ADVERTISEMENT

$15 dollar hr minimum wage?

The min wage should be based on the lowest cost of area in the county and then states, and local governments may increase it if they desire. The logic here is the cost of living in Tupalo Mississippi is probably about a third of what it might be in San Francisco. Every part of the country is different.

Whatever they decide the min wage to be, the law should provide for automatic annual adjustments based on the BLX index for inflation or other cost of living formula so they don't have to go through this every few years.

Still tip? I stopped during the last recession as a way to save money. Most of my meals these days just involve going to someplace like Chipotle that has a mobile order stand and taking what’s available anyway, so good for the servers getting a little extra cash I guess.

Reactions: awf
The min wage should be based on the lowest cost of area in the county and then states, and local governments may increase it if they desire. The logic here is the cost of living in Tupalo Mississippi is probably about a third of what it might be in San Francisco. Every part of the country is different.

Whatever they decide the min wage to be, the law should provide for automatic annual adjustments based on the BLX index for inflation or other cost of living formula so they don't have to go through this every few years.

This has already been dissected and a minimum wage is idiotic.

YEARS ago we knew this. It hurts people and the economy but because it initially sounds good and makes the idiot trotting the nonsense feel like a better person, it will always remain.

Total and complete idiocy.

Last edited:
There should be no minimum wage, period. 1st, a minimum wage of 15/hr will end up pricing out those that perform the menial jobs that the “minimum wage” is intended for. It will only end up hurting the very young and the under-educated portion of society. No way any employer is going to pay some teenager 15 an hr when they can pay a much more qualified applicant and be pretty sure they will show up and do the job.

2nd, a “minimum wage” was never supposed to a “living wage”. You start out on the low rung and work your way up.

3rd not only will business owners not employ those of need, they will begin to find ways to cut costs (labor) in order to make up for this expanded fixed CODB. This is the one thing that absolutely drives me mad when Big Brother steps in and institutes policies like this. There is not one single business out there, that if forced to take on additional costs, will not cut costs (labor) elsewhere, or come up with a way to make up for it which more than likely would end up raising prices of services offered. Meaning the customer will end up paying for the increase.

Example: McDonalds is now forced to pay 15/hr. They can pay for 10-15 employees to run the place or they can cut the number of employees and have customers place their orders from a kiosk or computer screen. No need for front of the line employees. Then they put in a system that prepares the food by pushing a button, a few more people that can be let go. Etc, etc, etc

My argument is that we should do away with the Minimum Wage. If, for example, McDonalds wants to pay employees X more than Subway then they will attract a more qualified candidate and if Subway wants to keep up they will match, or beat McD’s, which would lead to higher wages across the board. If places of work choose to pay significantly less than others in the same field then they can deal with the fallout.

Last edited:
2nd, a “minimum wage” was never supposed to a “living wage”. You start out on the low rung and work your way up.

In theory, yes, but are there enough rungs up?

The reality of the situation is the cost of living has exploded and wages have not. There’s gonna be a ton of people subjected to deeper levels of poverty without some kind of action, and that in turn leads to a lot of other societal issues that wind up affecting everyone.

I have no idea if higher min wage is the answer, but the current scenario isn’t working too hot, either.

The Dems are crazy........this started out on the west coast.....it has proven out there to hurt the minimum wage workers.....and the consumer........the value of ANY JOB is what ever you can get it done for........I put up straw/hay for 10-12 hrs a day as a 13yr old kid.......for 50 cents an hour........so that I guess was the minimum wage for me......I was willing to bust my butt for 50 cents an hour.......I could have held out for a dollar.........I wouldn't have made any money.........I was taught that if you didn't make enough at your job that maybe you needed to work a 2nd job........I've done that......I didn't cry that I wasn't making enough money........I just worked more hours.....Years ago I started working as a carpenter.....I had been around construction my whole life......I asked my first boss about a raise........he told me that when I learned a new skill I would get a raise......I didn't cry about he wasn't paying me enough.......I learned new skills......I ended up as general superintendant....but.......They didn't give it to me......I worked for it.....

The reality of the situation is the cost of living has exploded and wages have not. There’s gonna be a ton of people subjected to deeper levels of poverty without some kind of action, and that in turn leads to a lot of other societal issues that wind up affecting everyone.

I have no idea if higher min wage is the answer, but the current scenario isn’t working too hot, either.

There are enough rungs up if people take it upon themselves to “pull themselves up from the boot straps”. I guess my main point is that by implementing a minimum wage it sets a floor that no business will ever go above. Plus you completely glossed over the fact that a raised minimum wage will proportionately hurt those that is intended to help. Those on the lower rungs will be forced out by more qualified people that, in theory, will move on up only to be replaced by those waiting in the wings.

Also, and I think that this is something that has been criminally overlooked and not talked about, but one doesn’t need cable tv, internet, the newest cell phone, a car payment, etc, I.E LUXURIES to live.

Not everyone can have everything they want, fair or not. I want to drive a new BMW but it just isn’t in the cards. You want to have nice things then better your situation and trust me, it’s my own fault that I’m not driving that BMW. However, I’m doing pretty good.

Last edited:

In the last year we had unemployment as low as it's been in 50 years. More opportunity than anytime in our lives.

Are there places that actually still pay minimum wage? Even when you see places like McDonald’s advertising hiring they mention paying $9-10.

That’s true but if these policies go through then it is upped to 15/hr or whatever.

Plus, as Funky said earlier if you raise it 15 then you have to increase the pay for other employees who have been there for x amount of time. Complete crock of 💩

Last edited:
Will a fast food shift manager making $13 an hour now stay around and cook burgers and fries for $15 to fill orders from a kiosk?

They are going to have to because those that were cooking the burgers won’t be working there anymore.

The Dems are crazy........this started out on the west coast.....it has proven out there to hurt the minimum wage workers.....and the consumer........the value of ANY JOB is what ever you can get it done for........I put up straw/hay for 10-12 hrs a day as a 13yr old kid.......for 50 cents an hour........so that I guess was the minimum wage for me......I was willing to bust my butt for 50 cents an hour.......I could have held out for a dollar.........I wouldn't have made any money.........I was taught that if you didn't make enough at your job that maybe you needed to work a 2nd job........I've done that......I didn't cry that I wasn't making enough money........I just worked more hours.....Years ago I started working as a carpenter.....I had been around construction my whole life......I asked my first boss about a raise........he told me that when I learned a new skill I would get a raise......I didn't cry about he wasn't paying me enough.......I learned new skills......I ended up as general superintendant....but.......They didn't give it to me......I worked for it.....

yeesh

I almost hate to keep harping on this but here is another example of the unexpected consequences of raising minimum wages. Go into any Wal-Mart(s) or Kroger(s) and see how many “self-checkouts” they have. Every time I go to either of these places I’m amazed at the number of rubes who are standing in line to check their own purchases out.

There are only a few actual check out lines open, with actual paid employees, but there is always a gat dayum line at the self check out area. A whole bunch of people doing the work for free. Kroger(s) doesn't pay me to check out my groceries so why should I? Up that minimum wage to 15 an hour and you have little choice to check out your own purchases, to very little cost to the company, and to the detriment of the little old lady/college student/single parent that used to scan your items and quote you a price. You know, the ones that actually need a paycheck but have now been replaced because the costs just don’t add up.

Uh. Walmart and other will go to self check out and kiosks even if the minimum wage stays the same.

I don’t understand how all you Econ 201 wizards have it all figured out but fail on that one little point. $8hr or $15...big business will turn it into automation either which way.
Probably so, but the higher the minimum wage, the faster this transition happens

Lots of people refuse to use the self checkouts.
They may not have the option if the min wage hike causes the store to reassess. Go to a Meijer after 10pm - self scan only in a lot of cases. That could be the go to strategy w/wage hike. Increase Self Scan registers, decrease human checkout workers. Right now, the formula doesn’t have to change as it’s been stable for years.

In the last year we had unemployment as low as it's been in 50 years. More opportunity than anytime in our lives.

The problem wasn't they lacked a job, it was the jobs they had did not pay enough to keep pace with basic necessities of life. We've had the cost of everything skyrocket the last 20 years, while wages have largely been stagnant. I don't purport to have an answer to that issue, but it's definitely a problem.

As far as the tipping, I'm assuming you are meaning for a sit down meal at a restaurant? The last I knew those people are making $2.01 per hour, not minimum wage. That's been a while so I may be wrong. Did they get bumped up to $8 or whatever it is and I never heard about it? If you are talking about bumping them to $15 per hour then I don't know whether I would tip or not. I know I saw an Adam Ruins Everything where he talked about tipping and said there were restaurants in the US where you were not supposed to tip. They paid them whatever wage they wanted and basically the tip was included in your price. I believe it was basically a weighted average but that the servers actually like it better because they knew what their income was.

Uh. Walmart and other will go to self check out and kiosks even if the minimum wage stays the same.

I don’t understand how all you Econ 201 wizards have it all figured out but fail on that one little point. $8hr or $15...big business will turn it into automation either which way.

Businesses will cut costs (such as payroll) as much as they can. Self-check kiosks are a pain in the ass. If a business can pay some $4/hr to do it, they might and that might be all the job is worth. If a business has to pay $15/hr then it will be all self-check all day, baby.

It is simple logic. People read waaaaaaaaaaay too much pain from their own lives into something that is easy to comprehend.

In this particular case, setting some ridiculously high minimum wage will only hurt the most vulnerable in society but the people championing it will get to feel good and like they mattered so it will of course happen.

Welcome to the decay of civilization. Hopefully China invades so we have some real shit to worry about rather than make believe nonsense.

Businesses will cut costs (such as payroll) as much as they can. Self-check kiosks are a pain in the ass. If a business can pay some $4/hr to do it, they might and that might be all the job is worth. If a business has to pay $15/hr then it will be all self-check all day, baby.

It is simple logic. People read waaaaaaaaaaay too much pain from their own lives into something that is easy to comprehend.

In this particular case, setting some ridiculously high minimum wage will only hurt the most vulnerable in society but the people championing it will get to feel good and like they mattered so it will of course happen.

Welcome to the decay of civilization. Hopefully China invades so we have some real shit to worry about rather than make believe nonsense.
It's coming (China)

The problem wasn't they lacked a job, it was the jobs they had did not pay enough to keep pace with basic necessities of life. We've had the cost of everything skyrocket the last 20 years, while wages have largely been stagnant. I don't purport to have an answer to that issue, but it's definitely a problem.
The higher paying jobs were available, everyone was hiring and the only way to poach employees was to pay more. The problem is most Americans are soft and dont want to work hard. I couldn't find enough employees starting out at $12 hr to work construction. I had guys making nearly $50 hr that were really good too, so plenty of upward mobility.

This has already been dissected and a minimum wage is idiotic.

YEARS ago we knew this. It hurts people and the economy but because it initially sounds good and makes the idiot trotting the nonsense feel like a better person, it will always remain.

Total and complete idiocy.
counterpoint: populism with no regard for cause/effect

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT