The-Hack
I am pretty simple myself, but even I know not to call someone names that just saved my school 33m.

Hope I don't get banned for this, but the BB crowd don't seem to understand the the role of the Athlectic Director is to oversee all athletic programs, not to take from every program and give to the BB program. What they seem to want is a BB director.
Actually what we had for 70 or so years before Mitch were basketball dictators. Football was historically treated like the bastard stepchild before Mitch got here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT