ADVERTISEMENT

Antigua

From what I’ve seen today, Antigua and his family love Lexington and they don’t want to move. At some point you are tired of jumping from jobs and want to stay in one place.
Matt Jones is insinuating some big news on the staff side. Also if they land a certain assistant, the guy will have a couple players come or stay with him

Reactions: Fox2monk
Coach Antigua was responsible for the only good years we had in 2 decades, and having him recruit exclusively while Pope handles the practices and x and I part of the job is a great thing. The other 2 assistant coaches can worry about the rest. At least one assistant needs to worry about recruiting and he's top tier. Don't let our hate for Cal make someone who is begging to stay leave when he's great as that part of being an assistant

Are you enjoying bringing info from HOB to Rafters on nearly a daily basis while under your free trial?

Also, when you cite info, you need to cite the source. Don't come running in here acting as if you have all these insider connections when you're just reading it everywhere else and then running to Rafters to be "FIRST" and appear like some kind of "yeah brah...I got the connections!"
He does the same on the KSR board. Brings info from there to here and says a source told him. LOL

Would not retaining an existing assistant coach like O be very valuable in helping to a new coach know his way around a new environment such as UK and dealing with all those new people that the new coach will need to have contact with? I would think someone like that would be invaluable?

Reactions: westerncat
I mentioned this in a previous thread but I'd be fine with Antigua staying of all the members of Cal's previous staff. And from all reports, he REALLY wants to stay in Lexington. If he's all-in on the new regime, I'd keep him if I were Pope.

I read Antigua is owed a sizable bonus from UK in June. He's also making $900K a year. I don't know what Pope's new assistants will make but I'm guessing it's nowhere near that.

If they keep him on board and continue to pay him almost a $1 million he better hand-deliver a few studs per season. Because the scouting and game preparation under Cal has been atrocious.

At this point this is kind of a weird story. You hear Pope don’t want him and if that is the case and he’s trying to still recruit for UK. How does he know what kind of players Pope wants to move forward with???? Man this is really bizarre…

At this point this is kind of a weird story. You hear Pope don’t want him and if that is the case and he’s trying to still recruit for UK. How does he know what kind of players Pope wants to move forward with???? Man this is really bizarre…
Y’all real life think Coach O is out recruiting random players for UK on his own? Seriously, that’s a plausible thought in your minds?

If O is such a good Coach and recruiter while is CAL not taking him to Arkansas? Also O seems to be a yes man as he went along with CAL’s snake oil gig and didn’t seem to offer much resistance.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Perhaps Antigua is fed up with Cal, won't stick with him like Welch too, so he won't follow him to another coaching stop. Working for someone who knows it all, never listens to anyone else gets old. Guess we'll see. Things are different when you are winning. Antigua can recruit anywhere from Memphis, UK to Illinois. No wonder the latter also has interest in bringing him back for a reason.

Last edited:
Y’all real life think Coach O is out recruiting random players for UK on his own? Seriously, that’s a plausible thought in your minds?
Hey I was just going by what I was reading in here. Not saying it was the gospel or anything

Reactions: BBUK
He does the same on the KSR board. Brings info from there to here and says a source told him. LOL

Richie, you on KSR+?

I share some stuff from that site but always say where I'm hearing it. Don't have HOB so can't speak to it....also don't remember usernames well enough to recognize the trend.

Like the change of pace on that board. It is funny though, I feel like my attitude about Cal changed around the time I joined there.

I didn't even want him to re- oin UK's staff the last time and don't think he should be on Pope's. Stockholm syndrome is popping up again for some people.

Are you enjoying bringing info from HOB to Rafters on nearly a daily basis while under your free trial?

Also, when you cite info, you need to cite the source. Don't come running in here acting as if you have all these insider connections when you're just reading it everywhere else and then running to Rafters to be "FIRST" and appear like some kind of "yeah brah...I got the connections!"
Oh my.

He was also in the craft center today, maybe nothing to that but still
Let me guess, Trilly or Pilgrim?

/thread.

Reactions: JFCats22
I read Antigua is owed a sizable bonus from UK in June. He's also making $900K a year. I don't know what Pope's new assistants will make but I'm guessing it's nowhere near that.

If they keep him on board and continue to pay him almost a $1 million he better hand-deliver a few studs per season. Because the scouting and game preparation under Cal has been atrocious.

Then hell, tell him if he wants the position so bad to take a pay cut? If he wants it bad enough, I'm sure 750k a year is still doable. Or maybe less but a bonus him on recruiting victories? I don't know how contracts work but it's hard to consider Pope not wanting an elite recruiter who WANTS to stay, regardless of wanting to cut ties with Cal or not.

The Trojan horse thing makes me laugh. If he was so ferociously loyal to Cal that he would risk doing something stupid at his job, why did he not go to Ark? Keep the best recruiting assistant in the country if you can.

Everybody gets along with Pope. Everybody gets along with Antigua. This is not Chin we're talking about.

If O is such a good Coach and recruiter while is CAL not taking him to Arkansas? Also O seems to be a yes man as he went along with CAL’s snake oil gig and didn’t seem to offer much resistance.
By all means I am not 💯 on board with Coach O just yet.

But his wife has ties here, his wife and daughter DO NOT WANT TO LEAVE Lexington.
They are building a new home.

So I kinda understand were O is coming from.

Now is hiring him the right thing to do long term? That’s for someone who signs his checks and Pope to make that decision.

I’m not sure how I feel about this. Antigua wants to stay because nowhere else is going to come close to laying him $900k a year and UK owes him $400k retention bonus on June 1.

Plus, there HAS to be some loyalty on his part to Cal. Unless they grew to dislike each other (which nobody has heard is the case) I don’t know how Pope can take the risk of keeping him.

I'll say the same about O as I just did about KP in the thread about him.

Have to put Cal beef aside.

Those two can recruit. They have the connections to all the former players in the league and could keep them close to the University, which has never been more important than now in NIL era.

All that "La Familia" stuff...well O and KP can run La Familia Wealth/Philanthropy office and tap into money, resources, big names and help build the collective.

They don't have to be on the bench directly involved in Xs Os.

By all means I am not 💯 on board with Coach O just yet.

But his wife has ties here, his wife and daughter DO NOT WANT TO LEAVE Lexington.
They are building a new home.

So I kinda understand were O is coming from.

Now is hiring him the right thing to do long term? That’s for someone who signs his checks and Pope to make that decision.
Yes it is.

I’m not sure how I feel about this. Antigua wants to stay because nowhere else is going to come close to laying him $900k a year and UK owes him $400k retention bonus on June 1.

Plus, there HAS to be some loyalty on his part to Cal. Unless they grew to dislike each other (which nobody has heard is the case) I don’t know how Pope can take the risk of keeping him.
News flash. Unfortunately, Cal wears on everyone.

Reactions: Short-Dawg-69
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT