ADVERTISEMENT

$15 dollar hr minimum wage?

Meanwhile caravans in central America are forming and heading toward our southern border demanding Biden and the democrats honor their commitments for lax border security, citizenship, etc. But, but poor Americans are suffering. GTFOH.

We’re going to need the the illegals to pay low wages and under the table after the min wage raises lol.

Reactions: awf
I trust your expertise on these matters as you're out in the business world, but I'm paying $10 for a combo meal right now. Where's that money going? It was 4 or 5 bucks at the start of the last decade.

I would say cost of goods and operating expenses are significantly higher than a decade ago. I’d say there’s been an increase in wages, just not that much. Fast food workers should be more nervous than any worker out there. Their jobs is low hanging fruit on the automation tree. When I order now, I put it into an app, walk in, pick it up and leave. I don’t need to wait in a six deep line of people to say “give me a #2”. A decade ago, this wasn’t possible, technology is there to automate out a lot of the restaurant and fast food industry.

Reactions: goukcatsgo
The problem wasn't they lacked a job, it was the jobs they had did not pay enough to keep pace with basic necessities of life. We've had the cost of everything skyrocket the last 20 years, while wages have largely been stagnant. I don't purport to have an answer to that issue, but it's definitely a problem.
I’m not sure where you are getting your information but let’s look at facts. Inflation over the last 20 years has averaged less than 3% per year. Costs haven’t skyrocketed. Wages growth was very stagnant under Obama because his economic policies didn’t create growth in the economy. Labor is not any different than any other good. The price of it has to do with supply and demand. However, prior to the pandemic we were seeing wage growth because of full employment. Wage growth under the first three years of the Trump administration was better than the average of the last 40 years. This is due to the country pretty much being at full employment.

Last edited:
The problem wasn't they lacked a job, it was the jobs they had did not pay enough to keep pace with basic necessities of life. We've had the cost of everything skyrocket the last 20 years, while wages have largely been stagnant. I don't purport to have an answer to that issue, but it's definitely a problem.

If there’s more open jobs than available workers, as it was just a year ago, the wages rise, as they just were.

A $15 min wage coming out of Covid is a disaster. Those businesses that are barely hanging on will cut jobs or go under.

Reactions: qwesley and awf
Im an independent.. some views are more left and some are more right. one of my right leaning views is that raising minimum wage by that much is awful.

Businesses wont raise wages of people making 15-20$ an hour currently... so suddenly those jobs will be basically minimum wage jobs .. so this might be good in the short term for minimum wage job employees but in months businesses all over will adjust prices to make 15$ an hour still feel like making 10$ an hour because the ratio of income to expenses will even out again like always. Basically all that happens is people making 15$-20$ an hour right now will suddenly go into minimum wage territory and ultimately be losing ...

I would say cost of goods and operating expenses are significantly higher than a decade ago. I’d say there’s been an increase in wages, just not that much. Fast food workers should be more nervous than any worker out there. Their jobs is low hanging fruit on the automation tree. When I order now, I put it into an app, walk in, pick it up and leave. I don’t need to wait in a six deep line of people to say “give me a #2”. A decade ago, this wasn’t possible, technology is there to automate out a lot of the restaurant and fast food industry.

Automation is going to continue to accelerate, no matter what the minimum wage is. Banks have been closing branches left and right, why do you need to go to a bank branch anymore? I deposit 95% or more of my money by phone apps or electronic transfers. I refinanced in 2019 and never met my loan officer, I have also never met my insurance agent. Would not know what either one looks like if they came to my front door right now. I just don't think that has any impact at all on the min wage issue.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Automation is going to continue to accelerate, no matter what the minimum wage is. Banks have been closing branches left and right, why do you need to go to a bank branch anymore? I deposit 95% or more of my money by phone apps or electronic transfers. I refinanced in 2019 and never met my loan officer, I have also never met my insurance agent. Would not know what either one looks like if they came to my front door right now. I just don't think that has any impact at all on the min wage issue.
I agree businesses will continue to automate, the min wage increase will accelerate that for low wage employees. At $7.25/hr, there may not be an incentive because you have to pay for that automation. If you double the labor cost, it increases the ROI to invest in automation. I build business cases all the time with our technology and it’s always based around the cost of our software vs. labor costs.

Reactions: awf and Tskware
That’s true but if these policies go through then it is upped to 15/hr or whatever.

Plus, as Funky said earlier if you raise it 15 then you have to increase the pay for other employees who have been there for x amount of time. Complete crock of 💩
If they raise the minimum wage to $15......what does that do for the goober who busted his ass to get up to $15 dollars an hour.......a new company bought out Kindred a few years ago.......before they took over Kindred would basically pay new people what they put on their application that they wanted......My wife had been there for 16 yrs.....they would hire new people in and they would be making more than she was after 16 yrs.....the new company came in and leveled everyone up......she got a raise that was a little over $11 an hour......I guess you can't just throw money at people and think it will make them work harder, or be on time....I prefer merrit based raises......I don't think accross the board raises for everyone really works.........the slackers figure they can keep slacking and the hustlers start to realize their productivity isn't appreciated and get bad attitudes.....The boss told me to tell our emloyees they were getting a sizeable raise.....I just figured that I would get one too.......I was salary but I had put in many night hours and weekend hours checking on jobs that we had going......I averaged a little over 72 hrs a week that year...I didn't get a raise...when I inquired as to why I didn't get a raise along with the hourly workers...their reason was I had recieved a large raise the previous year.......Yeah, I went from lead carpenter to the general superintendent of the company. I spent a lot of time lobbying for "merit" raises......quit....for two weeks....they called me back and we switched to merit raises.......

Reactions: warrior-cat
It shouldn't. That 2 or 3% isn't a "raise" it's simply an adjustment to bring their current wage up to the real value as the previous year.
I have been on SS for a few years.......this year we got a 1.3% COLA.........if the LG&E rates get approved......my 1.3% isn't goning to cover the 12% electrical & 9% gas rate increase.........so how do you come up with 2 - 3%. I have planned for my future and if the Dems don't tax me to death on our 401K I can live good without any increases......merit based raises are best.......

Don’t forget about unlimited internet access on their iPhone.
Family accross the street live in a Section* housing, food stamps, repair vouchers for their car, free phones around and free medical............they have been over there for six or seven years........neither the man or the woman works.....he worked for me one time doing some painting......till he F'ked up a $800 slab of marble.....that was when they first moved in and he told me he was a painter........this is a prime example of what is wrong with this country......I can see helping "needy" people.......hell everyone hits a rough patch.......but there is a segament of our society that thinks the rest of society should keep them up........

Honestly, I doesn’t matter. Your stat was very eye opening. It’s .5% of the workforce. It won’t cause inflation because it doesn’t effect enough people like I thought. It doesn’t effect cost of living because the people making it aren’t paying for their living. It’s just a meaningless political talking point that gets people arguing while more important things get overlooked. So I’m bowing out of the conversation because it’s an insignificant action that doesn’t really effect anything or anyone.
If you think raising the minimum wage to $15 is insignificant....... then watch the price of a hamburger at White Castle when they raise the minimum wage.......it will be in effect a shadow tax on everyone else.........corporations are not going to absorb the raise in cost......

Reactions: mdlUK.1
If min wage doubles all at once, expect the price of everything to go up significantly. It will initially hurt the middle class whose incomes won't rise but will have to pay more for goods and services since the price in increased salaries will be passed along to consumers. If increased cost of items are not deemed necessary by the average consumer they may decide not to pay for said items which means minimum wage earners will lose jobs.

Minimum wage should staggered over a few years.

If you think raising the minimum wage to $15 is insignificant....... then watch the price of a hamburger at White Castle when they raise the minimum wage.......it will be in effect a shadow tax on everyone else.........corporations are not going to absorb the raise in cost......

It’s not doubling all at once WTF are you guys talking about with 15 an hour

Family accross the street live in a Section* housing, food stamps, repair vouchers for their car, free phones around and free medical............they have been over there for six or seven years........neither the man or the woman works.....he worked for me one time doing some painting......till he F'ked up a $800 slab of marble.....that was when they first moved in and he told me he was a painter........this is a prime example of what is wrong with this country......I can see helping "needy" people.......hell everyone hits a rough patch.......but there is a segament of our society that thinks the rest of society should keep them up........
So true, I have family members like that.
I grew up lower middle class in a single wide trailer. I’m now 45 with a beautiful wife of 22 years and 4 kids. I’m in sales and doing pretty good, We should be millionaires in a couple of years. Not bragging just pointing out that hard work and good decisions, Especially GOOD decisions determine outcomes more than circumstances.
Graduate from high school, get married, then have kids, in that order and you’ll have a pretty good chance of not being poor in America.

In theory, yes, but are there enough rungs up?

The reality of the situation is the cost of living has exploded and wages have not. There’s gonna be a ton of people subjected to deeper levels of poverty without some kind of action, and that in turn leads to a lot of other societal issues that wind up affecting everyone.

I have no idea if higher min wage is the answer, but the current scenario isn’t working too hot, either.

Part of the reason cost of living increased at a faster pace is because of government subsidy to individuals (aka handouts). Stop that and you stop the unnatural rise on cost of living.

Minimum wage should be indexed to inflation yearly. There's been no increase nationally since 2007 and it's not like inflation disappeared over the last 13 years. It probably doesn't need to be $15 but it should probably be in the $10-12 ballpark to this point.

I agree this is the best compromise but the problem arises from the people in charge of determining what that rate of inflation looks like. Inevitably it will be about feelings instead of facts.

Im an independent

Hahaha

Reactions: qwesley and awf

That assumes there will still be a white castle. There probably will, because they'll just automate it via a phone app, kiosk, or both.

However the smaller privately owned business will be done because they can't clear that hurdle. That isn't just one job lost - it's multiple. Then the effect ripples into the community and throughout the nation. Less producers, producing less on the overall whole; just like friedman warned.

All this really accomplishes is an acceleration into consolidation at the top via rising expenses and automation. That's far from a good thing for our society and marked clearly with warning signs. But it'll happen anyway because logic long ago escaped the majority of people in charge.

Reactions: SDC_99 and awf
In my situation, if you can make $15 at McDonald's, why would you work in a distribution center? Quick answer is, you won't.

That means we have to raise our wages to at least $17/hrs to entice new hires. Possibly more. This is a direct cost that will need to be made up. Most likely, not hiring FTE's and PT instead. No benefits.

The larger companies can absorb the cost and with little increase in prices to the consumer. Small businesses will have no choice but to pass them on, or lay off in order to survive. However, when this happens, people will see Big Box Store is cheaper and take their business there and SB goes under thus making BBS that much bigger.

I am very familiar with a company based out of Florida who stated due to their newly passed $15 minimum wage laws, they are looking to head elsewhere. In their business they cannot survive at those rates without cutting bonus plans...which is a good portion of their salaries.

It is the question of whether or not we decide that we are willing to pay higher prices for most things (inevitable) or be content with paying a class of people a wage that they cannot possibly live on without other taxpayers' help (which is the situation now.)

It’s not doubling all at once WTF are you guys talking about with 15 an hour
The when doesn't matter...........it is the principle of the whole damn mess that bothers me......I want a bigger increase to my Social Security..........Everyone wants more............that is supposed to be the motor that keeps people going........when you start handing out just because of "want" then that takes away the impetus to try.......if they are going to give my neighbor $15 dollars to flip burgers.......then I want $500 an hour for my skills as a master carpenter........The accountant wants more because of his skills with numbers..........once you start giving more money to people whose skills are not commensurate with their pay it smacks the person who has learned a valuable skill.........Hell......let's just pass a law that everyone makes $50 and hour.......don't matter if you are a brain surgeon or a street sweeper..............

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Wouldn't the number of people effected be those making under $15 an hour not just the number of people currently making minimum wage?
It would also impact those making around $15-20 as well. You bump the people below them with less skill and experience to their pay range, you’d have to bump those up as well.

As @bigblueinsanity described - the ripple would be huge. End result would likely be just to cut some employees and hours.

If they raise the minimum wage to $15......what does that do for the goober who busted his ass to get up to $15 dollars an hour.......a new company bought out Kindred a few years ago.......before they took over Kindred would basically pay new people what they put on their application that they wanted......My wife had been there for 16 yrs.....they would hire new people in and they would be making more than she was after 16 yrs.....the new company came in and leveled everyone up......she got a raise that was a little over $11 an hour......I guess you can't just throw money at people and think it will make them work harder, or be on time....I prefer merrit based raises......I don't think accross the board raises for everyone really works.........the slackers figure they can keep slacking and the hustlers start to realize their productivity isn't appreciated and get bad attitudes.....The boss told me to tell our emloyees they were getting a sizeable raise.....I just figured that I would get one too.......I was salary but I had put in many night hours and weekend hours checking on jobs that we had going......I averaged a little over 72 hrs a week that year...I didn't get a raise...when I inquired as to why I didn't get a raise along with the hourly workers...their reason was I had recieved a large raise the previous year.......Yeah, I went from lead carpenter to the general superintendent of the company. I spent a lot of time lobbying for "merit" raises......quit....for two weeks....they called me back and we switched to merit raises.......
Same thing happened to my wife a couple of years back with a new worker doing the same thing as her. He set his salary, they met it and when she ask the boss why a guy just starting is making more than her (Working there at least 10 years now ) he said that corporate was getting ready to give her a raise shortly. 2 years later and he now says that they could not do it then but it is coming soon. Yeah, OK.

• Sad
Reactions: exemjr and awf
Same thing happened to my wife a couple of years back with a new worker doing the same thing as her. He set his salary, they met it and when she ask the boss why a guy just starting is making more than her (Working there at least 10 years now ) he said that corporate was getting ready to give her a raise shortly. 2 years later and he now says that they could not do it then but it is coming soon. Yeah, OK.
my wife was training people who were making $5-$10 dollars more than she was.......Hopefully they will come through for your wife.....it can be discouraging......

It is the question of whether or not we decide that we are willing to pay higher prices for most things (inevitable) or be content with paying a class of people a wage that they cannot possibly live on without other taxpayers' help (which is the situation now.)
False Dichotomy.

The issue is that kids don't work anymore. I'm not that old... I worked in fast food 24 years ago and the weekend and evening workers were almost all high school students. Now, very few who work in fast food are students. These jobs need to be viewed as entry level positions. No reason why fast food should be a "living wage". it's a gateway job where if you can prove yourself you can take a step up. Same goes for a lot of other jobs.

Last edited:
False Dichotomy.

The issue is that kids don't work anymore. I'm not that old... I worked in fast food 24 years ago and the weekend and evening workers were almost all high school students. Now, very few who work in fast food are students. These jobs need to be viewed as entry level positions. No reason why fast food should be a "living wage". it's a gateway job where if you can prove yourself you can take a step up. Same goes for a lot of other jobs.

Good grief. Where did I mention fast food joints? And just what and where are these good jobs these millions of low paid workers are supposed to "step up" to? Those jobs left here 25-30 years ago. Serious question.

DC is living in a dream world if they think companies are going to start shelling out $15/hr like a pez dispenser. Not happening. Companies will streamline their work force meaning fewer jobs or raise prices to the consumer. Mommy and daddy just getting by won’t be buying $8 happy meals. Instead of 2 for $20 at Applebee’s, make that 2 for $30.

Good grief. Where did I mention fast food joints? And just what and where are these good jobs these millions of low paid workers are supposed to "step up" to? Those jobs left here 25-30 years ago. Serious question.

where I live, in rural west Ky, if you have a basic high school diploma and can pass a drug tested I can get you 10+ interviews for jobs starting between 15-18 per hour with decent benefits. Right now. Probably 3 or 4 interviews before the end of the week...

The reality of the situation is the cost of living has exploded and wages have not. There’s gonna be a ton of people subjected to deeper levels of poverty without some kind of action, and that in turn leads to a lot of other societal issues that wind up affecting everyone.

I have no idea if higher min wage is the answer, but the current scenario isn’t working too hot, either.

I will admit I am very ignorant regarding the facts. So, poverty in the US is increasing?

If so, why does UPS offer bonuses if you show up to work on time and a free college education if you work 3rd shift?

I will admit I am very ignorant regarding the facts. So, poverty in the US is increasing?

If so, why does UPS offer bonuses if you show up to work on time and a free college education if you work 3rd shift?

I'd expand on this. Respectfully to Jeff. Cost of living has certainly not "exploded". We are in the longest "depressed inflation" period in our history right now. Cost of living is rising at a very low rate...

poverty is not increasing in the US. See attached. https://www.statista.com/statistics/200463/us-poverty-rate-since-1990/

Inflation

Last edited:
Reactions: awf and entropy13

the cost of living hasn't exploded....ppl thinking they need 1200 Iphones, 72 in flat screens in every room of their 300,000 dollar house that they never could afford to begin with has.

minimum wage jobs were never intended to support a family. they were for high school kids or a part time job for some supplemental income.

now ppl think they should work 25 hrs a week at foot locker and afford a new car and nice apt with the newest gadgets.

the cost of living hasn't exploded....ppl thinking they need 1200 Iphones, 72 in flat screens in every room of their 300,000 dollar house that they never could afford to begin with has.

minimum wage jobs were never intended to support a family. they were for high school kids or a part time job for some supplemental income.

now ppl think they should work 25 hrs a week at foot locker and afford a new car and nice apt with the newest gadgets.

This has nothing to do with minimum wage but it is something that has always annoyed the crap out of me. I've spent most of my adult life working 2 jobs. And I've been broke as crap for most of it. My economic situation is entirely my fault, so don't think I'm blaming anyone. Now my 2nd job is one day a week, and it's only to keep my hotel discount.

But I have known SO MANY PEOPLE that barely work. Don't show up half the time, and when they do show up they half ass it. And somehow these people ALWAYS have money. They may complain about being broke but then go on vacation, or come into work with brand new $150 shoes. Where the crap is this money coming from?

I've worked with people that I know for a fact make the same amount of money as me that can somehow afford to live a lifestyle I couldn't even pretend to

Reactions: awf and rudd1
This has nothing to do with minimum wage but it is something that has always annoyed the crap out of me. I've spent most of my adult life working 2 jobs. And I've been broke as crap for most of it. My economic situation is entirely my fault, so don't think I'm blaming anyone. Now my 2nd job is one day a week, and it's only to keep my hotel discount.

But I have known SO MANY PEOPLE that barely work. Don't show up half the time, and when they do show up they half ass it. And somehow these people ALWAYS have money. They may complain about being broke but then go on vacation, or come into work with brand new $150 shoes. Where the crap is this money coming from?

I've worked with people that I know for a fact make the same amount of money as me that can somehow afford to live a lifestyle I couldn't even pretend to
We have a guy at work that constantly complains about not making enough money. Yesterday morning I asked about his weekend, and he said pretty good except he lost $800 at Derby City Gaming.
Again, making good decisions with your money far outweigh what you are making.

If you save $100 per month from age 20-60 and you invest it wisely, you would have $632,000. No excuse for being poor in America. Some would say, I can’t afford $100 per month and I say you don’t need to go to Gatlinburg to get that tattoo either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT