ADVERTISEMENT

Adam Silver: End of one & done

Just how many rounds are you having the NBA draft?

Bledsoe was ranked #57 in Rivals, and at 6'1 he would not have been drafted in a 5 round draft.
WCS had great measureables, and very limited basketball skill, he was considered a project. I was higher on him than most thinking he had good hands because he was a WR. Most on this board thought he was a 4 yr player.
I said "maybe" w/ Gabriel, as we saw he was pretty raw. But a team might have taken a flier on him.
Washington will be here for his SOPH year. Yes he has great reach, but he's 6'7. He is undersized for his position!
Richards, well see WCS above, although Richards was rated higher, so he could be a "maybe"

First off, we dont know how the draft will go to fill the G-League.

And actually, Bledsoe was #23 and a 5-star in the Rivals ranking.

It is just my opinion but any player with exceptional ability and close to 7'0 has the potential to be an NBA target. Especially Richards with his age. Again, you ant teach height and athleticism, what can the NBA do with a player like WCS in 2 years with 24/7 training? And why would WCS turn down the money and opportunity?

If the NBA is going to field a farm team for every team that is 450 players. Who do you think they want to fill those spots?

Vets that couldnt cut it after 4-5 years? Maybe some players coming back from injury? They definitely would love to have the rights to young talent that might blossom into future lottery picks had they gone to school and received 1/3 the training they will get in the instructional league.

I dont disagree on Washington, mistake on my part.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Honestly i think you will see more go pro than 12 years ago more along the lines of 7 or 8 probably 5 or 6 that need too and a couple who don't.

just don't think the league pulls the kids that people think. Those individual g league teams dont have the money to pay those 250 thousand dollar salaries meaning that an NBA team will have to draft them and place them there and pay them how many NBA teams will actually waste one of their 2 draft spots on a project that you know will have to go to the g league?

All these kids first real money isn't their first contract its their first endorsement deal. Cal sells these kids on Maximizing their value. I still say for a certain group (the group Cal seems to be focused on) the value of going to UK getting your name out there and well known getting better draft position is still gonna sway a handful of real difference makers in college to play college ball. Most likely will be UK and Duke raking those up.

Now you already have foreign teams offering these kids more than 250grand. Wasn't China who offered our highest rated player a million dollars? He turned it down. We all thought we would have a bunch of kids go that route. Plus the gleagues salaries dont really mean anything dont tell me a top ten kid in hs who could havd opted for the g league all along wouldnt have a 7 figure shoe contract. Right off g league or not. So the money has always been there for a kid to go to the g league.

That being said we have a coach who is a master at finding a kid about to be a late bloomer. Even if its worse case scenarios and most of the top 20 goes pro. ur still gonna see the Devin Bookers the Vanderbilts (who may be our best player if u listen to people) WCS, SGA, Gabriel, Jones, Ullis to go with the one or 2 top 15 guys that will opt for college meaning this isn't Memphis this is UK the caliber of talent Cal will bring in will still be way better than every div one team not named Duke. This year for example we still get almost our entire recruiting class including Knox. Only One we probably dont get is diallo who I am not sure wouldn't still want to be coached by Cal to maximize his draft position.

Something that is forgotten in this a little is ego. A kid going to UK gets to still be in the white hot spotlight and have ur highlights on sportscenter and be on national TV not only maximizing that endorsement dollar but allowing them to be the man while they prep for the pros

Again its not kids drafted to the league it is filling g-league spots.

Not every player will receive $250k, but if each receives $100k that is only $1.5M per year for the rights to very good young talent.

Have you listened to Cal speak of the families and their financial situations? $100k may not be muc hto you, but it would be huge for these kids, along with 24/7 coaching and a quicker option to the league.

Maximizing their value means getting to their second contract as quickly as possible.

Kids would definitely choose to play for an NBA farm team for $100k over China for much more.

I still think any player with unreal measurables and size will be a target - WCS and Richards for example.

If the top 20 go as you mentioned this squad would have only Green and Alexander in its class.

You can bet if enough of the talent doesnt go to college the shoes and the media will follow. Many of these kids have a following before they even choose a school. The times have changed.

You are correct we dont know very much, but even at $70-80k, 24/7 basketball, NBA coaches, the opportunity be called up at any time is still a much more attractive option to many than no money in college and having to wait 2 years.

Automatic better decision? Who knows? I'll always prefer the college route for multiple reasons.

I honestly haven't even looked at the G-League. I was thinking like.. 4-team setup with like 15 guys each team, AAU style. I don't know why I thought that, either.

Hard to say what the better decision is, because it's different for every player. Let's start by saying, the G-League will be a better collection of talent right? Than College ball, that is. I don't see how it won't be.

So if you're the #10 player in HS, you probably get drafted, what 2nd round? Maybe go to the G-League for a year? The problem is, you're then playing serious competition, that's been at this level before, and maybe for quite a few years. Is it better for the 10th guy to go to college for 2 years and show out against easier competition, and maybe get that guaranteed contract, then potentially expose himself and shoot his confidence in the G-League?

It's an easy call for the #1 recruit and an easy call for the 75th.. but those 30-10 guys.. hard to say the best move.. $300,000 for the G-league isn't exactly a home run.

Reactions: brianpoe
The one way I could see the G-League succeeding in a big way would be if they would force the 18 year old, first year players to spend one season there.

Draft them. Give them full contracts. Make them spend a season on the farm team. Call them up to to the Big team in March (after the G-League tournament).

Not sure the parent clubs would all go for it though. Some of them depend so much on excitement about recent draftees to sell tickets.

But it would work. And it could steal the thunder right away from college basketball.

But it would work. And it could steal the thunder right away from college basketball.

But who wants to do that? I get that it's in many ways competing with the G-League.. but I don't think coaches and players, many of whom got their start at the college level, want to see it burn. The NBA has to give the college game SOME thanks and credence. I think Silver will do what he can to keep the college game going, within reason, of course.

I just don't see how a 30-team/450-player league (going off @brianpoe) is going to spark interest. For me, absolutely! Especially if it comes to my home city which isn't big enough for the NBA. But who else? I think basketball is pretty saturated and having a dozen shitty teams, with maybe 5 teams that you'd want to see (because they are good or have the next "it" player) isn't going to get people to tune in.

I almost think that's TOO big. Scale it back. Do 8 teams with 15 players, ensuring you don't have a team with two starters from Hofstra. It ensures the teams have quality, not quantity, and put those 8 teams in the next 8 cities that couldn't have an NBS franchise. That way, the G-league is much smaller, where it isn't totally poaching from HS and college and IMO much more exciting.

Again its not kids drafted to the league it is filling g-league spots.

Not every player will receive $250k, but if each receives $100k that is only $1.5M per year for the rights to very good young talent.

Have you listened to Cal speak of the families and their financial situations? $100k may not be muc hto you, but it would be huge for these kids, along with 24/7 coaching and a quicker option to the league.

Maximizing their value means getting to their second contract as quickly as possible.

Kids would definitely choose to play for an NBA farm team for $100k over China for much more.

I still think any player with unreal measurables and size will be a target - WCS and Richards for example.

If the top 20 go as you mentioned this squad would have only Green and Alexander in its class.

You can bet if enough of the talent doesnt go to college the shoes and the media will follow. Many of these kids have a following before they even choose a school. The times have changed.
Yeah I agree times have changed but its not the kind of exposure that going to UK would provide not even close. these guys are turning down more money in Europe. these kids know the money will be there. Way to much still to work out. These kids have to be drafted some how if a non lottery pick can make a guy like Diallo come back when it looks like he was first round then yes I believe we won't see the mass exodus that people think. I think Cal sells them on generational wealth and times are much different. Not as many of the top kids are dirt poor street ballers anymore. Sure a lot are but not as many as u would think if AAU has done one positive thing its that it means that a kid from the suburbs can be as solid of a ball player as a kid who grew up playing at the Rucker in Harlem.

Yeah I agree times have changed but its not the kind of exposure that going to UK would provide not even close. these guys are turning down more money in Europe. these kids know the money will be there. Way to much still to work out. These kids have to be drafted some how if a non lottery pick can make a guy like Diallo come back when it looks like he was first round then yes I believe we won't see the mass exodus that people think. I think Cal sells them on generational wealth and times are much different. Not as many of the top kids are dirt poor street ballers anymore. Sure a lot are but not as many as u would think if AAU has done one positive thing its that it means that a kid from the suburbs can be as solid of a ball player as a kid who grew up playing at the Rucker in Harlem.

The mass exodus will be dependent on how many slots the NBA will need to fill and the base salaries offered. The more slots and anything over $50-75k and I think we will see enough leave to negatively impact the college game.

I dont think exposure aspect is as prevalent as it once was. Look at the top players recently going to Washington, LSU, Missouri...kids are now going to Cal, etc...

Going overseas is a huge decision and most will take much less to stay in the states.

The opportunity to play for money on an NBA farm team with 24/7 coaching without a 2-year wait could be much more desirable for those kids on the bubble of being 1st round picks straight out of high school but confident they can make it after one season.

IMO, if Diallo had to wait 2 years he'd be gone as well.

The problem with this is that these players are always willing to take the path of least resistance. Right now kids are going to college, because that is the route the majority are taking to make the NBA. If every team has a farm team and players are allowed to go straight out of high school, then the path of least resistance will be the farm team. In effect, it will become harder to make an NBA roster if you go to college, as most will just be called up from the farm teams.

What will be interesting is the results of the change over a 5 year period. In order to fill all those teams, there will need to be a special deal to have enough players to fill the rosters. Then once the rosters are filled, then for every player drafted/sent/signed to the G-League, a player must leave. By pure numbers, what will be the life expectancy of a player contact in this new G-League. While $100,000 is a good payout, but how many years can one get that kind of payout? 4-5 years maybe. Then all those players will have to get jobs or go to college, which they would then have to fund on their own. Now all that big money doesn't look so big anymore.

If the NBA cares, like they say they do in the commercials, they would hatch a deal with college basketball to essentially make it a development league for them in a manner that protects and enhances all parties involved, NBA, colleges, and the players.

The mass exodus will be dependent on how many slots the NBA will need to fill and the base salaries offered. The more slots and anything over $50-75k and I think we will see enough leave to negatively impact the college game.

I dont think exposure aspect is as prevalent as it once was. Look at the top players recently going to Washington, LSU, Missouri...kids are now going to Cal, etc...

Going overseas is a huge decision and most will take much less to stay in the states.

The opportunity to play for money on an NBA farm team with 24/7 coaching without a 2-year wait could be much more desirable for those kids on the bubble of being 1st round picks straight out of high school but confident they can make it after one season.

IMO, if Diallo had to wait 2 years he'd be gone as well.
I guess we are going to just have to see. Even if the playing field is leveled some by the top 20 going pro. Cal has developed a knack for chemistry and late bloomers and will still probably get the 2 or 3 difference makers that opt for college. He will sell a few top 15 caliber kids on things like uks policy of always be able to finish ur degree, being in the spotlight cause come on nobody is going to watch the g league games, also some parents are gonna prefer college. He also will be able to get the diamonds in the rough kids like Gabriel and Jones. So his rosters will look like 2 or 3 5star sophs 2 or 3 five star fresh. 1 four to low five star soph who performed better than expected like a Booker and 1 or 2 high four star fresh who you can see the potential of as sophomores mix in a few four star Jr and sr who stick around and I still see UK and probably Duke still able to maintain a pretty decent talent advantage. Now I can see teams like Kansas and Arizona schools who get their share of five Stars now but the kind who will be all over the gleague coming down to earth.

Something that has to be considered in this is foriegn players they are a lot more of them now than in previous none and done days. U will see a fair share of those guys competing for gleague spots as well as journeyman guys who normally would be out of basketball but will stick around cause the new league minimums isnt that bad of a living now plus the new young cats will be hanging around taking I to eat off their shoe deal money. Lol

First off, we dont know how the draft will go to fill the G-League.

And actually, Bledsoe was #23 and a 5-star in the Rivals ranking.

It is just my opinion but any player with exceptional ability and close to 7'0 has the potential to be an NBA target. Especially Richards with his age. Again, you ant teach height and athleticism, what can the NBA do with a player like WCS in 2 years with 24/7 training? And why would WCS turn down the money and opportunity?

If the NBA is going to field a farm team for every team that is 450 players. Who do you think they want to fill those spots?

Vets that couldnt cut it after 4-5 years? Maybe some players coming back from injury? They definitely would love to have the rights to young talent that might blossom into future lottery picks had they gone to school and received 1/3 the training they will get in the instructional league.

I dont disagree on Washington, mistake on my part.

One other point. So in that earlier list I provided, it was pointed out that we might have only gotten the Willis/Hawkins/Humphries type players. But I think that ignores the fact that Cal doesn't get many of the 2nd & 3rd tier players because they know they won't play much when we have 10 top 20 recruits ahead of them. But if those 2nd & 3rd tier guys are now the 1st tier guys because those formerly 1st tier guys are going to the G-league, then Cal will have his choice of them.

One other point. So in that earlier list I provided, it was pointed out that we might have only gotten the Willis/Hawkins/Humphries type players. But I think that ignores the fact that Cal doesn't get many of the 2nd & 3rd tier players because they know they won't play much when we have 10 top 20 recruits ahead of them. But if those 2nd & 3rd tier guys are now the 1st tier guys because those formerly 1st tier guys are going to the G-league, then Cal will have his choice of them.
I think everyone agrees with that. Brian's point is that the 35 ranked player isnt much different than the 60th

I think everyone agrees with that. Brian's point is that the 35 ranked player isnt much different than the 60th

At least not as dramatically different as they are to the top of the class elite, just a huge dropoff so many years.

Reactions: Dablueman
First off, if Silver's model were adopted it would eventually take some money out of NCAA BB. I view that as a good thing.
1) It might bring an end to the NCAA as we currently know it.
2) it probably returns college to what it was intended to be

No the Kentuckys, Dukes, and UNC's would be hurt by that, and I would hurt for my Cats as a result. But his model would ultimately be better for the players. UK will survive.

Last, as we look at this model keep in mind the NBA ultimate goal .... to be worldwide. Europe doesn't use a college based farm system. They use club teams and players move thru based on ability. The rest of the WORLD operates that way. We're the exception. There might come a time that our beloved Wildcats are the top club team in America, with limited or no connection to the University. As extreme as that sounds ..... it takes the pretense of student-athlete out of it and is a more honest way of doing business. Because it has ALL become a business.

First off, if Silver's model were adopted it would eventually take some money out of NCAA BB. I view that as a good thing.
1) It might bring an end to the NCAA as we currently know it.
2) it probably returns college to what it was intended to be

No the Kentuckys, Dukes, and UNC's would be hurt by that, and I would hurt for my Cats as a result. But his model would ultimately be better for the players. UK will survive.

Last, as we look at this model keep in mind the NBA ultimate goal .... to be worldwide. Europe doesn't use a college based farm system. They use club teams and players move thru based on ability. The rest of the WORLD operates that way. We're the exception. There might come a time that our beloved Wildcats are the top club team in America, with limited or no connection to the University. As extreme as that sounds ..... it takes the pretense of student-athlete out of it and is a more honest way of doing business. Because it has ALL become a business.

I dont know how far I'm willing to let the Cats suffer, but I'd really, really like to see that farce of an organization meet its demise in the very near future.

Calipari went to the national title game and was one shot from winning it all with only one one and done.

He went 38-2 with that team.

The problem with this method will be the same thing that happened before this was implemented: wanting a coach's time recruiting a player only for them to leave.

Pitino lost Rondo cause he banked on Telfair.
Cal lost Amare Stodamire, I believe. UNC lost JR. Smith, Duke lost Shaun Livingston, Florida lost people, etc.

It wastes a lot of people's time. If they were to go this route, I'd hope some easy deadline was set to avoid the above happening.

They should go to a 2 year system for EVERYONE and leave it that way. One and done sucks. None and done is even worse. Hell, as bad as the NFL is, even they aren't so greedy that they feel the need to start robbing colleges of their best players prior to them completing their junior years.

I could already give a hoot less about the NBA. I don't enjoy it and I don't watch it. I just wish the NBA would stop destroying college basketball by siphoning away all the talent at such a young age. I miss how things were in the 1990s. The quality of the college game was so much better because even most of your superstar caliber athletes played a couple of years before going pro. I wish we could get back to that.
Totally agree with you.
Two years after leaving high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT