ADVERTISEMENT

50% (32-64) of Cal's players while at UK have been drafted

Imagine you taking up for an a hole!
It was an attack not an opinion. He was being a bitch and got bitched slapped. Sorry if you were collateral damage.
I don't take up for individuals.

I was specifically denouncing facism which you are contributing to practice by attacking the individual instead of his point.

By all means if you have substantial evidence that the poster is an a-hole or a bitch then let's hear it.

Ponder this question. If you were told when Coach Cal was hired by UK as their BB coach that after the NBA draft in 2017, Cal would have coached 17 NBA lottery picks, how many NCAA Championships would you have expected him to win during that same time period? I don't want to hear about Sweet 16's, Elite 8's and Final Fours. I am talking Championship banners hanging from the rafters at Rupp Arena..

Reactions: BoxterS
Let's be honest tho. He wasn't looking for any intellectual debate with that comment. He was looking for a reaction and he got it.

If he wanted to discuss whether or not the draft matters to cal more than titles he could have approached it in a different matter. As countless other threads did in the past

Not saying personal attacks are right but when u make a comment like that and don't even bother to explain it your looking for it
I don't think there's any excuse to practice facism because that social dynamic has led to terrible results.

But I agree there wasn't substance in his post and that it is bait for those with low self control.

Some people expect championships to come with ease year after year.. they forget how hard it really is to win the whole thing, & that most of it is luck . 8 in 80+ years, keep that in mind ! I also get tired of hearing people say "he's coached this many lottery picks blah blah" . It's potential that majority of these kids get drafted on, but in the meantime while they are here they are great ambassadors for the program & put us in the hunt for the title year in year out. They don't go out getting arrested & committing crimes like the Louisville players do, they don't accept under the table gifts like the Dukies & they show up to class unlike the UNcheaters . I'm more than grateful w the results since Cal came along, made watching UK exciting especially since the Tubby/Billy G years.

Some people expect championships to come with ease year after year.. they forget how hard it really is to win the whole thing, & that most of it is luck . 8 in 80+ years, keep that in mind ! I also get tired of hearing people say "he's coached this many lottery picks blah blah" . It's potential that majority of these kids get drafted on, but in the meantime while they are here they are great ambassadors for the program & put us in the hunt for the title year in year out. They don't go out getting arrested & committing crimes like the Louisville players do, they don't accept under the table gifts like the Dukies & they show up to class unlike the UNcheaters . I'm more than grateful w the results since Cal came along, made watching UK exciting especially since the Tubby/Billy G years.

I think people tend to look at things in a very narrow scope. They say we've had all these draft picks, why only one title. I don't think most realize that amount of luck that plays into a one and done tournament. I also think given our strength, people grossly overrated us compared to other teams. Most bring up 2015 and yeah we had an amazing team that season. But I'm not sure most understood just how good 2015 Wisconsin was or 2015 Duke for that matter.

Even with the draft picks, the gap at the top isn't very wide at all. Hence the reason you'll never see a UCLA type run again or even UK 96-98 or even UF. Those days are gone.

All I can ask for Cal and UK is to be competitive each season. And despite 2013, we have been. Because when you're playing in a sport where luck factors in, the more opportunities you have at this thing, the better.

Reactions: mhap8704

I was specifically denouncing facism which you are contributing to practice by attacking the individual instead of his point.

By all means if you have substantial evidence that the poster is an a-hole or a bitch then let's hear it.

How is calling someone stupid for saying something stupid fascism?

Cal doesn't have a bunch of titles because Cal doesn't put that as the top priority. Cal (and the players) top priority is to get them to the league. Cal is about changing the lives of entire families, not winning championships to make fans happy. The players appreciate this, just go and listen to De'Aaron's interview with Paul Finebaum.

Cal doesn't have a bunch of titles because Cal doesn't put that as the top priority. Cal (and the players) top priority is to get them to the league. Cal is about changing the lives of entire families, not winning championships to make fans happy. The players appreciate this, just go and listen to De'Aaron's interview with Paul Finebaum.

This is the biggest misconception in the Cal era lol.

The two goals are intertwined.

Let's be honest tho. He wasn't looking for any intellectual debate with that comment. He was looking for a reaction and he got it.

If he wanted to discuss whether or not the draft matters to cal more than titles he could have approached it in a different matter. As countless other threads did in the past

Not saying personal attacks are right but when u make a comment like that and don't even bother to explain it your looking for it
did you mean "manner"?

Uh, did you hear De'Aaron's interview with Finebaum? Those are his words, but I like it. Cal was hired to help young men succeed, not to make you happy.

Yeah but the two goals are one in the same. By helping them succeed, the team succeeds.

The best way to win a title is to have talented players. The best way to get talented players is by showing that you care about their success and their dreams.

How many times have you heard Cal saying if we do right by these players, the players will in turn take us to where we want to be.

There's a misconception that Cal is doing this at the expense of going for titles. That's not true at all. By doing things this way, he's giving us a GREATER CHANCE at a title.

Reactions: Lexchess
Yeah but the two goals are one in the same. By helping them succeed, the team succeeds.

The best way to win a title is to have talented players. The best way to get talented players is by showing that you care about their success and their dreams.

How many times have you heard Cal saying if we do right by these players, the players will in turn take us to where we want to be.

There's a misconception that Cal is doing this at the expense of going for titles. That's not true at all. By doing things this way, he's giving us a GREATER CHANCE at a title.

I think you are demonstrating perfectly that you are heavily influenced by Cal's words. Some might even call it "brainwashed". I mean you cite comments from Cal himself as some sort of evidence to support an argument that Titles are indeed a top priority. Well of course Cal is going to say that Titles are important. And yes he's said that "if we do right by the players they will take us to the top etc etc" a million times.

Let's take your first comment; "by helping them succeed the team succeeds". What if Cal help's Diallo get drafted instead of returning? That was damn close to happening. So he would have helped Diallo succeed but how does the team succeed? Now Diallo returned and that's huge for us so it doesn't matter. I just think fans kind of fall for Cal-isms too often.

My favorite thing about Cal? He recruits high character kids that represent the program very, very well on and off the floor. We've had terrific kids. I wouldn't trade him for that alone. But I'm not sure I buy into Titles and producing NBA players as perfectly inner-twine. More like 40/60.

Your last sentence about it being a misconception that he's doing this at the expense of titles. I don't know if any of us truly know. All I know is that we desperately need fringe first round guys to return in order to win the title and they never do. It's killer.

Your last sentence about it being a misconception that he's doing this at the expense of titles. I don't know if any of us truly know. All I know is that we desperately need fringe first round guys to return in order to win the title and they never do. It's killer.

I don't know how you can watch (and listen to) him coach during games and come to any other conclusion than he wants to win as badly as anybody has ever wanted to win.

Another amazing stat is that all of his OAD guys have been drafted in the first round.

If they are ready, they go. If they are not they stay for a second year.

So much for being the coach who pushes them out the door whether they are ready of not.

I don't know how you can watch (and listen to) him coach during games and come to any other conclusion than he wants to win as badly as anybody has ever wanted to win.

Oh there's no doubt that he wants to win

Man. I'm against facism but this is not that.

The first 5-6 posts after outlined Cal's stats thuroghly killing the BS post by henrymuto. Just because other people use their free speech to call a troll a retard doesn't equal silencing him.

He can be ignorant. And people can also respond to that with barbs. But there isn't much more to "attack his point" after it was decimated by the first reply showing the dominance of Cal.

Titles take luck. Or the refs that UNCheat gets.

I disagree to your first statement. I think Cal would disagree as well. Cal will play and coach players in a manner that will get them ready for the pros, even if it means they will go through some harder times than if he just maximized their current strengths.

To reiterate, K, Roy, Self, etc., will play to a players strengths, at the expense of not getting them ready for their role in the league. Cal, from day one, focuses on getting a player ready for the role in the league, even if it means they will struggle early on.

Don't get me wrong, Cal and the players all want to win. But, they are playing for something larger than college basketball. They are being prepared/preparing for life. If you want a coach that wants to win college basketball championships first then Cal is not your guy. If you want a coach that will develop young men, a true leader of men (not some bullshit excuse for one like coach K), then Cal is your guy.

These are just my opinions, which have been backed up by several players own comments. They are happy, UK is still winning, and they are bettering their and their families lives. So, it's a win-win-win-....-win situation. :)

Cal is also a champion at being THE ONLY COACH EVER to take 2 different teams from non BCS conferences to the Final Four.
This. I don't think folks realize what a phenomenal job it was to get Umass to the FF. look at them before he got there and now.

Ponder this question. If you were told when Coach Cal was hired by UK as their BB coach that after the NBA draft in 2017, Cal would have coached 17 NBA lottery picks, how many NCAA Championships would you have expected him to win during that same time period? I don't want to hear about Sweet 16's, Elite 8's and Final Fours. I am talking Championship banners hanging from the rafters at Rupp Arena..
How many did Dean Smith win having Jordan, Perkins, and Worthy for 3 years?
How many did Guy Lewis win having Drexler and Hakeem for 3 years?

You mean like Diallo or Jones and Lamb? Guys like that? Or guys like the Harrison twins? Or guys like Ulis?

I disagree to your first statement. I think Cal would disagree as well. Cal will play and coach players in a manner that will get them ready for the pros, even if it means they will go through some harder times than if he just maximized their current strengths.

To reiterate, K, Roy, Self, etc., will play to a players strengths, at the expense of not getting them ready for their role in the league. Cal, from day one, focuses on getting a player ready for the role in the league, even if it means they will struggle early on.

Don't get me wrong, Cal and the players all want to win. But, they are playing for something larger than college basketball. They are being prepared/preparing for life. If you want a coach that wants to win college basketball championships first then Cal is not your guy. If you want a coach that will develop young men, a true leader of men (not some bullshit excuse for one like coach K), then Cal is your guy.

These are just my opinions, which have been backed up by several players own comments. They are happy, UK is still winning, and they are bettering their and their families lives. So, it's a win-win-win-....-win situation. :)

But you don't think that by getting players ready for the pros, it doesn't help our team as well? Sure we might drop more games in Nov/Dec but by March, we are better for it. For example, when he first came and he made Patterson play out on the perimeter. Was that done to help his draft stock? Of course. Did it also make the team better in the end? I don't think there's any question.

That's why I say the two are intertwined. By improving the players draft stock, it ultimately improves the team as a whole. I'm not sure how that can be debated given how good we normally become by March.

As far as the Diallo situation another poster was saying up top. Of course.....if he left without playing a second at UK, it would have been solely for his benefit and not the benefit of UK. But I'm of the opinion it played out exactly as Cal thought it would. He would be a part of the team and practice with them, test the waters to see where he stands, and eventually come back to play next year. The only reason anyone could say Cal only cared about Diallo and not UK would be if Cal KNEW before signing him he would definitely jump. That clearly wasn't the case tho. Diallo is gonna be here next year and he's gonna be a huge help. And he had the benefit of practicing a half a year with the team. It's gonna work out for both Diallo and UK

But you don't think that by getting players ready for the pros, it doesn't help our team as well? Sure we might drop more games in Nov/Dec but by March, we are better for it. For example, when he first came and he made Patterson play out on the perimeter. Was that done to help his draft stock? Of course. Did it also make the team better in the end? I don't think there's any question.

That's why I say the two are intertwined. By improving the players draft stock, it ultimately improves the team as a whole. I'm not sure how that can be debated given how good we normally become by March.

As far as the Diallo situation another poster was saying up top. Of course.....if he left without playing a second at UK, it would have been solely for his benefit and not the benefit of UK. But I'm of the opinion it played out exactly as Cal thought it would. He would be a part of the team and practice with them, test the waters to see where he stands, and eventually come back to play next year. The only reason anyone could say Cal only cared about Diallo and not UK would be if Cal KNEW before signing him he would definitely jump. That clearly wasn't the case tho. Diallo is gonna be here next year and he's gonna be a huge help. And he had the benefit of practicing a half a year with the team. It's gonna work out for both Diallo and UK

I don't think it's all or nothing, no. But, I do think it has taken some players longer than the full season before they start to see the positives outweigh the negatives. For example, Randle would have been dominant playing in the post with his back to the basket about 3-7 feet out from the rim. He was virtually unstoppable in that area of his game. However, Cal knew that he would need to develop a mid-range game for the league. So, at the behest of fans and pilling up wins (which are now not so meaningful to JR's family and even JR), Cal forced him out of his comfort zone. JR was never as good playing away from the basket as he was catching it in the post. So, I would argue that the team was not as good as it could be. However, by working away from the basket, JR is far better suited for the pro game (which IS meaningful to his family and himself).

This is what I am trying to get at. Luckily for UK fans Cal is a great coach. So he can usually get this transitional period over with by tourney time. However, as we've seen, he is not willing to sacrifice a players future just so we can beat our chests with another championship. Sure, he wants them badly, and so do the players. But, he wants for the players to have a better life, and for their kids to have a better life, and so on, more than making us happy and winning championships.

Some UK 'fans' don't like that about Cal. I am not one of them.

You mean like Diallo or Jones and Lamb? Guys like that? Or guys like the Harrison twins? Or guys like Ulis?

Yes actually, that's exactly what I mean. However, Ulis was not a fringe first rounder after his freshmen year. Come to think of it, I think Jones was the only fringe first rounder that returned, and that was due to the potential for the league to go on strike.

Get some reading comprehension and go back and examine the part of my post where I say that he needs to get more "fringe first rounders" to return. The only one you named was Jones. The rest were not projected first round after their freshmen year.

Yes actually, that's exactly what I mean. However, Ulis was not a fringe first rounder after his freshmen year. Come to think of it, I think Jones was the only fringe first rounder that returned, and that was due to the potential for the league to go on strike.

Get some reading comprehension and go back and examine the part of my post where I say that he needs to get more "fringe first rounders" to return. The only one you named was Jones. The rest were not projected first round after their freshmen year.
You have an agenda and facts will not get in your way I see. Carry on

You have an agenda and facts will not get in your way I see. Carry on

My only agenda is to be of the opinion that teams lacking a quality upperclassmen have ZERO shot at winning the title. And that FACT is most definitely getting in the way at UK.

My only agenda is to be of the opinion that teams lacking a quality upperclassmen have ZERO shot at winning the title. And that FACT is most definitely getting in the way at UK.
Says you. Cal ain't gonna change his recruiting unless a rule change forces him to do that. So i guess you can keep complaining about it or be a fan of another team.

Fascism??? Oh please get off your high horse. Do you even know what that word means? He was ridiculed for a ridiculous take just as you are being ridiculed for your off the wall take. Ridicule is s form of opinion also so maybe your the fascist.....nah your just a douche.

Vegas disagrees with your zero shot so how is that a fact?

Vegas disagrees with your zero shot so how is that a fact?

I'm basing it off past national champions, not Vegas odds trying to predict a future champion. Are you kidding me? Wow.

Show me the previous winner(s) that have had ZERO upperclassmen as contributors. You can't.

ADVERTISEMENT