ADVERTISEMENT

After all the beating and banging SDSU does…

That’s a bit strange. You make the the call that presents itself. You don’t worry about anything else at the time.
Don, Think about how much you hate Officials who blow a whistle every trip down the floor. Good Officials "let kids play" as much as they can.

All contact is not a Foul (Judgment is required)
3 second lane...Nobody wants that called unless some takes advantage
Coaches or Players bitching is a T
Etc Etc

Ending a game with a Whistle is wrong when contact like that went on for 39 minutes.
Reverse the teams and the same reaction from San Diego State.

I think the issue is more so how the game was called for the first 35 minutes. Once you set the tone one way, you really need to just leave it that way.

But the bigger problem is why the hell is there even a "tone" when it comes to college basketball officiating? You don't see that in other sports. They don't just have one NFL game where you can pummel the QB at will, and the next game after you can't touch them.

There should be one way you officiate the game.
Exactly, imagine if we lost on that call, which we have many times. We would be so pissed off. That’s a final four gone poof.

According to the style of play the officials allowed the game to be played at, it wasn’t a foul

NCAA games average around 34 team fouls per game, and this tournament has been on par with that. Today, there were 22 fouls called. SDS is very physical and had been getting away with more physical stuff than the last play.

They let them play physical all game and then called THAT.

Thats not right.

If they had called it tight then absolutely you call that foul.

Just be consistent, that call was not consistent with the way it had been officiated all game.

Foul call
While technically a foul it’s not one a ref worth his salt would call in that moment
It can be justified according to the rules
But…
If it's a foul and you don't call it because it's the last seconds of the game, then you are deciding the outcome as a ref. A foul is a foul, regardless of when it takes place in a game. A defender shouldn't have the advantage to be able to commit a foul as the clock is ticking down knowing they won't call it.

If it's a foul and you don't call it because it's the last seconds of the game, then you are deciding the outcome as a ref. A foul is a foul, regardless of when it takes place in a game. A defender shouldn't have the advantage to be able to commit a foul as the clock is ticking down knowing they won't call it.
Then SDSU should’ve had 15-20 fouls per half, if that’s the case. They knocked the piss out of Creighton every time they went to the basket, with no call. It’s absurd.

To all the people saying you don't believe that was a foul... would you want your defender doing that in that situation if you were the coach? Would you coach that expecting to get away with that obvious foul? Grabbing a player up in the air in the act of shooting from behind? Really?

Reactions: SpritzFritz
This is the biggest gripe I have with officials in ALL sports

Was that a foul? Yes Had they let them get a way with more all game? Yes

There is no consistency.

The last 2 Super Bowls were won on PI calls that hadn't been made all game. Look at the end of the Chiefs-Bengals game.

Heck, FAU should have lost to Memphis in the first round this year. Memphis called a TO with the ball the officials didn't give them and called a jump ball that set up FAUs winner.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
57-56?

Weren’t these teams supposedly playing this wonderful “modern offense”?

I’ll admit I didn’t watch the game. I see a lot of whining about this obvious foul call deciding the game.

Maybe he makes the shot if r wasn’t fouled?

Either way, it didn’t decide the game. The other 39 minutes decided the game.

113 points total from modern offense seems about right.

Oh for the good ole days of old fashioned offense.

Maybe we will have some FF games in the 40’s?

57-56?

I’ll admit I didn’t watch the game. I see a lot of whining about this obvious foul call deciding the game.

SDSU relies on physical defense. When the refs allow them to bump, bang, and foul all day without calls, kind of hard for any offense to get out of the box.

SDSU in no way, shape, or form would ever be accused of playing modern offense.

The inconsistency is definitely what bothers me about the call. I can’t stand teams like SDSU and Tennessee that thrive on mucking up the game by hand checking every dribbler, bumping every cutter, and throwing people to the floor for rebounds. In my ideal world, that last play would be a foul all day every day, and I think the game would be better for it. You can’t let them play the way I described above all day, then suddenly benefit them by calling a foul for bumping the shooter on the last play though. That’s just infuriating.

Last edited:
57-56?

It’s hard to run any offense when the game is allowed to be that physical. The horrid officiating didn’t just start on the last play. It had been going on all game long. They called 22 fouls in a game where there probably should have been 50.

57-56?

Your hero has 10 games a year like that.

57-56?

Remember couple years ago when then NCAA said they were gonna put a bigger emphasis on freedom of movement so teams could score more and make defense less physical? Whatever happened to that? We are back to what I call the Pitino style defense where they can't call everything. But if teams were punished for it then teams would stop that style of defense. But for whatever reason officials have allowed it. Mucking it up like the game has become negates talent and makes the game unbearable to watch.

Remember couple years ago when then NCAA said they were gonna put a bigger emphasis on freedom of movement so teams could score more and make defense less physical? Whatever happened to that? We are back to what I call the Pitino style defense where they can't call everything. But if teams were punished for it then teams would stop that style of defense. But for whatever reason officials have allowed it. Mucking it up like the game has become negates talent and makes the game unbearable to watch.
What happened is that people complained that style of officiating was turning games into marathon free throw contests, so they backed off in the middle of the year. There may have been some merit to the complaint in the short term, but I wish they had stuck to their guns. I still think defenses would have eventually adjusted and we could have gained a better product in the long run.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT