ADVERTISEMENT

Bama set to hire Washington HC

This kind of seems like Auburns hiring of Brain Harsin, he was a good coach too, but he had no ties to the south and there were communication issues according to some around the program. There is no doubt he is a good coach, but Alabama is a different monster, time will tell.
Not even close. Alabama actually wanted DeBoer and he has the support. Auburn and their boosters were undermining Bryan Harsin from the very first day he was hired. The man never even had a chance.

DeBoer is a far superior coach and has done it in a P5 conference. His record at Washington was 10-1 against top 25 teams. He's 12-2 against top 25 teams overall (Washington and Fresno State) with a national championship appearance.

Reactions: UKat1 and gojvc
This guy is a winner. Period. His record speaks for itself.

Remember that old adage, " you are who your record says you are"?

104-12??? That's crazy. He has won at every level. If you watched the playoffs, his offense was amazing. Washington was the least talented team in the playoffs and his scheme and coaching made them more than competitive with the "big boys".

He may fail at Bama. If so, it will probably be more because of the idiot Bama fans than his coaching ability.
Yeah I have to admit that record is impressive and does show he can coach. He may be one that has real coaching ability to make it work but I just know there have been a bunch that seemed to but just got on a quick run to where everyone thought they were the latest coaching genius out there and had to have them.

Reactions: cathouse
Yeah I have to admit that record is impressive and does show he can coach. He may be one that has real coaching ability to make it work but I just know there have been a bunch that seemed to but just got on a quick run to where everyone thought they were the latest coaching genius out there and had to have them.
It will be nearly impossible to follow Saban and make the Bama fans happy.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
The fact that he was successful at lower divisions is nice, but I am not sure it means a lot. People saying he will absolutely succeed because of his record are just guessing. None of his accomplishments guarantee success in the SEC. I think it was a huge risk and there are better candidates. Bama hates Kiffin the same way Barnhart didn't want Cal. He hired Billy Gilispe instead and when he flamed out Mike Pratt bailed out Barnhart and flew Cal up here.

I think his chances of success are lower than his chances of failure. We could be looking at a Dallas Cowboy level melt down here.

Reactions: UKat1
The fact that he was successful at lower divisions is nice, but I am not sure it means a lot. People saying he will absolutely succeed because of his record are just guessing. None of his accomplishments guarantee success in the SEC. I think it was a huge risk and there are better candidates. Bama hates Kiffin the same way Barnhart didn't want Cal. He hired Billy Gilispe instead and when he flamed out Mike Pratt bailed out Barnhart and flew Cal up here.

I think his chances of success are lower than his chances of failure. We could be looking at a Dallas Cowboy level melt down here.
Making the national championship game at Washington is pretty high level to me.

I agree, he has a much greater chance to fail at Bama, but it will not be because he is not a good college coach or that he hasn't won at a high level.

Making the national championship game at Washington is pretty high level to me.

I agree, he has a much greater chance to fail at Bama, but it will not be because he is not a good college coach or that he hasn't won at a high level.

The problem is at Bama he can go 10-2, not make SEC championship game andvhi seat gets warm. Go 9-3 and car windows get broken. Good or bad Saban created expectations that will be almost impossible for him to reach. Conference is stronger than it was when Saban took over. In 24, there us at least 6 teams expecting to make the playoffs and everyone but Vandy believes they can get in.

Reactions: UKat1 and cathouse
The problem is at Bama he can go 10-2, not make SEC championship game andvhi seat gets warm. Go 9-3 and car windows get broken. Good or bad Saban created expectations that will be almost impossible for him to reach. Conference is stronger than it was when Saban took over. In 24, there us at least 6 teams expecting to make the playoffs and everyone but Vandy believes they can get in.
There is no way he nor anyone else will be able to match Saban's success at Bama since 07.
Especially with Texas and OK joining the conference. I don't even think Saban can match his own level of expectations by the fans.

I really think that had a lot to do with Saban retirement. Quit while you are still considered the goat.

The future is not bright for continuing that level of success even for Saban.

There is no way he nor anyone else will be able to match Saban's success at Bama since 07.
Especially with Texas and OK joining the conference. I don't even think Saban can match his own level of expectations by the fans.

I really think that had a lot to do with Saban retirement. Quit while you are still considered the goat.

The future is not bright for continuing that level of success even for Saban.

There is just expectations there he won't be able to match. Too many changes, NIL, the portal and conference additions make that near impossible. The 12 team playoff will give 2 loss teams a chance.

Reactions: cathouse
Overall good hire. Whether it's great only time will tell. It's definitely a hire for the times. Offensive guy runs a modern highly productive and entertaining offense. Huskies have pros all over the place, the QB was wildly popular and fun to watch, the WRs are NFL caliber...that will resonate with recruits in portal and high school.

You take that style and put the caliber of athlete Bama can command...good night Irene. It could be fireworks for the tide. Now the question is, can his defensive guy hang in the SEC?

He's got 20 years if the tide will be patient. Can he win 7? Who knows? 4-5 isn't wildly unrealistic.

Expanded play offs gives him wider margin for error. He can stumble in the reg season and still get in and anything can happen from there.

Joel Klatt on fox said he's got it on pretty good authority that Sark was the guy until Texas came calling and threw a wrench into the succession plan. Did Bama call him? Were they even allowed to call him or did the Longhorns close rank, form a phalanx around him and not allow any kind of communication to penetrate?

Regardless they got one of the best coaches in the game right now who was just in the national championship.

Last edited:
Overall good hire. Whether it's great only time will tell. It's definitely a hire for the times. Offensive guy runs a modern highly productive and entertaining offense. Huskies have pros all over the place, the QB was wildly popular and fun to watch, the WRs are NFL caliber...that will resonate with recruits in portal and high school.

You take that style and put the caliber of athlete Bama can command...good night Irene. It could be fireworks for the tide. Now the question is, can his defensive guy hang in the SEC?

He's got 20 years if the tide will be patient. Can he win 7? Who knows? 4-5 isn't wildly unrealistic.

Expanded play offs gives him wider margin for error. He can stumble in the reg season and still get in and anything can happen from there.

Joel Klatt on fox said he's got it on pretty good authority that Sark was the guy until Texas came calling and threw a wrench into the succession plan. Did Bama call him? We're they even allowed to call him or did the Longhorns close rank, form a phalanx around him and not allow any kind of communication to penetrate?

Regardless they got one of the best coaches in the game right now who was just in the national championship.

Yet that offense looked inept against Mich. Run the ball and play defense and control the clock still wins championships. But everyone wants teams flying up and down the field. to

Yet that offense looked inept against Mich. Run the ball and play defense and control the clock still wins championships. But everyone wants teams flying up and down the field. to

This Michigan team is an odd outlier in more ways than one.

They weren't a top ranked rush, pass, 3rd down, nor redzone offense...

A historically dominating D though that is up there with the defenses from the glory days of "Da U" and Saban's peak Bama Ds.

Big10 had a great defensive year overall. OSU, PSU right behind Michigan and Iowa was #7. They all got embarrassed though so let's not call it a comeback on defensive football just yet...but I digress, back to Michigan...

They essentially were a one-dimensional team.

I mean how about that for bet at the beginning of the year?

The national champion will not be top 20ish in rushing, passing, 3rd down, or really even redzone, their coach will be suspended 6 games, have a cheating scandal, and be linked to every NFL opening.

Reactions: CrimsonCats

Bama should've hired Kiffin, I believe He would continue the winning. He knows how the admin want the program run, he can recruit, can coach and even though his mouth can get him in trouble......he's a winner.

At least it appears Eric Wolford wasn't retained by the new coaching staff. Good. Serves him well for the way he left UK two years ago. The next job he applies for, he'll have to answer for why Bama's O-Line was so pedestrian. He won't get to personally benefit from the work John Schlarman did this time around. I can't imagine people will come beating down his door. He didn't exactly set the world on fire at Bama, despite having a roster of 4 and 5 star players.

Reactions: entropy13
At least it appears Eric Wolford wasn't retained by the new coaching staff. Good. Serves him well for the way he left UK two years ago. The next job he applies for, he'll have to answer for why Bama's O-Line was so pedestrian. He won't get to personally benefit from the work John Schlarman did this time around. I can't imagine people will come beating down his door. He didn't exactly set the world on fire at Bama, despite having a roster of 4 and 5 star players.
Maybe UK can hire him back

• Haha
Reactions: entropy13
Bama should've hired Kiffin, I believe He would continue the winning. He knows how the admin want the program run, he can recruit, can coach and even though his mouth can get him in trouble......he's a winner.
Kiffin has been a winner at times, and others, not so much, and he has been twice canned. DeBoer has a 100% success rate as a head coach. NAIA is probably irrelevant, but he's 2 for 2 in Division 1. So Kiffin might STILL be a better choice but I can't say that Alabama dropped the ball on a no brainer.

From everything I've seen Deboer was top 3 of 4 coaches on their opening list. He wasn't a reach or last ditch effort. Whether he succeeds or fails is TBD but Bama wanted this guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT