ADVERTISEMENT

Adam Silver: End of one & done

I really don't give a crap if Woo and Sheray hang out 3 or 4 years at all.
An average of 4 kids went pro a year the 10 years none and done existed. That number was skewed by the fact that like 10 came out the last year they could. Most years it was 2 or 3. Like this year class of the kids we signed how many u think we lose to the very strong 17 draft? probably none. Diallo almost made it because of freak athleticism. The top 10 kids this year. Bagley Bamba, Porter, perhaps Robinson probably go straight from hs that leaves a lot talent.

Why do people act like one and done is ruining basketball when you could enter the draft after a year of college beforehand as well? All it did was require kids to sit a year after HS and pretty much help the talent level of college basketball.

He'd be gone. Just because he wasn't predicted to be #1 doesn't mean he wouldn't be drafted.

It might keep a Daniel Orton or a Booker. A high quality big man? Nope.
So the draft will just be full of hs seniors lol why don't u go look at the list of quality bigs that played last time it was straight from hs.
Truth is players like Bam and Richards most likely go to college. Hell Wendal Carter from this year ranked top 5 would have struggled to be first round in the 17 draft.

It is all about getting ownership more of the pie by ratcheting down payrolls by moving veterans out faster and having more and more on the rookie scale.

I'd like to hear your reasoning on this. How would this impact the existing collectively bargained revenue split between players and owners?

Maybe a few teams could carry lower payrolls, but there's already a payroll floor in place for each team as well.

We'll lose our Wall's and Davis'.. and that will stink. But recruiting should still be the same. I'm not even sure how many players will make that jump.. it really didn't work for a lot of guys. I think we'll be surprised at how many top10 players suck it up and play two years of college.

Gotta think though, UK will eat first with players who actually have to stay.

At this point, the end of OAD would hurt Duke more than it would hurt us. As has been pointed out here many times, they've been signing all the Top 3 type guys lately. Those are the guys who are going to go straight to the league.

The class we signed this year are mostly all guys who would opt for a year or two of college regardless.

No. It really did work for most of them. About 2/3rds of the guys who entered the NBA draft straight from HS from 95-05 were legit players who made significant money.

But... that was only 37 guys in 11 years. The real question is just how many HS players will delude themselves, if you get 5 guys a year, they'll probably be pretty successful. If you get 15, the bomb out rate will be pretty high.

Curious to compare the list. I guess even guys like Robert Swift made some money he'd never have made otherwise. But aside from the possibility of exposing your skill set (or the even lesser possibility of a career threatening injury), going for two years isn't the worst idea. A lot of these guys fell much further in the draft then they thought.

I can't imagine more than 5 guys a year go right to the NBA? How will it be different since we last saw it circa 2005? Do more go? Less?

Also, of the 40 or so guys who went, quite a bit landed on the Trailblazers: Telfair, Darius Miles, Martel Webster, Travis Outlaw, Jermaine O'Neal..

Also, found this sure-to-be-great Grantland article on Korleone Young and highschool players going straight to the NBA. http://grantland.com/features/the-life-former-prep-pro-nba-player-korleone-young/

With Cal here, anyone ok with none and done do not understand our current advantage.

Come on people this is insane for UK fans to want this.

IU wants to level the playing field not us.

Cal went to exactly ONE final four pre-OAD.

The 2nd tier kids are much closer to the 3rd and 4th than these elite kids we will miss on.

Also, there are way more opportunities to make money today so more kids will try to leave. Much more than 5.

Foreign teams have much more money and many kids will be ok with the D-league.

This is not 15 years ago.

And lets see how the academics work out for many kids their senior year of high school who plan on jumping.

Many people here don’t like the OAD and I’m sorry but that is nothing less than selfish preference and zero consideration for the team.

Cal didn’t work magic to get this awesome run we are on, he recruited the best 18 year olds in the world. The world.

It is mindnumbingly crazy to want to change back to straight to the league. 2AD at UK would be unfair to college b-ball (without the opportunity to jump).

I would love for someone just once to back up their claim that OAD is not best for UK other than you want players to stay all 4 years.

Guess what, Tubby and BCG has a bunch of them, how did you like them apples?

Last edited:
The d league keeps growing and improving..therefore if kids jump straight out of hs it will continue to grow as the farm league it's supposed to be.

Personally, I think it will be bad for college bball. Less talent in college..no thanks

Reactions: KY_Kid and brianpoe
My question about this is the timing....if the situation is you go straight to the pro's (G League) or spend 2 years in college....the G league only pays 25k...hardly more than a kid can earn in college when you factor in their stipend, financial aid, and scholarship....so when does the kid have to declare for the NBA?? You could spend a ton or resources and time recruiting a kid who then opts to go pro....how do you know which players to even focus on?? Seems like recruiting would be even harder
Silver wants to raise salaries in the g league.., up to 250k. Again for mike and Mike.

With Cal here, anyone ok with none and done do not understand our current advantage or are closet IU fans.

Come on people this is insane for UK fans to want this.

IU wants to level the playing field not us.

Cal went to exactly ONE final four pre-OAD.

The 2nd tier kids are much closer to the 3rd and 4th than these elite kids we will miss on.

Also, there are way more opportunities to make money today so more kids will try to leave. Much more than 5.

Foreign teams have much more money and many kids will be ok with the D-league.

This is not 15 years ago.

And lets see how the academics work out for many kids their senior year of high school who plan on jumping.

Many people here don’t like the OAD and I’m sorry but that is nothing less than selfish preference and zero consideration for the team.

Cal didn’t work magic to get this awesome run we are on, he recruited the best 18 year olds in the world. The world.

It is mindnumbingly crazy to want to change back to straight to the league. 2AD at UK would be unfair to college b-ball (without the opportunity to jump).

I would love for someone just once to back up their claim that OAD is not best for UK other than you want players to stay all 4 years.

Guess what, Tubby and BCG has a bunch of them, how did you like them apples?
yeah I just don’t understand any fan who thinks the one and done going away is somehow good or at the very least not a detriment to us. I’m not saying we will be horrible if it goes away but it isn going to help us. All of a sudden you will see guys always waiting for spring to decide and using our name to get press, then declaring for the draft. No good. Or sweating it out every spring when our prized commit waits around for the last second to decide, only to go to the draft.

Reactions: brianpoe
Some have pointed this out, but most are missing the obvious. This isn't just about ending the one-and-done. It's about raising the profile of the d-league, g-league, or whatever they are calling it today.

The NBA has seen the popularity of the summer league grow. They want to be a "year-round" business. Silver clearly believes getting the best players in the pipeline more quickly is the way to go. I'm not so sure this is the case, as I think they would actually lose the portion of the fanbase who simply watch games because they involve guys who played on their favorite college team. But Silver is a sharp guy, and he clearly sees an opportunity here.

Bottom line, they will make it so attractive that virtually every 5-star will go pro. If the money is right, I can easily see 20 guys a year going straight to the draft. Under no scenario do I see this as good for UK. But beyond that, there's going to be no star power at all in college basketball. That's not going to help a sport that, outside of Kentucky and a few other places, struggles to find its place in the sports landscape outside a month or so of the year.

Before the one and done was in effect Cal coached 14 years and went to one final four

In 11 years of the one and done Cal's been to 5 Final 4s

There will be more and more money in the aau circuits, I would call it unrestricted. Those top kids will have no incentive to pass on agent money when they believe they will get drafted. Then as they age they may realize it's too late to follow the "go to school path". The option to get into college with both school standards and financial restrictions will be too late. Freshmen in HS will be meeting agents.

I know one local kid who thought in ms he was going high d1 and the number of friends "advisors" were ridiculous. This will make college recruiting much much shadier.

Without a one and done rule Lebron would have had a shoe deal and an agent in HS. At least with some clean colleges those advisors have to stay underground. With a growing g league and no draft rule or even a two and done rule agents will be out in the open recruiting. Bad for bob all around imo.

Curious to compare the list. I guess even guys like Robert Swift made some money he'd never have made otherwise. But aside from the possibility of exposing your skill set (or the even lesser possibility of a career threatening injury), going for two years isn't the worst idea. A lot of these guys fell much further in the draft then they thought.

I can't imagine more than 5 guys a year go right to the NBA? How will it be different since we last saw it circa 2005? Do more go? Less?

Also, of the 40 or so guys who went, quite a bit landed on the Trailblazers: Telfair, Darius Miles, Martel Webster, Travis Outlaw, Jermaine O'Neal..

Also, found this sure-to-be-great Grantland article on Korleone Young and highschool players going straight to the NBA. http://grantland.com/features/the-life-former-prep-pro-nba-player-korleone-young/
NBA contract earnings for all 37 guys drafted straight out of HS from 95-05

Garnett- 343 million
Kobe- 328M
Jermaine O'Neal-168M
McGrady- 162M
Harrington- 90M
Lewis-155M
Young- 287,000
Bender- 30M
Leon Smith- 1.4M
Darius Miles- 62M
Stevenson- 27M
Brown- 64M
Chandler- 160M
Curry- 70M
Diop- 47M
Cisse- 0 (never made it)
Stoudemire- 167M
LeBron- 203M (and counting)
Outlaw- 44M
Ebi- 2.8M
Perkins- 57M
Lang- 770,000
Howard- 167M (and counting)
Livingston- 41M (and counting)
Swift- 11M
Telfair- 19M
Josh Smith- 106M
JR Smith- 58M (and counting)
Wright- 28M
Webster- 45M
Bynum- 72M
Gerald Green-18M
CJ Miles- 34M (and counting)
Ellis- 94M (and counting)
Lou Williams- 44M (and counting)
Blatche- 39M
Amir Johnson- 66M (and counting)

37 players. 32 of them had contracts worth 10 million dollars or more. 19 were over 50 million.

I don't see that it makes any difference if the rule changes or not. You still have to recruit the best players available then you have to win with them.
The problem is the top players don't make up their minds until the very last minute and that strings coaches along to the point where other top recruits go elsewhere.

Some have pointed this out, but most are missing the obvious. This isn't just about ending the one-and-done. It's about raising the profile of the d-league, g-league, or whatever they are calling it today.

The NBA has seen the popularity of the summer league grow. They want to be a "year-round" business. Silver clearly believes getting the best players in the pipeline more quickly is the way to go. I'm not so sure this is the case, as I think they would actually lose the portion of the fanbase who simply watch games because they involve guys who played on their favorite college team. But Silver is a sharp guy, and he clearly sees an opportunity here.

Bottom line, they will make it so attractive that virtually every 5-star will go pro. If the money is right, I can easily see 20 guys a year going straight to the draft. Under no scenario do I see this as good for UK. But beyond that, there's going to be no star power at all in college basketball. That's not going to help a sport that, outside of Kentucky and a few other places, struggles to find its place in the sports landscape outside a month or so of the year.
Totally valid points all the way through, but the question the NBA will have to ask themselves is how much the free publicity players get in college helps the league.

The problem for the NBA is this: it makes sense for 5, maybe even 10 guys a year to enter the draft straight out of HS. If you look at the top 5 players in each recruiting class of the 1 and done era, drafting those guys straight from HS would generally not have been a bad idea. You'd have some misses, but you see names like Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, Derrick Rose, DeMar DeRozan, John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, Bradley Beal, Karl Towns, and so on.

If you get up to 15-20 guys per draft, though, you're almost guaranteed to have a high rate of failure. The average NBA draft really only produces about 20 guys who go on to be solid, long-term NBA players, and there's no way that 20 is going to match the 20 who come straight from HS. But I'm not sure how the NBA can structure things so that they accept the guys that they really want but discourage larger numbers. The only way I can think of is to drastically change the rookie cap, so that there really is a huge advantage to going near the top of the draft. Even then, though, it might not work, because 250K a year in the DLeague sounds great to a kid who isn't really interested in school.

So yeah, I don't think the future of college basketball is particularly bright. It seems doomed to become college baseball within about 10-20 years max.

The problem is the top players don't make up their minds until the very last minute and that strings coaches along to the point where other top recruits go elsewhere.
This is the hardest thing about letting kids go straight to the league and the thing that would cause Cal, K, Self, those coaches that recruit the best of the best headaches...there would be kids that would commit to colleges, then make last minute calls to enter the draft and leave coaches scrambling.

Of course, the NBA doesn't care, but it is a problem for cbb.

There is no easy answer.

The d league keeps growing and improving..therefore if kids jump straight out of hs it will continue to grow as the farm league it's supposed to be.

Personally, I think it will be bad for college bball. Less talent in college..no thanks

Silver wants to raise salaries in the g league.., up to 250k. Again for mike and Mike.

How does all of this stop schools from cheating? Haven't seen anyone address that.

Before the one and done was in effect Cal coached 14 years and went to one final four

In 11 years of the one and done Cal's been to 5 Final 4s

There will be more and more money in the aau circuits, I would call it unrestricted. Those top kids will have no incentive to pass on agent money when they believe they will get drafted. Then as they age they may realize it's too late to follow the "go to school path". The option to get into college with both school standards and financial restrictions will be too late. Freshmen in HS will be meeting agents.

I know one local kid who thought in ms he was going high d1 and the number of friends "advisors" were ridiculous. This will make college recruiting much much shadier.

Without a one and done rule Lebron would have had a shoe deal and an agent in HS. At least with some clean colleges those advisors have to stay underground. With a growing g league and no draft rule or even a two and done rule agents will be out in the open recruiting. Bad for bob all around imo.

Totally valid points all the way through, but the question the NBA will have to ask themselves is how much the free publicity players get in college helps the league.

The problem for the NBA is this: it makes sense for 5, maybe even 10 guys a year to enter the draft straight out of HS. If you look at the top 5 players in each recruiting class of the 1 and done era, drafting those guys straight from HS would generally not have been a bad idea. You'd have some misses, but you see names like Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, Derrick Rose, DeMar DeRozan, John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, Bradley Beal, Karl Towns, and so on.

If you get up to 15-20 guys per draft, though, you're almost guaranteed to have a high rate of failure. The average NBA draft really only produces about 20 guys who go on to be solid, long-term NBA players, and there's no way that 20 is going to match the 20 who come straight from HS. But I'm not sure how the NBA can structure things so that they accept the guys that they really want but discourage larger numbers. The only way I can think of is to drastically change the rookie cap, so that there really is a huge advantage to going near the top of the draft. Even then, though, it might not work, because 250K a year in the DLeague sounds great to a kid who isn't really interested in school.

So yeah, I don't think the future of college basketball is particularly bright. It seems doomed to become college baseball within about 10-20 years max.

My friends

@Dablueman @TexKat @Wildcatfan2381 @catzcan @Jmeeks54thebest @TeoJ @MbergCat @Chuckinden @Pulaski Cat Fan @KentuckyRLD @Cowtown Cat @sluggercatfan @blubo @yoshukai

I am anxious to hear your responses to the above quotes.

This doesnt stop any schools from cheating.

Those of you thinking that only 4-5 kids will leave again are totally wrong. Raising D/G league salaries to $250k will result in way more players leaving. Overseas teams have already jumped into the mix the last few seasons when given the opportunity.

So, we may be missing out not only on the John Walls, Cousins, KATs and Anthony Davis', but also Fox, Monk, Knox, etc.

How many times will Calipari be played to the end of the recruiting season like Pitino was with Telfair?

And as mentioned, Cal went to 1 FF in 14 years pre-OAD, he's been to 5 since. Parity becomes a much bigger issue.

NCAA will be void of any superstar players.

If your ideal college basketball is a remake of Hoosiers, then I guess this is for you.

Other than you can't handle players leaving and roster turnover, why is getting rid of the OAD a good or even an acceptable thing?

Interested in your thoughts.

The quality of college basketball suffers mightily when there are the top 10-12 kids going pro (at least). It creates parity, but it also creates a lack of top tier talent. No AD, no Randle, no KAT, no Wall...

There may be some years that 10-12 kids go, but, after a couple of years of busts, NBA GM's will trend toward drafting known talent, that have proven themselves over two years of college. There will always be the exceptional talents that can go directly to the league, but, when there are only 30 first round selections, I believe that the most of those will be used for more mature kids, who you are taking very little risk in, since you have evaluated them for two years. Sometimes kids just can't make a jump from HS to the NBA. There are very few Kobe's and LeBron's out there. It will work itself out, and UK will be fine.

In my opinion, the nuclear option for college basketball (if the G-League is greatly enhanced), is to allow drafted players to go to college if they don't like their draft position and don't sign contracts.

If the NBA fails to partner with CBB, CBB will protect their interests however they can.

Allowing players to sign shoe contracts and put the money in trust would be another plus for CBB, though I'm sure there would be some legal issues to wade through.

Reactions: jrpross and Blueaz
There may be some years that 10-12 kids go, but, after a couple of years of busts, NBA GM's will trend toward drafting known talent, that have proven themselves over two years of college. There will always be the exceptional talents that can go directly to the league, but, when there are only 30 first round selections, I believe that the most of those will be used for more mature kids, who you are taking very little risk in, since you have evaluated them for two years. Sometimes kids just can't make a jump from HS to the NBA. There are very few Kobe's and LeBron's out there. It will work itself out, and UK will be fine.
This is not what will happen.

Paraphrasing the commissioner

The players will not be drafted for the NBA. THEY WILL BE DRAFTED FOR THE G LEAGUE...and given two or three years of proper competition; to get them ready for the NBA. Guys going to LSU and Washington aren't getting any better in one year of college.

This is the problem, none and done.

I say some form of draft and stash. The kids still go to college. But the professional rights are owned for two or three years by a NBA team. With guaranteed money when the player leaves.

The players will not be drafted for the NBA. THEY WILL BE DRAFTED FOR THE G LEAGUE...and given two or three years of proper competition; to get them ready for the NBA. Guys going to LSU and Washington aren't getting any better in one year of college.

I say some form of draft and stash. The kids still go to college. But the professional rights are owned for two or three years by a NBA team. With guaranteed money when the player leaves.

I've thought draft and stash could work, but it seems that the NBA is moving toward a G-League model that would compete directly with CBB.

I suppose you could have both. Still a whole lot of built in marketing muscle behind the college system.

Possibly. I guess there will be several avenues that kids can take. If one wants to bypass college, why not just go to Europe? They can make a lot of cash, and play against good competition. One thing we will finally see is if these parents, who make the claim that they want their son to go to the best educational facility, still make this claim. I am just saying that even though the level of talent in college basketball will diminish, Cal will still get the best of what's left.

My friends

@Dablueman @TexKat @Wildcatfan2381 @catzcan @Jmeeks54thebest @TeoJ @MbergCat @Chuckinden @Pulaski Cat Fan @KentuckyRLD @Cowtown Cat @sluggercatfan @blubo @yoshukai

Those of you thinking that only 4-5 kids will leave again are totally wrong. Raising D/G league salaries to $250k will result in way more players leaving. Overseas teams have already jumped into the mix the last few seasons when given the opportunity.

So, we may be missing out not only on the John Walls, Cousins, KATs and Anthony Davis', but also Fox, Monk, Knox, etc.

How many times will Calipari be played to the end of the recruiting season like Pitino was with Telfair?

And as mentioned, Cal went to 1 FF in 14 years pre-OAD, he's been to 5 since. Parity becomes a much bigger issue.

If your ideal college basketball is a remake of Hoosiers, then I guess this is for you.

Other than you can't handle players leaving and roster turnover, why is getting rid of the OAD a good or even an acceptable thing?

How is he going to raise salaries for the g league? because no one I know, even those who like the NBA, like watching the g league. I guess they'll be taking profit from the NBA to try and force grow he g league? I'm sincerely asking where the money is coming from because from my perspective, it isn't there.

I do think that'll weaken the college game and that does make me sad. But I do believe if you can sign up for military at 18 then there's no reason why you can't go to the NBA at 18 (at least from my own moral perspective).

Now, as for agents contacting kids below 18 I think that's wrong and I think it leads to a lot of kids getting taken advantage of and risking their chance to play in college. For a lot of these kids there's no way of telling if they'll make it, and if they risk their college eligibility and don't make it then it's a total loss.

I think before a lot of this gets discussed the NCAA needs to be reformed or replaced because they've shown to be corrupt and uncaring of these high school and college athletes. And until then it's hard to blame kids not wanting to be a part of that mess.

My thoughts on this are pretty scattered and not completely set in stone yet, so forgive my rambling please.

This would suck for us.

I disagree. I think this would work out even better for us. So if it were 0 or 2, you would have say 15-20 guys go out of HS each year (most from the top 15, but a few outside that would be happy to spend their time in the D-League instead of college. Cal would focus on, and get, the best outside of that group. So he would get Green, and Washington, and Richards, SGA, and maybe Vanderbilt. Knox and Diallo would probably not have come. But he now has those guys for 2 years, along with a similar group the next year.

Lots of good information, insight and opinion here. Still going through it.

I can't see anyone wanting to watch the G-league on any level, when it comes to television. However, I'd definitely go to some games in person if it meant seeing some future NBA stars. But how many people will realistically do that, outside of us diehard college ball fans?

They should go to a 2 year system for EVERYONE and leave it that way. One and done sucks. None and done is even worse. Hell, as bad as the NFL is, even they aren't so greedy that they feel the need to start robbing colleges of their best players prior to them completing their junior years.

I could already give a hoot less about the NBA. I don't enjoy it and I don't watch it. I just wish the NBA would stop destroying college basketball by siphoning away all the talent at such a young age. I miss how things were in the 1990s. The quality of the college game was so much better because even most of your superstar caliber athletes played a couple of years before going pro. I wish we could get back to that.

This is hard to say. Football is a completely different game. And I think the NFL understands that the average 19 year old's body simply isn't ready for the abuse it would take in the League.

A lot of talk, and a couple of facts:

1) SIlver said each G-League team could have 2 guys making that 250K magic number. That is still pennies compared to what draftees make, Well, why don't you just go to 3 rounds and have 1 round be a development guy. That makes the lower level teams have the ability to compete sooner.

2) Silver admitted if the thinking is that kids aren't getting developed at the college level, then the rule needs to change. Talk about taking advantage of the situation with zero costs! You change the rule IMO, you improve the college atmosphere. Let kids leave when they want; the NCAA (as corrupt and inept as they are) would be wise to modify how they handle athletes who might not be 100% sold on leaving based on their talent.

But as we know, the kids very rarely make the decision to go pro. It's the surrounders that are causing these guys to make that decision 9/10 times.

The reason the football and baseball models don't work is because they're for football and baseball.

A kid drafted in baseball straight out of high school knows he's a handful of years away from playing in the majors. He gets his signing bonus, but he's not going to see MLB action for a while.

In basketball, the top rookies are often handed the keys to the franchise.

Obviously, the NBA is trying to build a paid minor league system in the G-League. If that succeeds, college basketball is done.

The reason this idea is paired with two and done instead of one and done is because the NBA eventually *wants* to push more players into the G-League and they know the best guys won't commit to two years in college instead of a few hundred thousand dollars plus a signing bonus.

It grows the talent pool and makes the G-League more marketable and competitive. Plus, the two-way contract means they can call a kid up at any time they need him. It takes all of the risk away from reaching for unproven 18 year olds but lets you own their rights and reap the benefits if he pans out.

And honestly, it's fair and smart. It's just bad for something we all love.

I dont disagree, but the 18 years old and military line doesnt hold up.

A very large percentage of employers require 4-year degrees for most jobs nowadays. And it is not just doctors or lawyers, but basic office jobs.

Surely a person that can fight and die in war can be a receptionist? All employers have the right to set standards, the NBA is no different.

Reactions: jrpross
Just thinking out loud and continuing my point above:

Some will talk about the marketing and TV deals and gambling and March Madness as entrenched financial aspects that will keep the G-League from succeeding.

And part of that is true. But enough to stop this from happening? I'm not sure.

If the top 40 kids from each high school class had rather get paid in the G-League with a chance to be called up and earn a full NBA contact at any time than go to college, the marketing and eyeballs will follow the talent.

You'll still have march madness, and it'll still be a gambling juggernaut because most of that money pours in from people who never watch the games anyway and alumni of the schools involved.

That will be there no matter what, but when the superior product is on the G-League floor, that's where Nike and adidas and UA and everyone else will be spending their money (now legally, too). It's where the coaching money will be because it's where the TV deals will be because it's where the talent will be.

And it isn't restricted by the school year or anything else. They can hold their own tournament alongside March Madness if they want. They can start their season in February at the all-star break and finish up in September so that there's basketball year round.

Reactions: awf and brianpoe
My friends

There are warts with the current system. No doubt, but these kids want the fastest and best way to the pros. Cal and UK provide that. It does leave UK sometimes with teams and players that aren't ready at the time. '13 and '16 teams come to mind. Noel got hurt and Skal wasn't ready. However, the payoff is usually UK fields teams that are very talented and legit contenders.

Reactions: awf and brianpoe
I think it would be interesting if they let kids get drafted and still play college. It would make sense to let kids hone their skills or mature while building a following. And college would benefit from the high end talent. Probably won't happen with the growth of the G League.

All they have to do is to stop with the BS! Just because a kid tries out for the NBA he shouldn't lose his eligibility. They have just simply tried out for a job. If they are not ready and don't get drafted they screw them out of a scholarship? How is trying out for a pro team ruining the sanctity of amateurism? No, they seem to want to punish the players for aspiring to play pro ball. The NCAA is supposed to be about the kids and getting an education. Change the rules. Let them try out for the NBA......
if it doesn't work come back to school work on your game and education.

They should go to a 2 year system for EVERYONE and leave it that way. One and done sucks. None and done is even worse. Hell, as bad as the NFL is, even they aren't so greedy that they feel the need to start robbing colleges of their best players prior to them completing their junior years.

I could already give a hoot less about the NBA. I don't enjoy it and I don't watch it. I just wish the NBA would stop destroying college basketball by siphoning away all the talent at such a young age. I miss how things were in the 1990s. The quality of the college game was so much better because even most of your superstar caliber athletes played a couple of years before going pro. I wish we could get back to that.
IMO, if you go to a 2 years system, you would see a lot of the top guys go to Europe. Delaying getting paid by 8 months is one thing...delaying getting paid by 20 months is another. It either has to stay one and done or have an option to go straight out of high school.

he was on Mike and Mike this morning and implied, very strongly; that he would be trying to go none and done, ASAP...I did not hear if it would be a none or two...but he seems to hate the ONE and done
Going to miss watching a lot of talent in the college game by allowing them to go to NBA from high school. Shame.

Reactions: Blueaz and brianpoe
All they have to do is to stop with the BS! Just because a kid tries out for the NBA he shouldn't lose his eligibility. They have just simply tried out for a job. If they are not ready and don't get drafted they screw them out of a scholarship? How is trying out for a pro team ruining the sanctity of amateurism? No, they seem to want to punish the players for aspiring to play pro ball. The NCAA is supposed to be about the kids and getting an education. Change the rules. Let them try out for the NBA......
if it doesn't work come back to school work on your game and education.

That's pretty much the only way the NCAA will be able to combat the NBA if the NBA really decides to put some effort into developing their own talent.

We're all college basketball fans here, but the reality is that college basketball (and football, really) are unnatural. The NBA and the NFL are the only 2 professional sports leagues on the planet that rely on colleges to develop players, and that happened only because the college versions of those sports were popular before the professional versions, with the professional versions actually being created expressly to profit from the popularity of the college versions. Baseball never had that, because the professional version of the game preceded the college version.

All of that was a long, long time ago now, though, and the reality is that the NFL and the NBA don't really need the college game any more. Especially the NBA, because of the limited roster size needed for a team. The truth is that dozens of the best players every year would gladly skip college entirely if they could make 100K a year for 2-3 years in an NBA developmental program. Spending 5-10 million dollars a year to run a minor league franchise would be pocket change for any NBA team, and honestly, if they went whole-hog into it, maybe made it mainly a summer thing, they could very possibly turn a profit.

College basketball needs to stop fighting reality. If college basketball is still going to be a good place for future professionals to develop, they need to stop throwing up so many ridiculous roadblocks based on the asinine "student-athlete" concept.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT