ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody on here old enough to have seen Pratt and Issel play against Maravich in person ?

I got to see the NCAA game in Dayton, OH. when they lost to Jacksonville [Artis Gilmore]. Heartbreaker!!! Issel fouled out on a questionable play and Gilmore was just too much.
Pratt was always the second best player behind Issel. He was one tough dude.
I was there, right under our basket. A guard stepped in front of Issel as he was coming up court. The guard timed his jump in front of Issel, as Issel turned his head a bit to check out players following him. Soderburg ((from Calif., if I remember correctly) ((sp.) had a great rest of the game, but he wasn’t Issel. JU was very good though. Artis was very good.

Reactions: Rockford
I was at the last game they played at Memorial in 1970. Standing room only crowd of over 13,000. I was one of the standing, as I managed to sneak into the game through the swimming pool area with a key from my sister's boyfriend, who taught swimming there. I was 14 at the time. During warmups, Maravich was shooting and making shots from the corner from behind his back. Issel and Maravich both had tremendous games. I saw Pete Rose in the crowd.
It was a good game. I remember pretty distinctly, that Pistol received a long long standing ovation by Kentucky fans upon his introduction. the ovation, tried to stop a couple of times, but the students mainly wouldn’t let it. It was an awesome show of respect to Pistol.

Reactions: SDC888 and Rockford
Man that’s really old. Not sure who fits the bill.

@BBUK might be able to recall some stories of that era.
Hey, hey I am old enough but never saw them play LSU in person. I did go to Dayton to see us lose to Artis Gilmore and his Jacksonville team. OBTW Dan became a father to a baby girl on the same day as I did at the Methodist Hosp on broadway in Louisville and I met practically all the KY Colonels who came to visit. Our daughters just turned 50 in January. I loved Dan and we had a 9 1/2 hour "labor" visit awaiting those births. Nice guy....

Last edited:
Reactions: KMKAT and Gromcat
Hey, hey I am old enough but never saw them play LSU in person. I did go to Dayton to see us lose to Artis Gilmore and his Jacksonville team. OBTW Dan became a father to a baby girl on the same day as I did at the Methodist Hosp on broadway in Louisville and I met practically all the KY Colonels who came to visit. Our daughters just turned 50 in January. I oved Dan and we had a 9 1/2 hour "labor" visit awaiting those births. Nice guy....

Wish I could have seen him play. I sat in memorial with my kids last year with no one around. Talking about the old guys looking up the games and pictures on the phone while looking around. Crazy feeling thinking Adolph Rupp was on that sideline. Gave me chills.

Reactions: ColonelCat
My Dad waa a season ticket holder and took me to a game in Memorial Coliseum on a very cold winter night. Parked in the old Kroger parking lot and had a long walk. I remember Maravich getting 45 points and Issel getting 36. It was a high scoring shootout which was much more enjoyable to watch compared to the wrestling matches that go on now

Reactions: ala_kat2
s-l1600.jpg
19690125LouisianaState.jpg
19690222LouisianaState.jpg

Reactions: KMKAT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT