ADVERTISEMENT

Any truth that the SEC officials are trying to level the playing field

That's why this win was so huge.

we got lucky today. Lucky that bama shot 1 out of 3 (9 of 26) from the free throw line. Had they shot 2 out of 3 essentially becomes a tie game, or they get the lead if that means extended 1 and 1's and additional makes. But seriously, you have to go into a ball game expecting your opponent to shoot 2/3d's from the foul line. bama gave us that game. Naturally, we could say the refs were favorable to bama with the whistles (lot more fouls against us), but that part is what it is, and we shot like crap too, 10 of 18 is one make better than 50%.

in the SEC? Steal away a few games from sure bids and spread the wealth. Squeak in a couple others... sure feels like it, but no proof.

Geez, add another theory to the list of conspiracies. I just don't get why everyone is constantly trying to find a conspiracy. I don't get it.

Why would the officials "spread the wealth"? Why would they do that?

It's an EXTREMELY difficult job to do and some of them are just not that great at it. Period. There is no conspiracy. They're not on the take from Vegas, they don't care who wins and loses, and they don't fix games for the NCAA or the SEC. They do not work for either. We really make ourselves look dumb with all these conspiracy theories. I'm sorry but it's true. It's not a good look.

I'm convinced the SEC has a vendetta against
Kentucky.

Despite the fact that the Cats are their cash cow in basketball the SEC seems to go out of their way to break it off in UK.

Hell, we sometimes don't get a fair whistle in Rupp!

I mean if you are going to F us on the road at least return the favor in Rupp.

:flush:

with certain schools it's just a thing period, in football UF is one of the heaviest penalized teams if not dead last no matter when they are elite or not, and bama is always the opposite...

football it's really bad

basketball is case to case with so many games and different groups, whoever the crew was today and the SC game for the Gators makes the game a wash. They never let them play at all, i don't want to watch FT contests.. and on top of it, it hurts the style they play and they usually lose those type games, which is what im worried about in tournament play.

I think these conspiracy theories are more a reflection of the filter thru which we see things as fans. Literally every fan base thinks their team gets screwed, but of course that isn't possible.
Take the example given of the ole miss win over Florida. I was at the game too...and remember Henderson and Holloway blowing up. I didn't recall the egregious foul fest that shafted the Gators. So I looked it up.
Total Fouls for the game?
Ole Miss: 16
Florida: 10

Debunked.

And I am not meaning to pick on the gator guy, as the same thing happens here. He just provided a game I remembered differently.
It's not always the number of fouls,but the timing of them and other flow/run stopping calls,everytime Kentucky started stretching the lead vs Alabama a series of crappy calls kept it from getting out of hand.
I'm not sure if it's gambling related or just plain old handicapping for certain teams,or even outright bias against certain teams,but there is a huge difference in SEC games and other conferences.If you think teams like Duke or Kansas don't get special treatment,then you aren't watching very close.Kentucky is in a death match every road game and never gets much home cooking at home,I honestly believe there are many SEC Officials that are Anti-Calipari and UK.
The fact that nearly every game is just a bit too close to the Vegas spread is a bit amazing to me,must have Kreskin setting those lines.

Too many of our fans wear tin foil hats. Always posts and threads in here bitchin about refs whether we win the game by 30 or lose by ten. I can not understand the obsession with the refs by some of our fans. You can watch ANY game and see missed calls and wrong calls, yet some on here think the refs are out to screw UK every game. Very embarrassing.

Reactions: TheAnonymous13
Geez, add another theory to the list of conspiracies. I just don't get why everyone is constantly trying to find a conspiracy. I don't get it.

Why would the officials "spread the wealth"? Why would they do that?

It's an EXTREMELY difficult job to do and some of them are just not that great at it. Period. There is no conspiracy. They're not on the take from Vegas, they don't care who wins and loses, and they don't fix games for the NCAA or the SEC. They do not work for either. We really make ourselves look dumb with all these conspiracy theories. I'm sorry but it's true. It's not a good look.
It always cracks me up to see people worried about how others perceive the fanbase

It's not always the number of fouls,but the timing of them and other flow/run stopping calls,everytime Kentucky started stretching the lead vs Alabama a series of crappy calls kept it from getting out of hand.
I'm not sure if it's gambling related or just plain old handicapping for certain teams,or even outright bias against certain teams,but there is a huge difference in SEC games and other conferences.If you think teams like Duke or Kansas don't get special treatment,then you aren't watching very close.Kentucky is in a death match every road game and never gets much home cooking at home,I honestly believe there are many SEC Officials that are Anti-Calipari and UK.
The fact that nearly every game is just a bit too close to the Vegas spread is a bit amazing to me,must have Kreskin setting those lines.
What is the reason as you see it that KU and Duke get favorable calls and UK always gets screwed? Why do you think that is?

I have really good vision,what I saw last night was Kentucky players getting called for fouls on very little contact in many plays (although I admit Briscoe got away with at least three walks),but at the other end Kentucky's guards were getting hammered hard on every drive with NO CALL.That's not just bad officiating,especially when some of this is right in front of their noses,it's either out right bias or an agenda,take your pick.
Call a game the same at both ends and I'll never complain, If it were just bad officials ,then mistakes would be made consistently on both teams,not just when one team makes a run and starts stretching a lead.It has never been about the number of fouls,(although some of these 40 and 50 foul games really suck),but about timing of calls how they stop the flow of the game,how it keeps games close for networks or audiences,how most games end up too close to spread lines.

I gamble very often and I can assure you that uk games ending close to the point spread is NOT unique to the cats.
Not at all.

That's fine except the poster specifically argued that "everything became a whistle on Florida". That is simply not true, as the Gators ended the game with s very low foul total...and lower than the opponent.

And I'm not picking on the gator guy. I've had these exact conversation w/ uk fans who were convinced the cats were getting screwed--- but the numbers showed otherwise.

We as fans watch games thru a natural and strong bias. And. It impacts how we perceive the game being officiated. Most often we are wrong.

Now I say all of this while fully acknowledging that officiating is ruining many games. But NOT because of some bias or conspiracy, but because of these "points of emphasis" and just how the game is being called these days.

That's fine except the poster specifically argued that "everything became a whistle on Florida". That is simply not true, as the Gators ended the game with s very low foul total...and lower than the opponent.

And I'm not picking on the gator guy. I've had these exact conversation w/ uk fans who were convinced the cats were getting screwed--- but the numbers showed otherwise.

We as fans watch games thru a natural and strong bias. And. It impacts how we perceive the game being officiated. Most often we are wrong.

Now I say all of this while fully acknowledging that officiating is ruining many games. But NOT because of some bias or conspiracy, but because of these "points of emphasis" and just how the game is being called these days.
We all have a certain bias watching games but that doesn't mean we can't criticize horrible officiating that everyone sees. There's been video evidence of just flat out horrible calls made by these pathetic refs so there's no conspiracy theory going on. There's factual evidence to back up claims of horrible refs.

We all have a certain bias watching games but that doesn't mean we can't criticize horrible officiating that everyone sees. There's been video evidence of just flat out horrible calls made by these pathetic refs so there's no conspiracy theory going on. There's factual evidence to back up claims of horrible refs.

Ineptitude does not equate to intentional influencing of games.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I don't know some of the calls these guys make are so bad you almost have to believe something under the table is going on. As with anything in life when real money is involved corruption isn't far behind.
And I'll also add if the refs are that inept then they have no business calling games.

Reactions: Bluest Member
we got lucky today. Lucky that bama shot 1 out of 3 (9 of 26) from the free throw line. Had they shot 2 out of 3 essentially becomes a tie game, or they get the lead if that means extended 1 and 1's and additional makes. But seriously, you have to go into a ball game expecting your opponent to shoot 2/3d's from the foul line. bama gave us that game. Naturally, we could say the refs were favorable to bama with the whistles (lot more fouls against us), but that part is what it is, and we shot like crap too, 10 of 18 is one make better than 50%.
Negative negative.
Bama came in shooting about 65% from the charity stripe, UK came in around 70% as a team.
UK won by 9 points. So, if you factor in both teams shooting their avg. from the line and the 9 point spread, UK still wins.

No luck about it. We went in there backyard,punched them in the mouth, stepped on their throats and kept them down for virtually the entire game.

Last edited:
Too many of our fans wear tin foil hats. Always posts and threads in here bitchin about refs whether we win the game by 30 or lose by ten. I can not understand the obsession with the refs by some of our fans. You can watch ANY game and see missed calls and wrong calls, yet some on here think the refs are out to screw UK every game. Very embarrassing.
At one time, I would have agreed with your comments. But, for the last several games, I have recorded the games, and watched questionable calls in slow motion replay. Sometimes I have had to eat my words, but there are LOTS of fouls called that just were not fouls. And, there are lots of fouls NOT called against our opponents that should have been fouls, especially when compared to the fouls called against us. I don't think it is fair to make such a broad accusation that UK fans have no gripe. Try watching in slow motion sometime, and see what you think.

Honestly, I think it's just that they don't like Cal. I don't think they like UK. I don't they like the OAD kids. I don't think they like the fact that Cal monopolizes the talent. I don't think they like Cal's non pc comments about the NCAA, and the SEC tourney, etc.

I think most of these officials have a "little man" complex and love to do their part leveling the field and helping all these underdogs topple the big bad Kentucky team.

Officials do not care who wins the game. Guys, they just suck across the board.

Also, There are no SEC/ACC/BIG officials. College basketball officials work every conference. It isn't like college football where their officials are designated to certain conferences.

Some of you all are so are up with officials it's comical and sad at the same time. Quit blaming the refs for our team sucking at times. Yes they miss calls but they don't score the points for the other team.

For a few years, I thought the refs were trying to control the spread, and maybe they are. On the other hand, to say that implies that they are skilled. Maybe they are just bad.

Whatever the motive, those guys yesterday were bad.

Remember when Rupp would burn them. I think in those days each coach could black ball a ref or two. Max Macon was the one that I remember that was hated every time he set foot in Memorial Coliseum. We booed his butt every time he took a step. I think Rupp black balled him.

You are so right it will never change.
Anyone remember Dale Kelly during the Hall Regime? He hated UK and it was pretty blatant.

Did anyone watch the Gonzaga St. Marys game? It was refreshing to watch a flipping ball game without the officials crapping all over it. SEC basketball is just flat out unwatchable at present.
Seems as if all of the West Coast teams play an uptempo style of ball that's entertaining to watch. They're not hampered by the officials as in the SEC.

Officials do not care who wins the game. Guys, they just suck across the board.

Also, There are no SEC/ACC/BIG officials. College basketball officials work every conference. It isn't like college football where their officials are designated to certain conferences.

Some of you all are so are up with officials it's comical and sad at the same time. Quit blaming the refs for our team sucking at times. Yes they miss calls but they don't score the points for the other team.

Great post. People just don't understand how the officiating world works. Doug Shows just called the Nova vs Xavier game. Tony Greene was at Cincinnati last week. Officials work multiple conferences.

with certain schools it's just a thing period, in football UF is one of the heaviest penalized teams if not dead last no matter when they are elite or not, and bama is always the opposite...

football it's really bad

basketball is case to case with so many games and different groups, whoever the crew was today and the SC game for the Gators makes the game a wash. They never let them play at all, i don't want to watch FT contests.. and on top of it, it hurts the style they play and they usually lose those type games, which is what im worried about in tournament play.

Football is not bad. The SEC has some of the best officials in the country. Sure, they miss a call here and there but overall, they do a really good job. Nowhere near the basketball officials. If a school leads the league in penalties every year, it's not the officials.

Reactions: Blue_White_KY
Honestly, I think it's just that they don't like Cal. I don't think they like UK. I don't they like the OAD kids. I don't think they like the fact that Cal monopolizes the talent. I don't think they like Cal's non pc comments about the NCAA, and the SEC tourney, etc.

I think most of these officials have a "little man" complex and love to do their part leveling the field and helping all these underdogs topple the big bad Kentucky team.

LMAO at this!

Football is not bad. The SEC has some of the best officials in the country. Sure, they miss a call here and there but overall, they do a really good job. Nowhere near the basketball officials. If a school leads the league in penalties every year, it's not the officials.

find it very odd that Florida leads the conference in penalties through 5 different staffs and players as a constant whether they are winning it all or just decent, and the opposite no matter how good or bad bama's teams are.

find it very odd that Florida leads the conference in penalties through 5 different staffs and players as a constant whether they are winning it all or just decent, and the opposite no matter how good or bad bama's teams are.

A change of staffs doesn't always mean a change in cultures. If want you're saying was right, which it's not but for the sake of argument, let's say it was then EVERY single official in the SEC would have to have a personal issue with Florida. Now, does that seem logical to you? Are you saying that they just throw flags for phantom penalties? They wouldn't last very long in the SEC if they did that.
The more logical scenario would be the culture, the discipline, coaches, philosophies, type of players Florida recruited, etc. That is the much more logical reason why, don't ya think?
Do you think that all the officials just love Bama and cheats for them every year? Or that Saban runs an incredibly tight ship and demands discipline from his players Year in and year out? What seems more logical to you?
When a team leads the league in penalties consistently every year, it is usually because of the culture instilled in that program or franchise. You see it in every sport and in every league. The Raiders led the NFL in penalties for forever even though they changed coaches every other year. Staff changes doesnt necessarily fix the issue. Especially when schools hire from the same coaching tree.
I could literally go on and on with reasons why this happens but just think about it logically and I shouldn't have to explain any of this. Thought that there is a mass conspiracy against UF is just absurd. I personally know a lot of SEC football officials and I can guarantee that they could care less about UF or Bama winning or losing. They don't sit around and figure out ways to screw Florida every year. I'm sorry but it's not happening. It does not happen. It's just doesn't. Sorry.

The ones that say that are usually the ones that are responsible for making us look so dumb sometimes. Just sayin.
Your Daddy must be one of the Refs on the take the way you are defending them,maybe if you spent more time worrying about yourself ,you wouldn't feel so offended by other people.
Please don't get too high on yourself,like you are the know all,I've found that people with closed minds like a bolted sewer lid are the ones who cannot see the forest for the trees.

Reactions: Kerry Kat
Your Daddy must be one of the Refs on the take the way you are defending them,maybe if you spent more time worrying about yourself ,you wouldn't feel so offended by other people.
Please don't get too high on yourself,like you are the know all,I've found that people with closed minds like a bolted sewer lid are the ones who cannot see the forest for the trees.

Buhahaa! If that's not calling the kettle black then I don't know what is. Your view is about as close minded as you can get. It screams close minded!! Why do you turn to insults instead of talking about the topic at hand? Let me guess, cause you don't know anything about what you are talking about. That's usually the case when people start responding by being an ass.
Considering I've been in the field for over 20 years, I'd say that makes me the know all over you. That's for damn sure. The one thing I've learned over those years is you just can't fix stupid and some fans are just plain stupid. Some fans don't know what they're talking about so they just turn to throwing insults and getting pissed off. That's when I know that I might as well just not even try cause they don't know anything else to do but be an asshole. They know nothing about what they're talking about, so they'll just be an ass. Looks like the shoe fits here. Good day!

Obviously you're unfamiliar with Cal's record and technicals called when Ayers, Green, Valentine or Shows are officiating. I'll give you a hint...it's in stark contrast with his overall record and techs called from the rest of the field.

Yes, I do. Of course Cal's record is going to be lower when some of those guys officiate. They officiate some of UK's biggest games against the toughest opponents. So, we lose more of those games than we do when we play in the SEC. That's just common sense.

Look, I'm not saying that there aren't some officials that apprear to not get along with other coaches and they very well might not like each other. And that may come into play sometimes which is unfortunate. I'm not saying they're perfect by any means. Honestly, I don't think they're very good right now. But with that said, it doesn't mean that they're coming into the game looking to screw anyone. They don't pregame how to screw Cal, UK, or anyone else. It just doesn't happen and using a win loss record with those officials does not justify your point. They officiate UK against top competition, so his losses will be greater, as well as the T's he receives. How many times you seen Cal get a technical against a weak opponent? Not very often.

A change of staffs doesn't always mean a change in cultures. If want you're saying was right, which it's not but for the sake of argument, let's say it was then EVERY single official in the SEC would have to have a personal issue with Florida. Now, does that seem logical to you? Are you saying that they just throw flags for phantom penalties? They wouldn't last very long in the SEC if they did that.

The more logical scenario would be the culture, the discipline, coaches, philosophies, type of players Florida recruited, etc. That is the much more logical reason why, don't ya think?
Do you think that all the officials just love Bama and cheats for them every year? Or that Saban runs an incredibly tight ship and demands discipline from his players Year in and year out? What seems more logical to you?
When a team leads the league in penalties consistently every year, it is usually because of the culture instilled in that program or franchise. You see it in every sport and in every league. The Raiders led the NFL in penalties for forever even though they changed coaches every other year. Staff changes doesnt necessarily fix the issue. Especially when schools hire from the same coaching tree.
I could literally go on and on with reasons why this happens but just think about it logically and I shouldn't have to explain any of this. Thought that there is a mass conspiracy against UF is just absurd. I personally know a lot of SEC football officials and I can guarantee that they could care less about UF or Bama winning or losing. They don't sit around and figure out ways to screw Florida every year. I'm sorry but it's not happening. It does not happen. It's just doesn't. Sorry.

::disclaimer:: I played football for Shula and graduated from the University of Alabama, so it's just an observation overall from my experience...

Well that's not possible or logical, my question is more to the topic we were discussing on which teams get a few more breaks overall in conferences like KU in basketball from another thread. It seems that if it were indeed something outside of a culture problem for these teams, the officials from the conference overall seem to pick at them more and throw more flags, and that would also mean Bama would have to have to best culture or discipline of every team in the SEC by FAR, and every season... even the ones that were on probation (I was there just after this). There's a theme here is all im pointing out, im not saying anything crazy, im just pointing out what we have on paper to discuss.. and from that, we see that Bama is the least penalized/ most disciplined team a little too often no matter how good or bad they have been even in the Shula years, exact opposite with Florida and a few others with numerous coaching changes and all different players during the same span. It's just a little quirky to me is all

Buhahaa! If that's not calling the kettle black then I don't know what is. Your view is about as close minded as you can get. It screams close minded!! Why do you turn to insults instead of talking about the topic at hand? Let me guess, cause you don't know anything about what you are talking about. That's usually the case when people start responding by being an ass.
Considering I've been in the field for over 20 years, I'd say that makes me the know all over you. That's for damn sure. The one thing I've learned over those years is you just can't fix stupid and some fans are just plain stupid. Some fans don't know what they're talking about so they just turn to throwing insults and getting pissed off. That's when I know that I might as well just not even try cause they don't know anything else to do but be an asshole. They know nothing about what they're talking about, so they'll just be an ass. Looks like the shoe fits here. Good day!
Maybe you should come out of the "Field" and watch a basketball game "Mr Expert" that thinks he has some knowledge above all others.As for slinging insults,you threw the first punch junior.
People who think they can control how others think or act are just Shit Out Of Luck,not going to happen Bubba.I don't care if you are a Ref,that gives me less of an opinion of you than I already have now.We won't discuss intelligence,because I'm pretty sure I'd put you to shame in that Dept.,Being a Referee doesn't take a Brain Surgeon or Rocket Scientist,and thinking every basketball official is Totally Honest is very optimistic,but very likely wrong.If refs are this incompetent or the job is just too hard,then what does that say about their intelligence or ability.Sounds like they need replaced.

Maybe you should come out of the "Field" and watch a basketball game "Mr Expert" that thinks he has some knowledge above all others.As for slinging insults,you threw the first punch junior.
People who think they can control how others think or act are just Shit Out Of Luck,not going to happen Bubba.I don't care if you are a Ref,that gives me less of an opinion of you than I already have now.We won't discuss intelligence,because I'm pretty sure I'd put you to shame in that Dept.,Being a Referee doesn't take a Brain Surgeon or Rocket Scientist,and thinking every basketball official is Totally Honest is very optimistic,but very likely wrong.If refs are this incompetent or the job is just too hard,then what does that say about their intelligence or ability.Sounds like they need replaced.

You're an idiot. Saying someone is ignorant is not an insult. With your vast intelligence, I thought you would know that sir. It's funny that you are so defensive. You constantly feel the need to tell everyone how smart you are and how dumb we all are on here. You really don't need to do that though, your 6th grade sentence structure tells us all we need to know. Have a nice day sir!

::disclaimer:: I played football for Shula and graduated from the University of Alabama, so it's just an observation overall from my experience...

Well that's not possible or logical, my question is more to the topic we were discussing on which teams get a few more breaks overall in conferences like KU in basketball from another thread. It seems that if it were indeed something outside of a culture problem for these teams, the officials from the conference overall seem to pick at them more and throw more flags, and that would also mean Bama would have to have to best culture or discipline of every team in the SEC by FAR, and every season... even the ones that were on probation (I was there just after this). There's a theme here is all im pointing out, im not saying anything crazy, im just pointing out what we have on paper to discuss.. and from that, we see that Bama is the least penalized/ most disciplined team a little too often no matter how good or bad they have been even in the Shula years, exact opposite with Florida and a few others with numerous coaching changes and all different players during the same span. It's just a little quirky to me is all

Given your history within the league and being part of the topic first hand, what do you believe to be the issue? I'm just curious to hear a standpoint from someone that has lived it themselves.

That there is favoritism with the offices in birmingham towards some of these schools. Alabama and Auburn definitely, Bama has SO much money for their program it's insane to realize until you are there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT