ADVERTISEMENT

Article on KSR Sounds Like Stoops Is Preparing For The Worst as Far as Portal Losses

Stoops has reached his limit. The program has and will continue to spiral down.
Unless drastic changes are made. I would agree.

And not just changes on offense.

Special teams HAS to be addressed or CMS should be charged with coaching malfeasance.

DB play (and recruiting) has been horrible since Clinkscale left for Michigan.

D-line play is average based on talent level.
O line play is atrocious.

LB play has been suspect (losing both starters who are 5th year seniors has certainly impacted that) but what are we going to look like next year with them gone???

RB room has been abysmal and even CRod is just a shadow of himself from last year. ( injuries, O -line??) Or is it coaching???

The loss to Vandy signals some deep and concerning issues for the future of UK football.

Last edited:

And not just changes on offense. Special teams HAS to be addressed or CMS should be charged with coaching malfeasance.
LB play has been suspect (losing both starters who are 5th year seniors has certainly impacted that) but what are we going to look like next year with them gone???
RB room has been abysmal and even CRod is just a shadow of himself from last year. ( injuries, O -line??) Or is it coaching???

The loss to Vandy signals some deep and concerning issues for the future of UK football.
People who think it’s just as simple as the O coordinator are delusional.

Sometimes p
And THAT is the reason CMS is going to have a hard time firing him at the end of the season.

When an employee is doing exactly what you instructed him to do, and he fails because of it, what are you going to fire him over?

CMS has even admitted that Scangs is slow playing the offense at HIS direction to take the pressure off his defense.

I love CMS, but he is THE root cause of our decades long offensive woes.
Unfortunately, I don't think he can change. It is his DNA to play " complementary " offense, meaning slow play, run the ball, run the clock, protect the defense, and try to squeeze out a 17-14 win at the buzzer.

Those days are long gone in the SEC and CMS needs to be also, if he refuses to change his philosophy concerning offense.

And not just changes on offense. Special teams HAS to be addressed or CMS should be charged with coaching malfeasance.

All true

Reactions: cathouse
We would be the laughing stock of college football if we fired Stoops at this point. That’s crazy talk.
Laughingstock is what this program has always been. Granted ... Stoops has made things better than anyone around here has seen in many years ... since Cursi. My fear is that he's hit his ceiling ... it happens and some coaches will never achieve anything higher. He's made strides but to allow the backsliding into yesteryear is not acceptable. Why all the staff turnover? There's an answer and it's not because they're being hired away to better jobs. What's happening is not normal for a healthy program. There is a distinct possibility of losing some of our better players to the portal. Why? At some point, you have to look at Stoops ... to do otherwise is reckless. After 10 years, his staff should be locked in and without the type of problems we're seeing. That's not the case, is it?. With regard to laughingstock ... that means you're willing to allow the perceived opinions of others to influence proper stewardship decisions made in the best interest of the UK program, when those "others" have nothing invested in your program other than an "opinion". Who the hell cares about what they think? You do what needs to be done to heal the program and move it forward.

Why all the staff turnover? There's an answer and it's not because they're being hired away to better jobs.

That's a completely inaccurate statement. Sumerall is the HC at Troy, Clink moved on to Michigan, Coen is the OC for LA Rams, Matt House went to KC Chiefs/LSU DC, and there have been more. If no one is trying to hire your staff away from you then you don't have a good staff. Did he make some bad hires in the past couple of cycles? Absolutely, he has and he needs to rectify those mistakes this offseason.

Laughingstock is what this program has always been. Granted ... Stoops has made things better than anyone around here has seen in many years ... since Cursi. My fear is that he's hit his ceiling ... it happens and some coaches will never achieve anything higher. He's made strides but to allow the backsliding into yesteryear is not acceptable. Why all the staff turnover? There's an answer and it's not because they're being hired away to better jobs. What's happening is not normal for a healthy program. There is a distinct possibility of losing some of our better players to the portal. Why? At some point, you have to look at Stoops ... to do otherwise is reckless. After 10 years, his staff should be locked in and without the type of problems we're seeing. That's not the case, is it?. With regard to laughingstock ... that means you're willing to allow the perceived opinions of others to influence proper stewardship decisions made in the best interest of the UK program, when those "others" have nothing invested in your program other than an "opinion". Who the hell cares about what they think? You do what needs to be done to heal the program and move it forward.
I’m not saying I agree with you but , if you feel like that you just gotta hope he is nudged out or decides to move on . I felt the way you do at the end of Tubbys tenure and currently feel that way about Calipari, but I realized neither deserved to be fired .

Reportedly, there's going to be a lot of coaching turnover at Kentucky, Alabama, and Texas A&M: https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-...oach-reckoning-kentucky-football-mark-stoops/

Who is safe on the offensive staff? Marrow certainly is and I'd also say Woodward is too. Everybody else has probably already been told this is coming so they can start planning with their agents for December openings and January coach convention networking (not to mention get their houses ready to sell, find new schools for the kids, etc). The guys who would go back to the NFL also get helped by finding out earlier.

Anyway, I assume that's how Stephen Godfrey knows this stuff...his sources are the coaches' agents who have already been told by UK.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
That's a completely inaccurate statement. Sumerall is the HC at Troy, Clink moved on to Michigan, Coen is the OC for LA Rams, Matt House went to KC Chiefs/LSU DC, and there have been more. If no one is trying to hire your staff away from you then you don't have a good staff. Did he make some bad hires in the past couple of cycles? Absolutely, he has and he needs to rectify those mistakes this offseason.
Revolving door with OC is killing us not to mention the bad hire with Scang. We can't afford bad hires.

Reactions: entropy13
I’m not saying I agree with you but , if you feel like that you just gotta hope he is nudged out or decides to move on . I felt the way you do at the end of Tubbys tenure and currently feel that way about Calipari, but I realized neither deserved to be fired .
I would agree that he doesn't deserve firing and don't think I used those words but to borrow yours, nudged or he decides to move on would be best for both sides. He's done a lot for the program ... I just wonder if he's topped out? Too many recurring issues that undermines program stability. He honestly hope he can right the ship but I have reservations he can do it ... hope he can.

Reactions: yoshukai
The root cause of our offensive woes is a very mediocre offensive line. Some of that may be coaching, but I think the staff seriously overrated our ability to plug in some of the new guys and not miss a beat. The play calling is an issue as well. When you're not winning on the OL, you can't be as predictable as we are on early downs.

Reactions: yoshukai
I would agree that he doesn't deserve firing and don't think I used those words but to borrow yours, nudged or he decides to move on would be best for both sides. He's done a lot for the program ... I just wonder if he's topped out? Too many recurring issues that undermines program stability. He honestly hope he can right the ship but I have reservations he can do it ... hope he can.
I misunderstood. I thought you were saying Barnhart should fire him . That’s crazy talk . Questioning things certainly isn’t. My apologies.

Reactions: Bluesbrother
The root cause of our offensive woes is a very mediocre offensive line. Some of that may be coaching, but I think the staff seriously overrated our ability to plug in some of the new guys and not miss a beat. The play calling is an issue as well. When you're not winning on the OL, you can't be as predictable as we are on early downs.
I dont disagree.

We would be the laughing stock of college football if we fired Stoops at this point. That’s crazy talk.
Unfortunately, we ARE the laughing stock of college football...........

For losing to Vandy. That's gonna leave a bad stain.

I couldn't care less what you " think" about my post.

"Coen’s responsibilities will now shift a bit. He orchestrated the entire offense and called the plays from the sideline at Kentucky, but McVay has been the play-caller since taking over the Rams in 2017. It’s more of a collaborative effort in Los Angeles.
Coen said. “I had this year when I was able to put this system to paper and gain this experience.

The ONLY reason Liam came to UK was CMS assured him that he could implement HIS OFFENSE" and actually call plays during the game. That came from a CMS presser. Right out of CMS mouth.

"With the Rams, McVay is the offensive mastermind. He runs the show. It’s a totally different story than Kentucky, where Coen has total autonomy on offense as the play-caller and quarterbacks coach. So why would Coen go to a place where he couldn’t call plays?"

Doesn't matter if you believe it or not.
You are intentionally pulling it out of context to bash on stoops

1. McVey is the architect of the Rams offense and has been play caller for all Rams teams no matter who the offensive coordinator was
2. Coen was going to be rhe olay caller for Stoops as he does not know much about play calling..,,,not ever has in his 10 years at UK

You took the quote as a dig at Stoops. You dumbly stated Coen had to special negotiate all power as Stoops was prone to control things There isn’t a hint of evidence Coen ever was worried nor said a peep about this when teking rhe UK job

Go make up some Russian collusion nonsense while your making shit up

I know. People are just babies when things go down.

I get this is a very disappointing year. But now we’ve exaggerated that NFL Super Bowl champs OC is lesser job than Ky OC. Head Coach at Troy is less job than UK Lber coach. The Oline Coach at Bama is lesser job than UK Oline Coach. Head coach at Eku is lesser job then safeties coach ar Uk

Some delusional people that are just butter as can be

Unfortunately, we ARE the laughing stock of college football...........

For losing to Vandy. That's gonna leave a bad stain.
UK finished 15th in final poll after beating Iowa in citrus bowl. uK has won four straight bowls…two of which were citrus bowls.

I get this is a bad year and Vandy was a terrible loss.

But you’re acting like a freaking child temper tantrum in Walmart over a piece of candy. Uk is nowhere near a laughing stock

I think Stoops was hoping for more of what Coen brought with Scan, the OL problems have largely curtailed what they've been able to do in regards to that, which is why I don't think you knee-jerk replace Scan. Fix the OL first and then see if it's still an issue.

I think hiring Coen was Stoops answer to implementing a higher profile offense to combat other programs. I've always been baffled a bit by Stoops approach. His Brother Bob wasn't afraid to roll the dice by hiring guys like Mike Leach and Lincoln Riley. Of course Mark made a run at Riley before his brother stole him out from under us.
I think Coen was just great, even with the limitations placed upon him by Stoops. Scang is struggling with the methodical, low risk offense that Stoops prefers..

UK finished 15th in final poll after beating Iowa in citrus bowl. uK has won four straight bowls…two of which were citrus bowls.

I get this is a bad year and Vandy was a terrible loss.

But you’re acting like a freaking child temper tantrum in Walmart over a piece of candy. Uk is nowhere near a laughing stock
You are the one acting like a 3 year old child. Haven't you been wrong enough times today??

You obviously don't follow national or regional sports media, or you would know how that loss to Vandy cost UK and CMS a lot of credibility, and yes it matters what the perception of your program is in the media.

Top recruits do not typically want to play for a team that loses to Vandy.

Please quit following me around. You obviously don't agree nor like anything I post, so do me and yourself a favor and just stop reading and commenting on my post.

And stop the name calling......like a 3 year old child.

That’s either a joke or a huge overstatement.
Facts. Turn on the TV and radio and listen for yourself.
Losing to Vandy after being rated #7 in the first College playoff poll is unfathomable. We have been the butt of jokes and received all kinds of bad press for that loss.

The only thing that is a big joke is LOSING TO VANDY. And it's a bad joke for UK football, CMS, and the fans.

Until Stoops let’s his OC call the shots, we are either at or near our apex as a program and cannot go any higher. It’s a crossroads, no doubt about it. Either he relinquishes control and let’s them work or we are going to fall right back down to the cellar. Adding Texas and Oklahoma ain’t gonna help matters either.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Losing to Vandy after being rated #7 in the first College playoff poll is unfathomable. We have been the butt of jokes and received all kinds of bad press for that loss.

The only thing that is a big joke is LOSING TO VANDY. And it's a bad joke for UK football, CMS, and the fans.
I will certainly agree that it’s been a bad season. And our offense IS laughable. Our defense was just as bad against Vandy.

Reactions: cathouse

All the defensive coaches need to stay. Our defense is as deep and talented as ever. If we can hire a clear upgrade over Collins or bufano, I'll listen. Otherwise it needs to stay intact.

On offense Gran needs to replace settle. Settle is dead weight if there ever was.

Can't imagine anyone arguing those points.

Reactions: Freetaxreturn
This free agency-transfer-NIL Environment just sucks. It’s gonna turn out just like having a successful coach who gets poached by a bigger name team. Same is gonna happen with good players. NIL alone won’t fix this as players still want to play for the Bamas, LSUs, and Georgias of the world. IMHO, the transfer rules that are currently in place are not all that helpful to teams like us who recruit and develop good players only to have them stolen after a year or two.

Reactions: K_TIME
One thing that pisses me off, is Stoops response when he was asked whether he asks his brother Bob for advise. Apparently he acted like he was offended by the question and said "this is my program". This tells me alot. His pride won't let him seek advice from one of the most successful college coaches in recent times.
I know I certainly wouldn’t want to chat with a guy who won a national championship, ruled his conference, and coached Heisman winners.

Better keep trying to do the same stuff that has never won you a division or landed you an elite QB recruit.

Outside of the last 5-6yrs.... Over the last 40years I've been following UK football. UK was Vandy football.

In the last few years we've templated how to win close football games against 'like competition'. The defense makes a big stop or comes up with a critical late turnover and it's all GREAT!!!

We got that turnover with the pick against Vandy, however, the hands to the face penalty killed us and put them back in business.

Point is - we teeter on the 'no margin for error' against teams that are slightly better or worse than us. Especially with a plodding offense that likes 4-5 yards and dust!

One thing that pisses me off, is Stoops response when he was asked whether he asks his brother Bob for advise. Apparently he acted like he was offended by the question and said "this is my program". This tells me alot. His pride won't let him seek advice from one of the most successful college coaches in recent times.
I had not heard that. If he is indeed too prideful to talk to his very successful brother ... that begs the question, "what level of success/pride" does he believe he has to prevent him from, in confidence, talking to his very successful brother? That might suggest he cares more about his ego than the success of the team/program. To be honest ... it was his brother's last name that landed him this job in the first place. Maybe he should have hired Bob instead of Mike.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT