ADVERTISEMENT

4th in the SECE? I'll take the under (better than 4th) all day long

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Not sold on USC. With a healthy Levis and CRod, I think we beat them. They were improved but I think we handle them this year.
UT has our number but expect them to take a step back with key losses on both sides, plus we get them at home.
Think UF may be better than most folks are predicting (5th).

But, an improved offense with an even better defense tells me we'll be fighting for 2nd all season long barring something catastrophic. Georgia is too good, too deep, too well-coached to expect anyone to knock them off.

The West should really be interesting. Bama looks to take a step back at QB (perhaps a BIG step back) but the remainder of the squad is populated with 4-5* talent. They'll be really good again.
LSU is a definite challenger if their QB plays as well as he did the back half of the season last year. A ton of talent there, also.
The others (A&M, AU, AR, Ole Miss, MSU) will have below average to above average seasons, imo. Anywhere from 4-8 to 8-4 but I don't expect any of these 5 to mount serious challenge to the top two.

I mean, they went 8-5/4-4 last year with wins over UT and Clemson to close out the regular season. It's not outrageous that they have them ahead of us. I think 3-5 can end up in any order.

Very true. We could finish 2nd but that requires actually beating TN to do so IMO

Reactions: Rockford
Scar fans feel like they should have won by more but I feel like that was one of our 2 worst games played in 2 years. The guys just gave up that day for some reason. If we get anything on offense this year then we win 2 more than last year.

Those inexcusable losses to USCjr and Vandy absolutely killed last season.

When Stoops fails he tends to fail biggly and those were terrible losses for us.
The aggravating thing about those terrible losses are they always have the same blueprint. Terrible offense and ST's. And in the case of the USCE game, we never have the backup QB ready to play. We made good hires to correct those problems but besides 2016 and 2021 our offense has mostly been terrible and besides the Dean Hood years out ST's have mostly been terrible. It's a shame because our defense is usually really good.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
UK IN THE PRESEASON POLL Where reporters have predicted Kentucky to finish in the SEC East during the Mark Stoops era (with actual finish in parentheses):
2023: Fourth
2022: Second (4th)
2021: Third (2nd)
2020: Fourth (4th)
2019: Sixth (5th)
2018: Fifth (2nd)
2017: Fifth (3rd)
2016: Fourth (4th)
2015: Sixth (5th)
2014: Seventh (6th)
2013: Seventh (7th)

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...-football/article277386383.html#storylink=cpy

The predictions are most likely are based on unknowns on offense, new quarterback, revamped offensive line. The defense should be dominate most of the time. If the offense clicks this team could be scary in a good way. UK has some big time offensive playmakers.

When Stoops fails he tends to fail biggly and those were terrible losses for us.
Vandy was a bad outing for us no doubt, but Junior was a pretty good team last year and we played without Levis in that game, so it's a tough loss but I don't blame Stoops for doing anything to lose that one.

Between the O-line woes, Levis' injuries, CRod missing games, it was just a tough year for the CATS.

The predictions are most likely are based on unknowns on offense, new quarterback, revamped offensive line. The defense should be dominate most of the time. If the offense clicks this team could be scary in a good way. UK has some big time offensive playmakers.
This^^^

Not sold on USC. With a healthy Levis and CRod, I think we beat them. They were improved but I think we handle them this year.
UT has our number but expect them to take a step back with key losses on both sides, plus we get them at home.
Think UF may be
Vandy was a bad outing for us no doubt, but Junior was a pretty good team last year and we played without Levis in that game, so it's a tough loss but I don't blame Stoops for doing anything to lose that one.

Between the O-line woes, Levis' injuries, CRod missing games, it was just a tough year for the CATS.

Junior really improved as the year went alone last year, don't think they beak UK if QB was a go, but that's part of the deal. That trick play, so out of character for CMS, turned into a disaster for UK and let Junior think they could win. They beat 2 top 10 teams and removed both from playoff talks to end the season. Three big wins to close the year gives them hope for a big season

Think UF may be better than most folks are predicting (5th).

But, an improved offense with an even better defense tells me we'll be fighting for 2nd all season long barring something catastrophic. Georgia is too good, too deep, too well-coached to expect anyone to knock them off.

The West should really be interesting. Bama looks to take a step back at QB (perhaps a BIG step back) but the remainder of the squad is populated with 4-5* talent. They'll be really good again.
LSU is a definite challenger if their QB plays as well as he did the back half of the season last year. A ton of talent there, also.
The others (A&M, AU, AR, Ole Miss, MSU) will have below average to above average seasons, imo. Anywhere from 4-8 to 8-4 but I don't expect any of these 5 to mount serious challenge to the top two.
According to the article on here, Candy got 8 first place votes.

Those people should NEVER be allowed to write an article for college football ever again.

South Carolina is the best team ever and Shane Beamer totally isn't being shoved down everyones throat!👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Reactions: hmt5000 and JC-3
South Carolina is the best team ever and Shane Beamer totally isn't being shoved down everyones throat!👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
And Rattler is the best qb in the conference and has never had issues with teammates....

UK vs South Carolina is one game I can’t wait to see. Especially after Beamer broke out the sunglasses last year after the win. I have a feeling that will be all over the bulletin board all week leading up to it.

Thats where I am. We are running a whole new bunch out at the top 6 positions on offense. Without a good OL and QB the WRs and RBs do not matter. Anyone predicting great success is betting on a come. Im expecting a solid season but I simply cannot ignore the fact that last year we had issues and this year we have greenhorns in our scheme and when/whether they gel will determine our success.. Could be much better but dont even think it cant be worse.

I imagine there isn't a coach in the SEC who gives a damn where the writers pick their team to finish during the preseason predictions. I know Stoops doesn't. You are probably right about the perceived unknowns with UK's 2023 football team. The biggest perceived unknown, of course, is our OL. As UK fans, we tend to believe all these variables will break our way. That's what is great about the preseason. Everyone is undefeated.

until stoops fixes the offense, we will always be ranked lower than we should. We have to make it work on the offensive end.

We are a mid tier SEC team, IMHO.

Those losses show we are closer to the bottom tier than the top.

The SEC is a harsh mistress.

until stoops fixes the offense, we will always be ranked lower than we should. We have to make it work on the offensive end.
It has been said by smart people that offense makes headlines but defense wins championships. I think that is a little too simplistic but it also contains an element of common sense. We lost winnable games last year because we could not score points when the outcome was on the line. No doubt about that. But OTOH, the construction of our defensive culture under Coach White and the Stoops brothers has built a foundation for a top tier SEC football program as long as Coach Coen can close the deal starting this season. In the past, UK has had some very productive offensive teams that lost key SEC games due to not having enough defense. I don't think that will be as much of a problem in the future, and our performance last year against GA went a long way toward convincing me. All eyes are on Coach Coen now.

It has been said by smart people that offense makes headlines but defense wins championships. I think that is a little too simplistic but it also contains an element of common sense. We lost winnable games last year because we could not score points when the outcome was on the line. No doubt about that. But OTOH, the construction of our defensive culture under Coach White and the Stoops brothers has built a foundation for a top tier SEC football program as long as Coach Coen can close the deal starting this season. In the past, UK has had some very productive offensive teams that lost key SEC games due to not having enough defense. I don't think that will be as much of a problem in the future, and our performance last year against GA went a long way toward convincing me. All eyes are on Coach Coen now.
Oh I agree and our D is where it should be. He just needs to have that next component and be able to outscore people when needed.

Oh I agree and our D is where it should be. He just needs to have that next component and be able to outscore people when needed.
Definitely. But special teams also killed us last year, and the Boulware hire is making a difference. That alone should probably save us a game or two.

Reactions: Deli owl and JC-3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT