ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Have An Update on Chris Oats?

Hope he is able finish his degree without too much of a delay, glad to hear that he is making progress

It would be awesome if by the time he's a senior he makes his return to the field and walks with his teammates for senior day...of course that is all up to him. To some that would be too much to handle and too emotional. For others they feel like they want to take advantage of their last chance.

But first and most important is to get healthy! While football is over, his life isn't and that's what is matters.

Bacterial Meningitis is my best hypothesis from the data out there, and from what I have seen first hand in the ED. College aged kids are one of the most groups at risks for Meningococcal Meningitis, because of their lifestyle from close living quarters, sharing drinks, cigarettes (tobacco or puff puff pass), kissing, etc (anything where saliva is exchanged).

If it isn't caught quickly, septicemia, organ/tissue death and ultimately clinical death can come quickly. The bacteria produce a toxin that cause vessels to burst, which means where ever in the body that occurs is without oxygen---no oxygen, no life (cellular or organism). Recovery is often a long tedious process, especially in cases with tissue death where amputation is the only treatment (fingers, toes and other limbs are the most commonly amputated body parts from patients who get this infection). Luckily if the patient presents to the ED quickly, this is a diagnosis we have been brow beaten to look for (thankfully) and in most cases treatment can quickly begin with some intravenous antibiotics and other supportive therapies like iv fluids, etc.

Last edited:
man scary stuff.... reminds you to set your priorities right. Glad to hear he is going to make and has a chance to earn a degree and live a good life.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Take whatever you want, but I am sure your webmd symptom checker, knows more than my near 20 years as an Emergency Room Physician. Until Oats releases his diagnosis, due to privacy law anything that is posted is purely speculation. Any provider worth a lick will tell you in that population meningitis fits what has been released as likely as a CVA given his age and history. I am not going to argue diagnostics with a known troll on a message board, who doesn't know a comorbidity from a complaint or meninges from menses.

I'll take CGMT's discussion with the family plus a couple of docs opinion/data on an earlier thread instead of this. But OK.

That is good to hear. Everything I had read, it certainly fit into the category of one of the most likely differential diagnosis (if one can diagnose message board gossip), and among my college football crazed colleagues a bacterial infection seemed far more likely than a CVA for his age group given what data is public knowledge.

I have know for a couple of months what Chris ailment is and I can tell you with a 100% degree of certainty that it isn't Bacterial Meningitis.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Had to look up CVA. I assumed it was an abbreviation for the medical term for stroke. Lucky guess.

“Cerebrovascular accident (CVA) is the medical term for a stroke. A stroke is when blood flow to a part of your brain is stopped either by a blockage or the rupture of a blood vessel.”

That is good to hear. Everything I had read, it certainly fit into the category of one of the most likely differential diagnosis (if one can diagnose message board gossip), and among my college football crazed colleagues a bacterial infection seemed far more likely than a CVA for his age group given what data is public knowledge.
It would greatly change his likelihood of stroke if he has sickle cell anemia.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT