ADVERTISEMENT

Ansley Almonor

He has only missed twice in over 100 predictions so when he says something you can pretty much take it to the bank
His final predictions are usually money, but it's his early smoke that sometimes misleads our fan base into thinking we've got a kid locked up.

There's been some of that on this message board, where we take his early smoke as gospel, whereas we should take his final word as a pretty much definitive outlook.

The issue is that our message board blends the two worlds together.

Ansley Almonor at 6’7” is pretty much a below-the-rim player who shoots the three well and finishes at the rim with shots off the backboard,, which I like.
I just wonder how he is defensively and whether he can rebound. Those are areas where we need help to complement our two bigs underneath.

Last edited:
Williams - Garrison
Carr - Almonor - Oweh
Brea - Oweh - Chandler - Noah
Lanier - Brea - Chandler - Perry
Butler - KK - Perry

The depth and balance on that team would be amongst the nation's finest. Tons of competency at every position. Could end up being the deepest team in the nation with a 1995-esque feel to what they can do schematically. No real NBA-level star, but plenty of guys who can slit your throat at every position.

I love it.

His final predictions are usually money, but it's his early smoke that sometimes misleads our fan base into thinking we've got a kid locked up.

There's been some of that on this message board, where we take his early smoke as gospel, whereas we should take his final word as a pretty much definitive outlook.

The issue is that our message board blends the two worlds together.
I can fully agree with the early day stuff for sure, but when it’s time to get a prediction correct he is spot on

Yeah I don’t get why people upset here. Seems perfect. It’s hard to find someone in the portal willing to come off the bench / play a reserve role.
He's about as good as a bench role player that is available in the portal right now. It's fascinating from a scheme perspective, because if Pope has his way, he'll go into next season with SIX guys who shot at least 37% from three last year (Oweh, Brea, Almonor, KK, Carr, Lanier), plus three incoming guys who will probably shoot the same percentage (Perry, Chandler, Noah).

We'll have 8 or 9 guys who can kill their opponents from three point range. Amazingly, we won't have to do it while being bludgeoned to death on the defensive end. We'll have some physical warriors in Williams, Garrison, Carr, Oweh, and Butler.

We could end up with a bit of everything, and probably the most balanced UK team we've seen in years (if it all comes together with Lanier and Almonor or Wells).

They need one guy, and then they will be set.
Yeah, this roster and how next season goes is looking to be extremely dependent upon Pope's system AND them gelling well, early and always...but especially come tourney time. I hope Pope is right and I trust that he is but we could be great...or pretty horrible. We'll see. I still think we'll be fine and with veteran defensive stars, we'll be fine, even on nights where shots don't fall. But...big BUT...we need a shot creator on this roster. One difference maker that can flat out beat virtually anyone off the dribble and finish at the rim. One! We need a Dilly!

Yeah, this roster and how next season goes is looking to be extremely dependent upon Pope's system AND them gelling well, early and always...but especially come tourney time. I hope Pope is right and I trust that he is but we could be great...or pretty horrible. We'll see. I still think we'll be fine and with veteran defensive stars, we'll be fine, even on nights where shots don't fall. But...big BUT...we need a shot creator on this roster. One difference maker that can flat out beat virtually anyone off the dribble and finish at the rim. One! We need a Dilly!
The beating your man off the dribble isn’t as important in an offense that is based on multiple looks and sets. They just need a clear number 1 option scorer. Whether that’s laneir Robinson or somebody is else TBT

Last edited:
following means nothing unless all the top choices say no and its just a practice player

He wasn't in a mid major conference.
Any lower tier conference I consider mid majors. I get it players are only good enough for Kentucky is they are superstars or McDonald’s all Americans. It’s not like the player of the year in the conference last year came from northern Colorado or our best scorer last year came from Illinois state.

Any lower tier conference I consider mid majors. I get it players are only good enough for Kentucky is they are superstars or McDonald’s all Americans. It’s not like the player of the year in the conference KAT year came from northern Colorado or our best scorer last year came from Illinois state.
Well, you're wrong. The conference he is in is a low major. The hierarchy isn't high major then mid major, then nothing. Simply makes no sense. He's also nowhere near the level of Reeves or Knecht and you know it. So quit making that comparison.

Well, you're wrong. The conference he is in is a low major. The hierarchy isn't high major then mid major, then nothing. Simply makes no sense. He's also nowhere near the level of Reeves or Knecht and you know it. So quit making that comparison.
You don’t know that either. You’ re just complaining to complain and have no basis for your argument. Saying a player is bad or can’t play here based on a 5 min highlight video is the dumbest thing possible. And by the way for your criteria northern Colorado isn’t a mid major either. So Knecht came from about the same level as almanor.

Reactions: JASUN74
You don’t know that either. You’ re just complaining to complain and have no basis for your argument. Saying a player is bad or can’t play here based on a 5 min highlight video is the dumbest thing possible. And by the way for your criteria northern Colorado isn’t a mid major either. So Knecht came from about the same level as almanor.
Knecht was much better coming out. You're blindly defending this guy based on him avg 16 points at a super low d1 school. Askew did that for a season playing against much better competition. You claimed he would be a major contributor simply because he was a d1 player averaging that. The burden of proof lies on you for those claims. Do you want me to go through the 16ppg players that would amount to nothing at a program like UK, KU, Duke, or UNC? You made the blanket statement, not me.

A dude who got 16 ppg is a 13th man?
I just don’t get it. The commenters here along with the folks you see on Twitter with the negative comments about the kid…when he’s tagged in the thread! Just craziness to me.

I would be down for this addition as I said previously. Obviously this guy would be to add depth. But a couple of notes about him most probably wouldn’t know:
-he was the biggest guy on FDU that played last year. So “banging” against the second biggest guy for our opponents even at a higher level is conceivable.
-he is a great floor spacer. He made 93 3s last year at an almost 40% clip. 93 3s is more than Antonio Reeves or anyone on our team last year! He made more 3s than Mitchell, Wagner, Edwards, and Thiero combined.

One thing that peeves me about some of the attitudes towards transfers is the dismissiveness to players.

Below are stats of two guys UK fans have went crazy for this spring and would be the “studs” they’re looking for. Stats are from 2022-23 season(this before they could’ve joined last year in theory).

-sophomore, non shooter, 10 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 1 APG, 1 BPG. On the KenPom 113th best team. He transferred after this season. 247 has a list of top transfers for 2023. Has almost 400 players on it. Did not include this guy.

-junior, 4.7 PPG, 20 MPG, 2.5 RPG, 1 APG, on the 231st KenPom team. Kid has actually played at Rupp before so we “know” how he does against “top talent”. 2 points, 2 boards, 0 assists, 18 minutes in a 40 point loss. 17 minutes, 0-5 from the field, 2 boards, 1 assist, in a 34 point loss.

Because I know people on this board are crazy, I know people will recognize the two above profiles to be Great Osobor and Chaz Lanier. I’m not disparaging either guy. My point is more around the lack of being able to tell what a player will be that next year. Scouting on the part of these coaches and fit in system will be so important, much more so than rankings and box score stats.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT