ADVERTISEMENT

Huge Mistake

Billy Donovan is now on Saban levels? Some of you just like to set yourself up for disappointment.

The same fans who down played Cal winning a title with two returning players because of the "NBA lockout".. want to pretend that Billy D keeping the same title team a 2nd year (which almost never happens), is a fully warranted accolade. Billy donovans two titles are closer to any coaches 1 title, than it is someone like Jay Wright or Hurley who won titles with different teams, in terms of actually earning the success.. Billy Donovan also made his mark when the SEC was at its low point.. or certainly lower than it is now. Further, hes like 5-11 against Kentucky once Cal got there and actually gave Florida some decent competition.

Then there's the whole aspect of NBA vs college. In the NBA, Billy donovan has an owner and a GM to handle all the basketball operations. An NBA coach doesn't have to worry about recruiting, players graduating, the transfer portal. There's no NIL to figure out. Your GM helps put the team around you, and you just have to worry about coaching.

We need to realize that the UK job is more than just coaching and Xs and Os.. and that seems to be the only part that Billy Donovan even enjoys, because he largely left the game because of his disinterest in recruiting.
Not reading all that. But yes, Billy Donovan could have the same success saban had at Alabama if he came to Kentucky. That’s what I meant and it’s not crazy to think.

Not reading all that. But yes, Billy Donovan could have the same success saban had at Alabama if he came to Kentucky. That’s what I meant and it’s not crazy to think.

It's like 300 words, it's as tough as it looks.

And no, he can't lol. No coach can have that type of success in college basketball (although Hurley might be able to).

The Saban of college basketball, and I'm the one being subpoenaed by other fans here? Sometimes I really don't get this fanbase.

Reactions: JoshAllenFan
A dude that HATES recruiting, HATES NIL and runs an offense that is over 10 years old which is how long it's been since he coached in college?????On top of all that, his current team's fans are HOPING he gets a shot at the UK job. And he turned UK down TWICE before!!!

Comparing Billy D to Saban is RIDICULOUS!!!!

I would rather have Scott Drew by a LONG shot.

you hire someone and have people for that. Simple. And coach.

It’d actually be easier than recruiting back in the day imo
Really? That's not what the coaches say. I heard an interview with Hurley on Monday where he said he's glad that he doesn't have to worry about re-recruiting his roster until after the title game.

Jay Wright, Roy Williams and Coach K all retired, in part, due to the transfer portal and NIL.

It's not as easy as you think it is. If it were, everyone would have it figured out.

A dude that HATES recruiting, HATES NIL and runs an offense that is over 10 years old which is how long it's been since he coached in college?????On top of all that, his current team's fans are HOPING he gets a shot at the UK job. And he turned UK down TWICE before!!!

Nailed it. His team in the NBA won't finish above .500 and he's gonna be the 10th seed in the expanded playoffs. Chicago fans want him gone. And you can say what you want about Chicago's roster compared to someone like Denver.. but it's a salary cap league, Chicago has the same money to use, just like the Lakers..

All that said, I'm fine with Donovan.. my real issue here is waiting for him, and the event he says no. You wait for Hurley.. you don't wait for Billy Donovan who turned us down twice already.

I'd make him sign a contract tonight.. his team isn't winning the play-in games in a week or so anyways..

Reactions: catben

Both did damn good in college their first go round, won titles actually. Then went to the pros and didn’t exactly have the same success…then comes back to the college ranks where they once dominated, but this time at the best program in America and absolutely murders everyone.

Seems pretty f’ing identical to me.

Both did damn good in college their first go round, won titles actually. Then went to the pros and didn’t exactly have the same success…then comes back to the college ranks where they once dominated, but this time at the best program in America and absolutely murders everyone.

Seems pretty f’ing identical to me.
Not even close!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT