ADVERTISEMENT

Bad C-rod news ...potentially

Barnhart did not hire Morriss, he inherited him from Larry Ivy. He decided to keep him after the players petitioned to keep him but Baylor came along and UK would not match the money. The Brooks hire in hindsight, was brilliant. The scholarship sanctions didn't start to be felt until Brooks' first year. I remember hearing at the time that Morriss had not signed a single lineman his final season and maybe just a couple the year before. If true, that augured disaster for any team, let alone one handcuffed by sanctions.

Urban legend says we came this close to getting Bill Parcells at the time too but that might have been as much a fantasy as UT fans thinking Jon Gruden was coming there. Brooks was an experienced solid coach at the end of his career who wasn't going to leave until the job was finished. If you think the Brooks hire set us back, you're out of your mind. Especially at UK, where moments of football glory have been as common as waiting to see Haley's Comet.

You named 5 guys over a 20 year career and Morris wasn't his hire. Brooks took over when UK was still a mess from Hal Mumm's misdeeds, no up and coming coach wanted ghe job so he hired Brooks who was closing a career, and he did ok considering what was happening. Even Bama couldn't survive major sanctions. Joker was clearly a bad hire, gone in 3 years and now Stoops is the man. I don't think you can count the first 5-6 years because of probation.

Cal's job is to win BB games, he does that alot, sure he has had some disappointing losses, but other coaches are trying to win too. I guess UK can probably target anyone and have a decent shot of getting them, but how do you fire a coach winning as much as Cal does?

It appears many aren't fans of his. Whe he retires. Who are you going to replace him with? Whoever it is will have quite the legacy to keep going.
EVERY UK bb coach has a legacy to keep going. There's been 5 different coaches win a NC at UK. If ES hadn't had his off the court issues, I think it would be six. How many dud hires has Ala, LSU, Auburn, ND , etc. made in hiring FB coaches with endless $$$$. As far as CCC, be careful what you ask for! He's turning arguably the most storied bb program in the history of Cbb into a joke . Who can replace Calipari? The guy is out there, and I just hope the next one has winning as his main priority. MB may not be the best, but he sure doesn't have us in a situation like U6 and lots of folks thought they had the best AD in the history of college sports.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
I agree, but so fat which teams with the right coaches are fully involved with NIL? If Jimbo lucks into another Jamis he might, otherwise he is a 4 loss coach, Cristobol's teams play soft which is surprising considering he is an old OL. Riley is the most likely of the group to be successful, Satterfield hasn't done anything to impress anyone. UT's offense is simple, it relies on snapping before the defense is ready. It's why teams adjust and up until now has regressed every year, will that be true again this year. Who knows.

But Bama has killed the portal, will have 4 offensive starters from the portal and at least2 on defense. But the toothpaste is out of the tube and not going back in.
Ala, Aa... I've always laughed at fans getting upset at beating Bama. My answer is always the same. Who is in the SEC? Oh, there are some wannabes- pretenders. Worry about the rest of the league and UK will be just fine

Barnhart did not hire Morriss, he inherited him from Larry Ivy. He decided to keep him after the players petitioned to keep him but Baylor came along and UK would not match the money. The Brooks hire in hindsight, was brilliant. The scholarship sanctions didn't start to be felt until Brooks' first year. I remember hearing at the time that Morriss had not signed a single lineman his final season and maybe just a couple the year before. If true, that augured disaster for any team, let alone one handcuffed by sanctions.

Urban legend says we came this close to getting Bill Parcells at the time too but that might have been as much a fantasy as UT fans thinking Jon Gruden was coming there. Brooks was an experienced solid coach at the end of his career who wasn't going to leave until the job was finished. If you think the Brooks hire set us back, you're out of your mind. Especially at UK, where moments of football glory have been as common as waiting to see Haley's Comet.
Reports at time were that he was ready to come when Jerry Jones called. Don't think that's a legend.

Always a risk when you bring an alumni home, and sure he shouldn't have called fans a name. Things don't happen overnight, UK football was bad finishing off sanctions and years of recovering from those sanctions.
I think he has been a very solid AD for UK. I was just giving you some of the back story behind some fan's dislike for him.

Ala, Aa... I've always laughed at fans getting upset at beating Bama. My answer is always the same. Who is in the SEC? Oh, there are some wannabes- pretenders. Worry about the rest of the league and UK will be just fine
Not sure what you are talking about.

Jauk is aULfan playing on our board. He beats the same dead horse every time he speaks. We get it Jauk. Go back to your own board. You just wish UL had an AD as good as Mitch. This new guy could turn out to be pretty good. Stay in your own lane.

Everyone has a boss, you know that as well as anyone. Uike the rest of the SEC men's BB was king at UK, it was the sport not to mess with, that came from above even the president. AD'S were former BB coaches. He couldn't change things overnight, but he changed it, he has the football program headed where UK fans want it, it's stable and multiple programs are in the national championship hunt every year. CMS didn't get the football program turned around overnight either. IF UK decided to part ways with ADMB, who would it hire who would be an upgrade? As for elevating all programs I don't think there is a better AD in the conference.
I 3s+ don't have a boss.
I like him too. I just have a hard time finding anything to criticize ADMB about, he is upper level for an AD.
Noone here wants UK to abuse the rule. But you have to be willing to unshackle people so they can use innovative approaches to play within the rules.

Instead Mitch takes a wait and see approach. Wait on what? It isn't going away. It can't because there is legally nothing they can do. So why continue to hold back our coaches and watch our recruiting decline? It's stupid.

Always a risk when you bring an alumni home, and sure he shouldn't have called fans a name. Things don't happen overnight, UK football was bad finishing off sanctions and years of recovering from those sanctions.
And the first DECADE on the jpb he did NOTHING extra to bring us back, name ONE thing besides the bare minimum for football, he took all the money football cleared and invested it in his pursuit of his ADs All Sports trophy. when if he had reinvested it in football we would have had MORE money to invest in the minor sports. Instead he starved football to death, and twe seasons with two ooc nobody wins, .losing 20,000 season iicket holders, and FIVE seasons in a row with no bowl games was starving it to death.

They sposed to be SEC.

It's crackin me up that anyone is focusing on the "5 bad years" without bowl games. The hire of Rich Brooks was HUGE for the football program. If the squeaky wheels supporting UK Basketball hadnt delayed the recruiting facility, Mitch wouldve had it built. BUT...

The 3 bad years got us CMS. If the timing had been different, we might have peaked at 8 wins without this staff. There's no way to know. We could keep repeating the same bich and whine or we could keep looking forward. Which is the smart move?

Last edited:
You could very well be right about the NIL deal. But with only a handful of schools abusing the rule, and you know who they, the other 120 D1 schools could vote them out. Let them play the other 7-8 teams. Will that happen, not likely, but playing in the NCAA is not a right. It's an option

Handful?

How many schools had kids committed to them that already had them promised or signed to NIL deals? That's inducement. No 2 ways around it. More than a handful of recruits and schools by a long way, unless I read 20-40 articles that were completely (factually) incorrect.

Of course that's possible today, but seems unlikely given the confirmations of what the articles said

Handful?

How many schools had kids committed to them that already had them promised or signed to NIL deals? That's inducement. No 2 ways around it. More than a handful of recruits and schools by a long way, unless I read 20-40 articles that were completely (factually) incorrect.

Of course that's possible today, but seems unlikely given the confirmations of what the articles said

By a handful i am talking about schools abusing the process, maybe your and my idea of abusing are 2 different things. Clearly there are more than a handful using NIL, but I think the vast majority are using it as it was intended. Right now, the only schools I see who are clearly abusing it are A&M, Miami, Lousiville, USC and UT. Maybe I am wrong on that, we have some guys on the team who have some deals with local places, but no one is near the 7 figure number. Ohio State has always recruited well, ND has always recruited well, has a new young energetic AA coach, of course they will recruit well.

Reactions: UKat1
If it can be done in “pro” sports, why not college.

The limit would have to be very high, though, likely in the 7 figure range.
Because it does not stop players from maximizing on their NIL. No pro league caps a player’s ability to make money away from the game. Because we have not called this salary or a contract for hire, no cap can be installed.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I won’t go into too much detail about jauk and the past BUT, the pictures of the card tables and projection screen in the Nutter center were very riveting at the time - I honestly never thought we’d get to this point but it took someone like CMS to get it done.

So, I guess one could argue that MB is legit since he hired CMS.
But he didn't find CMS, CMS found UK and had the plan AND recruiter to take advantage of the hundreds of millions the OTHYER programs were responsible for.

The five years without a bowl game did NOTHING to bring in the huge SEC distribution that was/is due to the OTHER SEC schools that saw the coming MONEY COW,

Jauk is aULfan playing on our board. He beats the same dead horse every time he speaks. We get it Jauk. Go back to your own board. You just wish UL had an AD as good as Mitch. This new guy could turn out to be pretty good. Stay in your own lane.
I wish UofL had Barney also and i hate UofL !!

Pretty ridiculous this rumor leaked out 6 weeks ago and zero official word about CRod one way or another now that it is damn July

It is one thing for JRowland to talk about it on a premium message board. Quite another for a media outlet broadcast statewide to give this airtime. I'd say shame on him, but he has no shame, or decency, or morals.

Pretty ridiculous this rumor leaked out 6 weeks ago and zero official word about CRod one way or another now that it is damn July

It is one thing for JRowland to talk about it on a premium message board. Quite another for a media outlet broadcast statewide to give this airtime. I'd say shame on him, but he has no shame, or decency, or morals.
Their slogan is facts are optional so what should you expect?

Reactions: JHB4UK
I'm sure he means from UK. Supposedly his main problem isn't from a legal issue. It isn't the DUI

Imo it isn't legal or we'd know and it isn't grades or we'd know (and he graduated). The only thing left is participation/eligibility issues. The NCAA is virtually neutered on the issue so the only real possibility is that UK found him out of compliance with their nil standards or practice, requiring pre-approval of all nil deals.

If that's what it is, then the only scenario I can think of is he had a job where the school classified the amount of pay as nil but he didn't. Because of that disagreement it was never presented for pre-approval and the school views him as noncompliant.

That's all just a guess but I think it's just about the only plausible scenario for what's going/went on.

I'm sure he means from UK. Supposedly his main problem isn't from a legal issue. It isn't the DUI
Thanks. That being the case, doubt we'll hear anything till the players report in August and then expect it will be as vague as possible.

Love watching CRod run but the fact we’re wondering which of his issues might be the cause of his up to year long suspension is incredibly annoying. Kid needs to get his ish together he’s got a ton of opportunity in front of him.

Stoops is going to be speaking with local & national news sources as part of SEC media days in a couple weeks. Most media folks at these events are smart enough to ask about CRod status, is he on the team, will he play all games, or is he suspended some if not all. A vague "we are evaluating his situation" won't be accepted, people want to set and bet their win expectancies.

"We don't need to know", yeah, that is the fraking point. If there was nothing decided then whoever at UK was blabbing their stupid fat mouth back in May should have kept it closed. Not to mention media if they had no clue either.

It's something bad!
But not criminal bad!
It involved the Bama WR tfer too!
So bad he's out all yr!
No wait only so bad he is out 4!
Maybe nil bad, while recruits are bragging on how much they were bought for!

Reactions: Girthang and jauk11
Stoops is going to be speaking with local & national news sources as part of SEC media days in a couple weeks. Most media folks at these events are smart enough to ask about CRod status, is he on the team, will he play all games, or is he suspended some if not all. A vague "we are evaluating his situation" won't be accepted, people want to set and bet their win expectancies.

"We don't need to know", yeah, that is the fraking point. If there was nothing decided then whoever at UK was blabbing their stupid fat mouth back in May should have kept it closed. Not to mention media if they had no clue either.

It's something bad!
But not criminal bad!
It involved the Bama WR tfer too!
So bad he's out all yr!
No wait only so bad he is out 4!
Maybe nil bad, while recruits are bragging on how much they were bought for!
Mark Stoops: "Chris has some things to clean up." LOL

1. Taking Ramon Jefferson, to me, is a pretty final nail in CRod playing for UK coffin. There is zilch reason to get another RB if CRod is in the huddle and trying to find snaps for McClain, Smoke, Donut and Wright.
2. This smells like CRod got caught up in a NIL scuttlebutt that was outside UK's policy or maybe got caught entangled with gambling on games (which is a huge no no).

Nothing else adds up at this point....but it's beyond past time to release the information. This has been one of the best kept secrets of UK that I can remember.

EVERY UK bb coach has a legacy to keep going. There's been 5 different coaches win a NC at UK. If ES hadn't had his off the court issues, I think it would be six. How many dud hires has Ala, LSU, Auburn, ND , etc. made in hiring FB coaches with endless $$$$. As far as CCC, be careful what you ask for! He's turning arguably the most storied bb program in the history of Cbb into a joke . Who can replace Calipari? The guy is out there, and I just hope the next one has winning as his main priority. MB may not be the best, but he sure doesn't have us in a situation like U6 and lots of folks thought they had the best AD in the history of college sports.
Sutton inherited a dirty athletics department. That was his downfall.

Reactions: The-Hack
One game suspension seems fair and complete courses
Zero game suspension and handle other punishment in house.
No need to punish the entire team for his error in judgment.
No other school in the SEC would suspend their star player for an off season DUI. CRod is of age. This is not an underage kid getting drunk.

No need to punish him like he is a child. Time to pay the court cost and fine and move on.

Zero game suspension and handle other punishment in house.
No need to punish the entire team for his error in judgment.
No other school in the SEC would suspend their star player for an off season DUI. CRod is of age. This is not an underage kid getting drunk.

No need to punish him like he is a child. Time to pay the court cost and fine and move on.
I agree I just predict a one gamer mandated by Mitch

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT