ADVERTISEMENT

Freddie Maggard article……

I think a lot of people are feeling this way.
First, I have not read this article. Second I hate NIL - because of what it has become. UK may do well with it - and I hope they do - but I still think the way it is a bad situation. I have a few ideas that I think would be fair and make everyone be more loyal to players, coaches and the fans. Here are some ideas I think would be better:

1. Change the scholarship rules to two years. Players, once committed to a school must stay two years - however, the same rules as to transfers in regard to coaching changes. If a player doesn't want to honor the second year - he sits out one year and then becomes eligible again. This would remove a lot of tampering and give the coaches and the player a chance to see where he "really" is with the program.

2. After the two years are up - then a player may transfer immediately or sign up for another two years - but again he must sign up for two years at the same or new school - unless he only has one year of eligibility left. Same transfer rules - if he chooses to transfer after one year- he can - but he must set out the next season. Again, this would keep more players in place and build better teams and more fan support.

NIL is going to be with us - so the players will get whatever the market will offer him. But schools will then know they are on the hook for two years - regardless of how the player performs. This plan would basically eliminate most players from playing for more than 2 programs, but 3 would still be possible.

3. The other thing is this - and I don't want to sound mean here - but all exceptions for additional years should be reduced to a maximum of 5 years to play 4 period! Red Shirt or medical exception be one year total. If a player still wants to play football or any other sport - its time for him to truly go pro after 5 years!

To me this is an easy and simple solution. The players still have NIL and schools and coaches have more stability. It also eliminates a lot of tampering and bad feelings towards players, coaches and other programs. A player and a coach should know the value of the team and the player to each team at the end of 2 years. Players should know if they like the school and the coaches and vice versa for the coaches.

Will this prevent players from making money - NO! Will it stop transfers of unhappy players - No! Will it create more stability in programs - Yes! Will the teams with unlimited funds have access to the better players - of course! However, coaches will have time to show the players that the program is committed to them - the players that are showing professional abilities will be evaluated fairly and hopefully understand that as an example $50,000 at one school could be worth more than $100,000 at another school. That would depend on where the player sees himself in the future. Professional or someone who wants to settle down where he is playing and appreciate the value of alumni and business contacts to that player for the rest of his life!

Go Big Blue!

Reactions: Tskware
Oh
Because a coach can coach at a different school every year for his entire career if he wants (and, obviously, has the opportunity).

Without collective bargaining, very few player restriction rules that the NCAA can come up with would hold up in court. The only way to stop it would be to make the players employees (they already fit the definition, they just aren't for reasons), give them a piece of the b-b-b-billions they generate in revenue, and sign them to contracts.
come on say it, say the U word lol

I love that the best solution to the chaos in college football is a players union, and a bunch old crotchety men who’ve been told unions are bad now will need to embrace it

Yeah, I think the article sums up everything.

One could assume, Nick Saban probably would share a lot of the same sentiments if he we're to put pen to paper about why he's rolling out. Harbaugh prefers the NFL for the same reasons.

The biggest problem with CFB isn't necessarily all the changes, but the lack of organization and direction.

NIL, portal, recruiting seasons...I don't know that any of them are inherently bad, but I don't think coaches or athletic departments in general are set up to deal with all that.

Pro teams have front offices separate from coaching staff to deal with all that extra off field stuff. There's a GM, assistant GM, scouting department etc.. separate from coaching staff who keeps up with contracts, negotiating, free agency, recruiting/scouting, putting together a roster.

It's not a college sport anymore and doesn't need to be treated as such. It's a gigantic industry that's outgrown its association collegiate/academic extracurricular activity status.

Kind of like Disney is no longer a cartoon, Wal-Mart is no longer a Ma and Pa grocery store in Arkansas, and Google outgrew the garage...

Reactions: Docpath1972
Just to add some content to this topic, 25 million folks watched the national championship Mon night. Fox & ESPN set ratings records this season.

Totally understand those uncomfortable where CFB is going, and individually it hurts their interest. But fans overall are saying CFB has never been more popular and want to watch. And a whole lot of network executives bet a whole lot of money the watching will only go up in the future.......not stay the same, certainly not go down.
That's all mostly due to legalized sports gambling imo....people want all the action they can get. Only reason for all the meaningless bowls too. You want to know who runs the ncaa and sporting world really? Vegas does

Reactions: K_TIME
That's all mostly due to legalized sports gambling imo....people want all the action they can get. Only reason for all the meaningless bowls too. You want to know who runs the ncaa and sporting world really? Vegas does
Good point...I wonder with gambling so much more prominent...does that push up ratings currently but not in years past.

Good point...I wonder with gambling so much more prominent...does that push up ratings currently but not in years past.
Had not thought of that angle, but makes a lot of sense to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT