ADVERTISEMENT

Huge Mistake

Years ago he would have been the ideal candidate. Now, he has been out of the college game for a long time. College has changed dramatically since. Not sure he could adapt to all of the changes.

If Billy D was not contacted before Drew was offered. He could’ve/would’ve been the Saban of basketball here. And the timing seemed right if it ever were going to happen.
I just don’t agree with that all. I think you are living in the past. He is pretty far down the list for me.

Reactions: TM2013
I like Donovan, and get excited about the thought of him at Kentucky. But it has been a long time. Things are different. He knows that. Hiring him, under a massive contract is risky. And if it didn't work out, the ones yelling at Mitch for not offering might be the same ones yelling about how he could get the job after being gone so long. There are risks with everyone, and no one is a sure thing.

If Mitch wants Drew, let him get Drew. It'll be alright. Drew isn't a bad coach. He might even kill it. We don't know.

you hire someone and have people for that. Simple. And coach.

It’d actually be easier than recruiting back in the day imo

Reactions: dl51344
I think coaching in the NBA helps with modern basketball a little
I’m not worried about the coaching aspect, I know donavon is a damn good coach. I worry about him adapting to NIl and the portal. He left Florida because he didn’t want to deal with recruiting anymore

Last edited:
Reactions: Doodah859
If Billy D was not contacted before Drew was offered. He could’ve/would’ve been the Saban of basketball here. And the timing seemed right if it ever were going to happen.

Billy Donovan is now on Saban levels? Some of you just like to set yourself up for disappointment.

The same fans who down played Cal winning a title with two returning players because of the "NBA lockout".. want to pretend that Billy D keeping the same title team a 2nd year (which almost never happens), is a fully warranted accolade. Billy donovans two titles are closer to any coaches 1 title, than it is someone like Jay Wright or Hurley who won titles with different teams, in terms of actually earning the success.. Billy Donovan also made his mark when the SEC was at its low point.. or certainly lower than it is now. Further, hes like 5-11 against Kentucky once Cal got there and actually gave Florida some decent competition.

Then there's the whole aspect of NBA vs college. In the NBA, Billy donovan has an owner and a GM to handle all the basketball operations. An NBA coach doesn't have to worry about recruiting, players graduating, the transfer portal. There's no NIL to figure out. Your GM helps put the team around you, and you just have to worry about coaching.

We need to realize that the UK job is more than just coaching and Xs and Os.. and that seems to be the only part that Billy Donovan even enjoys, because he largely left the game because of his disinterest in recruiting.

Billy Donovan is now on Saban levels? Some of you just like to set yourself up for disappointment.

The same fans who down played Cal winning a title with two returning players because of the "NBA lockout".. want to pretend that Billy D keeping the same title team a 2nd year (which almost never happens), is a fully warranted accolade. Billy donovans two titles are close to any coaches 1 title, than it is someone like Jay Wright or Hurley who won titles with different teams. Billy Donovan also made his mark when the SEC was at its low point.. or certainly lower than it is now. Further, hes like 5-11 against Kentucky once Cal got there and actually gave Florida some decent competition.

Then there's the whole aspect of NBA vs college. In the NBA, Billy donovan has an owner and a GM to handle all the basketball operations. An NBA coach doesn't have to worry about recruiting, players graduating, the transfer portal. There's no NIL to figure out. Your GM helps put the team around you, and you just have to worry about coaching.

We need to realize that the UK job is more than just coaching and Xs and Os.. and that seems to be the only part that Billy Donovan even enjoys, because he largely left the game because of his disinterest in recruiting.
Lol, Donovan can easily hire a director of NIL operations like Cal had in Beisner. He also has 3-4 staff spots he can fill up to help him out. And yes, that includes recruiting.

Reactions: AJG-15
Lol, Donovan can easily hire a director of NIL operations like Cal had in Beisner. He also has 3-4 staff spots he can fill up to help him out. And yes, that includes recruiting.

He still has to WANT to deal with NIL, on top of proving he understands how to use it. Coaches are still apart of the NIL process.

3-4 assistant spots? Meh. He has that in the NBA and Chicago fans mostly don't want him back.

Billy donovan would be coming back to fill a heck of a lot more roles as a college coach than an NBA coach. And that's a big reason why NBA coaches almost never go back down the ladder.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Man. It would be awesome if some of us could quit living in 1997 (Pitino) and 2007 (Donovan).

Donovan isn’t coming here. Maybe we can ask him again in 15 more years and he’ll say yes then.

Reactions: blubo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT