ADVERTISEMENT

Devin Askew

I have no issues with him at all. Seems like a nice kid. He's averaging 24 minutes with Cal in his senior year. 6 pts, 4 rebs, 2 assists.

How did they miss so badly on him in high school ? 5 star I believe. Was he playing weak competition?

Also, Neon Keon is averaging 21 pts and 7 rebs in his senior season at Washington.
Would you consider it fair to say Cal mis evaluated him?

Ummm, ok. Let's turn this into a Cal thread. Why not, all of them get turned into Cal threads, right? #CDS

Yes, Cal missed on him as well as the ratings agencies.
Relax, I didn’t use abrasive language in my post, and I asked my question in a calm manner with civility.

I was simply asking because Cal recruited him fairly hard to come here.

You seemed to blame a lot of other people for missing on him. Seems unfair to call them out and not the guy who recruited him. If Cal had never recruited him we wouldn’t be talking about him, so it is a relevant question the pertains directly to the thread topic.

I have no issues with him at all. Seems like a nice kid. He's averaging 24 minutes with Cal in his senior year. 6 pts, 4 rebs, 2 assists.

How did they miss so badly on him in high school ? 5 star I believe. Was he playing weak competition?

Also, Neon Keon is averaging 21 pts and 7 rebs in his senior season at Washington.

N his 5th year. Stupid covid rules.

4* and a Joel Justus recruit.

To answer your question I believe it was a lack of work ethic. Despite playing terribly Cal continued to start him and play him 30+ minutes a game. Why would he need to improve if he was getting star player treatment at a school like UK?

We did have a limited bench that season, but still when a player is THAT bad you have to try something different. But Cal never did. Perhaps the work ethic wasn’t there in high school as well but I didn’t follow him in high school.

Beard at Texas said he would be a Texas legend. Maybe you should question Beard after watching Askew lead us to the worst record in 100 years.🙄

Relax, I didn’t use abrasive language in my post, and I asked my question in a calm manner with civility.

You seemed to blame a lot of other people for missing on him. Seems unfair to call them out and not the guy who recruited him. If Cal had never recruited him we wouldn’t be talking about him, so it is a relevant question the pertains directly to the thread topic.
Gotta watch the 777 crew,, lol..

I get both sides. But it gets so annoying trying to discuss anything basketball on this board without someone bring Cal into somehow. Like the thread I posted about UConn's road loss streak getting turned into a Cal thing.

I won’t criticize current UK players. Glad Brooks is gone. He hated UK, Rupp arena and our tradition.

He played at Mater Dei iirc. Big time competition. I actually thought he was out for year and seeking a medical redshirt. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
Michael Avery situation, but not that ridiculous. Committed before his junior year after starting one season. Early enrollee. Not enough time to get accurate picture.

I remember my mind being blown that we even offered him and pissed when he committed. I saw absolutely nothing that made me think he could work at a place like UK. I had similar feelings with Quade and Briscoe but not to the level of Askew.

Just look at his “highlights.” I was just hoping I was missing what the rankings saw in him but I guess not. I saw a PG that was an average shooter and a pretty good passer but that’s where his positives stopped. He was small, unathletic and couldn’t stay in front in anyone on defense.

Watch his high school film and then watch some of the other PG’s we’ve had the last 15 years and it’s night and day.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon

Never would of came here if Cade would of stuck to his word. Askew was a fall back plan.

I remember my mind being blown that we even offered him and pissed when he committed. I saw absolutely nothing that made me think he could work at a place like UK. I had similar feelings with Quade and Briscoe but not to the level of Askew.

Just look at his “highlights.” I was just hoping I was missing what the rankings saw in him but I guess not. I saw a PG that was an average shooter and a pretty good passer but that’s where his positives stopped. He was small, unathletic and couldn’t stay in front in anyone on defense.

Watch his high school film and then watch some of the other PG’s we’ve had the last 15 years and it’s night and day.

That’s kind of how i felt about Verdell Jones when we showed him token interest way back.

I think Tubby initially showed interest and then Billy G took over and gave him a look too. I watched some film on him and thought to myself…”if we’re looking at this kid times are really tough”. And what’s worse is I think Marc Maggard used a highlight video of him matched up against Jerryd Bayless to try and sell us on the kid over on his website when BCG was looking at him lol. Bayless was torching the dude.

Reactions: Warf2012
Ummm, ok. Let's turn this into a Cal thread. Why not, all of them get turned into Cal threads, right? #CDS

Yes, Cal missed on him as well as the ratings agencies. Cal is the only coach to ever miss on a recruit. He can't do anything right.

Good lord, seek help. Cal missed on a kid. It happens. Why you would try to bend around that fact is beyond me.

To answer the actual question... I think the recruiting services just missed on him. Just my opinion: I think he had good size and strength for a point guard and that helped his evaluations. It seems scouts assumed his size and strength would make him a tough guard in college- a good defender, good ball handler, and he had some of those qualities. He was a decent passer who didn't turn the ball over much and it was thought he'd be a good lead guard. Again, my opinion, his lack of quickness offensively and defensively and below average shooting should have made a stronger impression on scouts, especially in his junior and senior seasons, but it seems the die was cast. As others have mentioned, he was an early bloomer. So, as a high school sophomore he had been scouted and it was assumed he'd just keep improving. I don't think he ever did. They just missed on him. He's not the first and he won't be the last.

This is interesting. I got so invested in the recruiting process with that class that had the Harrison twins, Young, etc and that we also hoped would include Wiggins. I thought we had Wall/Bledsoe/Cousins level talent coming in only like 6 or 7 of them. And then we didn’t get Wiggins. And then a lot of that season was ho hum. I largely quit following recruiting and especially hype videos after that. I never once watched an Askew mixtape until just now. I see what you are talking about. There’s a couple solid moves in the video, but mostly he looks like an above average public high school kid, emphasis on the kid part. He dribbles wide, he didn’t have big hops, his changes in direction are pretty slow. Definitely weird that he was ranked so highly.

I do remember that he was the point guard that was available after Cunningham fell through and all other highly rated guys were off the board.

I don’t mean to sound cruel about a kid just trying to play basketball and do his best. He probably could have done well below Div I. Askew was fed false hope just like the fanbase was and I’m sure he struggled with the reality too.

Probably the worst guard cal has ever seriously recruited. I don’t know what it was about him but he isn’t good.

I get both sides. But it gets so annoying trying to discuss anything basketball on this board without someone bring Cal into somehow. Like the thread I posted about UConn's road loss streak getting turned into a Cal thing.
If how I brought up Cal upsets you then you just have to get tougher skin. I couldn’t have been more gentle with the way I asked it. Like I said before, we are discussing a player that Cal recruited pretty hard. It is more than fair and more than relevant to ask if other posters think it is fair to say Cal mis evaluated him as well.

Cal misses on alot of players. Many like Askew he missed based on rating instead of doing his own evaluation. Others he missed on while they were at UK due to their youth. As they got older and became NBA players or players at other schools they became better due to maturity.

Reactions: susan2361
Shockingly, he’s been hurt this season. I know, no one saw that coming.
And Daimion Collins has been injured most of the year at LSU. I know, no one saw that coming either. It's shocking that our guys stay hurt even after they leave UK. Cal needs to recruit tougher players as our guys seem Charmin soft and stay injured. And before anybody blasts me, I'm not just talking about this year. It's been the last several years and when our slide started.

And Daimion Collins has been injured most of the year at LSU. I know, no one saw that coming either. It's shocking that our guys stay hurt even after they leave UK. Cal needs to recruit tougher players as our guys seem Charmin soft and stay injured. And before anybody blasts me, I'm not just talking about this year. It's been the last several years and when our slide started.

It started the year after we won the ship.

2013 Noel
2014 Willie
2015 Alex
2016 Marcus Lee missed some time with a concussion i think
2017 Fox missed a few game mid conference schedule with the flu or something.
2018 Green missed some games. Vanderbilt.
2019 PJ and Reid Travis. Green leaves mid season.
2020 Hagans goes MIA for the last game of the season
2021 Brooks, Clarke
2022 Every guard on the roster
2023 Wheeler, Wallace, Fredrick
2024 everyone on the roster has missed games except Reed and Reeves

It’s literally been every year since we won a title and it’s getting worse it seems.

Reactions: seccats04

I think it was that assistant he had that made really bad choices. Forgot the guy’s name.

Reactions: CashM03 and chroix

The coach isn’t responsible for recruiting and building the roster? Shouldn’t be questioned when he falls way short of those responsibilities? Not sure I follow the reasoning here.

It started the year after we won the ship.

2013 Noel
2014 Willie
2015 Alex
2016 Marcus Lee missed some time with a concussion i think
2017 Fox missed a few game mid conference schedule with the flu or something.
2018 Green missed some games. Vanderbilt.
2019 PJ and Reid Travis. Green leaves mid season.
2020 Hagans goes MIA for the last game of the season
2021 Brooks, Clarke
2022 Every guard on the roster
2023 Wheeler, Wallace, Fredrick
2024 everyone on the roster has missed games except Reed and Reeves

It’s literally been every year since we won a title and it’s getting worse it seems.

Hard to argue with the run of Askew, Green, Hagans and Wheeler following up Wall, Fox, SGA, etc. being a massive drop off and the source of our issues for the last five seasons.

Reactions: Montana81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT