ADVERTISEMENT

Askew surprising coaches

Isn't Askew the lowest rated composite starting point guard Cal has had since 2007?

I'll wait a while before I annoint him.

This is why Mintz was brought on board. He was insurance in case Askew isn’t quite ready to take the reins from day one.

Askew will be fine, he was just not at the level where he could come in as a freshman & be a star. The kid has a good attitude, works hard, & is determined to get better & he will.

I remember during Quickley's freshman season many were wondering what the heck Cal was thinking when he recruited Quickley. Folks forget!

Askew & Quickley are not the same type player so I'm not saying Askew will be Quickley next year but I am saying you will see a better Askew next year.

Hagans' defense is about the only thing I can say nice about him.. and even in that area, he gambled at times.

People might not realize.. with just how bad Hagans was at times.. it really won't take much for Askew to be more productive than him. Seriously.. a 3:1 assist to TO ratio would probably do it.

Like, if Askew can just NOT quit on the team.. that's step 1. lol.
Now we know that Askew couldn't carry Hagans' luggage, despite Hagans being a headcase.

This thread was an... interesting... jaunt down memory lane. 😁

Askew will be fine, he was just not at the level where he could come in as a freshman & be a star. The kid has a good attitude, works hard, & is determined to get better & he will.

I remember during Quickley's freshman season many were wondering what the heck Cal was thinking when he recruited Quickley. Folks forget!

Askew & Quickley are not the same type player so I'm not saying Askew will be Quickley next year but I am saying you will see a better Askew next year.
But at least with Quickley you could see the athleticism and shooting ability to become a really good player with more experience. Askew doesn't bring much to the table. He's doesn't even have a tight handle and is very loose with the ball. He's a square peg in Cal's so-called round hole offense where you have to be able to beat your man off the dribble to be successful. I just don't see where he fits in.

Now we know that Askew couldn't carry Hagans' luggage, despite Hagans being a headcase.

This thread was an... interesting... jaunt down memory lane. 😁

I'm not sure if this was some "Gotcha!" type post, or just for fun..

but neither of these (@RunninRichie ) we're completely wrong. Askew just wasn't ready his first year. I never said "Oh he's 100% going to be better than Hagans!". He still never quit.

And as it turns out, the rest of the team sucked as well. Notice where I said, generally, the other 4 positions would help carry him through? Turns out we didn't have that this year.

but neither of these (@RunninRichie ) we're completely wrong. Askew just wasn't ready his first year. I never said "Oh he's 100% going to be better than Hagans!". He still never quit.

And as it turns out, the rest of the team sucked as well. Notice where I said, generally, the other 4 positions would help carry him through? Turns out we didn't have that this year.
I’m just pulling your chain, Line. I said some dumbass comments as well. We all got fooled. But, we can take this as a lesson to never get sucked into hype again.

Right! Boston and Clarke were supposed to be all world players. That didn’t happen. Still, Cal doesn’t get a pass here. Mintz should’ve been lead guard from the jump. Allen should’ve been the 2G or at the 3.

Allen had to be on the floor. Those were Cal’s very words. His whole love affair and getting Boston as much exposure as possible got in the way of the betterment of the team. Absolute BS. Cal should be BLASTED for it!

Reactions: seccats04
Right! Boston and Clarke were supposed to be all world players. That didn’t happen. Still, Cal doesn’t get a pass here. Mintz should’ve been lead guard from the jump. Allen should’ve been the 2G or at the 3.

Allen had to be on the floor. Those were Cal’s very words. His whole love affair and getting Boston as much exposure as possible got in the way of the betterment of the team. Absolute BS. Cal should be BLASTED for it!
peep mdwildcats ghost edit on his old thread someone bumped

Just some mild teasing. 😉

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
What did he edit?😅

MdWIldcat55 said:
Most Cat fans were at least concerned by the wholesale departures last year. People mostly agreed Maxey and Quickley deserved to go. And Nick had stuck it out for three years and earned his shot. Sestina, of course, was a senior.

But EJ, Hagans and Juzang seemed like a shock - leaving for no good reason and leaving the Cats when they still had a lot to contribute before being ready for the pros.

But now, who among those who left would really be in line for minutes?

Give me Mintz over Hagans, and possibly Askew over Mintz. So Ashton would be 3rd on that depth chart.

With Sarr, Brooks, Jackson and Ware, would EJ even be first off the bench in the front court? More likely competing with Ware as 2/3 off the bench at the 4.

Juzang was pretty much a spot shooter with defensive liabilities. He wasn’t getting minutes ahead of Boston or Clarke, Allen is probably a similar player with maybe a purer shot. And we don’t know if Fletcher is ready for minutes.

Getting Nick back would have been amazing. But Sarr looks like the superior player overall.

Quickley and Maxey would certainly have been great returners, however unlikely. But better than Boston and Clarke?

What a remarkable job of replacing almost an entire roster of an SEC outright champion to the point that a case can be made that nobody who left with any eligibility would have started! (With the Maxey -Boston and Quickley-Clarke debates pretty close at least for now.)

Reactions: qwesley
There is some solid gold in this thread.

Cal should have listened to @bucsrule8872 , he was right, Mintz was here as a safety net, but Cal waited until game 22 to pull the trigger on that.

@Son_Of_Saul was also right, as usual. Same with @Wildcat-in-STL.

I think we should all be a little guarded at this point, which is why I think it's a really bad idea to have Skyy reclass, try to run it back with Askew in 2021/22 or think that Nolan Hickman is our answer a pg next year. He’s another 4* multi year kid, that hopefully stays 4 years.

There is some solid gold in this thread.

Cal should have listened to @bucsrule8872 , he was right, Mintz was here as a safety net, but Cal waited until game 22 to pull the trigger on that.

@Son_Of_Saul was also right, as usual. Same with @Wildcat-in-STL.

I think we should all be a little guarded at this point, which is why I think it's a really bad idea to have Skyy reclass, try to run it back with Askew in 2021/22 or think that Nolan Hickman is our answer a pg next year. He’s another 4* multi year kid, that hopefully stays 4 years.

Mdwildcat55
Most Cat fans were at least concerned by the wholesale departures last year. People mostly agreed Maxey and Quickley deserved to go. And Nick had stuck it out for three years and earned his shot. Sestina, of course, was a senior.

But EJ, Hagans and Juzang seemed like a shock - leaving for no good reason and leaving the Cats when they still had a lot to contribute before being ready for the pros.

Give me Mintz over Hagans, and possibly Askew over Mintz. So Ashton would be 3rd on that depth chart.

With Sarr, Brooks, Jackson and Ware, would EJ even be first off the bench in the front court? More likely competing with Ware as 2/3 off the bench at the 4.

Juzang was pretty much a spot shooter with defensive liabilities. He wasn’t getting minutes ahead of Boston or Clarke, Allen is probably a similar player with maybe a purer shot. And we don’t know if Fletcher is ready for minutes.

Getting Nick back would have been amazing. But Sarr looks like the superior player overall.

Quickley and Maxey would certainly have been great returners, however unlikely. But better than Boston and Clarke?

What a remarkable job of replacing almost an entire roster of an SEC outright champion to the point that a case can be made that nobody who left with any eligibility would have started! (With the Maxey -Boston and Quickley-Clarke debates pretty close at least for now.)

this is solid diamond.

MdWIldcat55 said:

Can you highlight what we need to be looking at here?

Mdwildcat55

this is solid diamond.
Cal should hire MDwildcat55 as a talent evaluator immediately. He's a good rah rah guy. He'd tell Cal he's "the greatest" every day. Match made in heaven.

iyiyi ... these threads should teach people lessons, but likely never will

Can we please stop comparing every PG we get to " a bigger Tyler Ulis". I've already seen people saying that about Hickman, too. Please stop. For the love of God, stop.
This guy out of the lunch conference @ ham sandwich university is the real deal! A bigger tyler ulis.

I don't think it was CRAZY to think Askew wouldn't do what the previous 7 or 8 guards did under Cal, which was eventually figure it out. Just like in many years past when posters would jump ship cause of a few missteps in January February.. more often than not, the team came through. More often than not, the guards started to play better.

I've said many times before to be cautious about incoming recruits and not assume they are just gonna be 20/10 guys. We've realized over the last few years that the jump from HS Senior to college freshman is immense.

But yea, I still figured Askew would be a lot better than this. And lol, no it wasn't the lack of athleticism. It was turnovers, janky play, not communicating well, not being poised. Just not playing badly would have fixed so much.

I don't think it was CRAZY to think Askew wouldn't do what the previous 7 or 8 guards did under Cal, which was eventually figure it out. Just like in many years past when posters would jump ship cause of a few missteps in January February.. more often than not, the team came through. More often than not, the guards started to play better.

I've said many times before to be cautious about incoming recruits and not assume they are just gonna be 20/10 guys. We've realized over the last few years that the jump from HS Senior to college freshman is immense.

But yea, I still figured Askew would be a lot better than this. And lol, no it wasn't the lack of athleticism. It was turnovers, janky play, not communicating well, not being poised. Just not playing badly would have fixed so much.
really what it all comes down to is this: the other team scored more points than kentucky did at the end of the game-Joel Justus.....probably.

LOL, yes. The simple fix. Just not playing badly.

The point is he didn't NEED to be the fastest guard or the strongest guard. You watched the games.. How many of those weak passes got picked off? How many times did he clearly freeze up crossing the half court when the pressure was on?

All of our past guards cleaned this up as the season went on. Askew never got there in his freshman year. That was by far his biggest issue IMO. Not some lack of speed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT