ADVERTISEMENT

Devin Askew

Didn't Askew reclassify to come to UK a year earlier?

Wouldn't of mattered if he waited 3 more years to come. I think he averaged 6-7 turnovers a game

Very well put
well except that Askew skipped his Senior year of high school, so his evaluation was of a Jr.. His Senior year was starting as the PG for the University of Kentucky

Hindsight is 20/20, I get that, but on the surface, just everyone ask yourself- does it sound like a good idea for a kid to skip a year of development to lead the University of Kentucky on the most demanding position on the team?

Reactions: Soupbean
its a very simple concept. He was not talented enough to be the PG at the University of Kentucky.

That's not on Devin Askew. I'm sure he tried to the best of his ability.

Its like bringing him in to run a 4.25 in the 40 but he can never do it because he just isn't capable

That isn't failing, that's putting him in a position to fail.

Its Cal's job to evaluate talent.
BEFORER he got here, NOBODY knew whether or not he was good enough. If he was not talented enough, why did he sign to play for the school he was not good enough to play at ? Once again, he knows his game better than anyone, maybe he should have signed to play at WKU instead of UK. I fail to see how him coming to play here and not being good enough is on Cal ???? The PLAYER should have known he wasn't good enough. crazy talk. Hindsight is always 20/20, good job, I guess. What about SGA ? Should Cal not have signed him ? Maybe its Cal's fault SGA is so good ? Nah, your type likes to blame Cal for the bad, not give credit for the good.

I fail to see how him coming to play here and not being good enough is on Cal ????
yea, that seems obvious at this point

its pretty funny to me that you're saying "my type" liked to blame Cal for the bad, but in your previous post you say he failed UK by not having a backup PG.

Your issue isn't that Cal failed, its you're upset that we disagree on what Cal failed at

Last edited:
Well share it with me ? If he wasn't good enough why did HE think he was ? Once again, not Cal's fault he signed somewhere he wasn't good enough to play. Give me your REAL explanation of how it was Cal's fault ASKEW decided to play at UK ? Cal didn't force him to sign. You are just stating an opinion, not facts.

Aside from Michael Porter, Askew was the worst guard to start at UK. In all honesty, I think some guards in my rec league at Morehead St in the early 2000's were better. Overrated and poorly evaluated.

I’m not even sure Porter was worse. Worse human being? Undoubtedly. Worse basketball player? It’s close.

Worst starting point guards i’ve seen at UK post probation:

1a Askew
1b Porter
2 Wheeler
3 Saul Smith

Those are really the only ones i thought were bad. Quade Green wasn’t great but he wasn’t terrible. Especially for a freshman trying to run an offense with a bunch of other freshman that weren’t AD, Boogie, Malik Monk etc.

Reactions: TankedCat
I'm sure Askew thought he was good enough. The problem here is he was 17 years old when he thought that.

He also probably thought he'd be in the NBA ,drive a Bugatti and have 6 mansions.

Cal, remember the HOF coach who is responsible for talent evaluation and determining who deserves a scholarship offer at UK? The man who has been evaluating basketball talent for 35 years? Cal thought he was.

By your logic, any 18 year old could walk up to Cal and say I'm good enough to be the PG at the University of Kentucky.

Cal whiffed on the talent evaluation - there is zero argument to that.

Cal didn't have a backup PG - there is zero argument to that too

Cal put Askew in a position to fail when it was obvious the kid needed to be on the bench. I would think there is zero argument to that but you're doing your best to try

Amazingly enough, bodies grow and change as they age. Even after 18. Some change in ways that aren't optimum for athletics. I don't think people understand the tiny physical differences among athlete's of that caliber. Why do you [generalized "you"] imagine that coaches spend all that time evaluating HS athletes. Do you [generalized "you"] imagine that such things are obvious?

Anybody moaning about a coach misjudging an athlete's development can present their credentials for predicting the future.

Amazingly enough, bodies grow and change as they age. Even after 18. Some change in ways that aren't optimum for athletics. I don't think people understand the tiny physical differences among athlete's of that caliber. Why do you [generalized "you"] imagine that coaches spend all that time evaluating HS athletes. Do you [generalized "you"] imagine that such things are obvious?

Anybody moaning about a coach misjudging an athlete's development can present their credentials for predicting the future.

amazingly enough, I would expect a coach to take all that into consideration and not be dumb enough to put the premiere program in the nation in a situation where they have no other option to support it.

apparently Coach Cal didn't understand that bodies grow and change, and he didn't realize the tiny physical differences among athletes. Why should he. I mean he's just a hall of fame coach,why have an expectation that he understand anything other than Devin Askew, 17 year old High School Jr. is the boy to lead the University of Kentucky

the apologists on this site are amazing

there is nothing more I can add, I'm just repeating myself now. We'll just disagree

Last edited:
Reactions: Montana81
amazingly enough, I would expect a coach to take all that into consideration and not be dumb enough to put the premiere program in the nation in a situation where they have no other option to support it.

apparently Coach Cal didn't understand that bodies grow and change, and he didn't realize the tiny physical differences among athletes. Why should he. I mean he's just a hall of fame coach,why have an expectation that he understand anything other than Devin Askew, 17 year old High School Jr. is the boy to lead the University of Kentucky

the apologists on this site are amazing

there is nothing more I can add, I'm just repeating myself now. We'll just disagree

I'm not sure what you're saying. My only point was that coaches have to take a chance with every athlete they recruit. They can't possibly be perfect.

To answer your question I believe it was a lack of work ethic. Despite playing terribly Cal continued to start him and play him 30+ minutes a game. Why would he need to improve if he was getting star player treatment at a school like UK?

We did have a limited bench that season, but still when a player is THAT bad you have to try something different. But Cal never did. Perhaps the work ethic wasn’t there in high school as well but I didn’t follow him in high school.
Wasn’t he Terrence Clarke’s year?
Feel like Cal early made a decision to train Terrence to be the unofficial 1/initiator of the offense but due to injuries and bad timing that plan never was able to come to fruition.

I don’t think Cal is dumb he saw what we all saw and recruited over Askew immediately.

Ummm, ok. Let's turn this into a Cal thread. Why not, all of them get turned into Cal threads, right? #CDS

Yes, Cal missed on him as well as the ratings agencies. Cal is the only coach to ever miss on a recruit. He can't do anything right.
That is a little harsh but yes it is Cal’s fault. He and his staff evaluated him. They went to watch him play and they offered him so yes it is his fault.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
If you want everything to be about Cal then yeah this line of thinking makes sense. Just because Cal *could* be brought up doesn’t also make it annoying af. Most of the board is in agreement they would rather have a new coach but there are some of you that seem more obsessed than others when bringing him up.
I try to fair and give him credit where it’s due as well (or liking posts that share that sentiment). I as it fair to bring up Cal in the threads that applauded the team for beating Auburn and Alabama? Because I liked posts giving him a pat on the back in those.

You’re going to have a busy day trying to thought police people from mentioning Cal on a Kentucky message board. While I appreciate the tenacity, I think it is misplaced. As I said before, if bringing up Cal in topics that directly relate to him or his involvement I think you’d have a much better time here if you just steered clear.

Last edited:
Feel like Cal early made a decision to train Terrence to be the unofficial 1/initiator of the offense but due to injuries and bad timing that plan never was able to come to fruition.

I don’t think Cal is dumb he saw what we all saw and recruited over Askew immediately.
Sure, if there was any redemption for Cal it was that he immediately recruited over Askew and basically gave him the heave ho.

Reactions: Montana81

I have never made the argument that Cal is dumb. And I never will. He’s a very intelligent person. Yes, he tried that early on and was trying to play Clarke like Tyreke Evans.

Clarke did get injured which was unfortunate but he was nowhere near the level of Evans and he wasn’t good enough to save that team. That team was poorly recruited and poorly coached imo.

He had offers from Louisville, Arkansas, Arizona, and Kansas.
A lot of people mis evaluated him.
I couldn’t agree more.

The OP has a habit of blaming everyone under the sun for things that go wrong with our program while excluding Cal from all blame. And I just wanted his take on if Cal properly evaluated him. He begrudgingly answered the question and seemed to take offense to it. I never meant to hurt anyone’s feelings or rub people the wrong way. I just wasn’t aware that John Calipari’s name was off limits in threads discussing his recruits.

And now that I know that some folks feel this way I’ve decided to change nothing. I sincerely hope you have a good night.

The ABC season. Askew, and Boston stunk. Clarke was injured all season. Terrible season.

Ummm, ok. Let's turn this into a Cal thread. Why not, all of them get turned into Cal threads, right? #CDS

Yes, Cal missed on him as well as the ratings agencies. Cal is the only coach to ever miss on a recruit. He can't do anything right.
If this was Cal’s only screw up, it wouldn’t have been posted on the board. We would be talking about other things. And the would be zero Cal haters.

I have never made the argument that Cal is dumb. And I never will. He’s a very intelligent person. Yes, he tried that early on and was trying to play Clarke like Tyreke Evans.

Clarke did get injured which was unfortunate but he was nowhere near the level of Evans and he wasn’t good enough to save that team. That team was poorly recruited and poorly coached imo.
I don’t think Cal foresaw Covid when he was recruiting them and I think that highly impacted their development. I do think Clarke would’ve been a good initiator of the offense though. I don’t think he ever got a chance to grow into that.

Also nobody foresaw Brandon Boston not being that good.

I Think hindsight is heavily at play in your evaluation is all I’m saying, nothing personal..

I don’t think Cal foresaw Covid when he was recruiting them and I think that highly impacted their development. I do think Clarke would’ve been a good initiator of the offense though. I don’t think he ever got a chance to grow into that.

Also nobody foresaw Brandon Boston not being that good.

I Think hindsight is heavily at play in your evaluation is all I’m saying, nothing personal..
The fallacy with your argument is the idea that Cal was the only coach in America dealing with COVID. He wasn’t.

He was also not the only coach with a young, freshman led roster during the COVID year.

He was the only coach to produce a historically bad season for his university. He literally matched our worst record in program history (a record set 100 years before he matched it). No one forced him to build a freshmen led team and no one forced him to play the line ups he did.

Do you give Kenny Payne a pass for inheriting a dumpster fire of a program and leading them to similar results? I’d imagine not.
That would limit it to just cal though. He was mis evaluated by everyone that watched him
I never did limit it to Cal. When asked this same question, in this same thread, I replied that everyone who recruited him mis evaluated him. But, unfortunately for you, that still includes Cal.

The fallacy with your argument is the idea that Cal was the only coach in America dealing with COVID. He wasn’t.

He was also not the only coach with a young, freshman led roster during the COVID year.

He was the only coach to produce a historically bad season for his university. He literally matched our worst record in program history (a record set 100 years before he matched it). No one forced him to build a freshmen led team and no one forced him to play the line ups he did.

Do you give Kenny Payne a pass for inheriting a dumpster fire of a program and leading them to similar results? I’d imagine not.

I never did limit it to Cal. When asked this same question, in this same thread, I replied that everyone who recruited him mis evaluated him. But, unfortunately for you, that still includes Cal.
Unfortunately for me? I couldn't care less. Yea askew wasn't good and he played here ,so what.

well except that Askew skipped his Senior year of high school, so his evaluation was of a Jr.. His Senior year was starting as the PG for the University of Kentucky

Hindsight is 20/20, I get that, but on the surface, just everyone ask yourself- does it sound like a good idea for a kid to skip a year of development to lead the University of Kentucky on the most demanding position on the team?
Good point

Everyone wanted Askew. He was the number 1 point guard in his class before he reclassified.

Everyone missed on him.

And I don’t know why.

I’m certainly no scout but the first time I saw him play I couldn’t understand why any high level school wanted him.

He was slow. He wasn’t a good shooter. He didn’t handle like a guard.

There wasn’t anything there to make one think he was “it”.

But I still think Ryan Harrow was worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT