ADVERTISEMENT

Askew surprising coaches

Said it from day one, Kentucky teams do not *need* to have the fastest or most athletic PG. Chances are the other 4 positions will be better, athletically, than our opponent. We need Askew to take care of the ball, communicate, run the offense, and be at least decent shooting the ball to keep defenses honest.

I think Askew has the chance to be like a Tyler Ulis type guard. And that should make all of us excited.

I came her to say, "In before the Josh Carrier Cynics" but the thread had already been up three minutes.

Askew has a chance to be in the top half of PGs for Cal at Kentucky, and considering the talent he's had at that position, that ain't bad.

Sorry, I just don't see it. I'm sure Cal will make him serviceable. But I'd be surprised if he turns out to be one of the top several point guards in the league. I certainly hope I'm wrong.

Wheweee, the mouth on that double.mo who commented on that Instagram. Momma needs to wash his mouth out with bleach

Reactions: BBUK
Sorry, I just don't see it. I'm sure Cal will make him serviceable. But I'd be surprised if he turns out to be one of the top several point guards in the league. I certainly hope I'm wrong.
Well, none of us know. But ask yourself this. Who, among Cal's PGs was obviously more physically gifted? Wall and Fox, and who else (before we saw them in action.) Who was without a doubt a better floor manager? Who was certain to be a better shot? Knight? Who else?

• Haha
Reactions: drcats2013

You may be right in what you say and everyone is entitled to their opinion. But, the kid hasn't even seen the floor yet and you are saying he might be made serviceable by Cal. I think it's way too soon to make that sort of statement, which sounds pretty negative to me. I've heard many good things regarding Askew now and more than just from out coaching staff. I know you said you hope you're wrong so I get that. I hope you're wrong too and I'm anxious to see just what he can do on the floor, if we ever get a chance to see this team play this year, that is.

He's got 3 guys ahead of him, maybe 4.

If he plays with confidence, I think he will be surprisingly good.

Just being able to be a knockdown shooter will go a long way.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Honestly, I could care less on whether or not our PG can do Windmill dunks and hog the ball. I would rather have the Ulis, Askew type quards that are shifty, a bit explosive and can SHOOT THE ROCK. Give me all the other athletic positions but for PG we need a solid, steady and smart PG. Look at the only team Cal won a title with here, had a decent PG. Fed the rock and made layups. Limited Turnovers. That's all we need.

That being said, I would have loved to have Cunningham. I guess I just destroyed my point.

Love that we have Mintz to go with him.

With Mintz, we have a solid, proven player. Sort of a safety net if Askew isn’t ready.

We don’t need Askew to be Wall, Fox, or Knight. If he is, it’s bonus.

well hopefully this is .. he's gonna be really good and legit and not just another over hype the staff does to encourage players during the summer like with Humphries or like EJ last summer.

Reactions: kl40504
Said it from day one, Kentucky teams do not *need* to have the fastest or most athletic PG. Chances are the other 4 positions will be better, athletically, than our opponent. We need Askew to take care of the ball, communicate, run the offense, and be at least decent shooting the ball to keep defenses honest.

I think Askew has the chance to be like a Tyler Ulis type guard. And that should make all of us excited.
Nothing like Tyler Ulis.

Honestly, I could care less on whether or not our PG can do Windmill dunks and hog the ball. I would rather have the Ulis, Askew type quards that are shifty, a bit explosive and can SHOOT THE ROCK. Give me all the other athletic positions but for PG we need a solid, steady and smart PG. Look at the only team Cal won a title with here, had a decent PG. Fed the rock and made layups. Limited Turnovers. That's all we need.

That being said, I would have loved to have Cunningham. I guess I just destroyed my point.
Yep give me the Macy Epps Turner Teague type guys. Steady smart leaders. Not the super athletic guy. Those are the guys who win us titles

I agree with you. Don't forget defense though. Hagans was very frustrating to watch for me. I can understand why some people really liked him. He had plenty of talent. He lacked in a couple areas that I thought were very important for overall team success in the system Calipari runs.

I agree with you. Don't forget defense though. Hagans was very frustrating to watch for me. I can understand why some people really liked him. He had plenty of talent. He lacked in a couple areas that I thought were very important for overall team success in the system Calipari runs.

Hagans' defense is about the only thing I can say nice about him.. and even in that area, he gambled at times.

People might not realize.. with just how bad Hagans was at times.. it really won't take much for Askew to be more productive than him. Seriously.. a 3:1 assist to TO ratio would probably do it.

Like, if Askew can just NOT quit on the team.. that's step 1. lol.

Askew may be fine. I certainly hope he is. But often the leaks about who is impressing coaches turn out to be players who needed to hear that. Quade Green is an example that comes to mind. Cal noted early on that Green was better than Cal was expecting.

It will also work the other way. Players are allegedly struggling and turn out to be dynamite. MKG was rumored to be having a tough time catching on, during the same pre-season that Wiltjer was drawing rave reviews.

Cal is always pushing buttons, and has no problem using the media to do so.

So what if he isn't great coming in? That only means that he will be here long enough to truly learn how to play the game and not be one of the two often one-and-done.

Askew may be fine. I certainly hope he is. But often the leaks about who is impressing coaches turn out to be players who needed to hear that. Quade Green is an example that comes to mind. Cal noted early on that Green was better than Cal was expecting.

It will also work the other way. Players are allegedly struggling and turn out to be dynamite. MKG was rumored to be having a tough time catching on, during the same pre-season that Wiltjer was drawing rave reviews.

Cal is always pushing buttons, and has no problem using the media to do so.

i had the same thought but in this case i thought the leaks were more directed at Mintz. Mintz is a SR, comes from a good basketball program, a lot is to be expected from him. at this point he should be a guy standing out and dominating Askew. its not like askew is wall or fox. if he is....we are good. i think askew will be better later in the year and good next year. but right now...Mintz should be way ahead. when i head of this praise for Askew....I took it as a sign for Mintz to pick it up

Reactions: Aike
i had the same thought but in this case i thought the leaks were more directed at Mintz. Mintz is a SR, comes from a good basketball program, a lot is to be expected from him. at this point he should be a guy standing out and dominating Askew. its not like askew is wall or fox. if he is....we are good. i think askew will be better later in the year and good next year. but right now...Mintz should be way ahead. when i head of this praise for Askew....I took it as a sign for Mintz to pick it up
So the staff leaking that Askew was impressing everyone was really just a way of saying Mintz is under-performing?

That's a pretty contorted effort on your part just to be able to put a negative spin on things.

Wouldn't it make more sense - rather than try to reach Mintz through some leak to a blogger - to get him aside and give him a detailed run down on what he needs to do to play at Kentucky?

Occam's Razor - the most simple answer that fits the facts is probably true. In this case -- The staff just likes what they see in Askew.

Last edited:
I took it as a sign that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
So the staff leaking that Askew was impressing everyone was really just a way of saying Mintz is under-performing?

That's a pretty contorted effort just to be able to put a negative spin on things. Wouldn't it make more sense - rather than try to reach Mintz through some leak to a blogger - to get him aside and give him a detailed run down on what he needs to do to play at Kentucky?

Occam's Razor - the most simple answer that fits the facts is probably true. I this case -- The staff just likes what they see in Askew.

I’m with you on this one. I think this is about Askew looking much better than expected, not about Mintz being worse than expected.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT