ADVERTISEMENT

Bama set to hire Washington HC

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
I don’t know if this was a good hire or not, feel like there were better choices available. Time will tell though

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I don’t know if this was a good hire or not, feel like there were better choices available. Time will tell though

Who’s better? Kirby, Sark, Lanning and Norvell all said no.

I’m not entirely sold because DeBoer isn’t a southern guy, Norvell seemed a more natural fit, but FSU backed up the brinks truck.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Should be noted Washington finished 100 and something in pass defense. DeBoer had the QB/WRs at Washington to offset that, don't know if that holds up in the SEC.

BTW, former Miss St QB Will Rogers had previously transferred to Washington, will he follow DeBoer to Alabama?

104-12 record as a HC. Probably a good coach. Probably, also, recruited the west coast and not the south or nationally, as much. Might need some help in that category. When you cannot grab another traditional power’s proven winner, which most cannot, you probably need to focus on pure coaching ability. From my couch, it seemed his players like him.

It’s probably going to take a few years to see how this works out. The obvious upside is that the guy wins big wherever he goes. 3 NAIA titles at Sioux Falls, 9-3 at Fresno State in his only non-COVID season there, then took Washington from 4-8 to the national championship game in 2 years.

The question marks will be his ability to field an SEC quality defense given that his Washington teams ranked 73rd and 78th respectively in opponents’ yards per play, and his ability to recruit the South with no obvious connections in the region. The infrastructure and name value that Alabama already has should help get him up to speed with the latter, but you get the feeling that his pick for defensive coordinator will be pretty important due to the former.

Overall, I think he’s a pretty good hire given what was realistically available, but certainly not a sure thing.

He may be a great coach for Bama, he also may not... Time will tell, but I think the other men who were offered did not want to follow Saban and be compared to him... It's going to be tuff to any coach to live up to that standard..

GBB

Reactions: TM2013

I’m not entirely sold because DeBoer isn’t a southern guy, Norvell seemed a more natural fit, but FSU backed up the brinks truck.
Alabama is a southern guy and they do a pretty good job of recruiting themselves.

It seems like Kiffen wasn't considered. He would have been my first call. He is already suceeding in the SEC. He would have crushed it at Bama.
This is a really common opinion. I’m honestly not as high on Kiffin as most other people seem to be though. 34-15 (20-13 in the SEC) isn’t necessarily bad since it’s Ole Miss and not Alabama or Georgia, but it’s not really overwhelming enough to convince me that a guy with high profile flops at places like Tennessee and USC on his resume has transformed himself into a coach who’s far and away better than the other options either.

That’s not even getting into the fact that his off field style of sending troll tweets and dating women barely older than his daughter could potentially cause some reservations from administration about making him the face of the program or that he allegedly burned some bridges behind the scenes during his tenure as offensive coordinator. As an Alabama fan when they aren’t playing Kentucky, I’m honestly fine with steering clear of him.

I don't think they had a better option at this point. Big name recently, winner and couldn't get the first few guys they wanted.

The man is 104-12. He has proven he can flat out win. Took over a 4-8 Washington program and in 2 yrs had them playing for a National Championship. Bama could have done a lot worse

Agree. He was as good as they could get. Kirby was by far the best but he wasnt leaving. I don't think lanning was ever offered. Sark was a risk. Lane just doesn't like the non football stuff.

Deboer wins everywhere he goes and he does it via a process which is very much the focus Saban had. His Washington team had no business making the title game. They had talent at spots but major holes elsewhere. I was very impressed with that staff in the playoffs because both Texas and Michigan should've blown them out.

No he won't be Saban but he's as good as they could've gotten. I definitely think that

Once upon a Time Kentucky basketball took the hot name in coaching. Hope Alabama knows what they're doing well not really I hope they don't LOL
I feel good about their decision. What a glorious day to be in the SEC

Reactions: drawing_dead
These AD's have got to stop looking at the flavor of the week type coaches like Washington's. Not saying the guys not a good coach but everytime the guy thats the hot one at the moment gets the gig and 9 times out of ten it doesnt work out. Penix was a game changer QB. Had a tough championship game but was still a game changer. They won several very close games and if a couple of those go the other way no way Deboor is on the list.

Should be noted Washington finished 100 and something in pass defense. DeBoer had the QB/WRs at Washington to offset that, don't know if that holds up in the SEC.

BTW, former Miss St QB Will Rogers had previously transferred to Washington, will he follow DeBoer to Alabama?
I like Rogers but Milroe is number one there right?

Reactions: Blouman
This guy is a winner. Period. His record speaks for itself.

Remember that old adage, " you are who your record says you are"?

104-12??? That's crazy. He has won at every level. If you watched the playoffs, his offense was amazing. Washington was the least talented team in the playoffs and his scheme and coaching made them more than competitive with the "big boys".

He may fail at Bama. If so, it will probably be more because of the idiot Bama fans than his coaching ability.

These AD's have got to stop looking at the flavor of the week type coaches like Washington's. Not saying the guys not a good coach but everytime the guy thats the hot one at the moment gets the gig and 9 times out of ten it doesnt work out. Penix was a game changer QB. Had a tough championship game but was still a game changer. They won several very close games and if a couple of those go the other way no way Deboor is on the list.

He immediately won everywhere, at every level. Don't see how he can be considered flavor of the month.

He's kind of like that overnight musical sensation that struggled in dive bars for years before their big break

Once upon a Time Kentucky basketball took the hot name in coaching. Hope Alabama knows what they're doing well not really I hope they don't LOL
I feel good about their decision. What a glorious day to be in the SEC
That’s a bit of a stretch to compare a guy who lost in the Sweet 16 to a guy that lost in the national championship game.

They never ask Kirby, St least not after Saban retired. They are close and Saban may have prior to the announcement.

Reactions: Blouman
This kind of seems like Auburns hiring of Brain Harsin, he was a good coach too, but he had no ties to the south and there were communication issues according to some around the program. There is no doubt he is a good coach, but Alabama is a different monster, time will tell.

The bigger question is how nuts will Bama go if he's not in a NY6 bowl next year. Luckily auburn is garbage when he's coming in.

Will be interesting to see how he recruits. Saban had 10 #1 classes and was never outside the top 5. Just beyond a top 10 finishes you middle of the pack in the SEC.

This kind of seems like Auburns hiring of Brain Harsin, he was a good coach too, but he had no ties to the south and there were communication issues according to some around the program. There is no doubt he is a good coach, but Alabama is a different monster, time will tell.
Nope. Harsin was overrated because of the foundation left by Chris Peterson.

Bryan Harsin had a worse record than both his predecessors at Boise State. It was a bizarre hire by Auburn, and I thought that at the time. Absolutely no comparison between Harsin and DeBoer IMO.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
The bigger question is how nuts will Bama go if he's not in a NY6 bowl next year. Luckily auburn is garbage when he's coming in.

Will be interesting to see how he recruits. Saban had 10 #1 classes and was never outside the top 5. Just beyond a top 10 finishes you middle of the pack in t
I read that, under Saban, every recruit who stayed for four (4) years ended up with a national championship ring. Incredible !!!

Harsin didn't think recruiting was important, that his schemes would overcome talent. It might have in the conference Boise was in. But there are some coaches in SEC that are pretty good x and o guys too.

Harsin didn't think recruiting was important, that his schemes would overcome talent. It might have in the conference Boise was in. But there are some coaches in SEC that are pretty good x and o guys too.
Didn't help that his wifey HATED the Southern culture

I disagree, respectfully.... He's been a winner everywhere he's been. And whereas "past performance doesn't guarantee future..." (ala stock market and a fund manager), it makes great sense to go with a proven talent ...

These guys are super football minds, goes without saying... and I suspect he knows how to surround himself with talented coaches/recruiters, too.... They have a vision and purpose of effort...

Reactions: sluggercatfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT