ADVERTISEMENT

A Loss to Mississippi State Isn't the End...

Tennessee has Auburn, Alabama, Kentucky and South Carolina left to play.

Alabama has Ole Miss, Tennessee, Florida and Arky left.

South Carolina has A&M, Florida, Tennessee and Miss State.

Auburn has easiest road left

We win out and have only 5 losses there is definitely a path to the 2 spot. We lose and yes 4 or 5 seed likely. We hold our fate in our own hands IMO.
To me these next 3 games are all ones they are better than the other team and should win. Tennessee is tough, they can win down their, but expecting it might be a stretch

One of the better bracket guys had this to say today....damn makes that LSU loss hurt so much more.

Dave Ommen

@BracketguyDave
·
2h

If Kentucky can sustain its moment at Miss State, the Wildcats could well be in line for a 4 seed heading into the SEC tournament - provided they don't lose at home to Arkansas or Vanderbilt down the stretch.

MSU is now 28th in the NET. If they beat UK, they likely end up being a QUAD 1 win (UK beat them at Rupp) the rest of the season.

Not saying it's fine to lose, as of course, I still think the Cats can share the conference title and definitely want the SEC-T bye, but there's a silver lining.

The LSU loss is the awful one.
I agree with everything here, but we DON'T need anymore losses this time of year. You saw yesterday that 1-10 UK is the most talented team in the country. Now we need our coach to play the RIGHT combinations that gives up the best unit on the floor. I know yesterday was GREAT, but we started 1 1/2 offensive threats against the #1 offensive team in the country. Even Oats was impressed.

Reactions: catben
No way there are 7/8 guys who will play any meaningful minutes in the NBA. And even if, they’re nowhere nearing showing that ability at this time.

That’s why the Cats have so many losses. You don’t win games on recruiting rankings.

Lol.

A win at Mississippi State, assuming the Cats take care of business at home against Arkansas and Vanderbilt, puts the SEC Title likely on the line at Tennessee on March 9th.

Auburn plays at Tennessee this week
South Carolina plays at Texas A&M this week
Alabama plays at Ole Miss this week
Florida plays at South Carolina this weekend
Tennessee plays at Alabama this weekend
Alabama plays at Florida in 2 weeks
Tennessee plays at South Carolina in 2 weeks

Lots of tough games or games for teams against others ahead of UK remaining.
That's why I said, no more losses! Take care of business like yesterday and let the chips fall where they may.

My original prediction was beat Bama and lose to Miss St; but I’m hoping the LSU loss lit a fire in everyone. Play like yesterday, and we’re a tough out for anyone, but we need to see some consistency from game to game.

I don’t think we got a shot at the league, but I get the feeling that last game at Tenn we can spoil them winning it.
Yes, don't let yesterday be fools gold. Everybody, but a couple , played off the charts and you can't expect that every game. Just give me 80-85% of that and we'll hard to handle. Now it's up to the HC to wake up to the realities of the individuals and combinations that need to be played together and LETS GO!!

Most teams don't have ANYBODY that could earn playing time in the NBA this year. Amost certainly we have 5 who will eventually play meaningful NBA minutes(Reeves, Shep, Dilly, Z, Thiero). It's certainly too early to say that Bradshaw, Ugo, Edwards, Wagner will never play meaningful NBA minutes; they all have to improve a LOT but are young enough with enough talent that probably 2 will eventually get there.

This pregame excuse making or down playing a loss is getting old.

We need to win out. No more questions. Any loss at this point unless it’s at UT will be unacceptable. And even then we need that UT win for NCAA seeding because we know the SECT usually means nothing to the committee
I agree, and I believe moving forward we are a different team with Edwards finding his confidence and Big Z learning to play D!

Reminds me of Happy Gilmore when he says
"UT oh, Happy learned to Putt!
UT oh, Big Z learned to play D!

Just imagine Edwards having his average game yesterday........the score would have been a lot closer if he did not lock in and be a scoring giant yesterday.

We need to win games badly from here on out, you could argue the hardest game was yesterday.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Just imagine Edwards having his average game yesterday........the score would have been a lot closer if he did not lock in and be a scoring giant yesterday.

We need to win games badly from here on out, you could argue the hardest game was yesterday.
Nope, at UT is almost always the toughest game and we'll have to play nearly as good as yesterday to get that win.

I saw on sec now this morning, they ranked top 3 players in sec.

Knecht was first, and reeves was second for slay's opinion....the other guy went with sears.

The inability to string W's together has been nothing short of embarrassing...I blame it on the couch (just like he said to) his bizarre lineups and even stranger substitution patterns, not to mention poor prep and unquestionable absence of effective in-game adjustments, particularly disturbing against rookie coaches.

Since conference play started, we've only been able to stitch back to back wins, no semblance of the continuity needed to advance in post season, 5th place conference mediocrity and a very sketchy compass headed into March.

I'd love to be wrong, but it sure looks like disappointment is just around the bend.
Tournament play requires a team wins consecutive games. In the SEC 3 to 4 wins and NCAA 6 wins. No trophies are earned by blowing out a team then losing the next game and going home. This team, IMO, can beat any team in the country and also lose to any team they face in the upcoming tournaments. Consistency is required and this team has yet to be consistent. Are Z and Edwards to be counted on each upcoming game? Will DJ recover? Can CCC let this team play or is he going to coach them? Fan since 1969 so I want this team to hit its stride. But, I have not seen a championship effort and execution on a consistent basis. Think we may get out of the first weekend in the NCAA tourney then underperform and go home. Hope I am wrong!

Reactions: CatPhight
MSU is now 28th in the NET. If they beat UK, they likely end up being a QUAD 1 win (UK beat them at Rupp) the rest of the season.

Not saying it's fine to lose, as of course, I still think the Cats can share the conference title and definitely want the SEC-T bye, but there's a silver lining.

I think it would prove this team can’t win the tournament

This a a very talented group of players. No way should this team lose and be okay. 2-3 lottery picks and possibly 7 future NBA players.

A win at Mississippi State, assuming the Cats take care of business at home against Arkansas and Vanderbilt, puts the SEC Title likely on the line at Tennessee on March 9th.

Auburn plays at Tennessee this week
South Carolina plays at Texas A&M this week
Alabama plays at Ole Miss this week
Florida plays at South Carolina this weekend
Tennessee plays at Alabama this weekend
Alabama plays at Florida in 2 weeks
Tennessee plays at South Carolina in 2 weeks

Lots of tough games or games for teams against others ahead of UK remaining.
Cats better beat Vandy....bringing my son to Rupp for his first visit.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Should be no more than 1 morehouse reg season. We need to win the SECT not for seeding so much as for confidence. Yesterday was great but not ready to really think pie in sky till we see a little consistency.

No more letdowns. If this team is a contender it’s time fire on all cylinders the rest of the way.
THIS!!!!

We need to win these next 4 and make it to the SEC Tournament Finals!!!

The time is NOW to go on a tear if we have ANY chance of doing what we all EXPECTED last Summer!!!

I understand that as does everyone I think. My point being why focus on the worst case every time.

I believe that is the actual title of this thread. A pre-game thread about it’s ok if we lose. this poster may focusing on the worst case every time I have no idea but in this particular case it seems like this scenario is exactly what the OP is talking about.

We have 7 or 8 nba players msu zilch this threads says alot about the mindset of calipari supporters
It actually says a lot about the mindset of knowledge college basketball fans. Which means they know how tough road games are in the SEC and college basketball in general, regardless of rosters and who is coaching.

Good God we're already bracing for impact of another let down. Let's put together some wins. You know like we are gonna have to do against tougher competition in March.

Losing our next game takes the luster off the Bama win just like LSU did. I mean LSU was just a Quad 2 loss but still.

No way Mississippi State will beat us! Don’t know what the line will be, but I’m going to book it unless it’s unreasonably high.

It depends. I mean this is a tournament team. It's a dangerous team. But you need these big games for good seeding.

I don't want to take our chances like we did in 2014 from an 8 seed. Our road that year was extremely difficult and it took several last second buckets to get to where we were at.

You need to get a better seed and you need to have potentially easier games. You need to be playing your best in March which I believe we are starting to do that but u also need a decent seeding to go along with that.

You need one of Miss St or UT, preferably both. You also need to take care of business vs Vandy and Arkansas. Not just take care of business but beat them by good margins so u raise in the NET

Expecting a loss or being ok with bad losses is the reason Cal keeps getting a pass. No home losses period or a loss to middle of the road SEC teams should never be nor tolerated Anything less than a final 4 and he should be fired before the plane lands back in Lexington.

Expecting a loss or being ok with bad losses is the reason Cal keeps getting a pass. No home losses period or a loss to middle of the road SEC teams should never be nor tolerated Anything less than a final 4 and he should be fired before the plane lands back in Lexington.

Yeah but Miss St I don't think you could classify as a "bad loss".

Sure they aren't Alabama, Auburn or UT but the SEC is just really good this season. Miss St is playing like a fringe top 25 team. Given they are at home, they will no doubt be favored in that game.

Got to win the next 3 for me to feel good about this team heading into the postseason.

I hope we win at UT, of course, but it’s not the end of the world if we lose.

Just got to win the next 3.

Got to win the next 3 for me to feel good about this team heading into the postseason.

I hope we win at UT, of course, but it’s not the end of the world if we lose.

Just got to win the next 3.
I agree, the next 3 are got to have wins then go to Knoxville and just play loose. Nobody will be expecting us to win at that Shithole...err Thompson- Boling so we have nothing to lose but can put the smackdown on Rocky Top.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
You may have a point that it shouldn’t be considered a terrible loss in a vacuum. In context of the season though, we’ve already lost a few games that were winnable and backed ourselves into a corner for seeding in both the SEC and NCAA tournaments. It’s a game that we need to win if we want to build consistency and be real contenders.

Reactions: Catfan2226
Actually the LSU loss isn’t awful, bad but not awful . They are a decent team, that may be in the NIT. The only bad SEC teams this year are Missouri, Vandy and Ark. And LSU was a road game, in a year where top 25 teams are only winning about 50% of road conference games vs non-ranked teams.
Talk about turd polishing,OF COURSE LSU was a terrible loss. LSU is NOT a decent team. Any more losses will doom Ky to at best a 5 seed, good luck getting to Final4 from there. Miss St is a tough game but it's time to put up or shut up for the Cats

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT