ADVERTISEMENT

Worst hire than Billy G. If true

This is absolutely ridiculous .
If hired to keep 1 player onboard ridiculous.
We will never get another 5 star.
If you wanted a ex Kentucky player, there were plenty of more in front of him.
He better hire Derrick Anderson or Winston Bennet
This is a total failure.
Why exactly do you think he won't get 5* players?

This is a total failure.
Please go be a fan of some other team.

looking at resumes and body of work, this is a worse hire. Billy G got some top recruits and made it to the sweet 16. Pope has never won a NCAA tournament game.

This is not even on the same plain as the Gillespie hire. Pope understands Kentucky, and what he is stepping into. Billy Clyde was immediately overwhelmed, and it led to him leaning into an addiction that escalated very quickly and became incredibly destructive.

Pope is certainly not the type of hire I was expecting. There are at least three coaches in the SEC alone that I would have preferred. Having said that, Pope understands Kentucky, he runs a modern, NBA style offense that I feel will be a great fit, and he has shown the ability to identify/develop talent in the portal. Those could add up to success.

Pope being hired is a bit of a disappointment, but it is a much better hire than BCG.

Comparing Pope to BCG is just silly. And moronic. Pope is a highly intelligent, high character guy. We all know what Billy was.

I have a feeling this is going to work out very well.

Last edited:
looking at resumes and body of work, this is a worse hire. Billy G got some top recruits and made it to the sweet 16. Pope has never won a NCAA tournament game.
Why is that such a big deal? Pope hasn’t coached at a school with the resources and resume of UK. I predict he wins NCAA tournament games regularly after he’s been here a couple years. Time will tell, but we need to support the guy. Publicly hating on Barnhart for “hiring” Pope is in effect pulling your support for Pope by saying he’s not good enough.

Reactions: Ky_Bred_Cat
This is a total failure.
Absolutely ridiculous statement. Mark Pope is a much better person with much less baggage. The deal is done, BBN unite and give him a chance.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
This board is ridiculous.

Pope deserves a shot. If he fails, so be it. There was obviously an issue with guys after the Top 2. Pope wouldn't have been my top choice but also wouldn't have been my last.

If the boosters are going to support NIL then we will be fine. Pope can coach basketball.

This is a total failure.
You sound like a Duke fan when they hired a 35-year old former player as coach with zero head coaching experience.

Or UNC when they hired former player Hubert Davis who had... Wait for it... Zero head coaching experience.

Or Syracuse who hired Adrian Autry, a former player who had... You guessed it...

Zero head coaching experience.

Reactions: coachcombs57
This is a total failure.
You really don't understand how things work. Recruiting DOES NOT matter. MONEY matters. If we pay more we will get the players, we pay less, we won't get the good players

That’s a decent answer. But the dude hasn’t been anywhere near college basketball since he got drummed out in the 80s for the Chris Mills scandal.

I suppose we could’ve also taken a run at Pat Riley if we’re including geriatric former NBA
Okay, give me a list of ex-Kentucky players that are ahead of Pope.
Dwayne Casey, Travis Ford, John Pelphrey, Winston Bennett, Shawn Woods, Pat Riley and ex assistants Leonard Hamilton and Billy D, hell at this rate bring Tubby or Rick back

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT